ADVERTISEMENT

UK Releases Depth Chart

Faulkner injured his ankle and lost mobility and flexibility from it...after this his breaks on the ball lacked explosion...he was also likely overrated.

I sure hope this chart includes FR that will redshirt this year. Hate to see a year wasted just to have depth at the DE position.
The new enrollees who reported in June and July are not on here, hopefully a couple of JUCO guys can add some depth across the board.

Can't speak on their thoughts on who will play and RS, but haven't seen many true freshman seasons wasted under Stoops (especially on defense)...McClain, Randolph, Hatcher and even Elam logged time in most if not all of the games their freshmen seasons, some very significant time. I would think if your son had a Hatcher type freshman season that it wouldn't be a waste - you are right though, hopefully Miggins and Bell can arrive and really make an impact in the lineup.

Check out a guy like Bud Duprees freshman season as well.

Yeah feel like Stoops has done really well with redshirting guys. Now OTOH if there is a freshman or two he feels like can help the team win and get us to a bowl game, he'll play them.

Gotta say, after looking at the depth chart, you gotta really like where things are heading under this staff. See alot of talent on the offense and defense. If we could just get Love eligible I'd feel much better about the DEPTH of the LB's. But there's some serious talent there, obviously a bit untested in Firios, Walker and Ware, but man, like others have said, gotta feel good about that front 7 and the safety spot. If we can just get those corners locked down our defense could be pretty good.

Offense, WOW! Look at all that height at WR. Think this is going to be a really exciting offense to watch. From a weight/height perspective the Oline looks like an SEC line. Big George is gonna be huge this year, so glad he was able to get here in January.

A depth chart released at this time is only released to fulfill a deadline for the Media Guide. It's fairly meaningless until the first week of game prep. Though, I guess it's something to discuss rather than a glorified, over-hyped, over-blown basketball practice that occurs in October...

Reactions: mrschwump
4-stars obviously have a better success rate than 3-stars when looking at the big picture, but there are a ton of misses in football recruiting rankings. There are a lot of Rivals 4-star prospects like Faulkner who never live up to the Rivals 250 billing.

I sure hope this chart includes FR that will redshirt this year. Hate to see a year wasted just to have depth at the DE position.
The new enrollees who reported in June and July are not on here, hopefully a couple of JUCO guys can add some depth across the board.
Such a refreshing attitude than many parents/players. Glad you and Kengera are looking at his playing days/education long-term. Very impressive.

How does Faulkner go from All World in HS to 4th string?? Or did he just SEEM all world compared to the rest of Joker recruits?

Faulkner has talent he just didn't improve. One of the reasons is that he just isn't a physical player. I am guessing this is why they are moving him to the boundary corner.

The continuation of Stoops' love for the "or" in the QB section irks me to no end. Three years now and it has happened every time like it is some big secret. Give one guy the confidence and assurance he is the man and it will give the other guy more incentive to work hard to knock him off his seat. Quit with the unstableness.

Exactly..not only that but I keep watching these SEC preseason shows where they're talking about the league's best QB's and the first thing they'll mention is how so many of the QB battles in the league remain "undecided". They'll start talking about the league's best QB's and will mention 7 or 8 guys and usually never even mention Towles' name since Stoops hasn't named him the "starter".

Every single draft site I've looked at has Towles ranked as the first or second-best QB in the SEC, yet because Stoops won't name him the starter all of the media in around the SEC think "wow, I thought Towles was good, but if he hasn't even won the QB competition he must not be that good"

I agree with most everything that Stoops does, but when you have what might be the best QB/RB combo in the SEC, and you're putting "or" beside their names on the depth chart (and telling people they're not the starter when they clearly are) it doesn't exactly do a whole lot of good for a program that's competing with teams like Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, and Florida for attention. I'm with Stoops on most things, but highlighting his best players hasn't exactly been his strong suit. I've seen the national and SEC media continually bringing up these points about being shocked that neither Towles or Boom has been named the starter, and it makes them start questioning how good those players really are if they can't even win the starting job on their own team.

Last edited:
Reactions: woodson991
A depth chart released at this time is only released to fulfill a deadline for the Media Guide. It's fairly meaningless until the first week of game prep. Though, I guess it's something to discuss rather than a glorified, over-hyped, over-blown basketball practice that occurs in October...
Imagine CMS feels the same way.

This makes sense. It does, however, offer some insight. In this case, 24/7's clerical error was the only thing that caused me pause.

Exactly..not only that but I keep watching these SEC preseason shows where they're talking about the league's best QB's and the first thing they'll mention is how so many of the QB battles in the league remain "undecided". They'll start talking about the league's best QB's and will mention 7 or 8 guys and usually never even mention Towles' name since Stoops hasn't named him the "starter".

Every single draft site I've looked at has Towles ranked as the first or second-best QB in the SEC, yet because Stoops won't name him the starter all of the media in around the SEC think "wow, I thought Towles was good, but if he hasn't even won the QB competition he must not be that good"

I agree with most everything that Stoops does, but when you have what might be the best QB/RB combo in the SEC, and you're putting "or" beside their names on the depth chart (and telling people they're not the starter when they clearly are) it doesn't exactly do a whole lot of good for a program that's competing with teams like Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, and Florida for attention. I'm with Stoops on most things, but highlighting his best players hasn't exactly been his strong suit. I've seen the national and SEC media continually bringing up these points about being shocked that neither Towles or Boom has been named the starter, and it makes them start questioning how good those players really are if they can't even win the starting job on their own team.

Meh

I am glad Stoops does not cater to that line of thinking.

4-stars obviously have a better success rate than 3-stars when looking at the big picture, but there are a ton of misses in football recruiting rankings. There are a lot of Rivals 4-star prospects like Faulkner who never live up to the Rivals 250 billing.

It would be interesting to study whether four stars is a good predictor of success on the field over 3 stars.

Than again maybe they are thinking does UK really have several players so good at those positions that it is hard for them to decide on a starter. See how that BS works.

I've seen towles mentioned and written about a lot. He is the presumed starter and consistently thought of as top8 to top 3. You need to change where you get your info.

I have also seen Stoops mention that Barker is the real deal and "when the light goes on" he will be a difference maker. We are in a very good spot at QB.

GAA listed as backup LT & RT was a small surprise to me. Looks like they are trying to move some former safeties/current nickels to CB to see if they can stick...nothing too surprising, yet....some guys were banged up during spring, so I'd expect some name swapping during the fall.
After watching him in the spring, I'm not. He's already really good and has a nasty streak. Too good to keep him off the field.

After watching him in the spring, I'm not. He's already really good and has a nasty streak. Too good to keep him off the field.
Not surprised that he is on the depth chart and will play...am surprised that he is listed at #2 tackle on both sides. Thought the transition from HS to college would be easier at guard, but very pleased he can play tackle.

Think our offense is stacked now? Just wait till next year. We only lose two starters.

Cornerback does not concern me. Up the middle does. This team has to stop the run. If the SEC can run the ball at will like last year, there will be no need to challenge our corners. The QBS we face suck, the running backs don't.

The entire defensive line and middle linebackers have to improve vastly from last season.

The continuation of Stoops' love for the "or" in the QB section irks me to no end. Three years now and it has happened every time like it is some big secret. Give one guy the confidence and assurance he is the man and it will give the other guy more incentive to work hard to knock him off his seat. Quit with the unstableness.

The mark of a young inexperienced coach.

**To all that have been critical of Tiller/Quinn being listed as starters.**

Certainly they haven't performed well in the past, but lets gain a little perspective.
-1st - These two have never started as upperclassmen with a reliable front 7.
-2nd - We don't know how frequent the rotation will occur.
-3rd - I don't think a lot of the "stud" freshmen are on campus yet

Certainly they haven't performed well in the past, but lets gain a little perspective.

That may all be very true, probably is. But it doesn't change one very critical fact...neither can run with SEC WRs. Even average SEC WRs streak past those guys as if they were statues.

Fred Tiller was burnt so many times I have nightmares of seeing his name on the back of his jersey. He had an interception gift wrapped against Florida and it bounce into their players hands. Fred Tiller is horrible and the fact nobody can beat him out STILL gives me little hope for us at the CB position this year.

^Hey, I'm not saying that Tiller/Quinn are all world and that we should give them more time.....I'm not seeing the world through blue glasses. What I am saying is that there is more than meets the eye in this situation.

-For example. Schwump said above that "WR's were streaking past them as if they were statues." What was the context?
-Maybe Tiller missed his jam assignment thereby letting the WR blow through. In this instance, it's not that Tiller is slow and can't keep up but rather a display of poor jamming technique.
-Maybe the pass rush didn't get through. Only the elite guys like Revis can cover for extended periods of time.
-Maybe the safety was late. This happens a lot.....A LOT. The CB channels the WR as he can and the safety is supposed to provide help over top. If the safety isn't there, the appearance is that the CB is burned.
-Maybe there is a mix up in coverage. Remember that Tiller/Quinn have only had this coaching staff for 2 yrs. And they were better in yr 2 than they were in yr 1. They had to learn a completely different system......in the midst of a base formation change from 4-3 to 3-4.......and with a first time DC in Eliott (granted he's getting help from CMS).......and a DB coach that was a Graduate Assistant only 4 yrs ago.

And on and on.

I don't think Tiller/Quinn are great by any means, but I do feel they will be better this coming yr. The future for our CB position will be much, much improved in the future.

And, no one has taken their spots in three plus years.

Yeah? Well look at Derek Mason who had a decent QB and he refused to close the QB competition all season. Granted, he is an extreme example. In this case, QB competition helps no one. It's a terrible idea if the goal is to establish confidence in your QB (and your QB needs to be confident). A lot of teams in the SEC are breaking in new QBs, Kentucky shouldn't want to be one of them. Having a confident, established QB is one of the ways Kentucky can separate itself from other SEC teams and is why Kentucky might have a chance to beat Florida, South Carolina, and Vanderbilt. It's also why Kentucky could pick off at least another SEC game. So believe me if you want, but it's good to go for a QB to go through an offseason knowing he is the guy and that it's his offense, nothing helps him become a leader more than that.

It's good to have players earn their spots. Outside of a couple games, Towles was average at best...the open competition in spring was fair, and saying that Towles has a lead but isn't a 100% lock is also fair. Especially breaking in a new OC.

He has made it very clear to the public who is leading the battle...its even more clear to the players themselves...they aren't confused about where they stand or what needs to be done.

I think an extended QB competition when there's no need for one is silly. Towles was a good quarterback, especially considering the offensive line he played behind. There's a reason why the national media is high on Towles, he is absolutely above the average UK QB. My guess is Stoops is trying to appease the segment of the fan base who thinks the grass is greener on the other side and who blame every team issue on the QB.

I think an extended QB competition when there's no need for one is silly. Towles was a good quarterback, especially considering the offensive line he played behind. There's a reason why the national media is high on Towles, he is absolutely above the average UK QB. My guess is Stoops is trying to appease the segment of the fan base who thinks the grass is greener on the other side and who blame every team issue on the QB.

My guess is that, as Stoops's has said, Barker is special and will be a great leader. He sees the benefit in having Drew compete now. This is not a big deal.

Towles ran into sacks and held onto the ball too long just as many times as the OL performed poor and collapsed on him.

The national media is high on Towles because he does have all of the physical tools needed to be a high level NFL prospect. Size, speed, strength, arm strength etc...

I studied his statistics of last year and it was pretty average. He was very comparable to Whitlow and Smith from the prior year in all but 1 or 2 games (MSU/Florida). He has the tools necessary, just really needs to get the mental side down (reads, qb clock, pocket presence, etc)...he is a very smart dude, so I know he can do it.

Towles ran into sacks and held onto the ball too long just as many times as the OL performed poor and collapsed on him.

The national media is high on Towles because he does have all of the physical tools needed to be a high level NFL prospect. Size, speed, strength, arm strength etc...

I studied his statistics of last year and it was pretty average. He was very comparable to Whitlow and Smith from the prior year in all but 1 or 2 games (MSU/Florida). He has the tools necessary, just really needs to get the mental side down (reads, qb clock, pocket presence, etc)...he is a very smart dude, so I know he can do it.

The mental thing is primarily a leadership and confidence issue.

That last sentence is pure BS. If u think Coach Stoops is deterging the starting QBs based on the fan base u know nothing LOL!

Well that's one factor that I think is leading him up do it so call me a "know nothing" if you want.

Trying to remember any time Stoops got cute to cater to the fans. Seems he plays fairly straight. I think some fans get cute with their psychobabble analysis of every little thing.

Trying to remember any time Stoops got cute to cater to the fans. Seems he plays fairly straight. I think some fans get cute with their psychobabble analysis of every little thing.

It's an unusual situation ,which is why the media and most people who keep up with football are perplexed. It's almost unheard of to have a QB competition throughout every summer, especially when your QB is getting so much praise, unless a) he isn't as good as advertised or b) his skill set doesn't match up well with the talent on the team. There's a reason winning teams don't generally do it.

When you have another potential star in the same position, this is not unheard of. Especially when the "starter" is still being praised for potential, rather than consistent success. See Bama, UL and others. If Towles was coming off a season where he passed for 3,500 yards, this would not be an issue. As it is, it really is not an issue.

Some act like the last few years represents the first time Stoops has decided starters and second stringers. He has been doing this for years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT