ADVERTISEMENT

UK Releases Depth Chart

Can already feel some consternation with the CB's. Also, Montgomery is a sophomore, correct?

Does the inclusion of Love/Hart mean the staff feels they may get waivers or am I reading into that too much?

GAA listed as backup LT & RT was a small surprise to me. Looks like they are trying to move some former safeties/current nickels to CB to see if they can stick...nothing too surprising, yet....some guys were banged up during spring, so I'd expect some name swapping during the fall.

Can already feel some consternation with the CB's. Also, Montgomery is a sophomore, correct?

Does the inclusion of Love/Hart mean the staff feels they may get waivers or am I reading into that too much?

Alex is a soph. I wondered the same thing about Love and Hart. Odd to place them in the three deep if not eligible.

A couple of views form me:
-Towles and Boom will be starters. No need for "or"
-Garrett Johnson over Ryan Timmons. That will be a fun competition to watch.
- Montgomery is a So. I look for him to pass Herrick eventually. Herrick is solid though.
- True FR Conrad starting at TE. We may have something special there for 4 years.
I like the size on the OL. GAA is running second string at both T spots. He will play a lot. Can they continue to improve? And, can Swindle keep the false starts down?
- Very solid defensive front 7. No need for the "or" at ML. I think we all know Forrest will start and be very good. Firios will get lots of play though.
- Safety looks to be in good hands. Faulkner moved from safety to 4th string CB. May never see him play meaningful snaps. I think there is a chance for at least one incoming CB to compete for playing time.
-I assume McClain will also start at Nickle.
- No kick returners listed. Any guesses? I would think Boom, Timmons, Johnson, Williams, and King (if he does not RS) will get the first shots at it.

The continuation of Stoops' love for the "or" in the QB section irks me to no end. Three years now and it has happened every time like it is some big secret. Give one guy the confidence and assurance he is the man and it will give the other guy more incentive to work hard to knock him off his seat. Quit with the unstableness.

Reactions: jnewc2
faulkner listed at 4th string cb... guess we are deep at safety if he's not even listed there anymore. and meant passing up cj johnson, wow. gaa listed as backup for both tackle spots. haynes ahead of west at guard and bunchy 3rd string, wow. they have kobie listed at 210# and backing up hatcher... i thought he would be on that other side as more of a coverage backer and he's not gained as much as i'd hoped.

got to think some of this is pressure from the coaches to get some guys to work harder.

I like seeing Forrest listed with a little more weight, too. He's up from 238 last season to 255 lbs. Hopefully, with his added size and experience allowing for quicker reads, he will be a huge surprise at MLB this year.

Give one guy the confidence and assurance he is the man and it will give the other guy more incentive to work hard to knock him off his seat.

Or give one guy a reason to slack up a little knowing he's got the job, and the other guy a reason to pack it in until the next competition.

There is absolutely no reason to name a starter now. Competition is a very good thing in sports.

Reactions: eacsxt
I like seeing Forrest listed with a little more weight, too. He's up from 238 last season to 255 lbs. Hopefully, with his added size and experience allowing for quicker reads, he will be a huge surprise at MLB this year.
i saw a picture of forrest this spring and had hoped he'd of gained more weight... looks like the picture i saw was misleading cause 255 is about perfect.

noone was gonna beat the cb's out this early. if someone takes that spot it will be a few weeks into the season.

noone was gonna beat the cb's out this early. if someone takes that spot it will be a few weeks into the season.
Fall camp this year will be interesting, the talent level has improved so we should see some tough battles for these spots.

The 'or' in front of Firios shouldn't be there. Was evidently a typo. Here's the UK Media guide from which this info was taken.

CJzXTyKUcAAZa_2.jpg

The continuation of Stoops' love for the "or" in the QB section irks me to no end. Three years now and it has happened every time like it is some big secret. Give one guy the confidence and assurance he is the man and it will give the other guy more incentive to work hard to knock him off his seat. Quit with the unstableness.

I think it's only a big secret to those who aren't directly associated with the football program.

The word "OR" keeps the players in a competition mode for a longer period of time. I actually like the fact that Coach Stoops keeps the perceived starter working hard to keep his position as well as giving the backup incentive to work hard also to try and take the top spot.

Can't understand why anyone would be upset with this approach.

faulkner listed at 4th string cb... guess we are deep at safety if he's not even listed there anymore. and meant passing up cj johnson, wow. gaa listed as backup for both tackle spots. haynes ahead of west at guard and bunchy 3rd string, wow. they have kobie listed at 210# and backing up hatcher... i thought he would be on that other side as more of a coverage backer and he's not gained as much as i'd hoped.

got to think some of this is pressure from the coaches to get some guys to work harder.

How does Faulkner go from All World in HS to 4th string?? Or did he just SEEM all world compared to the rest of Joker recruits?

Faulkner had one really good showing at a camp without pads, and the same in 7 on 7s which is where his 4 star came from.

Good to see Jabari Johnson on there, he was very productive at times last year when he started getting PT and I think he's got a chance to take a big leap forward. Our D-line really has a chance to surprise some people...

Also certainly think Edwards will be able to slide over and help at corner if needed. We really need someone to step up as a shutdown type guy to go along with Tiller's run support...

Or give one guy a reason to slack up a little knowing he's got the job, and the other guy a reason to pack it in until the next competition.

There is absolutely no reason to name a starter now. Competition is a very good thing in sports.
If the starter slacks and the backup packs it in when a starter is named then you have the wrong two guys in your program. When Patrick is so far ahead of the others for the past two years, but cannot get the nod from his coach until the week before game day it has to be frustrating. The kid had a phenomenal season last year, started every game and is being picked as one of the top returning QBs in the SEC, but yet he can't be named starter before fall practice?

The kid had a phenomenal half season last year. He dropped off significantly over the latter part of the year. I'm quite sure this is bothering you more than it's bothering Towles.

Reactions: mattrudd
I doubt that Towles is very much worried. I am pretty sure he knows the job is his if he doesn't tank it. I think a decision will be made early in fall camp. Heck if Barker some how wins the job that woulds also be great because we know that Towles is a good QB so if Barker were to beat him out that would mean he was even better.

I looked at some of the two deeps and have serious doubt that some of them hold until the end of fall camp.

I sure hope this chart includes FR that will redshirt this year. Hate to see a year wasted just to have depth at the DE position.
The new enrollees who reported in June and July are not on here, hopefully a couple of JUCO guys can add some depth across the board.

I looked at some of the two deeps and have serious doubt that some of them hold until the end of fall camp.

I will be very surprised if Timmons and West are not in the starting lineup. Otherwise, the depth chart looks about right to me.

We really need for Hatcher and Melvin Lewis to take starring roles, and really, really, really need for the young DEs (e.g., Ware, Daniel) to play well this fall if our defense is going to take a big step forward.

How does Faulkner go from All World in HS to 4th string?? Or did he just SEEM all world compared to the rest of Joker recruits?
Faulkner was a 2011 Rivals 250 prospect. Per his Rivals profile, he had only 1 scholarship offer (UK). I suspect academics had a lot to do with his lack of offers (came to UK as a very late qualifier). He came to UK from an extremely challenged academic program (East St. Louis). If he graduates from UK he will have beat the odds regardless of his on field contributions.

Peace

ADVERTISEMENT