ADVERTISEMENT

UF vs UK A Race to 20?

TTU/UK fan

Senior
Gold Member
Oct 5, 2011
Obviously its CFB and sometimes the opposite of what you expect to happen, happens. Just like the low scoring affair in OSU vs ND that was advertised as an upcoming shootout. But looking more into this Florida team, its REALLY hard to see them putting up more than 3 TDs, if that.

They have shown no consistent evidence of being able to put together TD drives in FBS games.

-1 TD drive vs Utah after down 24-3

-They scored TDs on 4 straight drives vs Tennessee. One of which was a 9 yard drive off an INT. All being in the first 5 drives. After that, they had 6 more drives with only 1 going over 18 yards. Tennessee adjusted in the 2nd and pretty well shut Florida down aside from a FG.

-They came out hot again vs Charlotte and scored their 1 and only TD of the game on the opening drive. The Florida offense looked impressive at first each drive but quickly fell flat drive after drive once within the Charlotte 40. Charlotte gave up 4 TDs to Maryland and 5 TDs to Georgia State. Florida put up 1 TD.

All in all, Florida has conjured up 5 total TDs in 3 FBS football games not counting from a 9 yard field thanks to the defense. Go ahead and spare me the argument that we allowed 28 to Vandy. 1 TD was off the Leary INT and one in the closing seconds up 24. I just have a really hard time seeing Florida suddenly throw together TD drives. Only thing that slightly worries me is if we can't get much pressure on Mertz. One thing that has been clear this season is he is very easy to rattle once you can get some pressure on him. And an opposing enviornment makes it worse. His completion % has to be one of the most misleading stats currently in CFB. Florida's offense has looked good for about 4 straight drives in 3 FBS games this season. Thats about it.

The key, to me, will come down to which defense will hold up and who can get past 20. Or who knows, maybe our offense can limit the errors and be who we have seen flashes of this season. It would help if we get the defense Florida brought out vs a since very bad Utah offense rather than the defense of the last 2 weeks. I just think this will be a double digit game. Not a blowout or anything like that, but I think we will be the clear better team in the matchup.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News