ADVERTISEMENT

Trilly update on Lanier visit

The "mutual parting of ways" thing is just damage control.

UK failed in this recruitment and now the word spreading out of Lexington is that it was "mutual."

Not buying it. UT outrecruited us.

He was always going to Tenn (they were tampering several months ago) no other team ever stood a chance

Same with Osobor, he was always going to Washington.

Some kids already know where they are going, but go through the process for a variety of reasons.

UK did not fail with Lanier or Osobor

He was always going to Tenn (they were tampering several months ago) no other team ever stood a chance

Same with Osobor, he was always going to Washington.

Some kids already know where they are going, but go through the process for a variety of reasons.

UK did not fail with Lanier or Osobor
They wasted time recruiting them so yes it was a fail.

I would rather have Robinson than Lanier anyways. He can play positions we need more from at this point.

I haven’t seen Jaylen wells on any mock drafts, Robinson isn’t on many, bleacher report has him at 49. I haven’t seen poplar either. So there are options those 3 would be the main ones

I wanted Lanier pretty bad. The kid is good. But you win some and you lose some. It may have just been a case he’s choosing Tennessee over us. It’s gonna happen. He could’ve been using us as a hat on the table to drive up NIL. That happens too. But IF it was a mutual split, with both parties agreeing it’s in their best interest, it would suggest to me that Lanier wasn’t option 1a and that UK may have good word their first choice is a very viable option. No idea if it’s Robinson, but one would assume. If so I honestly think he fills the gaps in on this roster better than Lanier. If that ends up being the case here, my guess is we finish out the roster shooting for a Riley reclass. I can’t imagine we didn’t have the money to throw at this kid if we really wanted to.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Pilgrim gave an update, basically thinks it was NIL being driven up by the agent. Also said if Jaxson does pull out Kentucky and him have already agreed on his NIL amount
Thanks for the update. I actually like pope even more if he is not gonna be held hostage by player demands. I'm not a giant fan of Hurley but I respect that about him too.

Reactions: Fox2monk and KFuqua
Not going to act like I didn't want Lanier. BUT, there are questions about how his sudden huge uptick in production would carry over to major conference competition. And I know several have done just fine. But he atrocious on defense even in the 7th worse conference in college basketball. His scoring also came against the same 7 worst conference in college basketball. We shall see. Between the two if I had a choice, Robinson would be the choice for me. He has done it against the same type competition he will face in the SEC. Robison will have to get tougher, his rebounding numbers are very poor for a player his size and ability. Same for assist. IF he can improve on those and use his talent to become a better defender, Robinson could be that go to guy and best all around player on the roster. Maybe the combine will light a fire under him.

I think Pope has done a great job coming in and getting fans excited about a new start. He has also done a great job at filling the coaching staff. The current roster is another story. It definitely still has a lot to be desired and the inability to reel in the top-end talent is concerning. Most knew coming in that this was going to be Pope's biggest hurdle, so hopefully he re-groups and adapts. NIL money should not be a problem, neither the big-name brand that is Kentucky. Therefore, Pope has all of the tools to recruit at a high level, he just desperately needs that first big one to get momentum.
Who were the big ones that he could have gotten, but failed?

A player I would love Pope to get involved with IF he returns to school is Hunter Salais. Kid can ball and will only be better. SOME thing he returns. Kid is 6-5 about the same as Robinson.
18 ppg, / 4 reb. / 2.5 assist, 1.1 steals. Shot 48% on 2FG's and 41% on 3 FG's. We already signed 1 player from Wake forest, maybe Carr could get in his ear. probably not a chance, but you never know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT