ADVERTISEMENT

Givony updated NBA mock draft (5/22)

Reed - #3 to Houston
Dilly - #4 to San Antonio
Edwards - #29 to Utah

Jaxson Robinson - not projected to be drafted
This could mean good things for a potential Jaxson return. Could be reading into things, but maybe this is why Chaz might be heading elsewhere.

Reactions: jrpross
I guess it's based off team needs but I would take Dilly over Reed 10/10 times.
Honestly, I'd consider Rob #1 if the team needed a scoring PG. I think he will be an all-star within 5 years, a cross between Iverson and Trae Young.

Reed I think will become good, but will need a bit more seasoning (mainly to get stronger). The reason Rob doesn't need that his quickness makes up for lack of strength. Worth a top 10 pick, but I don't know if would take him top 5.

As for Edwards, I'll say what I was saying last Nov, "what does he do well?". Quick or fast=no, Stong=no, tall for position=no, elite or even good jumper=no (actually is bad), good handles=no, good shot= it's "ok", good post game=no, good finisher=no (horrible), good defender=ehh. If anyone in my draft room brought up his name, I would fire him.

If you look up "bucket" in 2024 Webster's it has a picture of Reeves. From deep= good shot w/ quick release, mid-range= check, floaters/runners= one of the best I've ever seen. Will he be a star? No, probably not because his handle is below average, but he can be your 6th-8th guy come in and give you 10-14/night off the bench (much like Monk's career, minus the pot). I'd take him early 2nd round.

Honestly, I'd consider Rob #1 if the team needed a scoring PG. I think he will be an all-star within 5 years, a cross between Iverson and Trae Young.

Reed I think will become good, but will need a bit more seasoning (mainly to get stronger). The reason Rob doesn't need that his quickness makes up for lack of strength. Worth a top 10 pick, but I don't know if would take him top 5.

As for Edwards, I'll say what I was saying last Nov, "what does he do well?". Quick or fast=no, Stong=no, tall for position=no, elite or even good jumper=no (actually is bad), good handles=no, good shot= it's "ok", good post game=no, good finisher=no (horrible), good defender=ehh. If anyone in my draft room brought up his name, I would fire him.

If you look up "bucket" in 2024 Webster's it has a picture of Reeves. From deep= good shot w/ quick release, mid-range= check, floaters/runners= one of the best I've ever seen. Will he be a star? No, probably not because his handle is below average, but he can be your 6th-8th guy come in and give you 10-14/night off the bench (much like Monk's career, minus the pot). I'd take him early 2nd round.
That’s why the spurs pick is so interesting to me. You can make so many arguments for Reed there, and you can make so many arguments for dillingham there.

Reactions: TFCats11 and TM2013

Guys at 165 lbs Rob is going to have issues. That will be the hold up on him. He is quick/ fast and hard to keep in front of you but one thing for sure his body will not take the abuse of guards much bigger than him. He is no Allen Iverson (small but still heavier than Rob by 10lbs).

Edwards gets the benefit of his HS hype and excuses about how he was used at UK. Tape doesn’t lie and those missed dunks, layups, and inept defense are impossible to overlook. He won’t be an active NBA player in a few years. Career G-Leaguer.

Reactions: Eagle Fang
Guys at 165 lbs Rob is going to have issues. That will be the hold up on him. He is quick/ fast and hard to keep in front of you but one thing for sure his body will not take the abuse of guards much bigger than him. He is no Allen Iverson (small but still heavier than Rob by 10lbs).
Wrong on the Iverson size comparison claiming AI was 10 lbs heavier. Rob was 164 at combine, Iverson was 167 at his combine. That is 3 pounds. We're talking 3 pounds. Not even 3 kilos, but 3 pounds.

I guess it's based off team needs but I would take Dilly over Reed 10/10 times.
I like Dilly A LOT ... but the numbers are the numbers, in terms of the net +/- every time Reed was on the floor at UK. And if you told me, "You can't have Reed, but you can have Dilly" it wouldn't distress me a bit. Nevertheless ... I respectfully suggest that Reed will be a 6'2" version of Larry Bird. I see Dilly as a lot like Iverson - who, of course, was a muilti-year All-NBA and a scoring machine.
We were fortunate to have Reed and Dilly at U.K. We were just monumentally unfortunate that CCC was there at the same time !
Nevertheless ... Go 'Cats ! ! !

Just a play on words.
I couldn't care less which is which.

It isn't a play on words to say one is clearly better which is exactly the case. Usually you can justify it with freshmen but Edwards is mediocre athletically and already 20 (maybe 21 by season) so there isn't unrealized potential.

I guess it's his representation but it's still crazy

I'm sorry, but I don't live in a world where Reed is a #3 NBA draft pick. Not bashing. That's just a heck of a reach, IMO. I don't care what the experts say.

Feel bad for Reeves if that happens.This kind of shows the problem with the NBA at times . Drafting on potential(even disappointment) over someone proven and productive.
Shaudy ... don't you think Reeves will catch on with someone and have a productive NBA career ? As you know, lots of undrafted free agents become successful in the League. Your thoughts ?

Shaudy ... don't you think Reeves will catch on with someone and have a productive NBA career ? As you know, lots of undrafted free agents become successful in the League. Your thoughts ?
I think it’s possible he can have a solid career with someone . One good thing about going undrafted is you can look at what is the best situation for yourself and as you said sign with a team .

Even if his NBA pan career doesn’t pan out there is a lot of money to be made overseas too .

Drafting Kentucky guards historically has been a good bet. I think Dilly and Sheppard will translate to the league as solid picks. Depends on where they go.
Reeves is a value pick.

I respectfully suggest that Reed will be a 6'2" version of Larry Bird.
Magic Johnson No GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

M
It isn't a play on words to say one is clearly better which is exactly the case. Usually you can justify it with freshmen but Edwards is mediocre athletically and already 20 (maybe 21 by season) so there isn't unrealized potential.

I guess it's his representation but it's still crazy
My point was: Perception of anything determines ones opinion.
It just an opinion.
Financial advisors offer various and different opinions.
Stocks. bonds, annuities, etc.
It's all relative.

Where's he listed at 165lbs? I'm seeing 175lbs, and it seems when he was 160/165 it was back in highschool. I think the publications that have him at 165 haven't updated that metric in a while.

Im sure he will gain weight as he goes. Some centers and PF's who are over 6'9 have been less than 200lbs coming out of highschool.

Where's he listed at 165lbs? I'm seeing 175lbs, and it seems when he was 160/165 it was back in highschool. I think the publications that have him at 165 haven't updated that metric in a while.

Im sure he will gain weight as he goes. Some centers and PF's who are over 6'9 have been less than 200lbs coming out of highschool.
I was going by a couple of the vlogs on the draft. Both had the same weight. All info on line is correct, correct? I know that is funny. lol

I stand by he is on AI. I love Rob D, but that is too much to ask from him. He has some crazy moves, wants the ball in his hands at crunch time, and he is not afraid of anything. His smile is infectious and I believe he plays the game with his heart (all heart). I do not follow NBA like I did from the 70s through the early 90s. So what do i know. lol

Agreed. Any front office personnel who actually watch the game should be able to see that Reeves can provide immediate offensive production. His game is tailored for NBA style of play.
The problem with Reeves is his defense is awful. Awful awful. And yes, they do play defense in the NBA so that does matter.

Reeves was statistically one of the worst defenders in the SEC. His combined offensive and defensive efficiency was actually less than Edwards' because his defense was so bad.

Reed - #3 to Houston
Dilly - #4 to San Antonio
Edwards - #29 to Utah
Reeves - undrafted

Jaxson Robinson - not projected to be drafted
Any team that picks a 6'6" player that lacks great athleticism or skills anywhere in the 1st round of the NBA draft is incompetent at their job and likely won't hold it long.

Reactions: westerncat
I like Dilly A LOT ... but the numbers are the numbers, in terms of the net +/- every time Reed was on the floor at UK. And if you told me, "You can't have Reed, but you can have Dilly" it wouldn't distress me a bit. Nevertheless ... I respectfully suggest that Reed will be a 6'2" version of Larry Bird. I see Dilly as a lot like Iverson - who, of course, was a muilti-year All-NBA and a scoring machine.
We were fortunate to have Reed and Dilly at U.K. We were just monumentally unfortunate that CCC was there at the same time !
Nevertheless ... Go 'Cats ! ! !
College basketball and NBA are almost 2 different games. At the college level, I'd take Reed all-day-every-day. At the NBA level, I'd take Rob.

The problem with Reeves is his defense is awful. Awful awful. And yes, they do play defense in the NBA so that does matter.

Reeves was statistically one of the worst defenders in the SEC. His combined offensive and defensive efficiency was actually less than Edwards' because his defense was so bad.
Pretty much all of our perimeter players the past 10 years have looked bad defensively while at Kentucky. Even if they're quicker than the guy they're guarding(Fox and Dilly for example), at UK guys just blew past them. It might have more to do with defensive gameplanning and coaching than ability or desire. Reeves seems plenty quick and big enough to be a decent defensive player so I'll wait until he can't guard people under better coaching before I say he just can't do it.

I stand by he is on AI. I love Rob D, but that is too much to ask from him. He has some crazy moves, wants the ball in his hands at crunch time, and he is not afraid of anything. His smile is infectious and I believe he plays the game with his heart (all heart). I do not follow NBA like I did from the 70s through the early 90s. So what do i know. lol
no doubt he is not AI, but there has only been one AI
but to your other comment AI was not bigger on NBA draft combine measurements

no doubt he is not AI, but there has only been one AI
but to your other comment AI was not bigger on NBA draft combine measurements
shorter (meaning AI was shorter) but same weight. I just hope Rob's body can handle the NBA guys. He is one of my favorites, plays it like a video game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT