ADVERTISEMENT

UAB replacement in 2016...

Apr 6, 2015
Since the situation with UAB has left a hole in UK's schedule for the 2016 season, I was wondering just how many options the Cats had to avoid playing a second FCS school (which is something they need to avoid at all costs). So i know this may not be entirely up-to-date, but i used fbschedules.com to look at FBS teams that may have an open slot in their 2016 schedule….just food for thought if you will..

ACC
Boston College
Miami
North Carolina
Syracuse

AAC
UCONN

BIG12
Kansas State
Texas Tech

CUSA
Middle Tennessee State

IND.
BYU
Army

PAC12
Stanford

Sun Belt
Louisiana-Monroe

According to this website, the only non-conf. game UK has inked, is UL. Keeping in mind that they will pick up an FCS game, what two teams would you like to see them pick up out of this list…(keep in mind some of these teams would require a home/home deal).

Luckily UAB had rotated off our schedule so we aren't having to scramble looking for a game. I would think that most on that list would want a home and home with maybe the exception of MTSU and La-Monroe. But whoever you get it would be a good idea to stay away from Army. They are undersized and probably slower than everyone on the list, but a lot smarter than anyone else on it too. Add that to that dang triple option they run and only a week to prepare for it isn't good, plus they cut block like mad, rough on your DL knees.

http://www.fbschedules.com/2014/10/kentucky-uab-2016-football-schedule/

I was unaware that they had rotated off and we WERE scrambling to find a game…according to the article above we had had them slated in for 2016...

Originally posted by SoKyCats:
http://www.fbschedules.com/2014/10/kentucky-uab-2016-football-schedule/

I was unaware that they had rotated off and we WERE scrambling to find a game…according to the article above we had had them slated in for 2016...
Sorry man, my mistake for not being clear, I am a UGA fan. UGA didn't have then on UGA's schedule, we already played and they had rotated off. My bad, should have been more clear with my post. But playing Army will still be a pain., lol

Since the situation with UAB has left a hole in UK's schedule for the 2016 season, I was wondering just how many options the Cats had to avoid playing a second FCS school (which is something they need to avoid at all costs). So i know this may not be entirely up-to-date, but i used fbschedules.com to look at FBS teams that may have an open slot in their 2016 schedule….just food for thought if you will..

ACC
Boston College
Miami
North Carolina
Syracuse

AAC
UCONN

BIG12
Kansas State
Texas Tech

CUSA
Middle Tennessee State

IND.
BYU
Army

PAC12
Stanford

Sun Belt
Louisiana-Monroe

According to this website, the only non-conf. game UK has inked, is UL. Keeping in mind that they will pick up an FCS game, what two teams would you like to see them pick up out of this list…(keep in mind some of these teams would require a home/home deal).
There's not many on that list that wouldn't ask for a return game, so I don't think that would work.

Interesting thread. I will bet you good money we try to get both MTSU and ULM. Army would probably be our third choice.

Personally, I would be willing to bet there is already something in the works with ULM. As for the other game, from what I've heard there was a team "out west" that called as soon as UAB shutdown and is trying to fill that void (but is asking for A LOT of money to not get a return game). My guess is that BYU is that team and honestly, while I'm not crazy about us making our normal schedule any harder, that would be a neat game to go watch on an even numbered year where our home schedule is a little weaker...

With that being said, to land ULM and MTSU would be a home run and what our schedule typically looks like anyway so I agree with the consisus on this thread.

While Monroe and MTSU would more than likely be guaranteed home wins with not requiring a return game, I would like to try to make a step up in competition. A home and home with North Carolina would be couple of good games. I also like the idea of a home and home out west. Stanford or BYU would be a good test. Or maybe if we could work something with a Cal or Arizona St. I would not be opposed to visiting Vegas too. No clue if any of these are possible outside of the ones listed by the OP. But just an ide to continue the conversation.
This post was edited on 4/17 9:09 AM by wildcatbd21

Not to make everyone depressed on this topic, but here is an article on the subject....long story short, UK has someone completely unqualified trying to do our scheduling, and surprise surprise it looks to be a train wreck.

Marc Hill is a liar

Scheduling for UK in advance is bitterly disappointing. We all know our setup, 4 SEC homegames, 4 SEC roadgames, 4 out of conferences. One of those 4 is locked up with UL in home & home. On even number years we play at UL, odd numbers they play here. This year we are playing the other 3 OOC games at home, for a total of 8 homegames. IMO this is not sustainable. UK needs to be aggressive and schedule another comparable Big 5 conference school on the opposite rotation of UL. So in 2016 we play at UL, but then host a Big 5 OOC opponent in C'Weath. Then in 2017 flip it, UL at home, Big 5 OOC on the road.

Sadly I don't think UK is competent enough or have the courage to schedule like this. Actually I fully expect in the near future for UK to play TWO 1-AA opponents on the schedule, as it is damned expensive to pay a CUSA/Sun Belt/MAC team to show up for 1 game. Really gonna give the fans in the new expensive club seatings their money's worth, eh?

Just earlier this week Indiana & Virginia signed a home & home with one another. No reason at all that isnt the kind of OOC series UK couldn't agree too. Or other similar level teams to us, Purdue, Illinois, NC State, Pittsburgh. Or agreeing to a neutral site game in Cincy, since Ohio is so important to our recruiting. I'd bet plenty of teams would love to play a 50/50 opening weekend game in Paul Brown Stadium, helluvalot better than friggin Miami OH as we did a few years back.

Originally posted by JHB4UK:
Not to make everyone depressed on this topic, but here is an article on the subject....long story short, UK has someone completely unqualified trying to do our scheduling, and surprise surprise it looks to be a train wreck.

Marc Hill is a liar

Scheduling for UK in advance is bitterly disappointing. We all know our setup, 4 SEC homegames, 4 SEC roadgames, 4 out of conferences. One of those 4 is locked up with UL in home & home. On even number years we play at UL, odd numbers they play here. This year we are playing the other 3 OOC games at home, for a total of 8 homegames. IMO this is not sustainable. UK needs to be aggressive and schedule another comparable Big 5 conference school on the opposite rotation of UL. So in 2016 we play at UL, but then host a Big 5 OOC opponent in C'Weath. Then in 2017 flip it, UL at home, Big 5 OOC on the road.

Sadly I don't think UK is competent enough or have the courage to schedule like this. Actually I fully expect in the near future for UK to play TWO 1-AA opponents on the schedule, as it is damned expensive to pay a CUSA/Sun Belt/MAC team to show up for 1 game. Really gonna give the fans in the new expensive club seatings their money's worth, eh?

Just earlier this week Indiana & Virginia signed a home & home with one another. No reason at all that isnt the kind of OOC series UK couldn't agree too. Or other similar level teams to us, Purdue, Illinois, NC State, Pittsburgh. Or agreeing to a neutral site game in Cincy, since Ohio is so important to our recruiting. I'd bet plenty of teams would love to play a 50/50 opening weekend game in Paul Brown Stadium, helluvalot better than friggin Miami OH as we did a few years back.
Where would UK benefit from playing another comparable Power 5 team when they already play in the SEC and Louisville outside of just money? On a consistent basis UK has to roll through the top 10 sometimes multiple weeks in a row. Name me another school (esp in the SEC) that plays anybody but maybe one large game outside of their conference. UK is going to battle to win 7 games the next few years no matter how much talent is brought in the next couple of years. Bitterly disappointing? What the heck would you call Alabama's schedule? Florida? Tennessee? You want your non conference to be less than desirable when you play in a conference like UK. I just can't agree with this right now.

Originally posted by kats23:

Where would UK benefit from playing another comparable Power 5 team when they already play in the SEC and Louisville outside of just money?
Excitement and interest for the fanbase instead of 15,000 empty seats for a 1-AA or horrible MAC team. Excitement and enthusiams for the team rather than sleepwalking as they do through the 1st quarters of 1-AA opponets or terrible Sun Belt teams. Better TV slots rather than the 12 noon SEC TV selection a 1-AA or awful CUSA team would get.

On a consistent basis UK has to roll through the top 10 sometimes multiple weeks in a row. Name me another school (esp in the SEC) that plays anybody but maybe one large game outside of their conference.
OK
South Carolina is playing North Carolina & Clemson this year. Last year east Carolina & Clemson. Miss St & Vandy play OOC road games regularly. Again, I'm not asking us to load up on Ohio State or Oklahoma or Florida State. Comparable competition, bottom half Big 5 conference schools.

Wasn't that long ago in UK's history when we played UL & IU out of conference.

UK is going to battle to win 7 games the next few years no matter how much talent is brought in the next couple of years.
I disagree. Set your expectations higher, everyone involved with the program should do the same, don't settle for mediocrity. Want to know what you get if you are only striving for 7 wins?

5 losses.

What the heck would you call Alabama's schedule? Florida? Tennessee?
Oh they are cowards, all of them. Superpowers like Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia should do the exact same thing I'm saying UK should - play two OOC series a year, one game at home, one on the road. Instead the best Saban's ball-less scheduling can do is 1 game on a neutral site + 3 easy tomato cans at home. Embarrassing. And the conference commissioner knows it is embarrassing, that is why they are mandating EVERYONE in the conference have at least ONE OOC game with a Big 5 opponent (or Notre Dame, or BYU).

Given how much money this conference is getting from ESPN/SEC Network I hope in the near future those TV executives and more importantly their advertisers DEMAND the SEC schools provide them with more quality TV options, and make all 14 SEC schools get 2 OOC games a year from Big 5 + big indys. OR go to 9 conference games a year.

This post was edited on 4/17 10:34 AM by JHB4UK

Reactions: Housecat5
You realize that the second FCS game would not count towards bowl eligibility right? That would mean we would need to win 7 games to get to a bowl game which is why you pay more to a MAC/CUSA/Sun Belt more to play that game

You realize that the second FCS game would not count towards bowl eligibility right? That would mean we would need to win 7 games to get to a bowl game which is why you pay more to a MAC/CUSA/Sun Belt more to play that game
oh I realize that completely

and I still expect UK in the next few years to play 2 1-AA/FCS teams in 1 year, given the lack of urgency or aggressiveness or creativity in scheduling

We don't need to go out and play a top tier team from another Power 5 conference like FSU or Ohio St. I would like us to start at the bottom and work up. Maybe an Illinois, Wake Forrest, or Boston College.

Or throw in some teams from AAC or C-USA that are better than MAC teams. Like UConn, Temple, Rice. A home and home with USF would be a good one. Especially if the return game is played later in the season. I be a lot of fans would go to Tampa for a long weekend when it is cold here. They struggle to fill their stadium. So if we are having a strong season, we could go down and turn it into a home game.

Where would UK benefit from playing another comparable Power 5 team when they already play in the SEC and Louisville outside of just money?
Excitement and interest for the fanbase instead of 15,000 empty seats for a 1-AA or horrible MAC team. Excitement and enthusiams for the team rather than sleepwalking as they do through the 1st quarters of 1-AA opponets or terrible Sun Belt teams. Better TV slots rather than the 12 noon SEC TV selection a 1-AA or awful CUSA team would get.

On a consistent basis UK has to roll through the top 10 sometimes multiple weeks in a row. Name me another school (esp in the SEC) that plays anybody but maybe one large game outside of their conference.
OK
South Carolina is playing North Carolina & Clemson this year. Last year east Carolina & Clemson. Miss St & Vandy play OOC road games regularly. Again, I'm not asking us to load up on Ohio State or Oklahoma or Florida State. Comparable competition, bottom half Big 5 conference schools.

UK is going to battle to win 7 games the next few years no matter how much talent is brought in the next couple of years.
I disagree. Set your expectations higher, everyone involved with the program should do the same, don't settle for mediocrity. Want to know what you get if you are only striving for 7 wins?

5 losses.

Oh they are cowards, all of them. Superpowers like Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia should do the exact same thing I'm saying UK should - play two OOC series a year, one game at home, one on the road. Instead the best Saban's ball-less scheduling can do is 1 game on a neutral site + 3 easy tomato cans at home. Embarrassing. And the conference commissioner knows it is embarrassing, that is why they are mandating EVERYONE in the conference have at least ONE OOC game with a Big 5 opponent (or Notre Dame, or BYU).

Given how much money this conference is getting from ESPN/SEC Network I hope in the near future those TV executives and more importantly their advertisers DEMAND the SEC schools provide them with more quality TV options, and make all 14 SEC schools get 2 OOC games a year from Big 5 + big indys. OR go to 9 conference games a year.

UGA plays Georgia Tech every year, we just completed a home and home with Clemson in 13 and 14, prior to that we did a home and home with Arizona and before that we had Oklahoma St. for a home and home. We have ND scheduled for a home and home that starts in either 16 or 17. Add that to us playing UF every year in Jacksonville there are years we only have 6 home games because of the UF game. This year we have Georgia Southern, not a P5 team, but not one I am not looking forward to playing, they beat UF in 13 without attempting a single pass. We lost games last year to 2 of the weaker teams on our schedule, but drill Auburn, Missouri and Arky who was playing really well at the end of the year. That's why Richt catches most of the heat he does, we are pretty much a solid bet to play 1 or 2 games per year that look like we have been practicing tidley winks the proceding week, sometimes 2 weeks if we have a bye week.

But with the playoff system set up like it is, there is no reason to risk an out of conference game you could lose. Just look at last year, SEC west was anointed the greatest division in college football for beating each other, and then the Bowl season rolls around the top 5 teams lose, some getting blown out. They were hugely overrated, but everyone thought they were all great, when in fact they were all decent teams but not a one of them was real good. But because of their weak OOC schedules 2 of them almost made it in the playoffs, if State had beaten OM they could very well have been in the playoffs. SEC would have gone 0-2. Not sure how that will affect future teams, but I don't think playing your conference games and 4 non P5 teams will get you in the playoffs from this point on.

OK

5 losses.

I wouldn't put E Carolina or North Carolina as good power 5 conference games. You mention IU. That would be fine but that wouldn't put anymore butts in the seat than an EKU or La Lafyette. Or get us better kickoff times. I would argue that E Carolina wouldn't bring in bigger numbers. I'm all for UK having higher standards but at this point in time putting risk games on the schedule when realistically, you aren't ready to compete in the East is silly. Have this conversation in a few years if UK has established themselves as a better program. You mention Miss St, who is a team that is much better established playing good OOC teams. What did that get them for their last coach. It helped him get fired. UK is building and if you look back at Brook's days, UK helped themselves to bowls thanks to bad OOC competition and pulling an upset or two in the SEC. UK isn't even to that point yet right now. You have to crawl before you walk. You have to have, what's the return investment to risk. For UK right now, the risk outweighs the return investment for a better OOC.

Originally posted by Grumpyolddawg:

UGA plays Georgia Tech every year, we just completed a home and home with Clemson in 13 and 14, prior to that we did a home and home with Arizona and before that we had Oklahoma St. for a home and home. We have ND scheduled for a home and home that starts in either 16 or 17. Add that to us playing UF every year in Jacksonville there are years we only have 6 home games because of the UF game. This year we have Georgia Southern, not a P5 team, but not one I am not looking forward to playing, they beat UF in 13 without attempting a single pass. We lost games last year to 2 of the weaker teams on our schedule, but drill Auburn, Missouri and Arky who was playing really well at the end of the year. That's why Richt catches most of the heat he does, we are pretty much a solid bet to play 1 or 2 games per year that look like we have been practicing tidley winks the proceding week, sometimes 2 weeks if we have a bye week.
You are right Grumpy, Georgia should be left out of the accusations as their scheduling has been far better OOC than the other upper tier schools in the conference, and cudos for y'all doing it.

But Bama? coward
LSU? cowards
Florida? cowards
T A&M? cowards
Arkansas? cowards

But with the playoff system set up like it is, there is no reason to risk an out of conference game you could lose.
except Ohio State got a big reward for playing a seemingly tougher schedule as compared to Baylor & TCU. Hopefully that would be a big lesson that the rest of the powers in college football would have noticed and been worried about fixing in the future.

Don't see anything wrong with a home and home with most of those programs...

playing some competition in other regions of the country is part of growing a program...it's good for exposure and expanding the brand in different markets...could tap into some other recruiting pipelines by playing a lot of those schools at their place...

would love to see a Big 12 and Pac 12 opponent some day...tap into the west coast and texas pipelines...

Any acc opponent would make sense, relatively close geographically...

bottom line...Pooper U and Charleston aren't going to cut the mustard anymore if this administration and staff are serious about taking UK football to new heights...

no body is interested in those games...and the level of competition does nothing to help prepare the team and make them better...might as well have a blue and white scrimmage...

Athletic department could make some money by kicking off the season with a competitive power 5 conference opponent...

You are right Grumpy, Georgia should be left out of the accusations as their scheduling has been far better OOC than the other upper tier schools in the conference, and cudos for y'all doing it.

But Bama? coward
LSU? cowards
Florida? cowards
T A&M? cowards
Arkansas? cowards

But with the playoff system set up like it is, there is no reason to risk an out of conference game you could lose.
except Ohio State got a big reward for playing a seemingly tougher schedule as compared to Baylor & TCU. Hopefully that would be a big lesson that the rest of the powers in college football would have noticed and been worried about fixing in the future.
Bama has played a decent opponent in a kick off classic, but that is to play in the Georgia Dome and be seen by Atlanta kids. I haven't really kept up with who LSU plays OOC, but I know they played Wisconsin last year and came from way back to beat Wisconsin, haven't been keeping up with A&M to have a clue but they didn't hurt themselves last year with their OOC schedule. Arky is much like UK in that they are trying to get their program up and going, Bobby left them pretty low on talent and Smith killed what was left. State played 4 OOC cupcakes, OM did play Boise St and they were decent, not near as good as in the past but decent.

Now I dislike UF as much as anyone does, but like us, they have a huge game every year against an OOC rival, plus they play 1 game a year in Jacksonville too. UK, UGA, USC and UF are in the same boat with this, our biggest rival is an OOC game, Louisville, GT, Clemson and FSU aren't easy guaranteed wins. But the other huge rival games in conference, Bama/AU, Bama/UT, MSST/OM, are all conference games. So those schools have a little advantage if they want a cream puff OOC schedule.

In my opinion, those schools who have that big rival game every year with an in conference team has an edge over those of us who have an OOC rival we play every year because they can schedule 4 cupcakes a year. But Tech will never be back in the SEC so our big rivalry game will always be an OOC game.

But the thing about scheduling OOC games, they are usually done 3-7 years in advance, you might be scheduling someone who you think is going to be pretty good and probation and bowl ban hits, there you are with a P5 cupcake and people are talking about your weak schedule. Of course it could also happen in reverse, a game you expected to win at time of scheduling and a recruiting fool comes in and turns the program into a power by the time you play. I guess you could do like UT did and say "we won't play" and buy their way out of it, I think it was UT could have been another team I don't care for but I thought that was pretty funny.

I wouldn't think UK would want to pull and OU or a UCLA as a P5 OOC team at least not now, but some of the mid level ACC, Big12 or Big10 teams could be attractive. Not sure wins or losses and honestly no one enjoys watching those games much we just like putting one in the W column.

IMO...The next couple of years are critical for UK. They need to get to bowl games. I think they almost have to schedule games that they can chalk up in the win column. I think they will find a way to get a lower tier D1s to play. Even if they have to pay.

Marc Hill is a liar

Scheduling for UK in advance is bitterly disappointing. We all know our setup, 4 SEC homegames, 4 SEC roadgames, 4 out of conferences. One of those 4 is locked up with UL in home & home. On even number years we play at UL, odd numbers they play here. This year we are playing the other 3 OOC games at home, for a total of 8 homegames. IMO this is not sustainable. (1) UK needs to be aggressive and schedule another comparable Big 5 conference school on the opposite rotation of UL. So in 2016 we play at UL, but then host a Big 5 OOC opponent in C'Weath. Then in 2017 flip it, UL at home, Big 5 OOC on the road.

Very unflattering article. However, to be fair, Hill's UK bio does not list football scheduling as one of his duties. So go figure.

I know the UAB thing was kinda sudden but you just have to do the best you can when things like that happen. At this point best to pay whatever anyone wants for a 1 off seal. After all, UK is rolling in dough.

I don't think you will ever see two 1-AA teams unless the rules change. I'm pretty sure that only one I-AA win can be counted toward the 6 necessary for bowl eligibility.

Peace

Boston College might be a good home & home game. Might help in Washington & DC area for recruiting.

I understand fans wanting more variety in our schedule. Blame it on the SEC and it's 8th conference game. Back when we played fewer conference games, we did have teams like penn state, unc, wvu, etc... The name of the game for UK is to schedule in a manner that insures bowl eligibility. Thus it would be counterproductive to schedule another big 5 conference game. Besides, as a season ticket holder, I want 8 home games as often as possible.

UL is the perfect example of how to build a competitive team. They played nobodies in weak conferences for years. They racked up wins and started making a name for themselves. Playing 8 games vs SEC opponents would be seen by ANYBODY as going above and beyond relative to strength of schedule. Let's get our 6 or 7 wins and enjoy playing another big 5 conference team in a bowl game.

Last year there were 22 Big 5 teams that finished in the top 25 final AP Poll. Of those 22: FSU, Ga Tech, UGA, UCLA, Clemson, and USC played more than one OOC game against other Big 5 schools. Kentucky does not need a tougher schedule. And it is certainly not a requirement for improving the program. Somehow this comes up every season, and it remains a ridiculous argument with no validity. The only way Kentucky deviates from what they are doing right now is some new mandate limiting the number of OOC games against non-big 5 schools. If Ohio State, Alabama and Oregon can get to the playoff without two big OOC games on their schedule, then why would Kentucky need to improve their schedule?

Reactions: RV2
Originally posted by Perrin75:
Last year there were 22 Big 5 teams that finished in the top 25 final AP Poll. Of those 22: FSU, Ga Tech, UGA, UCLA, Clemson, and USC played more than one OOC game against other Big 5 schools. Kentucky does not need a tougher schedule. And it is certainly not a requirement for improving the program. Somehow this comes up every season, and it remains a ridiculous argument with no validity. The only way Kentucky deviates from what they are doing right now is some new mandate limiting the number of OOC games against non-big 5 schools. If Ohio State, Alabama and Oregon can get to the playoff without two big OOC games on their schedule, then why would Kentucky need to improve their schedule?
Thats what I was trying to say but you said it much better. MSST played Southern Miss, Troy, UAB and a direction Louisanna school I can't remember which and very likely been in the playoffs if they had beaten OM. A P5 team with high hopes of making that 4 team playoff is hurting their chances by playing a tough OOC game, same for UK trying to build a program to the point of making that 4 team playoff. I don't know how UK fans feel about the rival game with Louisville, but if you had been able to play a con USA team there is a very good chance UK would have went Bowling after the 14 season. But I would hate to drop Tech from our schedule so I assume the feeling is the same for UK fans about Louisville. But playing that game puts UK at a disadvantage over the likes of Vandy, MSST and others who never play a P5 team for OOC games or seldom play one.

The spot will be filled with a MAC team, and it's always good for us to get some exposure from Ohio.

I took a second look on fbschedules.com and it looks like Buffalo would be the only MAC team with an open slot...

I still maintain putting IU back on there with the home and home dates falling opposite the Louisville home and home dates each year is the way to go. Open the season with the Hoosiers, close with Louisville. I completely agree we don't need to be scheduling UNC, WVU, VT, etc right now...but IU is a winnable game that adds excitement and Power 5 credibility to our schedule. Also makes offseason better as its an opener worth looking forward to. Right now, we have to wait until Carolina this season to get truly excited.

Maybe not IU every year, but given how important Ohio recruiting is I think playing a B1G team OOC every year would be of enormous benefit for UK's program. IU, Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern, the lower tiered ones of course.

Frankly, I'm sick of the weak-ass out of conference schedules of most teams in college football--one of several reasons I dropped my season tickets a few years back. I know "everyone is doing it" and I can appreciate the need to maximize revenues, BUT it's a complete ripoff to the fans who, for the most part, pay hard-earned money for their tickets. Same is true, and to an even greater degree, for college basketball.

I date back to the era when we played one tune-up game in football and maybe a couple for basketball. Now, when I have to Google an opponent to figure out who they are, where they're located, etc., which is what one has to do for well over half of our OOC basketball games,then the game is usually not worth tuning in! In football it isn't much better.

We need to look at playing OOC games at neutral sites, ie. Paul Brown Stadium, Lucas Oil Stadium, and Nasville. Play teams like Purdue in Indy, Marshall in Cincy, and Memphis in Music City.
This would not require the return visit, and would be venues where UK fans would show up in big numbers.

Maybe not IU every year, but given how important Ohio recruiting is I think playing a B1G team OOC every year would be of enormous benefit for UK's program. IU, Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern, the lower tiered ones of course.
I've been wanting to play Northwestern for decades now home and home. I would love to take a September weekend and go to Chicago to watch them play. Seriously.

oh I realize that completely

and I still expect UK in the next few years to play 2 1-AA/FCS teams in 1 year, given the lack of urgency or aggressiveness or creativity in scheduling
It is not lack of urgency, or lack of aggressiveness, or lack of creativity. None of these descriptions can be fairly or accurately applied to the folks managing our football program. Kentucky already plays 1 of the most difficult football schedules in the country every year. In case you haven't noticed. Scheduling is not like shopping for apples at the grocery store. You can't schedule another school unless they agree to dates and terms. You are competing with other schools in the market, and you have to end up with a realistic schedule. If the main goal was to put together a difficult schedule, Kentucky is already ranked in that poll.

Being married to an MSU alum I can tell you since Mullen arrived and took over the schedule, while they have played home and home---it's been teams like South Alabama, Lafayette and CUSA team sprinkled in. More times than not the past 5 years have not included a P5 OOC game, save Oklahoma State. They will begin to play NC State as an answer to the conference required P5 opponent. Under Sly and AD prior to Stricklin they scheduled more aggressively than 4 OOC wins. I do agree, however teams like Memphis, Houston, Wake Forest,Duke, Kansas, etc would be reasonable replacements for a Miami OH. I think before we begin beefing up our schedule though, we need to make a few bowl appearances and sustain some success. As the saying goes, have to crawl before you can walk.

Reactions: CatsNotCards
I've had season tickets for 25 years and don't mind at all having some easy home games. You can relax and not worry about losing. Do those calling for better opponents realize that we would lose a lot of those games? I've never enjoyed a loss.

Reactions: RV2
would love to see us add someone with a name that isn't top 40. conn, rutgers, south florida, oregon state, something like that. either a good non power 5 school or a lower half of their conference power 5 school. if we want to get to atlanta some day or atleast win more than a couple sec games then we are gonna have to be good enough to beat lower tier pac, big 10, or acc schools.

would love to see us add someone with a name that isn't top 40. conn, rutgers, south florida, oregon state, something like that. either a good non power 5 school or a lower half of their conference power 5 school. if we want to get to atlanta some day or atleast win more than a couple sec games then we are gonna have to be good enough to beat lower tier pac, big 10, or acc schools.

On the other hand,if we want to go to Atlanta, we have to first get to the point of being able to beat ul and 3ooc cupcakes before we can hope to beat another power 5 school. Our team has improved but they are not at that point yet.

We tried to get Army, but they signed instead to play Ohio State. The big challenge for Kentucky was that they still wanted to play whoever they played in that same opening date. The choices for that date have diminished to almost no division I possibilities. The latest I heard was that maybe Kentucky was trying to get out of their other Division 1AA (sorry, I still call it that) and get a division I replacement for that game and date and then schedule a I-AA for the home opener. UAB had four non-conference teams on their schedule for next year and one of those teams was Troy. I look for us to add Troy as the replacement to UAB on the schedule. Just a hunch.

ADVERTISEMENT