ADVERTISEMENT

FCS (D-1AA) Scheduling (Ex: EKU)...and P5/G5 too

NavyCat88

Junior
Nov 22, 2011
I once heard a story that Kirby Smart had been mentored not to schedule FCS (1-aa) teams with winning traditions--present day teams like EKU, Furman, NDSU, W&M, Richmond, etc.

Reason: They will not be cowered by the big name or stadium and play you closer than CW thinks they should....maybe even score a humiliating victory. Shoot, some of our best jokes at the expense of rivals come by way of FCS missteps (former SOCON members App St over Michigan, Ga Southern over Florida, former CAA hotshot JMU over Va Tech, and triple option trap The Citadel over USCe (twice), Arkansas, and Ga Tech).

The Smart mentoring advice held that the preferred opponents were mid-to-lower level P5/G5 (because your big-time FBS team will take them more seriously) OR bad FCS teams.

FCS has a scholarship disadvantage to be sure (85-to-63), but their starters are often FBS quality...especially with the transfer portal influx for playing time.

Fortunately for UK, the Cats have never lost to a 1-AA team since the split back in the 1978. Yesterday was a close call.

I'm not saying "Don't schedule EKU" (or Youngstown St, or Furman, or NDSU, etc). Big Time P5 FBS teams need extra home games and small-time FCS programs need their annual big-school paycheck games for survival.

What I AM saying is we better prepare for every team like they are a team that can beat us.....because they can.

Saturday was the classic "overlook the little guy/FCS trap" situation.

It is on the coaching staff to dial in the team to prepare for EVERY team. Let's put EKU behind us, prepare to put take on Akron, put them down quickly and convincingly, and send the message to the CFB world that we're a team to be taken seriously...that takes all of our opponents seriously.

GBB!

Reactions: K86 and Girthang
I really don't think it helps that there are several coaches on EKU who were very recent members of our football team. It reminded me of losing to Southern Miss who had our OC from the previous season.

I think there are several reasons for yesterday's game, because we beat a better Ball State more convincingly:
- Stoops treats cupcake games like practices and tries not to embarrass them
- Sixth year senior QB on EKU
- practically a home game for EKU
- lack of motivation on our part and extra motivation for EKU
- a lot of new faces trying to build chemistry at UK

The game might be some kind of indicator of what pain there is to come but it had a lot of weird circumstances that most games we play shouldn't.

I once heard a story that Kirby Smart had been mentored not to schedule FCS (1-aa) teams with winning traditions--present day teams like EKU, Furman, NDSU, W&M, Richmond, etc.

Reason: They will not be cowered by the big name or stadium and play you closer than CW thinks they should....maybe even score a humiliating victory. Shoot, some of our best jokes at the expense of rivals come by way of FCS missteps (former SOCON members App St over Michigan, Ga Southern over Florida, former CAA hotshot JMU over Va Tech, and triple option trap The Citadel over USCe (twice), Arkansas, and Ga Tech).

The Smart mentoring advice held that the preferred opponents were mid-to-lower level P5/G5 (because your big-time FBS team will take them more seriously) OR bad FCS teams.

FCS has a scholarship disadvantage to be sure (85-to-63), but their starters are often FBS quality...especially with the transfer portal influx for playing time.

Fortunately for UK, the Cats have never lost to a 1-AA team since the split back in the 1978. Yesterday was a close call.

I'm not saying "Don't schedule EKU" (or Youngstown St, or Furman, or NDSU, etc). Big Time P5 FBS teams need extra home games and small-time FCS programs need their annual big-school paycheck games for survival.

What I AM saying is we better prepare for every team like they are a team that can beat us.....because they can.

It is on the coaching staff to dial in the team to prepare for EVERY team. Let's put EKU behind us, prepare to put take on Akron, put them down quickly and convincingly, and send the message to the CFB world that we're a team to be taken seriously...that takes all of our opponents seriously.

GBB!

Does CW stand for conventional wisdom in this post, or something else?

Eku is well coached. Wells will continue to be successful and McKinney is very talented and dominates FCS level teams. They came in and wanted to punch Kentucky in the mouth and did just that every time Kentucky shot themselves in the foot.

Reactions: Girthang

GBB!

I didn't like the way we played this one, but if there's any way you might get an advantage on other teams in the SEC, it would be them thinking we suck. We made it look like we can't be taken seriously this week. So that may be one good thing to come out of it.

I'm hoping BBrown and Ray Davis aren't going to lose time due to the injuries they got in this one. Davis looked like he may have a hairline fracture or ligament issue in his left wrist. Not what we wanted from this game, and I wish they had brought Ramon in sooner.

I didn't like the way we played this one, but if there's any way you might get an advantage on other teams in the SEC, it would be them thinking we suck. We made it look like we can't be taken seriously this week. So that may be one good thing to come out of it.

I'm hoping BBrown and Ray Davis aren't going to lose time due to the injuries they got in this one. Davis looked like he may have a hairline fracture or ligament issue in his left wrist. Not what we wanted from this game, and I wish they had brought Ramon in sooner.

Who in the SEC even looks good though? They all suck so far other than Georgia. I doubt anyone can afford to overlook UK.

Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
So Cincy beats them 66-13 in opener and we have to debate EKU is better than imagined?....That is Scott Saterfield bunch....not Luke Fickell.

COme on people, UK laid a turd Saturday.

Yeah, the one poster with his 10 excuses post was a bit much. He put more effort into that excuse post than UK put into the game yesterday though.

Eku is well coached. Wells will continue to be successful and McKinney is very talented and dominates FCS level teams. They came in and wanted to punch Kentucky in the mouth and did just that every time Kentucky shot themselves in the foot.
I wonder what happened with this well coached team with its talented QB against UC??

Tired of the excuses. And that's all they are. Excuses for poor play, lack of preparation, and poor coaching against a lesser opponent.

For all the good stoops has done at UK, this has been a staple of his every damn season where we come out and play like crap against a weak opponent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT