ADVERTISEMENT

Toppin

When you see what's happening with UNC and IU, about to lose like a collective 6 or 7 to the transfer protocol.. reminds me that things could be worse.

I'm sure we're not done losing guys, but that's mainly because there's a serious log jam for minutes right now. Seems to me that everyone who hasn't transfer/decalred would ideally, like to stay.

The only guy who transfered (or just left) was Fletcher, and that was pretty much a given since December.

Last edited:
I understand but shouldn’t cal and staff be able to provide that to most players?
think of it this way
if it were your kid would you rather have his college coach tell him or the people that are actually going to hire him

not to mention i am sure the NBA people would rather watch a player in person as opposed to just going on what a college coach tells them and a very limited amount of film

I am sure his parents are advising him to wait and see
That.....and one thing I haven't seen anybody mention is his brother. Would Obi advise him to stay in school and get better...or would he tell him that his game is good enough as it stands? Obi knows now what it's like to go from college to the pro game. An insight that Jacob has that most don't.

The transfer portal and the opportunity to transfer without sitting out a year has pretty much eliminated a coach being able to screw over a kid and the player not being able to do anything about it without losing a year of eligibility.

No player in his right mind would stay in a program knowing the coach is going to continually sit you on the bench and play newcomers until they can " figure things out".

Now, the coaches are left trying to " figure things out" as far as their roster is concerned for the upcoming year.

The transfer portal actually transferred power from coaches to the players.

He was asked and answered the question. He didn’t make some massive announcement.

I don’t think anybody uses or thinks it will/should be a “massive” announcement lol. Massive??

anyways, the point is... why on earth would he even have to be asked? Is it because Kentucky players often times either quit, transfer or declare for the draft after 1 year no matter what?

he absolutely did enough and showed enough to go through the process
i also believe 100% that the NBA guys will tell him to return to UK

any player that shows promise should go through the process and get a better understanding of where they stand and what they need to work on
What exactly did he do "enough" at to even consider leaving for the NBA Draft?

If I were Toppin, I would leave my options open until I see who and how many new players Cal is going to bring in. If Cal recruits over him and he gets buried on the bench, he will be much better off going to the transfer portal while there is no penalty for transferring.

Any reasonable player would do the same thing. I am sure his parents are advising him to wait and see. And then let Cal know what you are doing.
Kid can jump like a pogo stick, has a nice mid-range, and plays hard. I think he needs to expand his range on his shot and his ball handling.
I don't see anyone currently coming that should make Toppin worry, and frankly, I think this mentality of running from competition is not the answer for these players.
However, Cal has shown a propensity to play his 5 stars over others, so I understand why Toppin might be waiting.

I don’t think anybody uses or thinks it will/should be a “massive” announcement lol. Massive??

anyways, the point is... why on earth would he even have to be asked? Is it because Kentucky players often times either quit, transfer or declare for the draft after 1 year no matter what?

Because there's nearly 800 players in the transfer protocol, and it will likely be 1,000 before it's all said and done. I would bet most D1 coaches,writers are asking a lot of their team the same questions.

We also have a lot of players at the 4 and 5 (and some middling at the 3). I'm not sure how the ranking goes, but Ware is certainly close to the bottom for playing time. The log jam we have at these positions isn't lost on anyone, and the underlying thought is that someone of the 6 or so players is going to transfer.

However, the fact that Ware said he was coming back early, tells me he wants to be here. Though he may be forced out if we happen to return Brooks and Toppin. But that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, at all.

Reactions: cdbearde
Because there's nearly 800 players in the transfer protocol, and it will likely be 1,000 before it's all said and done. I would bet most D1 coaches,writers are asking a lot of their team the same questions.

We also have a lot of players at the 4 and 5 (and some middling at the 3). I'm not sure how the ranking goes, but Ware is certainly close to the bottom for playing time. The log jam we have at these positions isn't lost on anyone, and the underlying thought is that someone of the 6 or so players is going to transfer.

However, the fact that Ware said he was coming back early, tells me he wants to be here. Though he may be forced out if we happen to return Brooks and Toppin. But that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, at all.
if anybody needs proof this new rule is bad for the game look at UC. They have 4 scholarship players left after 6 entered the portal.

Same reason there are like 3 different threads about Ware returning or asking if he is returning.

What exactly did he do "enough" at to even consider leaving for the NBA Draft?
he showed enough promise to go through the process
he is athletic, he has a nice looking shot
as i stated i think the NBA people will tell him to return
he should absolutely go through the process

information is knowledge
knowledge is power
gather as much as you can

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
if anybody needs proof this new rule is bad for the game look at UC. They have 4 scholarship players left after 6 entered the portal.

Oh I hate it. Thankfully, a school like Kentucky shouldn't get his as bad as sooo many other schools. And it seems we're already in strong contacts with a few of the bigger transfers.

But no, this is just not good for college ball. So many smaller teams are gonna be decimated. HS players also, who thought they had a clear cut starting spot, now just got bumped cause of a transfer.

I imagine this is just a one-time rule with COVID, and I bet it proves to be such a mess that they switch this back.

He showed as much and probably more potential than Boston did. Based on each players years they just had if I were a GM I’d take toppin over Boston and not think twice about it.
Know what's kind of odd? So many kids seem to explode after they leave UK. Matthews, Baker, Juzang (transfers) and a good number that went to the NBA, like Booker, Herro, Bam, Mulder, Quickly, Murray, Fox. I mean, Quickley was damn good here last year, but not anywhere near as good as he is for the Knicks.
I would not be surprised if Clarke and Boston do the same thing. something is broken in Cal's offense, but it was REALLY broken this year.

Reactions: Chuckinden

information is knowledge
knowledge is power
So what is the point of the Pro Day UK has then? Oh wait, I know. It's because the NBA is what Cal bases everything on.
Toppin has some game, but he ain't NBA ready yet.

Reactions: KFuqua
Kid can jump like a pogo stick, has a nice mid-range, and plays hard. I think he needs to expand his range on his shot and his ball handling.
I don't see anyone currently coming that should make Toppin worry, and frankly, I think this mentality of running from competition is not the answer for these players.
However, Cal has shown a propensity to play his 5 stars over others, so I understand why Toppin might be waiting.
It is not running from competition. It is getting away from a system of awarding the most minutes to certain players without there actually being a competition for that playing time.

Cal did this year what he swears he would never do and that was continuing giving playing time to certain players that obviously did not earn time on the floor while not giving others a chance to actually earn more time on the floor.

That would have to be so frustrating to the players not given a fair chance to compete for playing time by the coach who has total control of that playing time.

I would transfer and I never quit anything in my life. I wouldn't transfer because of the competition, it would be for the lack of not being given a fair opportunity to play.

So what is the point of the Pro Day UK has then? Oh wait, I know. It's because the NBA is what Cal bases everything on.
Toppin has some game, but he ain't NBA ready yet.
pro day is at the beginning of the year
i agree i do not think he is ready and i stated twice that i think the NBA people will probably tell him to return
that does not change the fact that he should go through the process and get as much info from the NBA people (his future employers) as he can

That.....and one thing I haven't seen anybody mention is his brother. Would Obi advise him to stay in school and get better...or would he tell him that his game is good enough as it stands? Obi knows now what it's like to go from college to the pro game. An insight that Jacob has that most don't.
Obi is struggling in the NBA, so far.

Reactions: OHIO COLONEL
Obi is struggling in the NBA, so far.
I don't pay attention to the NBA but that doesn't surprise me a whole lot. While in college at U of Dayton it seemed like about every shot was a slam/dunk. Didn't watch him a lot while he was there, but I don't remember a lot of mid-long range jumpers. But that doesn't mean after being in the league for a couple years that he won't turn out to be very good.

The fan base doesn't drive crap in this program, just ask Cal. According to how he thinks we have just enough sense to walk around. If the fan base had any say 75%+ of the team wouldn't pack up and leave after a year or less.
Some of our fan base and in other programs are stupid, they start rumors about transferring all because they hate Cal. With that Ware is asked the question based on rumor he said no I am coming back. That is why Brooks family said it was fake news that he is thinking about transferring. Toppin has already said this year was a bonus year for him and he is looking forward to next. We still have folks on here asking when is he going tell us his plans. It is the fan base driving this narrative

Reactions: johnc17

information is knowledge
knowledge is power

Its totally fun as a fan to sit here and write haikus about dudes that played (some marginally well, some awful) for 7 months at Kentucky and talk about them going pro or leaving. Thus having to rely on the “transfer portal” to field a team. And trying to be like “yeah I’ve heard of him” when you see a thread about an obscure guy who just “entered the portal“.

I mean I don’t mean any ill will toward him at all but this is all just dumb and boring as a fan anymore.

Reactions: STL_Cat and KFuqua
It will sure beat the old, where we knew we were going to lose most of them. Cal would still like to get them out the door, but his recruiting has fallen off.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
I guess it depends on what era, this is not the Joe B ear or the Pitino era and right now I don't see much difference between Cal and Tubby as far as results and Tubby did it with less talent.

Reactions: willievic
If he works on his game this summer, i.e. getting stronger, working on staying low, power drop step and baby hook, I think Ware could show MAJOR improvement next year. I saw a lot of little things to like about his game this year. Just needs more time to put it together. I hope he stays.
HIs aggressiveness was a breath of fresh air, compared to the rest of the team.

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
Obi would probably say “I have enough money to cover ya little bro so hang another year or 2 and graduate @UK”

Reactions: OHIO COLONEL
There was a time when this would be such a random and odd question to ask. Why should Jacob Toppin be making an announcement about anything other than what classes he plans to take next year (I'm being facetious ... I don't think he should actually be announcing his class schedule, so calm down).

Alas, it's actually against all odds a fair question in 2021.
It's an interesting question.....we literally have kids with the potential talent level of guys like former UK players like Anthony Epps, Antwain Barbour, Jules Camara, Erik Daniels, Ramel Bradley, Perry Stevenson, etc...that have a mindset they are good enough to make $$$ in pro ball vs. college ball.

- Was there much of any difference between Antwain Barbour vs. Terrance Clarke? Barbour was not that good at UK but was a good athlete and I don't remember him doing anything in NBA....
- Ramel Bradley/Cliff Hawkins.....are on the same level of talent of Ashton Hagans/Marquis Teague...who both left UK after 1-2 years and will do little to anything in NBA.

We are in a new era where college education means little to nothing and isn't valued. I think it's well past time for college to reset and push themselves to value of college and let kids that don't value education to move on if that is their desire. I think we should push this on coaches as well to value college/education once again.

It's an interesting question.....we literally have kids with the potential talent level of guys like former UK players like Anthony Epps, Antwain Barbour, Jules Camara, Erik Daniels, Ramel Bradley, Perry Stevenson, etc...that have a mindset they are good enough to make $$$ in pro ball vs. college ball.

- Was there much of any difference between Antwain Barbour vs. Terrance Clarke? Barbour was not that good at UK but was a good athlete and I don't remember him doing anything in NBA....
- Ramel Bradley/Cliff Hawkins.....are on the same level of talent of Ashton Hagans/Marquis Teague...who both left UK after 1-2 years and will do little to anything in NBA.

We are in a new era where college education means little to nothing and isn't valued. I think it's well past time for college to reset and push themselves to value of college and let kids that don't value education to move on if that is their desire. I think we should push this on coaches as well to value college/education once again.
Barbour was better than Boston or Clarke

Spot on...

Reactions: ukfan041
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT