ADVERTISEMENT

Sources Say

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
Listening to them now and everything they are saying is right.

Cal did this to himself, he put all his chips in on this team. This was the team that was supposed to be Kentucky basketball good and look at where we are now.

There is absolutely nothing Cal can do or say to get this fan base back on board. If you lose this fan base then the decision is an easy one to make. You will not last here without the fans.

The thing is, they WOULD have been good if he JUST started Reed going forward back when DJ was injured. That was it, he could have done nothing else Not that it was through any genius of his coaching, but this roster will always be good enough to have rolled to a Final4, if they just got the lineups right.

I get the sense that UK is just going to have to wait another year before they can do the buyout (heck, maybe even 2). The hope here is that some of these players were fine playing for him, and that if we can just get rid of DJ and his family.. maybe we can play the right roster next year and rattle off a few wins before sending Cal packing for good.

Cal did this to himself, he put all his chips in on this team. This was the team that was supposed to be Kentucky basketball good and look at where we are now.

There is absolutely nothing Cal can do or say to get this fan base back on board. If you lose this fan base then the decision is an easy one to make. You will not last here without the fans.
Have they said anything about what they think the decision from Mitch would be?

• Haha
Reactions: NociHTTP

If Cal is back next year it will be the most miserable year in the SOB’s life. And I feel sorry for the players because the stress and pressure will definitely trickle down to them also .

Sounds like they don't really know anything of value at all.

Sources?

90S Whispering GIF

Pilgrim just said cal wants to come back and prove he can change. Hell no, he doesn’t get that chance anymore he has multiple opportunities, his used car salesman’s pitch is old. It’s time to move on, Mitch don’t fall for his bullshit
Quote from Cal

When asked if he’ll rethink his philosophy moving forward, he paused.

“It’s a good question. Like, I’ve done this with young teams my whole career, and it’s going to be hard for me to change that, because we’ve helped so many young people and their families that I don’t see myself just saying, okay, we’re not going to recruit freshmen.”

He won't change!

Quote from Cal

When asked if he’ll rethink his philosophy moving forward, he paused.

“It’s a good question. Like, I’ve done this with young teams my whole career, and it’s going to be hard for me to change that, because we’ve helped so many young people and their families that I don’t see myself just saying, okay, we’re not going to recruit freshmen.”

He won't change!
Agree. There just isn’t any scenario where bringing him back makes any sense. The pressure on next years team if he were to come back would this year times a million. Both sides just need a reset

He didn't put everything on this team. He put it all on three players: dj, Edwards, and Bradshaw. That's why he stuck with them no matter what.

Had he put it all on this team, by December he would've made dillingham THE man like he had with numerous other talented guys, reed would've started, and thiero would've gotten Edwards minutes.

He sold our entire season to play those three guys.

Pilgrim just said cal wants to come back and prove he can change. Hell no, he doesn’t get that chance anymore he has multiple opportunities, his used car salesman’s pitch is old. It’s time to move on, Mitch don’t fall for his bullshit
Only way that would ever be tenable is if you somehow get Reed and Z back, and most importantly, Cal would need to actually own his mistakes. Something like, “I’ve been wrong the last few years and the Bennie lineups were actually the correct lineups we should have gone too. I will now go back to playing my best players the most and putting them in the best situations to win”. His ego will never allow this to happen though so it doesn’t matter, if he is back it will get ugly

Cal is all about recruiting the best freshmen he can and getting them to the league after one season. This he does, often to the detriment of the program. This is why he has to go. We can't compete with freshmen in this era of college basketball. And Cal isn't going to not play his "favorites" to bring in the experienced transfer portal guys we need to build a competitive roster. Cal just simply no longer fits in here.

He didn't put everything on this team. He put it all on three players: dj, Edwards, and Bradshaw. That's why he stuck with them no matter what.

Had he put it all on this team, by December he would've made dillingham THE man like he had with numerous other talented guys, reed would've started, and thiero would've gotten Edwards minutes.

He barely played Bradshaw? Lol

The thing is, they WOULD have been good if he JUST started Reed going forward back when DJ was injured. That was it, he could have done nothing else Not that it was through any genius of his coaching, but this roster will always be good enough to have rolled to a Final4, if they just got the lineups right.

I get the sense that UK is just going to have to wait another year before they can do the buyout (heck, maybe even 2). The hope here is that some of these players were fine playing for him, and that if we can just get rid of DJ and his family.. maybe we can play the right roster next year and rattle off a few wins before sending Cal packing for good.
While i agree he should have started Reed from there on out. I don’t see how that would have been a significant change. I mean from that point on Reed averaged 33-34 mpg. The bigger problems were thst our D did not improve, and we never developed a good inside option to complement the 3 R’s.

The g d truth

Reactions: jrpross
But why would they do that?
The moment Justin missed that dunk the thought that popped into my head....OMG has organized crime gambling ring gotten to this team? Are we reliving the 50s all over again? This game has got to be a fix...no way he missed that .
Hope its not the case but it sure would explain the level of ridiculousness of the last few years...sports gambling is legal almost everywhere now....why wouldn't the bad actors get involved and try to profit from it it?

While i agree he should have started Reed from there on out. I don’t see how that would have been a significant change. I mean from that point on Reed averaged 33-34 mpg. The bigger problems were thst our D did not improve, and we never developed a good inside option to complement the 3 R’s.

I think it's not so much of giving Reed minutes, but taking minutes away from DJ, who just killed us too many times. Hell I said back in December, that he's just not a good point guard. He's a 2nd unit combo guard.

Maybe if Reed got the reps earlier, he would have been more ready for the game against Oakland.

The defense is another issue. I just don't get how we can have top defenses for years and then just really let this go. Was it the players we were getting? Wad it focusing too much on offense?

Reactions: BlazerHallsBallsN96
They talked about how Cals argument would be let me run it back with some returning players and guys coming in.

But IMO the pressure on that team next season if Cal were to return would be 1000x worse. It wouldn’t be fair to the players or the fans, because you put yourself in a position where every game you better win and you better make a run and that is a lot of pressure to put on a team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT