ADVERTISEMENT

This situation with sharpe is why fans are turning on cal.

With Cal's track record with potential top 10 picks, do you believe he allows Sharpe to play next season when he is projected to be a top 6 pick? I DON'T.

Boggie came out and stated publicly that Cal REFUSED to allow him to return to UK even though he wanted to because he was going to be a top 10 pick.
Who?

Boogie Cousins for one.

Dejaun Wagner was told he couldn't come back and got paid BEFORE getting injured, which has made Cal INSISTANT upon kids leaving when they are going to be drafted high.

Kidd-Gilchrest is another player that said Cal wouldn't allow him to come back because he would be a top 5 pick. There are MANY others(DeAaron Fox even came out PUBLICLY and stated that Cal cared about getting kids to the NBA MORE than winning).

Not that difficult figuring out how this Sharpe situation is going to end.

Last edited:
His Wheeler gem of a thread wasn’t enough.
Dude because you don’t agree doesn’t make it wrong or bad there are about half of bbn that feel the same as me on both issues. Attacking me bc you don’t like the substance well thats the civil war going on in the fan base. I always thought you were a good poster who could understand discourse whether you agree or not. Too many people want to attack the messenger for what’s actually happening and been happening for years instead addressing the root cause.

Reactions: CincyUKFan
It’s funny though that it hasn’t happened yet, in fact nothing has changed since the moment he committed so far yet we have 6 threads of this same crap. It’s ridiculous.
It is happening bc the entire time our fans have been lied to and continue to be mislead. It’s the very definition of drama. How can you honestly act like none of this is occurring. Cal says it’s sharpes decision to play this year his handler says it’s Cals. Someone is lying and we’ve been mislead on many things for years. There is a collective cry for this stuff to stop. Some of you haven’t caught the train yet

I get what you guys are saying here BUT let me play the devils advocate here, you are a coach of a big time basketball program that just had its worst season in nearly a century. The number one player in the country tells you he wants to come play for you, What do you say” Come on down” is what you say. Then he tells you I can graduate early and join your team in January practice learn the system and have a huge jump next( which everyone knows will be your only year in college) What do you say, “ Come on down” is what you say. At the time this happened nobody KNEW he would even be eligible for this years draft.Granted there was always a suspicion that the NBA can do whatever its wants to as its draft rules are not etched in stone. Somebody tell me what Cal did that you would have done is his place. Now the NBA says he can play in the NBA next year and he will likely be a lottery pick. If he wants to go right away pray tell how you can stop him.
I have hated the one and done system since it was adopted here. It brought instant results but the cumulative effect over time has been devastating to,our traditions and our fan base. The entire culture of our program has changed. I realize many say that’s the way bigtime basketball is these days but in truth some other teams that haven’t adopted the one and done have been pretty successful One and done has produced only one title here, the traditional way has produced the same for teams like Virginia and Villanova. I personally don’t think Cal has changed his recruiting philosophy since he got here. Recruit the absolute best players you can and play em a year and get ready for the next batch. That’s why most come here not to play for UK but to prepare for their pro career. I don’t know Sharpe and I don’t know his motivation but my bet is that’s why he came here. Now he has a chance to go without ever playing. If somebody offered me a chance to make 20 million dollars at 19, your damn right I would take it. Will Cal be okay with it if he does, sure, did he create the system that makes it possible NO.
I hear this all the time and it makes no sense. The "one and one system" is not a Kentucky thing. It is an NBA rule. So are we supposed to not recruit the best talent because we are afraid they won't come back their sophomore year? Instead, we should focus on players like Dontae Allen, who was Mr. Kentucky, but after 3 years still isn't worth a shit and can't help us beat a good team? To blame Cal for recruiting the best players is flat stupid. I understand that our fans have had to adapt to the changes in the rules. So has everyone else. But, Kentucky didn't make this shit up. We just happened to be the first school to figure it out and take advantage of it. To be mad at our coach because a kid leaves is wrong. If your desire is that we recruit players that aren't good enough to go to the NBA because you are mad at Cal for marketing our program as an NBA feeder, we will have worse seasons than last year. You have to always get the best players that are available, no matter how long they stay. So if Sharpe does decide to leave, which right now he says he isn't, that will still show other great players that they should come to Kentucky. Keep in mind that Sharpe is not keeping anyone else from being on our roster. He is basically an extra. If he plays this year and can help, great. If he can't help, I trust our coach to make that decision. There are too many people on this board that think they know more basketball than a Hall of Fame coach.

• Wow
Reactions: Graham51 and catben
Drama drama drama. Not to mention the losing like we never lost before. After the worst losing season folks were amped to get the first elite recruit in some time. Now? We don’t know if he plays this year next year or the highly possible never. It is a vicious rollercoaster of revolving door of players and in since 2015 subpar UK results. I don’t know who’s being played, us, cal or what and I don’t care. I want stability in this program. As a life long fan 47 years I still own a share of season tickets I want consistency and stability.

instead we are set up for another offseason of unknowns about a roster that was shaping up to be worth another shot. We re gonna get into may after a likely early out and it’s gonna be is sharpe staying after 0 years or is he gone? Sitting on pins and needles. I speak for a lot of fans when I say this has by far worn the fan base thin. Apathy has set in. Our tickets. 4 rows up behind the visitor bench and scorers table. You’re on espn the entire game. 4 home games this year those seats have been empty. I even offered to give them to my buddy for a game and he said he couldn’t go he had something better to do. What was it? Go to dinner with his high school buddy. He could have taken him to the game but didn’t. I mean really? You don’t want seats on the floor basically? I’ve sensed where things were going for a while now but this year when I couldn’t give those tickets away the reality set in that fans have better things to do.

it’s unfortunate because UK basketball has been a way of life for central Kentuckians for generations. The love for it is passed down from grandpas to grand sons. Fathers to daughters etc. The apathy now though is palpable and the floor is about to fall out if this sharpe situation goes the way it seems to be developing.
Go away, UK is 14-3 and on a run and this is your take! What is wrong with you? I know there are several ready to pounce after a loss and many like you are praying it comes at Auburn. I advise you to either get a new hobby or a new team if it makes you this miserable. You know it isn't your decision right? Many on this board are downright pathetic or mad bc he isn't Anti American enough
Just another black mark on the once proud program. We are used to it by now. Some even happy with Cal only getting shooters and not top talent and the talent staying a few years like everywhere else does at other program. Self always has guys staying 3 years where we get for a year and wonder why self has also carried ku to the all times wins but some here wont wake up and smell the roses.
I hate the way this season is going, there are at least 10 teams better than we are! That is unacceptable. After last season we had better win 2 natty's this year

Reactions: TJWalkersBurner
Does he start “20 of these a week” or is that an exaggeration?
So you delete the "or one of his minions" and then claim I exaggerated?

Do the polls in this very forum, both recent and from the past few seasons, reveal only a “small but odorous” opposition grou
A portion of the polls on this board represents the majority of UK fans of basketball (which by my definition is eliminating the political nuts that see everything Cal through Florida Orangeman lenses)?

Do you know where each and every person that dislikes Cal stands politically? Or if politics have anything to do with their attitude toward him as a coach?
Yes. The vast majority of the frothing anti-kneelers are January 6'ers.

Do your politics influence your opinion of Cal? You seem to have very strong feelings regarding political matters and a disdain for those who are in a different camp.
I don't know or care what Cal's politics are. I have strong feelings about Kentucky basketball and I hate to come in here and wade through incredibly short-sighted mindless posts attacking our HOF coach (1 of only 6 active coaches to be named) that has won a National Championship, 4 Final Fours, a 354–96 (.787) record at UK, 6 SEC Tournament Championships, 6 Regular Season SEC Championships, 3 time Naismith COY, AP COY, 3x NABC COY, 2x Basketball Times COY, 2x Adolph Rupp Cup, Jim Phelan National COY, 2x SEC COY, 3x CUSA COY, and 3x A10 COY.

The reason it is so PATENTLY ABSURD to be trying to run Cal off is it is at exactly the moment when K at Duke is retiring, Roy is already gone from UNC, Bill Self has been and still probably is in trouble at Kansas... Cal is poised to own College Basketball but a small, highly stupid, dull witted, big mouthed rabble of snake handlers are trying to ruin it all because of what some kids did to protest police violence against African Americans.

So "yes" I cannot stand the air you morons breath.

Last edited:
Being draft eligible equals going to the draft?

That isn’t how it works.

Now, granted, if a guy is a projected top 5 pick, he is almost assuredly gone, but that still doesn’t change the fact that nothing has been decided yet that we know about.

Even if Cal knew he was planning to leave, I don’t fault Cal for taking the chance on him.

If Sharpe decides to play tomorrow and Cal plays him, then great.

If Sharpe decides not to play and Cal let’s him practice, then big deal.

But getting him on campus was not a bad thing, regardless of the outcome.

But Cal can’t force the kid to play. It doesn’t work that way. He can tell him to play or leave, but that would be a terrible move, IMHO. It would hurt recruiting in the future for sure.

But go ahead and be outraged. You guys are good at it.

I’ll just enjoy this season, whether Sharpe plays or not.
Your entire post is nothing but pure denial.

You don't want to admit it, but deep down you know he's gone.

And he's not going to risk injury to play this season. If I end up being wrong, I'll be astounded.

Reactions: catben
Half a dozen threads on this, but you have to start another one to add nothing but this maudlin, whiny nonsense?

Calipari took his best shot at the #1 recruit. He didn’t create the rules. If he didn’t go after Sharpe he wouldn’t be doing his job. If it doesn’t work out, he’ll still put a strong team on the floor.

Some of you people need to grow up, lose your sense of entitlement and face the reality that exists in college sports today. Or quit following the sport if it leaves you so bitter and emotionally crippled.
how do people keep coming up with this dumb ass stuff is just unbelievable.

Meh, it’s kinda a win win…Sharpe is at UK, so if he leaves and gets drafted, another selling point for Cal to recruits, especially if he goes to the league and does well, which I’m assuming he will. If he decides to stay, he improves next years roster.

I kinda expect some Memphis transfers to end up at UK trying to get their draft stock back up! 😂😂
If he never plays, just how would that be a selling point for Cal or for any coach for that matter? I mean, the only thing he could take credit for is getting the kid to sign a piece of paper.

A portion of the polls on this board represents the majority of UK fans of basketball (which by my definition is eliminating the political nuts that see everything Cal through Florida Orangeman lenses)?

I don't know or care what Cal's politics are. I have strong feelings about Kentucky basketball and I hate to come in here and wade through incredibly short-sighted mindless posts attacking our HOF coach (1 of only 6 active coaches to be named) that has won a National Championship, 4 Final Fours, a 354–96 (.787) record at UK, 6 SEC Tournament Championships, 6 Regular Season SEC Championships, 3 time Naismith COY, AP COY, 3x NABC COY, 2x Basketball Times COY, 2x Adolph Rupp Cup, Jim Phelan National COY, 2x SEC COY, 3x CUSA COY, and 3x A10 COY.

The reason it is so PATENTLY ABSURD to be trying to run Cal off is it is at exactly the moment when K at Duke is retiring, Roy is already gone from UNC, Bill Self has been and still probably is in trouble at Kansas... Cal is poised to own College Basketball but a small, highly stupid, dull witted, big mouthed rabble of snake handlers are trying to ruin it all because of what some kids did to protest police violence against African Americans.

You are an absolute moron and should be shown the door. You are trash, and that’s an insult to trash.

• Haha
Reactions: Cleisthenes

Funny thing is I don’t notice all these “political nuts” on the board. But I see you. Grouping “the vast majority” of those who don’t like Cal as UK’s coach as “January 6’ers.” Good grief. You’ve got multiple people, in this thread, telling you they lean politically left and don’t like him.

I can’t imagine viewing everything through a political lens. Maybe stop reading the news and labeling and categorizing everyone and spend some time outdoors. Might serve you well.

Funny thing is I don’t notice all these “political nuts” on the board. But I see you. Grouping “the vast majority” of those who don’t like Cal as UK’s coach as “January 6’ers.” Good grief. You’ve got multiple people, in this thread, telling you they lean politically left and don’t like him.

I can’t imagine viewing everything through a political lens. Maybe stop reading the news and labeling and categorizing everyone and spend some time outdoors. Might serve you well.
Don’t bother. The little guy clearly has the I.Q. of a banana slug. He’s a newbie and probably came onto the board to just to spew stupidity. I’ll give him credit. He’s good at that.

My mom died in a fire at the hospital she was volunteering at to take care of cancer patients so your remark is very hurtful. Please donate 10% of your salary this month to help the crippled see again. Thanks.
A VERY poor attempt at humor. Try harder.

I hear this all the time and it makes no sense. The "one and one system" is not a Kentucky thing. It is an NBA rule. So are we supposed to not recruit the best talent because we are afraid they won't come back their sophomore year? Instead, we should focus on players like Dontae Allen, who was Mr. Kentucky, but after 3 years still isn't worth a shit and can't help us beat a good team? To blame Cal for recruiting the best players is flat stupid. I understand that our fans have had to adapt to the changes in the rules. So has everyone else. But, Kentucky didn't make this shit up. We just happened to be the first school to figure it out and take advantage of it. To be mad at our coach because a kid leaves is wrong. If your desire is that we recruit players that aren't good enough to go to the NBA because you are mad at Cal for marketing our program as an NBA feeder, we will have worse seasons than last year. You have to always get the best players that are available, no matter how long they stay. So if Sharpe does decide to leave, which right now he says he isn't, that will still show other great players that they should come to Kentucky. Keep in mind that Sharpe is not keeping anyone else from being on our roster. He is basically an extra. If he plays this year and can help, great. If he can't help, I trust our coach to make that decision. There are too many people on this board that think they know more basketball than a Hall of Fame coach.
The way we are doing things is NOT the only way to win in college basketball and if you say it is you just aren’t looking. Cal has sold everyone on the idea that this is the way it’s done now, and yes some programs are doing it that way but several others are not and they have won just as many titles as Cal has. I have many friends from my military days that live all over the country and root for other teams, To a man they rib me about rooting for Mercenary U. I said earlier that I did not blame Cal for whatever Sharpe chose to do, I do blame him for creating a culture here that the majority of players sole reason for coming here is an NBA prep school., you are mistaken if you believe players at every D1 power 5 have that culture.

Last edited:
The way we are doing things is NOT the only way to win in college basketball and if you say it is you just aren’t looking. Cal has sold everyone on the idea that this is the way it’s done now, and yes some programs are doing it that way but several others are not and they have won just as many titles as Cal has. I have many friends from my military days that live all over the country and root for other teams, To a man they rib me about rooting for Mercenary U. I said earlier that I did not blame Cal for whatever Sharpe chose to do, I do blame him for creating a culture here that the majority of players sole reason for coming here is an NBA prep school., you are mistaken if you believe players at every D1 power 5 have that culture.
so, you don't like him getting the best players?

I could live with getting the best players available that want to play basketball for the University of Kentucky. I think we could find some pretty good ones and actually build a team

Reactions: docholiday51
Dude because you don’t agree doesn’t make it wrong or bad there are about half of bbn that feel the same as me on both issues. Attacking me bc you don’t like the substance well thats the civil war going on in the fan base. I always thought you were a good poster who could understand discourse whether you agree or not. Too many people want to attack the messenger for what’s actually happening and been happening for years instead addressing the root cause.
I’m not attacking you, I just think that those posts are what’s helping this “civil war”. I’m sorry you don’t like it but the overall reaction to that post was that it was wrong and it’s objectively not true. You have every right to continue to post whatever you want. Doesn’t mean it won’t get feedback though.

I don’t hate Cal, nor do I worship the ground he walks on. I WANT to like Cal, but he’s making it difficult.

All the talk about “ending generational poverty” is nice, but it’s starting to ring hollow with me. Cal is notorious for not using all available scholarships. Playing in the NBA isn’t the only way to “end generational poverty”, it can also be done with a college education.

Why not give those remaining scholarships to KY basketball players who wouldn’t otherwise have the means to pay for an education, regardless of their skill level/worthiness of playing bball at UK? Maybe a kid from a poor region in the state who might be the first in his family to go to college? Who cares if he isn’t a D1 level talent and “won’t help us hang a 9th banner”? If Sharpe doesn’t play, he didn’t either.

That to me is what is so infuriating about this SS situation if it plays out the way many people (myself include) suspect.

Reactions: LowCountryCat
I don’t hate Cal, nor do I worship the ground he walks on. I WANT to like Cal, but he’s making it difficult.

All the talk about “ending generational poverty” is nice, but it’s starting to ring hollow with me. Cal is notorious for not using all available scholarships. Playing in the NBA isn’t the only way to “end generational poverty”, it can also be done with a college education.

Why not give those remaining scholarships to KY basketball players who wouldn’t otherwise have the means to pay for an education, regardless of their skill level/worthiness of playing bball at UK? Maybe a kid from a poor region in the state who might be the first in his family to go to college? Who cares if he isn’t a D1 level talent and “won’t help us hang a 9th banner”? If Sharpe doesn’t play, he didn’t either.

That to me is what is so infuriating about this SS situation if it plays out the way many people (myself include) suspect.
This sort of incapsulates why our fan base (at least on this board) will never be satisfied. We’re in the middle of a great season, and you’re mad at Cal because…he used a scholarship on the number one recruit in the country instead of a good ole kentucky boy who might not even be D1 caliber.

I do blame him for creating a culture here that the majority of players sole reason for coming here is an NBA prep school., you are mistaken if you believe players at every D1 power 5 have that culture.
So no Anthony Davis, no Karl Anthony Towns, no MKG, no John Wall, no Demarcus Cousins, no Devin Booker, no Jamal Murray, no Malik Monk, no Julius Randle, no PJ Washington... no top 50 players at all. Just the Travis Fords, John Pelphreys, and Richie Farmers...

Great idea. We can change our name to the Eastern Kentucky Wildcats and play NAIA basketball.

So no Anthony Davis, no Karl Anthony Towns, no MKG, no John Wall, no Demarcus Cousins, no Devin Booker, no Jamal Murray, no Malik Monk, no Julius Randle, no PJ Washington... no top 50 players at all. Just the Travis Fords, John Pelphreys, and Richie Farmers...

Great idea. We can change our name to the Eastern Kentucky Wildcats and play NAIA basketball.
With all that said we have won 1 title, Villanova has won 2 doing it a totally different way, Virginia has won as many as us in that time frame doing it differently. I am not saying we haven’t had success but at what cost. I am saying that the Cal model is NOT the only way that works in modern college basketball as many of our fans think.

With all that said we have won 1 title, Villanova has won 2 doing it a totally different way, Virginia has won as many as us in that time frame doing it differently. I am not saying we haven’t had success but at what cost. I am saying that the Cal model is NOT the only way that works in modern college basketball as many of our fans think.

Not true. Deli Owl is good people. He just needs to admit the truth to himself. You're okay too but you're just living in denial.
Maybe, but why so angry, man? It’s just a discussion.

When it’s all said and done, is it worth getting mad about?

I’m just in wait and see mode.

Either way, in the end, I’m still a Cat fan just like you.

Reactions: ArtLaibsGhost
This sort of incapsulates why our fan base (at least on this board) will never be satisfied. We’re in the middle of a great season, and you’re mad at Cal because…he used a scholarship on the number one recruit in the country instead of a good ole kentucky boy who might not even be D1 caliber.
Respectfully, you missed the point entirely.

I’m ONLY referring to the notion of Sharpe potentially never playing a minute at UK despite benefiting from everything UK has to offer instead of staying HS this season. Of course, it remains to be seen how it will play out.

I’m simply saying that if Cal is going to have this happen again in the future (whether intentionally or not), might as well burn the other scholarships on guys who won’t give anything back either in terms of wins and losses, but would benefit from the educational perks of UK, not just the bball perks.

I am ecstatic about the team we have on the floor. We beat UNC, and we pounded UT, couldn’t go much better IMO, we lost to a very good Duke team and a loss to Notre Dame in first road game, regrettable but we always seem to lose 1 or 2 that we shouldn’t with better rosters than we have this year. So far so good.

Reactions: Looksbetterinblue
Your agenda shows when you argue dishonestly.

He didn't say he was 'mad' so you overstated that.

And you understated what Cal did. He used a scholarship on the 'number one recruit in the country' WHO ISN'T GOING TO PLAY.

You're so transparent it's laughable.

🤡

Reactions: kartmd
I’m not attacking you, I just think that those posts are what’s helping this “civil war”. I’m sorry you don’t like it but the overall reaction to that post was that it was wrong and it’s objectively not true. You have every right to continue to post whatever you want. Doesn’t mean it won’t get feedback though.
I think over time that post has proven to be true. Without a doubt we re not making a run unless tyty and mintz have the ball in their hands. Wheeler is to inconsistent to win even 3 in a row in March. It don’t have anything to do with wheeler or anyone’s feelings it’s solely what gives us the best chance to win.

I’m gonna throw this in there. I was one of the first people to call for LB at qb 2 seasons ago. I was ridiculed and raked over the coals for at then saying our best chance was to put it into the hands of our best player every snap. I got the same crap I did in the wheeler thread. Well that turned out pretty well. I’m saying the same thing here. Put the ball in your best players hands every possession. Let your best player who happens to be a pretty damned good pg, let him run the stinkin offense. It’s the same thing. As a soccer coach, hi level not of this ymca crap high school 5A and college level D2 head coach I had a simple philosophy: your best player needs to be getting the most touches. With one exception is if the goalkeeper is the best player. Then you’re Fd. I mean right ? My dominant player was usually a center mid or vs a dominant opponent maybe I started him in a more defensive mid role. The bottom line that guy is going to be our primary point of attack, play through him. Don’t forced square pegs into round holes. And when I say best player I’m talking 80% mentally 20% skill. It’s all between the ears my man.

It’s evident that tyty is this player. He’s the best player outside oscar on the team. He’s more than capable at pg, very cerebral, without a doubt we should be running our offense through him. He is a complete player run it through him it’s a no brainer. I can live with tyty growing pains bc I know we will be a better team in March. Don’t get me wrong wheeler will be valuable in some games but we can’t count on him consistently.

Boogie Cousins for one.

Dejaun Wagner was told he couldn't come back and got paid BEFORE getting injured, which has made Cal INSISTANT upon kids leaving when they are going to be drafted high.

Kidd-Gilchrest is another player that said Cal wouldn't allow him to come back because he would be a top 5 pick. There are MANY others(DeAaron Fox even came out PUBLICLY and stated that Cal cared about getting kids to the NBA MORE than winning).

Not that difficult figuring out how this Sharpe situation is going to end.
Do you really think they were sincere, I mean honestly? The one I could halfway agree is Boogie, as he said he loved UK and it was the first time in his life he could be himself without being judged. But I still don't legitimately think he was gonna stay behind without Wall and Bledsoe.

You are badly paraphrasing what Fox said on what I assume is the JJ Redick podcast.

Look we're having a good season. Why let something that hasn't happened yet bother you? Don't sweat stuff that's outta your hands. Save the vitriol for the moment, if it comes to pass.

Do you really think they were sincere, I mean honestly? The one I could halfway agree is Boogie, as he said he loved UK and it was the first time in his life he could be himself without being judged. But I still don't legitimately think he was gonna stay behind without Wall and Bledsoe.

You are badly paraphrasing what Fox said on what I assume is the JJ Redick podcast.

Look we're having a good season. Why let something that hasn't happened yet bother you? Don't sweat stuff that's outta your hands. Save the vitriol for the moment, if it comes to pass.
People were good with Sharpe not playing this year, and being the dog next year. They're rightfully ticked upon learning that it's quite probable that he will neither play here this year or next. But after this game with Auburn, everyone will have something new to talk about, win or lose.

Reactions: michaeluk26
People were good with Sharpe not playing this year, and being the dog next year. They're rightfully ticked upon learning that it's quite probable that he will neither play here this year or next. But after this game with Auburn, everyone will have something new to talk about, win or lose.
Oh trust me if that comes to pass I'll blow a gasket.

Reactions: CincyUKFan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT