ADVERTISEMENT

Things that probably sounded like a good idea 100 years ago

I would say cell phones and social media will be number 1 before it's all said and done.
Around 10 years ago, we drove through Maine and spent a half hour or so looking at Bowdoin College. Mid-October.

There was nobody there. A beautiful Fall day, and their main quad was empty. After around 15 minutes, someone walked by. Since I'm shameless, I approached him and asked where everyone was. Short answer: in their dorms. What social life they had was indoors. On a computer or their phones.

So, I agree. Cell phones and social media. (My excuse: I'm in my mid 70s.) College age students whose only social contact was electronic? What a world.

Reactions: PhDcat2018
I think it’s funny to see old predictions for the future saying we would all have flying cars like on the Jetsons. We just had a thread about Kentuckians can’t negotiate a roundabout and we’re supposed to all have aircraft that goes 300mph, has no brakes, and with no traffic signals.
Not to mention that in the original Star Trek timeline, the Eugenics wars took place in the early 1990's and the antagonist of the second film that reigned over much of the World has long been sent frozen into space by now.

Even in the TNG movies which started in 1994, the second film said we would develop warp drive and make first contact with aliens (Vulcans) in 40 years from now which also followed WW3.

We were supposed to have hoverboards (according to Back to the Future) at least 8 years ago.

They did get some things right, though. Flip Phones, FaceTime, Movies and TV shows on demand, and online multiplayer gaming.

Still waiting for that OASIS though, from Ready Player One. I hear it is in its infancy from Meta. :)

I'd EASILY pay $1200 a year to be free from woke people.
Bwhahaha. This actually makes sense. Bunch of cowards who have been hoodwinked into being afraid of liberalism everywhere.

"You better give us thousands of dollars, and if not, the woke will move to bugnut hollar and getcha."

"Oh no.heres all my money. I'm the one that's a beta cuck. I'm afraid of the woke. Please protect me, everyday man millionaire who lives in New York and owns golf courses"

• Haha
Reactions: WTF Cat
Bwhahaha. This actually makes sense. Bunch of cowards who have been hoodwinked into being afraid of liberalism everywhere.

"You better give us thousands of dollars, and if not, the woke will move to bugnut hollar and getcha."

"Oh no.heres all my money. I'm the one that's a beta cuck. I'm afraid of the woke. Please protect me, everyday man millionaire who lives in New York and owns golf courses"
Afraid? Hardly...

Clearly you misinterpreted... I just generally avoid stupid people... which is why you're off to "Ignore" lol.

Words to live by:

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”​

― Mark Twain

Afraid? Hardly...

Clearly you misinterpreted... I just generally avoid stupid people... which is why you're off to "Ignore" lol.

Words to live by:

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”​

― Mark Twain
Twain understood ... you can't fix stupid !! 😎

Last edited:
Reactions: WTF Cat
Not to mention that in the original Star Trek timeline, the Eugenics wars took place in the early 1990's and the antagonist of the second film that reigned over much of the World has long been sent frozen into space by now.

Even in the TNG movies which started in 1994, the second film said we would develop warp drive and make first contact with aliens (Vulcans) in 40 years from now which also followed WW3.

In Space Seed, Spock notes that 1990s Earth records are fragmentary, and recently in SNW,

the temporal cold war shenanigans (from ENT and DISCO) show Khan as a youth in a lab in Toronto in 2023.

I personally don't like that retcon (I'm tired of time travel stuff in Star Trek), but whatever. It's still better than everything SNW has done with the Gorn. :/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT