ADVERTISEMENT

The Ukraine war. (Yes, we'll mind our manners)

Another area of Moldova has asked Russia for aid against Moldova government. It'll be interesting if people are for the people throwing off what they see as a over zealous government or if they think these people need to just shut up and free.

I'll bet he doesn't attack the Baltics. That would mean World War 3. And there's no benefit to it for Russia, anyway. Let's make a bet on it.
Would it? If Trump or a future US prez were to withdraw from NATO that organization is dead. Polls also show Western Europeans aren't keen to defend the East. And would a US president be willing to wage a nuke war over the Baltics? Also, those areas have Russian speaking populations that make them target for Putin expansion. In 5 years I could see Russia try to rile up problems and intervene to see how much NATOs alliance would hold.

Based on how much Putin seems to be thumbing his nose at the global system right bow, I don't think it can be discounted as a possibility.

Would it? If Trump or a future US prez were to withdraw from NATO that organization is dead. Polls also show Western Europeans aren't keen to defend the East. And would a US president be willing to wage a nuke war over the Baltics? Also, those areas have Russian speaking populations that make them target for Putin expansion. In 5 years I could see Russia try to rile up problems and intervene to see how much NATOs alliance would hold.

Based on how much Putin seems to be thumbing his nose at the global system right bow, I don't think it can be discounted as a possibility.
Putin has essentially been in charge of Russia since 1999. That's 25 years. If he's Hitler, why hasn't he yet started a World War? Hitler immediately started preparing Germany for aggression, and acted within 5 years, and would have sooner, had it been militarily feasible.

In any event, Putin will not attack the Baltics. NATO aside, these countries are NOT the Ukraine (to be blunt, I have been to these places, and they are part of the West and not a corrupt sewer), and they will be protected, if need be. The Baltic nations are a line that will not be crossed, anymore than Finland would be.

Putin has essentially been in charge of Russia since 1999. That's 25 years. If he's Hitler, why hasn't he yet started a World War? Hitler immediately started preparing Germany for aggression, and acted within 5 years, and would have sooner, had it been militarily feasible.

In any event, Putin will not attack the Baltics. NATO aside, these countries are NOT the Ukraine (to be blunt, I have been to these places, and they are part of the West and not a corrupt sewer), and they will be protected, if need be. The Baltic nations are a line that will not be crossed, anymore than Finland would be.
How can you be so naive? Putin is WORSE than Hitler. He is just more deliberate. But by 2150, I can assure you that Putin will have attacked another former Soviet Republic. It will make Hitler look like a Gandhi.

Reactions: Wildcats1st

Do you remember how bad Russia was before Putin took over? It took him a long time to even get things to a comparable setting. He inherited a war with Chechnya that had to be finished and spent much of the 2000s refashioning the Russian economy to his liking.

The idea that Putin's expansionist tendency is new is not correct. Remember the invasion of Georgia in 2008? He's had his fingers in Ukraine since the mid-2000s as well and to this day Russia is funding proxies to cause trouble throughout Eastern Europe and the West.

I love how there's this delusion that Putin wouldn't go for the Baltics. What in his past suggests he wouldn't? He's on record talking about taking them, complaining about the treatment of ethnic Russians there, and when he's saber rattled he's often followed up on those threats in what Russia has long considered its sphere of influence. I'm not advocating the use of U.S. forces in Ukraine but the idea that the West can just give up there and not worry about this in the future is foolish at best and delusional at worst. Putin won't immediately jump from Ukraine to this type of operation but many military analysts agree that IF he were to win in Ukraine he'd probably need about 3-5 years to rebuild Russia's forces before causing a new problem.

And without a NATO guarantee, the Baltics will fall. There'd be nothing holding Russia back there. Like, are Britain and France going to use their nukes to defend it? Their 500 warheads vs. like 6k for Russia isn't going to do anything.

So what are you suggesting we do?

Ukraine can’t win without additional man power. And if you’re suggesting Russia will use its nuclear arsenal to take the Baltics, do you think they won’t use those nuclear weapons if things take a turn in Ukraine?

Do the military analysts you’re following have a job if there’s no war?

Wow, what is wrong with you? You've been calling WWIII for a year, when does this happen? You do realize that you always revert to world war but Russia has become so weak that you had to come up with new combatants. Having NATO turn on itself is an interesting if not totally bizarre twist.

I dont know what nonsense you read but you need to put it down for a while.

Does the talk of conventional warfare by our NATO allies increase the chance of WWIII? Or is that just posturing?

While I'm not in the camp that thinks this leads to WW3, that's how these things go: they gradually develop. Like the adage about going bankrupt, slowly, then all at once.

If it happens, you can be assured that the propaganda about Putin the madman Hitler or "We have to defend Democracy!" had absolutely zero to do with it, the myopic incompetence which led us there.

And after Moldova it'll be the Baltics. Putin isn't going to stop.
Putin isn't going to stop what??? Having people in poor neighboring countries ask to join Russia? Did you miss the entire point of that story? Lot's of those people don't want to be in the EU.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
The people in these areas, believe it or not, actually want to be Russian, and would be much better off financially for it. The average Russian has something like three times the annual income of the pre-war Donbas Ukrainian.

That's not the case in the Baltics, which are not poor, and where the much smaller Russian minority does not face oppression like they do from western Ukrainians. Those Russian Moldovans in transnistria have desired a return to Russia since the dissolution of the USSR.

Does anyone on this thread advocate sending troops? It appears that the hawks here are outnumbered, but there are still about five or six who post. OK, hawks, is it time to send troops, and a simple yes or not will suffice to answer the question. VH, Big Blue GA, Richie, Catemus, Bcw, Entropy, let's have answers. Troops, or no? War, or not?
Negative.

Do you remember how bad Russia was before Putin took over? It took him a long time to even get things to a comparable setting. He inherited a war with Chechnya that had to be finished and spent much of the 2000s refashioning the Russian economy to his liking.

The idea that Putin's expansionist tendency is new is not correct. Remember the invasion of Georgia in 2008? He's had his fingers in Ukraine since the mid-2000s as well and to this day Russia is funding proxies to cause trouble throughout Eastern Europe and the West.

This is a good post right here. KYExtemper rightly calls out the following showcasing that Putin is basically Hitler but worse:
  • Putin would have invaded other countries much sooner, but his economy was bad. This is much different than Germany whose economy was going gang busters thanks to the treaty of Versailles. Yeah, the mark was trading 1 Trillion to 1 against the dollar, but everything else was good, right?
  • Putin's move into Georgia is also very similar to Hitler taking over Austria, Poland, France, Greece, Norway, Albania and Czechoslovakia. Yeah, the Russians only took a Russian centric part of the country and didn't take the entire country even though they could. I can totally see that Hitler would have never done anything that bad.

This is a good post right here. KYExtemper rightly calls out the following showcasing that Putin is basically Hitler but worse:
  • Putin would have invaded other countries much sooner, but his economy was bad. This is much different than Germany whose economy was going gang busters thanks to the treaty of Versailles. Yeah, the mark was trading 1 Trillion to 1 against the dollar, but everything else was good, right?
  • Putin's move into Georgia is also very similar to Hitler taking over Austria, Poland, France, Greece, Norway, Albania and Czechoslovakia. Yeah, the Russians only took a Russian centric part of the country and didn't take the entire country even though they could. I can totally see that Hitler would have never done anything that bad.
And you also have to ignore the US had Marines in Georgia training soldiers to fight Russia. It's like they get pissed off that Putin doesn't wait til after we completely build up and army to attack Russia before he attacks.

You don't understand what's going on? Come on.
I think it's you that doesn't. The EU is bringing in tons of migrants and destroying their own economies for climate change. a few areas in Moldova are already poor as hell and don't want to keep going down the EU road. Do people have the right to choose their government or not? I guess you'd say they need to move to Russia and leave... well then why didn't Pro EU Ukrainians move to Europe instead of staging a coup in '14?

I think it's you that doesn't. The EU is bringing in tons of migrants and destroying their own economies for climate change. a few areas in Moldova are already poor as hell and don't want to keep going down the EU road. Do people have the right to choose their government or not? I guess you'd say they need to move to Russia and leave... well then why didn't Pro EU Ukrainians move to Europe instead of staging a coup in '14?
Hmm, so you freely admit these are areas of Moldova. Moldova has every right, just like Ukraine, to rid itself of extra-state tyrants. The Russian puppet outed in your "coup", good for Ukraine.

Hey, let's talk about the amusing air and devastating naval losses Putin is suffering.

Hmm, so you freely admit these are areas of Moldova. Moldova has every right, just like Ukraine, to rid itself of extra-state tyrants. The Russian puppet outed in your "coup", good for Ukraine.

Hey, let's talk about the amusing air and devastating naval losses Putin is suffering.

More time to post now that you’ve announced your retirement, Victoria?

So you didn't actually read it did you??? There are areas of Moldova that want to leave Moldova and become part of Russia. I wouldn't do that. I know you constantly have to lie to make a point but if you just look at the facts... There are people in Ukraine and Moldova that want to be part of Russia. They do not want to be part of the EU.

So you didn't actually read it did you??? There are areas of Moldova that want to leave Moldova and become part of Russia. I wouldn't do that. I know you constantly have to lie to make a point but if you just look at the facts... There are people in Ukraine and Moldova that want to be part of Russia. They do not want to be part of the EU.
Transnistria has been occupied by Russian troops for decades. The people there have no say. As for the woman leader of an area saying they want to join Russia, on its face she’s being by Putin. And both add up to small population.

And I take if Dandy Andy said Kentucky wants to be part of Russia you’d be OK with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catemus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT