ADVERTISEMENT

Wake insider breaks down Andrew Carr's game

From the article:

"He was more valuable to Wake on the defensive end of the court than offensively. It's not that he was a poor offensive player. He was just better defensively. He's a good rim protector. It's not like he's going to be up there swatting balls off the backboard but he'll wind up with some good fundamental blocks. He'll move his feet well."

This is the part that stood out to me while watching him. He plays the post straight up without his arms coming down towards the offensive player.

What stood out to me is the section discussing how his coach at WF posted him up and they got the win, in large part, to Carr’s paint dominance over Mitchell.

The author speculates that Pope may not use him like that, and for most games I agree, I think Pope will use him as a stretch 4/5. However, if we’re playing a team with weak interior D two things:

1) the staff and team will know about this weakness ahead of time since Pope actually scouts his opponents (or has someone on his staff scout them) and watches/discusses film with the team.
2) Pope will switch his offense to maximize his players’ and team’s strengths and to exploit the opposing team’s weaknesses.

Carr is huge get and his ability the stretch the floor or post up will make him a match-up nightmare for most defenses. If we get some more big names we could come in the season ranked top 5 and very easily be one of the top offensive teams in the nation.

I really want 3 out of 4 of:
Davis
Brea
Mahaney
Smith

Definitely wishful thinking but with 2-3 out of those 4 I do think everything I mentioned before will come to be.

From the article:

"He was more valuable to Wake on the defensive end of the court than offensively. It's not that he was a poor offensive player. He was just better defensively. He's a good rim protector. It's not like he's going to be up there swatting balls off the backboard but he'll wind up with some good fundamental blocks. He'll move his feet well."

This is the part that stood out to me while watching him. He plays the post straight up without his arms coming down towards the offensive player.
Much better than the lazy goofs we had under the basket last season. Z, Bradshaw, Ugo. Some of THE laziest defenders I've ever witnessed at UK.

Much better than the lazy goofs we had under the basket last season. Z, Bradshaw, Ugo. Some of THE laziest defenders I've ever witnessed at UK.
Not just last year, but under Cal in general. We all know that Cal wanted a shot blocking center that the perimeter defenders could funnel their man to, but I can't recall a single post player under Cal who could play straight up, one on one defense, and get blocks with positioning instead of relying on pure athleticism or size.

Not just last year, but under Cal in general. We all know that Cal wanted a shot blocking center that the perimeter defenders could funnel their man to, but I can't recall a single post player under Cal who could play straight up, one on one defense, and get blocks with positioning instead of relying on pure athleticism or size.
Wcs was one of the best post defenders I've ever seen. He was always straight up and never brought his arms down.

In the games I saw, by the time an opponent had the ball near the post, BYU would double team the ball. Shot blocking was a group effort.

Never been a fan of one-and-doner’s. Neither Calipari’s type nor the transfer portal version. Doesn’t work for me. Reasonable minds can differ.

In the games I saw, by the time an opponent had the ball near the post, BYU would double team the ball. Shot blocking was a group effort.
They , BYU, doubled team players like Pitinos 96 team but with less foot speed.

Thanks for posting that. I think the insider is wrong when he says there isn't a place for post-up possessions in Pope's offense. Traore was the second leading scorer for BYU last year and it was almost exclusively off post-ups. When you have 4 or 5 shooters on the floor, you can absolutely get buckets in the post because no one is going to be comfortable sagging off their man on the perimeter.

Never been a fan of one-and-doner’s. Neither Calipari’s type nor the transfer portal version. Doesn’t work for me. Reasonable minds can differ.
I think the key to the portal era is getting transfers who have proven they can play at a college level, who have at least 2 years of eligibility remaining. I think, for one, they're probably slightly less likely to transfer again (and if any rule changes are coming, it seems like sitting out a year for repeat transfers is one of them). Two-- you get some continuity on your team in that way. Three-- you're guaranteed to have an older squad. But I understand that this season we're loading up on the best we can get because we need(ed) to fill every spot on the roster.

Reactions: G-PIP
I think less lazy and more poorly coached. Ugo went after EVERYTHING off-ball, and had some nights with high block totals because of it. But how many offensive rebounds did he give up as a result? Bradshaw was active, he just wasn't ready. Z had good hands but wasn't there physically or mentally. I think if Kenny Payne had still been on the staff we would've seen a much better season from those three.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Their win against Kansas (at Phog Allen Fieldhouse) is a great example. They were really physical with Dickinson, despite giving up a lot of size, and threw doubles at him basically every paint touch. He went to the line a lot (and there were some questionable whistles), but it worked out for BYU because HD had a Shaq-like night from the line. Basically an unintentional Hack-a-Dickinson, I think he was 6/15 fts.

Defense and Physicality is what we haven't had with Cal, Looks like a more physical brand of basketball with Coach Pope, Can't wait to see it

I think less lazy and more poorly coached. Ugo went after EVERYTHING off-ball, and had some nights with high block totals because of it. But how many offensive rebounds did he give up as a result? Bradshaw was active, he just wasn't ready. Z had good hands but wasn't there physically or mentally. I think if Kenny Payne had still been on the staff we would've seen a much better season from those three.
I say lazy because I'm confident they were told to keep their hands up on defense, and stop biting on every pump. They were likely told this hundreds of times in high school. Poorly coached in that they weren't yanked for refusing to do as they were told, and replaced by someone 6'5 in order to send a message and for e teammates to hold them accountable.

They were probably the worst collection of defensive centers I've seen on a UK team. Marcus Lee would have started every game over those 3
Our team last year had the largest number of 5-star below average performers I have ever seen on a team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT