ADVERTISEMENT

Swindle

zannmann

All-American
Feb 17, 2006
Do we not have anyone who can take this kid's spot? He gets more penalties than anyone I can ever remember.

He is a good SEC OT. It is a very tough position to play and why the LT in the NFL is so highly paid. Your OT is going to get beat occasionally in the SEC. That is a fact.

Reactions: DY9ASTY
You want to replace probably the best UK offensive lineman. Smart really smart. What I really wish is that he had another year of eligibility. Replacing Swindle and West on the left side of the UK OL will not be easy next year.

West had a bad penalty last night. But, I am loving watching him play. This is the healthiest he has been in years. So glad he is helping to anchor that side of the ball.

Look at our rushing yards last night. That just does not happen without guys battling in the trenches.

It is not the penalties that bothered me it was the lack of pass protection. I know the OL won't win every battle, but Jordan doesn't really have the feet to be a LT.

Reactions: Bigbluediddy63
Do we not have anyone who can take this kid's spot? He gets more penalties than anyone I can ever remember.
Swindle is a better player than he was a year ago. He isn't 1 of the top tackles in the SEC, but he is improving. The illegal procedure penalties are a problem. People forget that Swindle didn't receive a redshirt year. Losing that year hurt him. Swindle still has inconsistent footwork, plus he is a little bit slower and less athletic than you ideally like in a left tackle. So he sometimes loses concentration and tries to anticipate. We will probably see more of these penalty problems when Swindle faces the top SEC pass rushers. He is a decent player but he still has stuff to clean up. And, no, there isn't a better left tackle on our team, or else our coaches would play him. Next year, Tate Leavitt will get the job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brock28
It is not the penalties that bothered me it was the lack of pass protection. I know the OL won't win every battle, but Jordan doesn't really have the feet to be a LT.

This. That sack/interception at the beginning of the game was due to him getting whipped badly. I noted that they started using that split back set, one of the backs or a flexed TE on that side started helping out. That's one of the reasons our passing game slowed down. One less eligible receiver.

On the flip side I see NFL tackles getting whipped ever Sunday. You aren't always going to win your matchup as a lineman, sometimes the D-lineman wins.

Reactions: Bigbluediddy63
I'm not going to bash one of our players. Linemen in the SEC are going to get beat. And get penalties. All I know is the line played well enough to get a road win in a tough environment.

Reactions: DaytonKat
Swindle isn't all SEC..but who else are we going to run out there? GAA had his problems, Meadows first game back due to migraines....there literally are no other OT that can play which is why Krok leaving is a big hole we needed Leavitt to fill.

You get beat, you grab a jersey. If they call it, which they don't always do, you get the down over. If a man runs at your qb unblocked, he is going to cause trouble.

He got beat alot last night, I think that factored into the coaches decision to be conservative in the second half, fear of the pass rush.

You can say what you want. But he struggles against speed rushers. Directly responsible for the INT and at least one sack.

The problem was Schwindle getting beat at crucial times. He got beat when Towles was in the end zone which caused Towles to throw the pick. Then on a crucial 3rd down late in the game he got beat again.

Overall, he wasn't terrible but his mistakes sure stuck out. The line is light years better than last year and Schwidle is a much better player than last year as well.

This. That sack/interception at the beginning of the game was due to him getting whipped badly...

I would argue the pass interception by Towles leading to the 1 yard gift TD drive should be laid squarely at the feet of Dorian Baker. He's open by at least 5 yards on our first play from scrimmage from our 2 yard line and easily would have gained 15 yards if not much, much more. Towles hits him squarely in the numbers and he's so open he's running before he catches it. A short run later on second down then brings us to 3rd and long in the shadows of our goal line and SC did what was expected in bringing a lot of pressure.

Yeah - the first down drop set all that up.

And those complaining about the offensive play calling in the second half need to look no further than execution. Our first three drives of the second half began with a 10 yard holding penalty, a 10 yard holding penalty and a fumble lost yardage play. You simply can't get behind the sticks like that and expect to have success. Fortunately our D was holding the gamecocks to 3 points instead of TD's or we'd really justifiably be singing the blues today.

Unfortunately we went three and out four consecutive times to start the second half. That's not good and has a negative impact on our defense. The OL needs to clean up their mistakes and the coaches need to keep somebody back to help Swindle when he needs it.

That holding call was a bullshick call. He has improved greatly from last year. Poor offensive linemen, you never hear a word about them until they get tagged for a penalty.

Evidently we do not or the coaching staff would have him in lineup. Swindle's problem is he's a little over anxious. I don't watch the line play all that much but the coaches grade every play, so he must be doing a lot of things right. I'm sure he is working hard to correct this problem.

The offensive line opened several holes for the running backs as they had an excellent game running the ball. Go Cats

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT