ADVERTISEMENT

SUNSHINE PUMPERS ONLY THREAD

Lamp Reaction GIF

So, the Cal haters can spot a sunshine pumper a mile away. I'm sure I fit into that group according to some. I don't speak with enough anger and vitriol when his name comes up and I don't spit after I say his name or break into uncontrollable Tourette's profanities. Those who have grown to dislike (hate?) the man are very obvious. And those who praise his name or bow when it is spoken while proclaiming him the best coach in the history of the program are obvious as well.

So, here's my thought- can we avoid the extremes and try to be level-headed about it? Calipari isn't leaving this year. I think that is clear. Unless he decides to leave, he's gonna be here. So, my thought is that the reasonable approach, unless you plan to stop supporting UK, is to hope for the best for him. Criticize him, of course, when he should be criticized. The poor defense of this current team is an example. There is no reason this team, with the talent and athleticism they have, hasn't learned to defend better. I would even suggest (this has been a pet peeve of mine in recent games) that his substitution patterns are iffy and should be scrutinized. I've said it aloud during the last 2 games- he has too many options and too many players and he's too worried about getting everyone minutes instead of winning the game. I would say to get guys in the game and keep playing the guys who are getting it done. That may change from game to game. I get frustrated with him, because like many of you I am a huge UK fan all my life and I care about every detail. But here's the thing- I want him to do well. I want him to succeed. Because when he wins, UK wins. So, when credit is due, give credit. When the team wins, be happy. I know, it's a crazy thought!
What a creep you are for mentioning Tourette syndrom. You are some kind of person.

Well, no matter where you stand on this team's potential questions will be answered during the month of February. It will be tough.

What a creep you are for mentioning Tourette syndrom. You are some kind of person.
Yep my dad has had Tourette's for his entire life, and he suffers tremendously daily. But he doesn't curse at all. This joker is an idiot for using that disability to make some sort of hyperbolic joke.

Reactions: jeffky
The most annoying thing is when posters suggest they know more about coaching than Cal. Love him or hate him, John Calipari has spent decades coaching basketball at the highest level. If anyone here knew more about basketball than Cal, I would have heard of you

Just because someone decided not to get into coaching doesn’t mean they don’t know anything about basketball, lol. Some people may know a ton about basketball, but decided they wanted to be an electrician or whatever.

But since you said that, you aren’t ever allowed to criticize anything in any sport. You set your standard.

Yep my dad has had Tourette's for his entire life, and he suffers tremendously daily. But he doesn't curse at all. This joker is an idiot for using that disability to make some sort of hyperbolic joke.
I've only known of two people (one I worked with) that had Tourette's. One was a guy we saw in a restaurant in Gatlinburg back in the late 1980's, he did curse. The other person was a girl I worked with who had a form where she would very routinely hiccup/yell.

Just because someone decided not to get into coaching doesn’t mean they don’t know anything about basketball, lol. Some people may know a ton about basketball, but decided they wanted to be an electrician or whatever.

But since you said that, you aren’t ever allowed to criticize anything in any sport. You set your standard.
Good point but I think he was saying those that think they know more than cal. I would hope any coach that coaches for a living knows more than those of us who don’t. I coached at a very young age but as you eluded too I chose a different route. I, as well as others many others still know the game very well. Calling cal an idiot because he plays certain lineups, or doesn’t play certain lineups, or does this or doesn’t do that isn’t suggesting we know more than, rather an observation about that particular area of coaching being discussed. Some posters however can’t stand any criticism of cal and project unfairly onto anyone who dare say anything negative about him.

Does anyone remember the bizarre poster that referred to Coach G as "the warrior" or some cult like nonsense?

We need that with calipari. It will signal end times for his tenure.

This thread just made me think of that ultimate sunshine pumper, although pretty sure it was trolling.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
So, the Cal haters can spot a sunshine pumper a mile away. I'm sure I fit into that group according to some. I don't speak with enough anger and vitriol when his name comes up and I don't spit after I say his name or break into uncontrollable Tourette's profanities. Those who have grown to dislike (hate?) the man are very obvious. And those who praise his name or bow when it is spoken while proclaiming him the best coach in the history of the program are obvious as well.

So, here's my thought- can we avoid the extremes and try to be level-headed about it? Calipari isn't leaving this year. I think that is clear. Unless he decides to leave, he's gonna be here. So, my thought is that the reasonable approach, unless you plan to stop supporting UK, is to hope for the best for him. Criticize him, of course, when he should be criticized. The poor defense of this current team is an example. There is no reason this team, with the talent and athleticism they have, hasn't learned to defend better. I would even suggest (this has been a pet peeve of mine in recent games) that his substitution patterns are iffy and should be scrutinized. I've said it aloud during the last 2 games- he has too many options and too many players and he's too worried about getting everyone minutes instead of winning the game. I would say to get guys in the game and keep playing the guys who are getting it done. That may change from game to game. I get frustrated with him, because like many of you I am a huge UK fan all my life and I care about every detail. But here's the thing- I want him to do well. I want him to succeed. Because when he wins, UK wins. So, when credit is due, give credit. When the team wins, be happy. I know, it's a crazy thought!
Don’t you know the is Merica! We have to pick a side. Left or right, Dem or Rep, Cardinals or Braves! We don’t have no stinking middle ground!

Does anyone remember the bizarre poster that referred to Coach G as "the warrior" or some cult like nonsense?

This thread just made me think of that ultimate sunshine pumper, although pretty sure it was trolling.
Oh man, I do, kinda. That was in my drinking days, but def remember a poster always calling him "warrior". Lol!!

Only OG’s will remember but yeah that was weird. There was also the guy who went up to ramel Bradley in public and tried to coach him on how to shoot free throws. Came back here and bragged about it.

The all time cringe winner goes to the North Carolina fan on the national board that tried to pass off the famous Instagram model as his girlfriend. That dude ate shit hard. I don’t think there’s any coming back from what he did

Sorry to offend you so. That wasn't my intent. My reference is that those who have Tourette's are usually triggered by something and then can't control the response. Some seem to have that issue with the name of the head coach of UK. I think the parallel is pretty clear Mike.

Sorry to offend you so. That wasn't my intent. My reference is that those who have Tourette's are usually triggered by something and then can't control the response. Some seem to have that issue with the name of the head coach of UK. I think the parallel is pretty clear Mike.
Thanks for the acknowledgement. I realize you probably didn't know. I take back what I said about you being an idiot. My dad's Tourette's is involuntary muscle spasms throughout his entire body pretty much 24 hours a day for his whole life. He says the only time he gets any relief is when he would play sports.

Thanks for the acknowledgement. I realize you probably didn't know. I take back what I said about you being an idiot. My dad's Tourette's is involuntary muscle spasms throughout his entire body pretty much 24 hours a day for his whole life. He says the only time he gets any relief is when he would play sports.
Well, I pray that your dad gets some relief man. That sounds awful. I should pay closer attention to my comments. Sorry to be insensitive. Thanks for the kind reply.

He didn't say that people don't know anything. He said that they don't know more than Cal. Which is accurate.

He didn't say that people don't know anything. He said that they don't know more than Cal. Which is accurate.
Either Cal is a liar.....or I know more about basketball than he does.
Cal has stated numerous times he doesn't know how to teach a zone defense.

I do. I could install a killer zone for this team in one practice session.

And they would be great at it.

Either Cal is a liar.....or I know more about basketball than he does.
Cal has stated numerous times he doesn't know how to teach a zone defense.

I do. I could install a killer zone for this team in one practice session.

And they would be great at it.
Show me where Cal said he doesn't know how to teach zone.

Cal just doesn't like zone because by default they all have weaknesses that are exploitable and put you at a disadvantage rebounding. When you have the best players you play man.

Show me where Cal said he doesn't know how to teach zone.

Cal just doesn't like zone because by default they all have weaknesses that are exploitable and put you at a disadvantage rebounding. When you have the best players you play man.
Cal has said the reason he doesn't play zone is because he doesn't know how to teach a zone defense.

Look it up for yourself. Not that hard to find.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT