ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops has done a GREAT job building this program

But he has taken it as far as he can. he is not a good game manager and just can't get out of his bend don't break defense. Just to conservative and passive.
Our problem is we can’t put a good game together. Tonight the offense was really good and not conservative at all. But the d sucked. We lost the game at the line of scrimmage. We have routinely had a very highly ranked defense but could not put up enough points. It’s hard to build a program. But if you think firing everyone is the answer then heaven help ya.

Stoops is the 8th highest paid coach in the country at 9.01 million. I've given him quite a bit of a pass the last few years. It's Kentucky Football. There are certain realities that go into it.

Stoops is the best modern day coach we've had. And he's willing to commit here long term. There isn't a list of elite coaches just dying to come coach at the University of Kentucky.

There's probably a ceiling to how far someone can take the program. Could we catch lightning in a bottle and run all the way to the national title game? Sure. Are we going to consistently be that? I don't believe so.

All of that being said, I expect better than what we've seen. UT thumped us last year. We lost to Vanderbilt at home last year.

We no-showed the Georgia game. We started the Mizzou game awesome--and then melted down for 3 quarters. We lost yet another game to UT today because our defense--which has been our calling card under Stoops--couldn't tackle.

You had the bye week to get things right. I get that the offense had the issues--but you can't come out of a bye with your defense not tackling. Inexcusable. It's a lack of discipline--which has been an issue all year. I don't think UT has a significant talent edge over us. I'm not sure they have any talent edge over us. We lost this because of discipline.

And then there's the very real issue of what are our goals? Stoops at one point said we're going to compete for SEC Championships. We're competing for Music City Bowls. I'm not going to demand national championships.

But maybe it's fair to ask that we don't get destroyed by Georgia, get embarrassed by Missou, and then forget how to tackle vs UT (at home) all in a span of 3 games.

I know Jeff Brohm well, I worked with him, he will take U of L to a very high level. Most competitive person I've been around.
As if every high level college-football coach isn't competitive as anyone else you've probably ever been around. These guys are elite, which is why there are only about 65 in the world and why they make about 5 million a year on average.

Reactions: grevey35
As if every high level college-football coach isn't competitive as anyone else you've probably ever been around. These guys are elite, which is why there are only about 65 in the world and why they make about 5 million a year on average.
They are all competitive, but some have enough balls to make tough, sound decisions that are right more often than not. And they will cut your throat at the drop of a hat. Not sure Stoops is that guy.

Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
They are all competitive, but some have enough balls to make tough, sound decisions that are right more often than not. And they will cut your throat at the drop of a hat. Not sure Stoops is that guy.
So, is Pitt's coach "that guy"?????

Reactions: Samurai Cat
Stoops is washed and I hate how people put Cal on the hot seat but let’s be honest Cal has done more for Kentucky than Stoops. Cal puts UK in a position to compete each season, we can’t say the same about Mark
But who could we get to replace him? Stoops May be the best Kentucky can get. 🤷🏻‍♂️

But who could we get to replace him? Stoops May be the best Kentucky can get. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I’m so tired of hearing this crap!!! UK has great facilities, a rabid fan base, the money for one of the best salary’s in CFB. The program has come a long way and is ready for the next step. Why wouldn’t a better coach want to come here? Oh yeah, one more thing, we play in the best football conference in the country.

That defense is pathetic. How did we go from having a defense everyone respected to the worst we’ve had in a decade? The offense actually came to play tonight and the defense forced 1 punt and zero turnovers and gave up like 8 yards a carry. Pathetic

Lots of UT fans laughing at us that stoops makes more than heupal
Stoops should have made Dean Hood the DC when House left. Never been impressed with our current DC.

• Love
Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
lol, this thread. If you want a better football program, start donating to NIL.

We’ve cheated in basketball since Rupp. That’s why we’ve been good. Other schools put all their $ in football over the years. That’s why they are good.

It’s no coincidence that are high point before stoops was in the 70’s when curci was cheating his a$$ off.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
With the facilities and pay scale UK is no longer a bottom feeder in those areas. The days of folding tables in the corner of a field house for recruiting and labor camp-type budget for coaching staff seems to be in the past.

I would think those two corrections would kill the Stoops is the best we can get thinking.

At $9m per year, there are a ton of options to upgrade the head coach. I like our assistants, all are top notch in my opinion. Stoops can say he doesn’t interfere with the play calling etc, all he wants but you can clearly see when one thing goes wrong he overreacts, panics, and we move to a conservative approach of playing. We have the talent now, however, missing a coach that knows what to do with it.

We’ve cheated in basketball since Rupp. That’s why we’ve been good. Other schools put all their $ in football over the years. That’s why they are good.

It’s no coincidence that are high point before stoops was in the 70’s when curci was cheating his a$$ off.
If you want better NIL involvement from fans, get them a coach they feel comfortable investing in. Stoops ain’t it!

What proof is there we have been cheating in basketball post Sutton?

We have sucked in football because we didn’t invest in coaches and facilities to keep up with the conference. We started doing so in 2013.

Reactions: Ugoff and K86
If you want better NIL involvement from fans, get them a coach they feel comfortable investing in. Stoops ain’t it!

What proof is there we have been cheating in basketball post Sutton?

We have sucked in football because we didn’t invest in coaches and facilities to keep up with the conference. We started doing so in 2013.

He has no proof. And as if every program in the sec in football, including uk, hasn't been paying for players for decades pre NIL.

I'm talking 100 handshakes and such, not mega stuff like NIL salaries. I'm sure uk basketball has had that but again, everyone does it.

The sad thing is we could have cheated big in football and still wouldn't have out cheated tn, Florida, Bama, etc.

Things won’t improve until recruiting improves. recruiting is a plain reflection of winning. when you recruit consistently in the bottom 3-4 in the sec, which uk historically has, you ain’t gonna win much. true not just in the sec but in all the major conferences. coaches don‘t pass, run, catch or play defense. uk will never compete in the sec as long as they recruit in the bottom tier of the sec, and it’s going to be even harder with tex and okla coming in. just a fact.

We are in a Rich Brooks Joker Phillips situation. Who do you pick come and move it forward. Because the next guy can make it all go away in a blink. As we are all aware.

Things won’t improve until recruiting improves. recruiting is a plain reflection of winning. when you recruit consistently in the bottom 3-4 in the sec, which uk historically has, you ain’t gonna win much. true not just in the sec but in all the major conferences. coaches don‘t pass, run, catch or play defense. uk will never compete in the sec as long as they recruit in the bottom tier of the sec, and it’s going to be even harder with tex and okla coming in. just a fact.
Last night and 30+ more losses over the years are a result of poor game management, decisions, and game planning. Recruiting has not been Stoops biggest issue, he can’t get out of his own way.

Not sure what the Pitt coach question is about. Narduzzi is a really good defensive coach, but Pitt is a middle of the pack team in a weak ACC.
That beat the vaunted Jeff Braum by 17.

The ACC and the SEC are not even close to comparable.

Reactions: rudd1
Our recruiting has been solid enough that we should be able to beat teams like Mizzou and UT this year, not get embarrassed by UGA, not getting all we can handle from EKU. Our player development is a bigger problem.

Last night and 30+ more losses over the years are a result of poor game management, decisions, and game planning. Recruiting has not been Stoops biggest issue, he can’t get out of his own way.
I don’t see how you can discount low level recruiting and blame everything on coaching.
I say recruiting is one of stoops’ biggest issues.
Go back just ten years and see where uk ranks in sec recruiting. even if you average in last years top five class we probably still wind up in the bottom four. recruiting is a huge issue on any team. i’m neither hot or cold on stoops. i will say i don’t understand his huge salary when looking at similarly paid coaches who have actually won something.

I don’t see how you can discount low level recruiting and blame everything on coaching.
Go back just ten years and see where uk ranks in sec recruiting. even if you average in last years top five class we probably still wind up in the bottom four. recruiting is a huge issue on any team. i’m neither hot or cold on stoops. i will say i don’t understand his huge salary when looking at similarly paid coaches who have actually won something.

To be at the top of the heap, absolutely agree. To be 2nd in the east.. we have and have had the talent to do it but piss it away most every year. Had he got ejected last night, we most likely win that game.

Reactions: catben
His offensively philosophy is just killing this program from moving forward.

Him and Kirby have the same offensive philosophy. Both would light up a huge Cuban and split a bottle of burboun after a 3-0 win. Kirby happened to sign an old OC who told him to gtf out of the way. Bobo is long time friend that can tell him the same thing. But it wasn't easy. Plus he recruits better, or did until NIL.

Troll.

Reactions: Ugoff and gojvc
I’m so tired of hearing this crap!!! UK has great facilities, a rabid fan base, the money for one of the best salary’s in CFB. The program has come a long way and is ready for the next step. Why wouldn’t a better coach want to come here? Oh yeah, one more thing, we play in the best football conference in the country.
Where do you honestly believe UK to rank in terms of rabid fan bases in SEC Football?

Reactions: gojvc

Perhaps the thinking was he could be tempted to move to a situation where it is easier to recruit and win with the money still being as good or at least close. That may be reality if we wish to keep a successful coach.

Perhaps the thinking was he could be tempted to move to a situation where it is easier to recruit and win with the money still being as good or at least close. That may be reality if we wish to keep a successful coach.
If football fans are satisfied with his level of success then goal achieved.

If football fans are satisfied with his level of success then goal achieved.
It is not so much being satisfied as it is recognizing it has been a very good period in our history. You are also operating under the assumption that Stoops can do no better and it is somehow likely we land someone who will.

Reactions: gojvc and blubo
It is not so much being satisfied as it is recognizing it has been a very good period in our history. You are also operating under the assumption that Stoops can do no better and it is somehow likely we land someone who will.
I am one that thinks that is entirely possible.

I don’t think he can do much better in the sec than where he’s at now, with the present level of recruiting. if he or those around him can find a way to recruit toward the top half of the conference i think he can do a hell of a lot better.
And i don’t think if we bring in someone else to replace stoops that they will do any better unless they bring with them some means of greatly improving recruiting.

I don’t think he can do much better in the sec than where he’s at now, with the present level of recruiting. if he or those around him can find a way to recruit toward the top half of the conference i think he can do a hell of a lot better.
And i don’t think if we bring in someone else to replace stoops that they will do any better unless they bring with them some means of greatly improving recruiting.
You do realize any other coach would also being moving to a state with an extreme lack of high D! talent? Ohio has helped considerably but you really have to be able to steal from the home states of your competition in this league to catch up. This is obviously not easy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT