ADVERTISEMENT

Stones new song

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
I'm a huge Stones fan but the last 20+ years they haven't done much except put out mediocre product and tour with a setlist that probably averages 40+ year old songs.

I actually really like 'Angry' and pretty much every preview of the upcoming CD has been very favorable. For the first time since Tattoo You, I may actually purchase a Stones new release.

They are evidently too old to make a music video (or too wise), so the label put Ms. Sweeney in a hot outfit in the back of a convertible and drove her around town.

They are evidently too old to make a music video (or too wise), so the label put Ms. Sweeney in a hot outfit in the back of a convertible and drove her around town.
Not that there's anything wrong with that, right?

The video was pretty clever the way it mixes in old footage that seems like the earlier versions of the Stones are playing "Angry". And Ms. Sweeney can visit me anytime she'd like.

I'm a huge Stones fan but the last 20+ years they haven't done much except put out mediocre product and tour with a setlist that probably averages 40+ year old songs.

I actually really like 'Angry' and pretty much every preview of the upcoming CD has been very favorable. For the first time since Tattoo You, I may actually purchase a Stones new release.
One review of Angry said that it's their best record since Some Girls. I think that honor should go to their album of blues covers. That one sounded as natural as breathing. I like Angry a lot, but it sounds like something that they didn't release on A Bigger Bang.

Reactions: christophero
I read that Paul McCartney plays bass on one of the songs. The interviewer asked Mick if he realized what a big deal that was and Mick just acted like it was old friends jamming.

Charlie Watts gonna be hard to replace.

"Angry" is OK... but as a lifelong fan and musician... something is missing. Charlie had these "quirks"... he'd lay out at odd times, etc... that absolutely MADE the songs.

Not to hijack... but case in point: Wild Horses- how does he stop @ around 3:00... at the high point of the song?

Pure genius.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan

"Angry" is OK... but as a lifelong fan and musician... something is missing. Charlie had these "quirks"... he'd lay out at odd times, etc... that absolutely MADE the songs.

Not to hijack... but case in point: Wild Horses- how does he stop @ around 3:00... at the high point of the song?

Pure genius.

I don't know - is "Angry" not one of the songs Charlie is playing the drums? He was so underrated by so many people. His musical relationship with Keith was supernatural. On their best tracks, Charlie admitted that he took his cues from Keith (rather than the normal other way around) and, as a result, the drums were always just a split second off the downbeat, which results in a tension within the song that gives it that extra bit of drive. Always very subtle with his fills and even the cleanliness of his basic beats (many times wouldn't hit the hi-hat at the same time as the snare so the snare was that much clearer). Never overplayed and his parts were always geared to complimenting and enhancing the song. His kit was among the smallest of any touring band and, yet, his drumming always was more than sufficient to drive the engine of many Stones classic songs. He will definitely be missed.

Still, "Angry", imo, is >> pretty much every single the Stones have produced for 20+ years with or without Charlie.

Reactions: WTF Cat
On their best tracks, Charlie admitted that he took his cues from Keith (rather than the normal other way around) and, as a result, the drums were always just a split second off the downbeat, which results in a tension within the song that gives it that extra bit of drive.
This is the secret.

Reactions: gamecockcat
Not that there's anything wrong with that, right?

The video was pretty clever the way it mixes in old footage that seems like the earlier versions of the Stones are playing "Angry". And Ms. Sweeney can visit me anytime she'd like.
Yes Yes Yes GIF

Decent song but has a pop vibe. The guitar jam in the middle is my favorite part. IMO, their best album in the last 20 years was "Shine a Light", the Scorsese filmed concert soundtrack from 2006.

Last edited:
Reactions: WTF Cat
Decent song but has a pop vibe. The guitar jam in the middle is my favorite part. IMO, their best album in the last 20 year was "Shine a Light", the Scorsese filmed concert soundtrack.
I still watch this occasionally... has the energy, and a few great versions of a few of my fav songs (Some Girls, Just My Imagination).

Reactions: DSmith21

Pure genius.

Decent song but has a pop vibe. The guitar jam in the middle is my favorite part. IMO, their best album in the last 20 years was "Shine a Light", the Scorsese filmed concert soundtrack from 2006.

Agreed, but if you really delve into their top 50 songs or so, there's a pop vibe in a lot of them, imo. Certainly closer to a modern sound (from what I read, their new producer was the driving force behind that) but, for my taste, has enough of the essential elements to still be pretty good. It's not one of their all-time classics, obviously, but far better than much of what they've created this century. Plus, it seems like the vocals and music have a touch more emotion and energy than most of the stuff off their more recent CDs. Just my $0.02, of course. My version of heaven would be the '72 Stones as the house band so that should tell you something.

The song is OK, better.than their worst, less than their best.

I would love to see Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones make a run at new music and see what would come out of that.

I have stated.before that if after the O2 show in 2007, given that Robert wanted no more to do with it, that if Page, Jones, Jason Bonham had teamed up with Ann and Nancy Wilson they would have sold out arenas around the globe. Heart girls have always been huge Zep fans and Ann has pipes to carry the catalog.

I give The Stones a lot of credit for wanting to still create and release new music in this environment.

All Down the Line one of my favorites by Stones, not one that a lot of fans would think of first by the band, but a great song
Also one of mine. Interesting tidbit about the song: Keith's guitar is out of tune on the opening riff, giving it a unique sound. No way a producer nowadays would let that go. Perfection is the enemy of great, or something like that.

Here is a very positive review of the new album. Says "Angry" is one of the weaker tracks. I am looking forward to hearing the rest.

Last edited:
I've heard the one with Lady Gaga and Stevie Wonder - pretty darn good track. Just feels like the Stones were doing something more than fulfilling an obligation and really tried hard to put together a strong group of songs. It shows.

Here is a very positive review of the new album. Says "Angry" is one of the weaker tracks. I am looking forward to hearing the rest.

I like Angry so if it is one of the weaker tracks I can't wait to hear the rest.

I'd take this review with a grain of salt because basically every Stones album over the last 35 years was initially reviewed as "their best work since....". Having said that, it's great they are still making new music. Too many of the classic artists gave that up long ago.

Thought the Lady Gaga section was forced into the song and not needed. It does not sound like the same production even.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT