ADVERTISEMENT

Status of UK's 2023 football team

Rembrandt90

Senior
Jun 25, 2018
We are less than a week from our opener, and instate newspapers are posting their season previews. Here are some thoughts. Please join in.

QB- I will predict improvement, because Levis was injured last season. Leary can't run with the football like Levis and hopefully won't try. But public statements indicate our team has confidence in Leary's leadership. After watching video of Leary's performances at NC State, I know he is a quick, accurate passer. Leary's UK receivers are the best he has ever worked with. If he stays healthy, I could foresee >3,000 passing yards with Coach Coen calling plays. But if Leary can't stay healthy (the nightmare scenario for every UK fan this year), we can at least guarantee our reserve QBs will be more experienced than last year.

RB- Ray Davis is one of only four returning 1,000 yard SEC rushers. Ramon Jefferson is a former FCS All American. Jutahn McClain is not popular on this board but is a better player than he gets credit for. DSK played with Leary at NC State and adds versatility. LaVell Wright is young but has the right combination of size and athleticism. Jamarion Wilcox was a 2,000+ rusher last year at S Paulding hs. This is a deep, talented room, and I predict no falloff in 2023.

TE- All of our key TEs are back. Khamari Anderson has been added. Izayah Cummings hardly got onto the field last year but will be utilized more intelligently by Coach Coen. The position will be improved.

WR- All of our key WRs are back, this time with Coen calling plays. So it will be an improved room. Dane Key and Barion Brown will become stars, and Anthony Brown may too. Tayvion Robinson got banged up last year, but is ready to play for Coen. Shamar Porter and fellow freshman Ardell Banks are probably underrated IMO. This is a make or break year for Dekel Crowdus.

OT- On the left side, praise for Marques Cox has been nonstop. I believe Cox will deliver an improved performance compared to our situation last year and might get drafted. On the right side, Courtland Ford and a more experienced Jeremy Flax are bound to play better than Flax did last year. This is a position I still worry about, because Ford has been dinged up in camp and Flax has historically had trouble blocking speed rushers. The loser of the Ford-Flax competition is the only experienced OT depth, but incoming transfer Dylan Ray is generating buzz in camp. So I believe our OTs will be improved, but will be watching to see how much improvement there is.

OG- On the left side, Kenneth Horsey is back to his familiar position, and could be one of the SEC's best. Eli Cox has moved back to RG. Tashawn Manning has graduated. Conventional wisdom says Cox is at least an adequate replacement for Manning. I will be watching that position. The backups are Paul Rodriguez plus incoming transfers Tanner Bowles and Ben Christman. So, on paper, depth is improved. Christman was highly recruited out of Revere hs and looks like a future starter.

C- I am a believer in Jager Burton, a former headliner recruit with a big offer sheet. Burton added muscle over the offseason. Backing up Burton are Bowles and freshman Koby Kernum. I believe this position will be improved.

NT- In the biggest transfer blow of the offseason, we lost Justin Rogers. Josaih Hayes is capable of a bigger contribution than he has given to date. Hayes was formerly a headliner recruit with a stellar offer sheet. That is one of the biggest issues to keep an eye on. Backup Jamarius Dinkins had a breakout 2022 season but is undersized at 280#. Incoming transfer Keeshawn Silver stirred fan interest because of his former star rating but is still out of shape. This is Hayes' job to lose. With more quality depth this time, the combined performance of these big guys should be solid, but maybe not quite as stout as last year.

DT- Deone Walker may be the best player on the entire team and might be an All American. His backup Octavious Oxendine has been a contributor during his career, but can play better. True freshman Kendrick Gilbert may win some snaps. Believe it or not, this position will be improved.

DE- TreVonn Rybka and Khalil Saunders are back, and bound to be improved with the benefit of more experience. There has been scuttlebutt that Saunders is one of the most improved players on the team.

Jack LB- This position made Josh Allen an All American. JJ Weaver put on additional muscle during the offseason and has a chance to become one of Stoops' best at the position. The only question about Weaver is whether he can stay healthy. Backing him up are Keaton Wade and Tyreese Fearbry, both similarly long and athletic. This could be a breakout season for Wade. As good as Jordan Wright was in 2022, the Jack position may actually be improved if Weaver can avoid nagging injuries.

Mike LB- Jaquez Jones is replaced by his understudy, D'Eryk Jackson. Jackson is stout in the rush defense. But in pass defense, Jones won several games with key interceptions. That is not Jackson's strong suit. OTOH, Jackson is a big, strong interior defender, difficult to block. He is backed up by Luke Fulton, an unproven player. It is possible that true freshman Jayvant Brown could get some snaps.

Will LB- DeAndre Square was one of the best LBs of the Stoops era. His former understudy Trevin Wallace is bigger, stronger, and just as athletic. Wallace has a chance to become one of the best players on this team. He is backed up by undersized transfer Daveren Rayner, unproven at the Power 5 level. Martez Thrower is the third Will LB.

CB- Replacing Carrington Valentine and Keidron Smith presents one of the team's biggest challenges. I have no doubts about Andru Phillips, a tough, agile corner defender. But Max Hairston is a question mark. No question about Hairston's size and athleticism, but he is green. Until he proves himself in games, opposing QBs will pick on him. The depth is talented but largely unproven. JQ Hardaway transferred in from UC and Jantzen Dunn from OH St. Both were heavily recruited out of hs but neither has proven himself in Power 5 yet. So if forced to name one position for preseason apprehension, I will go with CB even though all these guys have high upsides.

Nickel- Currently, Jalen Geiger is backed up by Alex Afari. Both are experienced, talented players. So the position is likely to be improved. Afari, a physical specimen, will play a lot because Geiger is also our third S.

S- The starters will probably be Jordan Lovett and Zion Childress, both of whom started in 2022. As indicated above, Geiger is another experienced S. It's possible Geiger could start some games at S instead of nickel. After these three guys, there is no experienced depth although true freshman Ty Bryant has been one of the biggest stories of preseason camp.

Special teams- Aside from a couple of impressive kickoff returns by Barion Brown, UK had the worst special teams I have ever seen last year. I don't say that lightly either. Multiple snaps were flubbed by our long snappers, which cost us a game or two. Blocking upfront was poor, resulting in multiple blocked kicks. Makeable FGs and PATs were blown. New Coach Jay Boulware was brought in, along with a list of incoming transfers. Alex Raynor is the new placekicker and Ronald Gaines is the new long snapper. Wilson Berry will retain the punting job and Chance Poore the kickoff duties. Barion Brown is back as our primary kickoff returner. Tayvion Robinson will return punts again. Our special teams will be improved. They couldn't possibly be worse.

Last year we finished 7-6. There is no question that our special teams blew our road game at Ole Miss. We should have won that game. We lost another two games in which starting QB Will Levis didn't play because of injuries and an opt-out in the bowl. We lost to an improving Vandy team in Lexington because we could not sustain drives or prevent sacks. We gave GA their toughest game of the entire season although we were unable to move the chains while the game was still winnable. What's done is done, but we all know we were only a handful of plays from being 9-4. Our coaching staff has done a terrific retooling job over the offseason. The remaining question marks are RT, NT, and CB, but things have been looking good in camp this month AFAICT. I can't predict injuries or mistakes, so I won't try to make a final prediction here about our 2023 record. All I know is that this is an obvious setup for a huge year-to-year improvement.

Last edited:
I think 8-4 is our ceiling. UGA, Bama and Tennessee are the three toughest and we will probably drop at USC.

UGA - Loss
Bama - Loss
UT - Possible win at home
USC - Loss
Miss. State- Possible loss on the road - 2017 was the most recent win in Starkville.

Reactions: warrior-cat
The ceiling is a dream season, akin to UT's last year (10-2ish). As long as Brad White is here, we have a high floor. We had one of the worst offenses in all of P5 last year, were terrible on special teams, and still got to 7 wins.

I believe the offense will be much improved, like most UK fans. In fact, it should be improved at every position but RB. Leary may not be a better player than Levis, but I expect more production from the QB position.

I think the biggest key to this season will be Stoops ability to coach in close games. We have a handful of potential toss-up games in big atmospheres. Potential shootouts, given our skill positions and the SEC's recent trend toward high-powered offenses. I know he has a good record in close games, but that is due in large part to his coaching style allowing potential blowout wins to stay or become close. In my opinion, he hasn't looked great in the last couple minutes of the second quarter, which can serve as an end-of-game simulation. Most importantly, he doesn't have a clock-eater like C-Rod or Snell in the backfield. He has relied heavily on those guys in late-game situations for the last 6 years or so. I'll be watching to see if he can adapt to win close games in different ways.

The ceiling is a dream season, akin to UT's last year (10-2ish). As long as Brad White is here, we have a high floor. We had one of the worst offenses in all of P5 last year, were terrible on special teams, and still got to 7 wins.

I believe the offense will be much improved, like most UK fans. In fact, it should be improved at every position but RB. Leary may not be a better player than Levis, but I expect more production from the QB position.

I think the biggest key to this season will be Stoops ability to coach in close games. We have a handful of potential toss-up games in big atmospheres. Potential shootouts, given our skill positions and the SEC's recent trend toward high-powered offenses. I know he has a good record in close games, but that is due in large part to his coaching style allowing potential blowout wins to stay or become close. In my opinion, he hasn't looked great in the last couple minutes of the second quarter, which can serve as an end-of-game simulation. Most importantly, he doesn't have a clock-eater like C-Rod or Snell in the backfield. He has relied heavily on those guys in late-game situations for the last 6 years or so. I'll be watching to see if he can adapt to win close games in different ways.

Ray Davis is a workhorse RB, and Ramon Jefferson is potentially another if he is 100% physically. There is a general fear that CRod is irreplaceable. But everyone felt the same way when Benny Snell left for the NFL draft. Surprisingly, it turned out that a component of Snell's success was due to the system at UK. I believe this current RB room is ideal for Coen, and I do not see a dropoff. In fact, I see more versatility.

There have been some games in which our teams have not closed out the 2nd quarter very well. In one case, I do remember questioning a late 2nd quarter coaching decision myself. But we as fans must be careful with this kind of thinking, because we have the benefit of 20-20 hindsight. The coach can only make a quick decision and live with the consequences. Every coach makes some decisions he would like to have back. But the main point here is that the coach can't run onto the field and execute for his players. Sometimes it is difficult for fans to differentiate between a poor coaching decision versus a courageous coaching decision that does not get executed well by the players in that moment. What I like about Stoops is that he never hides. He always takes the responsibility on himself, even when a play was not executed properly. He says everything is on the head coach's shoulders, and his players respect that. So do I. If there is one thing we can clearly see about Stoops, he is a smart, strategic, highly committed man. Coaching takes cajones, and every coach gets the chance to learn from decisions that don't turn out as expected. Stoops is successful for good reasons. It is no accident. I have no concerns about our head football coach.

Our regular season ceiling is 12 wins, and I don't type that out lightly. For the first time in the Stoops era, we will have a top defense paired with what should be a top offense. Stoops has never had an offense with the combination of talented weapons and OC that he does now.

We have the best WR room since Stevie got loose and an OC capable of compensating for injuries or personnel weaknesses (something we didn't have last year).

Georgia and Bama could wollop us, but we tend to play them well. Even titans fall, and we have the pieces to make em.

Ray Davis may be a workhorse RB, IDK. Only time will tell how well he can replace C-Rod. Looking deeper into analytics such as YAC, broken tackles, stuff rate, success rate, etc., C-Rod was about as good as it gets (best in the SEC by a wide margin in 2021). Snell was very good too, but C-Rod was almost unbelievable. Davis may do very well, and may even average more yards per carry (depending on OL improvement), but I don't expect him to replicate what C-Rod did specifically. Toughest UK RB I can remember.

I also have total faith in Stoops as the head of our program. But I do think he will have to adapt his strategy in close games, and how well he does that is a key to the season, IMO.

Ray Davis may be a workhorse RB, IDK. Only time will tell how well he can replace C-Rod. Looking deeper into analytics such as YAC, broken tackles, stuff rate, success rate, etc., C-Rod was about as good as it gets (best in the SEC by a wide margin in 2021). Snell was very good too, but C-Rod was almost unbelievable. Davis may do very well, and may even average more yards per carry (depending on OL improvement), but I don't expect him to replicate what C-Rod did specifically. Toughest UK RB I can remember.

I also have total faith in Stoops as the head of our program. But I do think he will have to adapt his strategy in close games, and how well he does that is a key to the season, IMO.
This post is the truth. I really like UK running back room and I believe as a group it will be very good BUT replacing what C-ROD was is not going to happen (although I hope it does). Almost leading the SEC in yac yards for 2 years is almost unheard of. I read a post somewhere that C-ROD converted more contested yards into significant gains than anyone else in like 25 years? Something like that? Anyway I do not want to argue about this years group of RB because I think they are very good. This is just an acknowledgement of how much I appreciated C-ROD!

I think 8-4 is our ceiling. UGA, Bama and Tennessee are the three toughest and we will probably drop at USC.

UGA - Loss
Bama - Loss
USC - Loss
Miss. State- Possible loss on the road - 2017 was the most recent win in Starkville.

Anything can happen, and I am not predicting it, but 12-0 is the ceiling. I also think the toughest matchup is the vols, Chumlee's offense is averaging nearly 45 in 2 meetings. That's just so out of line for a CMS led team.

I noticed in today's remarks by Stoops that they are still talking about the impression being made by incoming transfer Dylan Ray in camp. Ray has been getting practice reps at LT and OG. The depth chart lists him as the 2nd string LT understudying Marques Cox. Ray was a team captain at Noblesville (IN) hs, where he had a rep for being a fearless player with a high motor. He definitely has good size for a college offensive lineman, so I am not sure why he didn't receive scholarship offers. That's strange. But he ended up as a WO at WV and obviously didn't lose confidence in himself. Now he has transferred to UK and he is making his presence felt. At 6'6" 305#, this guy will see the field. He has 3 years of eligibility left and could turn out to be an incredible find.

Incoming transfer Ben Christman is now out for the 2023 season with a knee injury. I still think he is a future starter for us. This will create more playing opportunities for Tanner Bowles.

Looks like there has been a bit of late juggling with the 2nd string DL. Oxendine taking reps at DE, Saunders taking reps at DT. It's likely these guys will be utilized at multiple positions. Deone Walker is still the headline story for our DL, but a second big story is the ongoing battle for the starting NT job. That competition evidently isn't over.

Special teams- Aside from a couple of impressive kickoff returns by Barion Brown, UK had the worst special teams I have ever seen last year. I don't say that lightly either. Multiple snaps were flubbed by our long snappers, which cost us a game or two; .
[o]ur special teams will be improved. They couldn't possibly be worse.
An outstanding overview of the team, Rembrandt!

Your finest work, to date.

And rewatching two of our best wins of ‘22, it is a miracle the team survived the Keystone Cops-like, long-snap snafus at Florida and Mizzou.

How Billy Napier decided to go for it twice deep in his own territory in the 4th quarter, foregoing two opportunities to potentially make us long-snap to our punter . . . gives me all the confidence in our Coaching superiority in comparison to UF.

And we have hope for vast improvement on special teams.

Yes, there are a couple of positions without “proven quality,” but even those spots are covered by former highly-sought-after recruits.

How our world has changed!!

In Couch’s day, and during Brook’s run, we had a first string that could compete, when healthy, with most opponents.

Today, I think we have second-stringers on the D-line that could compete to start anywhere else in the nation.

The SEC is clearly the class of college football.

And Kentucky Football is clearly in the top third of that conference.

Let’s play ball!!

This is a position I still worry about, because Ford has been dinged up in camp and Flax has historically had trouble blocking speed rushers.
I think the best outcome here is that Flax actually wins the RT job and Ford rotates, becasue Ford can play either tackle spot whereas Flax, so far as I know, is mostly just RT
Nickel- Currently, Jalen Geiger is backed up by Alex Afari
I have not heard Geiger mentioned as a nickel, I understand that he's the 3rd safety and will rotate in both strong and free. Afari subs out for the SAM in the nickel package. Phillips also plays nickle and if they go dime Phillips replaces one D-lineman.

Last edited:
Reactions: The-Hack

UGA - Loss
Bama - Loss
USC - Loss
No way UK loses to USC this year. Mark it down.

Reactions: UKCatnNC and rye48
I think the best outcome here is that Flax actually wins the RT job and Ford rotates, becasue Ford can play either tackle spot whereas Flax, so far as I know, is mostly just RT

I have not heard Geiger mentioned as a nickel, I understand that he's the 3rd safety and will rotate in both strong and free. Afari subs out for the SAM in the nickel package. Phillips also plays nickle and if they go dime Phillips replaces one D-lineman.

Andru Phillips has won the starting job at field CB in camp. He played some snaps at nickel last year, but he is an outside defender this year. I don't think we will see Phillips back at nickel. My assessment is that Phillips is our best cover CB, although we are mainly a zone team. Last night Stoops suggested we will be in zone coverages about 80% of the time.

Jalen Geiger was practicing at nickel but has been moved back to S during the final week of camp. Geiger is now the primary backup at SS and will also see some snaps at FS. He can play nickel if called upon, but Alex Afari has won the starting nickel job. It's about getting our best players on the field.

Afari is not a Sam LB. Afari is a nickel, sort of a hybrid slot CB/SS/OLB. Here is the reason for the widespread confusion about this hybrid position. When Stoops got to Lexington, he installed a 3-4 defense. Once Brad White became UK's DC, we began using more and more 3-3-5, which is also being used to one extent or another by Ole MS and MS St. In the 3-3-5, the Sam LB is replaced by a nickel back. This alignment facilitates defending against spread offenses. But we will occasionally revert to the 3-4 against run-heavy opponents, and that means a Sam LB replaces the nickel. Keaton Wade is currently our primary Sam LB, but we can expect to see more 3-3-5 than 3-4 again this year because there are so many spread offenses on our schedule.

Coach Stoops said again last night that Flax will start at RT against Ball State but his competition with Ford is not over. Stoops is still looking for consistency, but he said Flax has worked hard and improved.

New player I'm really excited to see on Saturday- RS frosh slot Brandon White. Was overshadowed in camp as Anthony Brown got all the buzz among newcomer recievers. Speed guy from Cincy, 5'9 underneath burner.

New player I'm really excited to see on Saturday- RS frosh slot Brandon White. Was overshadowed in camp as Anthony Brown got all the buzz among newcomer recievers. Speed guy from Cincy, 5'9 underneath burner.
Stoops commented on him in his call in show, he's got break away speed and they are looking at him on punt returns also.

Andru Phillips has won the starting job at field CB in camp. He played some snaps at nickel last year, but he is an outside defender this year. I don't think we will see Phillips back at nickel. My assessment is that Phillips is our best cover CB, although we are mainly a zone team. Last night Stoops suggested we will be in zone coverages about 80% of the time.

Jalen Geiger was practicing at nickel but has been moved back to S during the final week of camp. Geiger is now the primary backup at SS and will also see some snaps at FS. He can play nickel if called upon, but Alex Afari has won the starting nickel job. It's about getting our best players on the field.

Afari is not a Sam LB. Afari is a nickel, sort of a hybrid slot CB/SS/OLB. Here is the reason for the widespread confusion about this hybrid position. When Stoops got to Lexington, he installed a 3-4 defense. Once Brad White became UK's DC, we began using more and more 3-3-5, which is also being used to one extent or another by Ole MS and MS St. In the 3-3-5, the Sam LB is replaced by a nickel back. This alignment facilitates defending against spread offenses. But we will occasionally revert to the 3-4 against run-heavy opponents, and that means a Sam LB replaces the nickel. Keaton Wade is currently our primary Sam LB, but we can expect to see more 3-3-5 than 3-4 again this year because there are so many spread offenses on our schedule.

Coach Stoops said again last night that Flax will start at RT against Ball State but his competition with Ford is not over. Stoops is still looking for consistency, but he said Flax has worked hard and improved.
The Afari analysis seems like excellent news. I was resisting the idea of Phillips, our most experienced and best corner, sliding over to nickel considering that position group does have some question marks and will benefit from continuity. Then, we have 3 stud safeties but unproven, young depth behind those 3, so depending on Geiger a lot at the nickel might not age well as the wear and tear of season progresses. Afari always appeared more of a power safety than a traditional Sam - if he can cover well enough to be the primary nickel hybrid rather than leaning too much on Geiger and Phillips, that is a much stronger situation to start the season. We already know that Afari will be a monster when he can creep up around the line of scrimmage - if he can cover well at nickel, that will be fantastic.

The Afari analysis seems like excellent news. I was resisting the idea of Phillips, our most experienced and best corner, sliding over to nickel considering that position group does have some question marks and will benefit from continuity. Then, we have 3 stud safeties but unproven, young depth behind those 3, so depending on Geiger a lot at the nickel might not age well as the wear and tear of season progresses. Afari always appeared more of a power safety than a traditional Sam - if he can cover well enough to be the primary nickel hybrid rather than leaning too much on Geiger and Phillips, that is a much stronger situation to start the season. We already know that Afari will be a monster when he can creep up around the line of scrimmage - if he can cover well at nickel, that will be fantastic.

Afari played a lot of snaps at nickel in our 3-3-5 last year. He has corner skills but, as you observed, he also has the size of a SS or a Will LB. He is an unusual player. But he does not have OLB length, so that tells me something about how he will and won't be used.

Our top 3 safeties are very good players, and the development of Zion Childress last year probably went a little faster and better than most people expected. Childress (from Houston, TX) is a very aggressive player and a good athletic fit on the back line of the 3-3-5.

Ranking the 5 biggest stories (i.e., of which I am aware) that have come out of our preseason camp-

5. Our OTs

Marques Cox has been one of the stars of camp and is now a team leader in the locker room. Dylan Ray appears to be a major steal from the transfer portal. Jeremy Flax and Courtland Ford will continue their competition for the RT job into September, with Flax starting the opener against Ball St. Nik Hall is out for the 2023 season with a back injury. Recruitment of younger OTs presumably continues.

4. Special teams

Our 2022 special teams were the worst I have ever seen at the Power 5 level. Coach Stoops hired Jay Boulware, and Coach Boulware has brought in a list of new special teams players. Reports out of camp say transfer placekicker Alex Raynor is a huge upgrade. Can't wait to see Barion Brown return more kickoffs.

3. Anthony Brown

AB is now Anthony Brown-Stephens, and has been the best true freshman in camp. Brown-Stephens will play immediately and is in the playing rotation at both the "F" and "Z" receiver positions. Anecdotal reports are saying he is incredibly good. Brown-Stephens is already receiving comparisons to Wandale Robinson. Normally, I would discount that as being too early. But I am a serious believer in Brown-Stephens' talent and competitive heart.

2. Coach Coen's return

Our offense was a nightmare in 2022. But 2021 was an excellent offensive season. Coach Coen is back now, and reports out of camp have said there is already a big difference. Preseason is always the time for high hopes. But our players enjoy playing for Coen, and early reports of a greatly improved offense may just be the beginning of this story.

1. Devin Leary

New UK QB Leary has had a fantastic camp. Not only is he already a team leader; he has impressed our other players with his passing accuracy, consistency, poise, and confidence. For a program getting over the loss of Will Levis, Leary's offseason assimilation and maturity have been just what the doctor ordered, so to speak. He looks like a perfect fit with Coach Coen.

Ranking the 5 biggest stories (i.e., of which I am aware) that have come out of our preseason camp-

5. Our OTs

Marques Cox has been one of the stars of camp and is now a team leader in the locker room. Dylan Ray appears to be a major steal from the transfer portal. Jeremy Flax and Courtland Ford will continue their competition for the RT job into September, with Flax starting the opener against Ball St. Nik Hall is out for the 2023 season with a back injury. Recruitment of younger OTs presumably continues.

4. Special teams

Our 2022 special teams were the worst I have ever seen at the Power 5 level. Coach Stoops hired Jay Boulware, and Coach Boulware has brought in a list of new special teams players. Reports out of camp say transfer placekicker Alex Raynor is a huge upgrade. Can't wait to see Barion Brown return more kickoffs.

3. Anthony Brown

AB is now Anthony Brown-Stephens, and has been the best true freshman in camp. Brown-Stephens will play immediately and is in the playing rotation at both the "F" and "Z" receiver positions. Anecdotal reports are saying he is incredibly good. Brown-Stephens is already receiving comparisons to Wandale Robinson. Normally, I would discount that as being too early. But I am a serious believer in Brown-Stephens' talent and competitive heart.

2. Coach Coen's return

Our offense was a nightmare in 2022. But 2021 was an excellent offensive season. Coach Coen is back now, and reports out of camp have said there is already a big difference. Preseason is always the time for high hopes. But our players enjoy playing for Coen, and early reports of a greatly improved offense may just be the beginning of this story.

1. Devin Leary

New UK QB Leary has had a fantastic camp. Not only is he already a team leader; he has impressed our other players with his passing accuracy, consistency, poise, and confidence. For a program getting over the loss of Will Levis, Leary's offseason assimilation and maturity have been just what the doctor ordered, so to speak. He looks like a perfect fit with Coach Coen.
Rembrandt, As always I appreciate your post and takes on this board. I know it takes up a lot of your time keeping up with the CATS but it is greatly appreciated! Thanks, GBB

Anything can happen, and I am not predicting it, but 12-0 is the ceiling. I also think the toughest matchup is the vols, Chumlee's offense is averaging nearly 45 in 2 meetings. That's just so out of line for a CMS led team.

I'm curious..What other teams in the East(besides UGA who clearly has a 12-0 ceiling) and Bama in the West do you see as having a 12-0 ceiling?

5. Our OTs

4. Special teams

3. Anthony Brown

2. Coach Coen's return

1. Devin Leary

So is the QB next year already on campus or is it a recruit or another Transfer Portal guy. IMO I don’t think all the current QBs will be in UK blue next year.

So is the QB next year already on campus or is it a recruit or another Transfer Portal guy. IMO I don’t think all the current QBs will be in UK blue next year.
Leary returning for a 6th yr in 2024 to mentor Boley isn't impossible to happen. Might take UK's NIL ops to pay more than an NFL 6th/7th rd signing bonus/salary.

Reactions: The-Hack

2023 classes-

Deuce Hogan- jr
Kaiya Sheron- soph
Destin Wade- RS fresh
Cutter Boley- hs sr
Stone Saunders- hs jr

If he has a good season in 2023, I believe it is wishful thinking to believe Leary would come back in 2024.

I could see one of the current reserve QBs possibly leaving. I don't believe it would be Wade, since his twin brother is now a fixture on our excellent defense. My gut says Hogan probably won't leave since he has already transferred once, but IDK.

ICBW but I don't see Cutter Boley starting our September opener as a true freshman. However, Boley will participate in spring practice and should know the offense a year from now. IDK how Coach Stoops will handle this, but perhaps there will be an ongoing competition next year between Wade, Sheron, and Boley. It probably boils down to Coach Coen's comfort level. Some OCs want one clear starting QB while others can tolerate a competition. We don't know how Coen feels about this. If Stoops takes another QB through the portal, that would probably hasten departures of current QBs. Not saying that isn't possible though.

Last edited:

UGA - Loss
Bama - Loss
USC - Loss
Why are you predicting a loss to USCe? They beat us last year when we played a back up and we have owned them for years previously.

I’m hoping for 2 losses but wouldn’t be surprised at 3. I’d take 9-3/10-2 in a heartbeat and feel we are due.

Reactions: jauk11 and JC-3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT