ADVERTISEMENT

Sports -- how often do you think that "the fix is in?"

The NBA is nightly. When the tickets need to be killed out in order of most money payed out to the public. I've noticed that everytime I have a ticket that's a high payout of over 5000, they never offer a cashout while a certain team remarkably make a come back to bring the odds back into the house favor.
Tonight I had a 200 8 leg parley that after the Pelicans closed and covered the spread by accident that they had to find a way to kill the public ticket. All the sudden the kings go on a 24 to 6 run in Denver. Yeah fuking right, a cashout was never offered on a8 leg with 7 hit already. Fraudulent fuking shit. It's all on a board in front of them and the tickets that need to be killed out is listed first and then whatever needs to happen will then take place.

I've always thought games were controlled by refs. People want to see it as refs being dirty and setting up games.... I think it's the opposite. I believe refs are asked to call games certain ways and it determines the outcome.. when refs don't do as they are instructed is when they start to be investigated for being dirty

Sometimes refs are crooked without even intending to be. They're always going to give David the benefit of the doubt against Goliath. Look at the way the tournament is called. And they're going to give 50/50 calls to the home team if the crowd is intimidating. See Yankees or Red Sox in playoffs.

Whenever there’s lots of money on the line, tampering is goimg to happen. Cannot tell me the nfl wasn’t going to max cash out on the Taylor swift relationship. Or the brackets where everyone in the USA is making one and paying attention that they’re not going to fix that.

I think the nba, nfl are fixed from the top, very scripted. College basketball is fixed regularly by refs

Reactions: BGCATFAN2012
Referees are taught how to control “their game.” Here’s a video of Jamie Luckie teaching “The Craft of Officiating.” He instructs refs how to mirror calls, praises “hits” (aka Technicals) on well-known Coaches like Cal & K, giving latitude to the “Little Guy” (is that what he did to us in 2010 and 2018?), calling so many fouls a team can hardly shoot in a rhythm (“It’s not my fault they can’t shoot”…also think 2010 & 2018), and more insights! When you openly admit YOU the REF are the DIFFERENCE between Elon losing by a few points to Duke or getting blown out (and being proud that the “Little Guy” would thank you for it!), there is a problem.

A little call here or there certainly makes a difference, and they know it. I believe UK would have won the Title in 2010, 2011, 2015 and 2017 if not for antics like this. Between Luckie (2010) and Higgins (11, 15, 17), a “little” call here and there made all the difference.

Last edited:
I think it’s kinda the opposite. I think what draws ratings in sports isn’t everyone’s favorite team winning. It’s everyone’s least favorite team losing. You need a Darth Vader.

Cowboys losing causes all the other teams to laugh and mock them. I kinda think that’s us as well. Nobody besides UK fans wants to watch us win but everyone wants to watch us lose.

I think the NFL did it with Brady are now doing it with Mahomes.
Well what you think is wrong concerning Duke, UNC, Kentucky and Kansas. These teams draw the highest ratings in college basketball and the networks want them in the tournament as long as possible. It is fine for a few Cinderella's early in the tournament but ratings tank if the Blue Bloods do not go deep in the tournament.

Cowboys are a mega draw for the NFL during the regular and post season. They do monster ratings whenever they play and the CBS would have killed for a Cowboys-Chiefs Super Bowl. Cowboys vs Taylor Swift would have smashed the ratings compared to what they got this year (All time high).

Remember when David Stern went on TV and said that Tim Donaghy was the ONLY ref betting on NBA games?

My first thought was, "How the hell can he possibly know that?"

I think it’s very rare is ever that sports are “fixed”. There may be rogue officials or players that try to bet the game through the back door but there’s no institutional game fixing. All these events will still make their money regardless of who wins. You saw people out there spinning the conspiracy that the Super Bowl was fixed because of the colors of the logo. lol what’s the point? It doesn’t matter who’s in the Super Bowl. It’s the Super Bowl. It will print money regardless

Reactions: JDHoss
I think personal bias causes more intentionally bad officiating than money. Like the roofer; he wasn't bribed. He just didn't like UK. What I think is that bad referees should be held accountable so people wouldn't have to wonder if they've been bribed and it's not happening.
And I don't think the NCAA is going to fix it either. That same "roofer" got an award for referee of the year that year if I'm not mistaken.

Sadly more often than we'd like to think. I'll share a HS story with you that if this is taking place in HS, surely it's not out of realm to think there is similar behavior with more $ at stake and fact that officials can impact a game by not causing a team to lose but simply manipulating the point spread.

Played a team 2 yrs in a row and had same guy as one of the 3 officials. In a tie game with less than 2 seconds left and the opponent having an inbounds play after taking a timeout in the backcourt-he called our team for a foul 75 feet from the basket for simply running to turn the ball handler. Same official. Same teams, same call. The first time he called it-they won on made FT, the second year our team survived when player missed front end of 1 and 1 and won in OT. We turned him into the state afterwards as part of our job is to evaluate officials and 99% of the time you are complimentary-but in this case, we sent in video of both games and fact he worked both-made the call that clearly wasn't a foul in either game--he was removed from officiating in the State. The odds of that call being made back to back years is one thing, but for him to make that call with same teams involved...led to finding out he was friends with AD of the opposing school and played on Softball team in Summer with him and it was just blatant screwing kids over to help a buddy out. Pathetic? I think so. Surprised? Sadly, not at all.

So when you add big $, ego to the highest degree, of course there are games being manipulated and fixed.
That official needs his ass kicked.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
In regards to the Superbowl, the NFL just had far too much money at stake to not push KC through. They weren't going to force Baltimore and Buffalo to lose... but they were going to give every 50/50 call to KC, and then some.. making it very tough for the opponents to win. On top of that, you have Baltimore inexplicably going against their own game plan, with no real reason as to why.

But in the end, I'd bet the NFL made hundreds of millions.. maybe even a Billion, just by having the Chiefs in the SB, as opposed to having them lose to Buffalo.

Sports is entertainment, certainly now in 2024 with sports gambling. Hard to trust it.
Explain how the NFL is going to make a ton more money by having KC in over the Bills?

If you watch close, you can see the envelope that gets its corner slammed into the side of the drum, creasing it. Then Stern deliberately seeks out that envelope. There are other videos that get a better view but this one shows the continuity.

Whenever there’s lots of money on the line, tampering is goimg to happen. Cannot tell me the nfl wasn’t going to max cash out on the Taylor swift relationship. Or the brackets where everyone in the USA is making one and paying attention that they’re not going to fix that.

I think the nba, nfl are fixed from the top, very scripted. College basketball is fixed regularly by refs
Hell even the McDonald's Monopoly $1M winner was fixed for five straight years. People went to prison over that one, but for FIVE YEARS they got away with it.

Reactions: drew_ukfan
Explain how the NFL is going to make a ton more money by having KC in over the Bills?

I'm not in the conspiracy fold, but come on. This was the most watched Super Bowl ever even though it was a rematch game without a team East of the Mississippi in it. We all know why, even though she was only on the screen one minute all game.

The Bills is not the example you want to use lol. It is in no way any more important of a market than KC, and its like 6 hours away from NYC. Buffalo is a non factor in the NFL.

The NFL isn't going to totally rig the league. It can't MAKE Mike McCarthy and Dak make it to the NFC game if those guys can't hold up their end of the bargain by playing well in the playoffs.

But taylor swift reportedly raised the KC brand by $300 MILLION this year, which means the NFL just made whatever cut of that is there's. You don't think the NFL and the 32 team owners don't see the important and value of having Taylor Swift in the superbowl? And KC is almost good enough to get there on their own merits alone.. but the NFL does sometimes needs to push its bread winners along. Give them a little boost.

Over the last 6 superbowls, Brady had zero holding calls on him for his two appearances.. KC had 3 holding calls against them over their 4 appearances.. all 3 against.. you guessed it.. Tom Brady.

I'm starting to wonder if every game has a eject button so Vegas gets the money. I've been a **** hair away from 50000 since September gambling started. It's always something that hasn't happened in 53 years they say. It seems like the Public isn't allowed to have any of the money at all cost. Like this UCLA game, they throw the best player out and UTAH wins. No public money tonight.

The Bills is not the example you want to use lol. It is in no way any more important of a market than KC, and its like 6 hours away from NYC. Buffalo is a non factor in the NFL.

The NFL isn't going to totally rig the league. It can't MAKE Mike McCarthy and Dak make it to the NFC game if those guys can't hold up their end of the bargain by playing well in the playoffs.

But taylor swift reportedly raised the KC brand by $300 MILLION this year, which means the NFL just made whatever cut of that is there's. You don't think the NFL and the 32 team owners don't see the important and value of having Taylor Swift in the superbowl? And KC is almost good enough to get there on their own merits alone.. but the NFL does sometimes needs to push its bread winners along. Give them a little boost.

Over the last 6 superbowls, Brady had zero holding calls on him for his two appearances.. KC had 3 holding calls against them over their 4 appearances.. all 3 against.. you guessed it.. Tom Brady.
Ok kinda makes sense. I thought you were implying the Bills would have been a better choice. Both relatively small markets that most outside of the area don’t care for

As far as the penalties…. You can look back at any game and find sh!t calls. In the Baltimore game, the chiefs scored a TD right before half (Mahomes to Rice). Got called back to an absolute crap phantom holding call. That was four points off the board.

Super Bowl on the SF trick play…. SF center was way down the field before the pass. They missed that. I agree they missed many holding calls (Bosa was a beast) but I can think of 3-4 instances were Chris Jones was tackled or tripped

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT