ADVERTISEMENT

Someone please explain Oh St QB situation

Day isn't the only CFB coach who thinks McCord is just Mid, at best. McCord wasn't recruited from the portal by any decent but quarterback-desperate team like FSU or Miami or Auburn. The market speaks for itself, those schools didn't want him they wanted Cam Ward & Will Howard.

Don't try to tell me he must have gotten huge NIL. no good QB is gonna willingly play at one of the worst P5 schools in the worst power conference. Cuse was the best offer he got.

I think this is at least a small example of why coaches like Kirby and Chip Kelly and a lot of talking heads are starting to be more vocal about changing.

There is no rhyme or reason for 90+ percent of all the turnover.

There is absolutely no reason for starters and players who are getting good playing time at P5 programs to transfer.

There's also no reason for anyone to bail before the championship game.

The schedule/logistics of recruiting season, portal season, and even coaching carousel season have to get figured out.

Secondly, I think there needs to be a legit free agency system and contracts. Meaning, there's a specific period of time when players can roll if they don't want to re-up with the team.

I'd like to see 2-year contracts as part of NIL.

Lastly, we need to know what the market is. We need to know who is making what as well as other perks, agreements, etc...

There's a structure in the NFL for this very reason. You can't have stars or even role players just up and leaving right before the post season.
If I offer you double the money to do your same job are you going to stay because your a starter at you current job?

Day isn't the only CFB coach who thinks McCord is just Mid, at best. McCord wasn't recruited from the portal by any decent but quarterback-desperate team like FSU or Miami or Auburn. The market speaks for itself, those schools didn't want him they wanted Cam Ward & Will Howard.

Don't try to tell me he must have gotten huge NIL. no good QB is gonna willingly play at one of the worst P5 schools in the worst power conference. Cuse was the best offer he got.

Maybe the guy they got in the portal is special, but to be a significant improvement over McCord he's essentially going to have to win a Heisman and Natty.

McCord's completion percentage is unreal, he's 11-1 as a starter. Has about a 4-1 tud to pick ratio.

If I offer you double the money to do your same job are you going to stay because your a starter at you current job?

I don't know that Syracuse can double anybody's money. If they did, great, good for the kid for cashing out.

Like I said, I want to see the market and who's getting what.

Maybe the guy they got in the portal is special, but to be a significant improvement over McCord he's essentially going to have to win a Heisman and Natty.

McCord's completion percentage is unreal, he's 11-1 as a starter. Has about a 4-1 tud to pick ratio.

I don't know that Syracuse can double anybody's money. If they did, great, good for the kid for cashing out.

Like I said, I want to see the market and who's getting what.
Maybe if you show him yours, he'll show you his. :)

McCord was 3rd team Big 10 so there were at least two QB’s in the B10 considered better than him.

I agree, McCord’s stats were very impressive. However, if you watched him play he consistently failed to hit receivers in stride, struggled to look past his first read, lacked mobility, and had a number of potential interceptions dropped this year. He’s draft eligible and could have declared this year. Yet, there is a reason why his name doesn’t come up when the gurus talk about the top draft eligible QBs.

Proof is in the actions of CFB coaches....if McCord were a Heisman level QB, why didn't anyone invite him to visit? Why didn't he get personal visits like Riley did to Will Howard?

IMO coaches saw the same thing I did...avg arm, below avg athleticism, not elite decision making against good defenses. all good Ohio passing numbers are the result of Marvin Harrison Jr & the other 5* recievers vs bad defenses.

Reactions: UK_fanatic
McCord starts for an 11-1 OSU team that certainly would be in the playoffs if it was 12 teams this year. No reason to think they won't be in the mix next year.

OSU goes to a NY6 bowl game, Cotton, and the kid not only ours out but transfers to Syracuse, where 6 wins will be a challenge and the only way he'll be at at NY6 bowl is if he buys a ticket.

OSU did not lose Day, so coach leaving is not a reason. Gotta believe starting QB at OSU has more NIL opportunities than anyone at Syracuse. Maybe wasn't assured he'd be the starter next year but has a leg up and injuries/slumps happen so he'd played a bunch, regardless.

Why not play in the Cotton Bowl and THEN transfer? Not like he's gonna have any opportunities to play a game at that level at Syracuse. But, why transfer at all? Makes no sense whatsoever.

Can any make sense of this?
They landed the guy I was hoping UK would get.

I wouldn't say the KSU kid is much better. I mean he had fewer yds, worse completion percentage, same number of TDs, more ints, finished 5th in the B12.

Proof is in the actions of CFB coaches....if McCord were a Heisman level QB, why didn't anyone invite him to visit? Why didn't he get personal visits like Riley did to Will Howard?

IMO coaches saw the same thing I did...avg arm, below avg athleticism, not elite decision making against good defenses. all good Ohio passing numbers are the result of Marvin Harrison Jr & the other 5* recievers vs bad defenses.
Only about 4 guys are Heisman candidates and in modern times if a QB isn't a runner who gets 500 rush yds and at least half dozen tuds he won't be in it.

Don't really have dog in the fight. Not an Ohio State guy, just more interested in the discussion and happenings of the wild portal carousel.

Then the fan and talking head landscape around it too. I mean both have been talking about this kid like he's a bum. Dude only lost to Michigan. Then they get all geeked up over the KSU kid who has Devin Leary stats in a weaker conference and was about to get beat out by a freshman.

Reactions: BigTyrone
I mean both have been talking about this kid like he's a bum. Dude only lost to Michigan. Then they get all geeked up over the KSU kid who has Devin Leary stats in a weaker conference and was about to get beat out by a freshman.
It's almost like 1 guy was surrounded by nothing but 5* teammates while the other had 3* ones! So, everyone looks beyond win/loss records or statistics when evaluating qb talent.

I wouldn't say the KSU kid is much better. I mean he had fewer yds, worse completion percentage, same number of TDs, more ints, finished 5th in the B12.

Only about 4 guys are Heisman candidates and in modern times if a QB isn't a runner who gets 500 rush yds and at least half dozen tuds he won't be in it.
I agree regarding the KSU QB numbers. He definitely looks to be more athletic and will add a dimension to the offense that McCord didn’t have. He’ll be surrounded by major WR talent so it will be interesting to see how much his passing numbers improve.

Regarding Heisman finalists, being a dual threat QB certainly helps. However, CJ Stroud was a two-time Heisman finalist. While he’s pretty athletic, he very rarely ran the ball at OSU. The two years he was a Heisman finalist he had a combined total of 88 rushing yards and zero rushing TD’s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT