ADVERTISEMENT

Do you think PSU fans are getting tired of Franklin?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
They have a good program. Win 9+ games almost every year.

However, they're clearly #3 at best in the B10 annually. Now add in USC, UCLA, OR and WA and that may not be true. Have consistently gotten walloped by OSU and MI most years. Bowl record is not outstanding.

PSU draws 100k+ to big home games. Tons of fan support, money and good in-state recruiting. Are PSU fans going to OK paying Franklin the big bucks to finish 3rd-6th in the new B10? I wonder.

I’m sure they get upset when they lose. But I would think that they have enough sense to know that if they move on from a guy like Franklin he would be the most sought after coach in the country the next morning. He would command a lot of money from some big schools and he would likely have great success while Penn state rolls the dice with his replacement.

They aren’t there yet but there comes a point sometimes where both parties recognize they just need something different. Life gets stale on both ends sometimes. After they have a couple of seasons with the new big 10 and have a feel for whether anything might evolve it might be time if it stays the same. It’s not that he hasn’t gotten to a playoff or anything like that it’s just occasionally needs to post a win against a big boy and he would be fine there.

He will have them in the playoff almost every season starting next year probably. Penn state has 0 shot at winning a national title though. Don't see Penn states success in 80s and early 90s returning ever again to that extent.

Going to another OC. Has a 5* QB who hasn't developed, that after Levis became a high draft pick....at UK. He's said to have a highly abrasive attitude to those who work under him, was supposedly widely disliked at Vanderbilt. He's going to need to start beating top teams.

Reactions: BlueTick2
When he was at Vandy, after the game with UGA he jumped on one of our players, I don't care for Grantham but I thought him and Franklin were going go fight on the field when Grantham came to his players defense.

I don't care for him, he was aledgely involved in a cover up at Vandy. I don't think he is guaranteed a spot in 12 team playoff. They could easily go from 3rd best team to 6th best team in the Big whatever it will be called. Of course if Harbaugh and Day both leave they could suddenly be an actual contender. But their fans are getting restless, but who is an upgrade?

He is going to struggle to make the 12 team playoff IMO with all the new additions to the BIG 20. Seems like a better version of Stoops has taken Penn State as far as he can but does have a top 10 class coming in.

Reactions: gamecockcat
Everyone involved in that pedophilia scandal is either dead, in prison or fired. That doesn’t take away from the fact that they built their brand on the shoulders of not reporting these abuses.

They should be as relevant as SMU today.

I think his personality is tough to deal with too, but who would they get to replace him that’s guaranteed to be an upgrade?

Reactions: BlueTick2
He is going to struggle to make the 12 team playoff IMO with all the new additions to the BIG 20. Seems like a better version of Stoops has taken Penn State as far as he can but does have a top 10 class coming in.
Totally agree. Adding USC, OR and WA will very possibly move PSU down a rung or two. And, who's to say a third place B10 team would make the playoff anyway? Between P5 conf champs and G5 rep, half of the 12 are spoken for. Most years, SEC will have at least one more as will the B10, leaving only 4 spots left at most.

Reactions: TOMCATS1990
Totally agree. Adding USC, OR and WA will very possibly move PSU down a rung or two. And, who's to say a third place B10 team would make the playoff anyway? Between P5 conf champs and G5 rep, half of the 12 are spoken for. Most years, SEC will have at least one more as will the B10, leaving only 4 spots left at most.

I count 5 of 12 spots taken. Sec champ, big 10 champ, mid major acc champ, mid major big 12 championship and g5 rep.

Of the remaining 7 I expect the sec and big 10 to each get at least 5 of those 7 annually so see each getting 3 to 4 in. A second dog crap acc team and a 2nd dog crap big 12 team get the other spots due to politics only.

They're not going to fire a guy who wins about 10 a year and starting next year will be in the play-off hunt.

Not every Pac team coming in is a juggernaut. We'll see if Washington is the real deal or are they Florida state. Undefeated and look good on paper vs everyone but a big dawg!

Reactions: KT34
I look at it a little differently. With those additions, they no longer have divisions which means no Michigan and OSU every year. They have already released their schedules for the next 5 years:

1. They never play OSU and Michigan in the same year.
2. They only play Oregon and Washington in the same year once.
3. OSU and Michigan play one another every year.
4. Oregon and Washington play one another every year.

They escaped without having an annual game against a rivalry. That was a huge win for PSU.

Reactions: BlueTick2 and KT34
Dude is borderline psychotic is what I read somewhere on the internet

Just can’t remember where

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT