ADVERTISEMENT

So what did Duke do for a new coach?

Indiana hasn’t made hires that resemble the same look of a blue blood. Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, UNC. You can make a bad hire at these, but it’s easier to win than anywhere and it’s not normal to do so. A halfway competent coach can win there. Cal has been running this program with self inflicted disadvantages and we were a 3 seed. Tubby went to 5 elite’s here. Scheyer just took over and already has a sweet 16 and still playing. Bill Self had no final fours before Kansas.

Obviously, some programs will come and go. But these 4 programs mentioned aren’t going anywhere. And it’s not that hard to put together a solid decade at these programs.

I’m really not so sure Indiana even puts effort into their basketball program the way UNC Duke Kentucky Kansas do. UCLA definitely doesn’t because it’s not the focus of their area. For example none of the 4 programs mentioned would have hired Cronin around the time UCLA did. It’s just not the same situation as us.
I think Tubby only went to 4??

Haven’t looked good but yet #5 offense and #19 defense, never lost by double digits and most losses were within two possessions. They haven’t been bad either. I don’t think there is a single team in the tournament that HOPES they get to see them

Can’t ever predict in this crazy tournament but I think Duke will play well Friday. Houston will be favored as the top seed and #2 team in the Country which could work to Duke’s advantage psychologically. If it were to be a close game down the stretch, Houston is 295th in free throw shooting. A stat to keep an eye on if it’s tight.

Reactions: Blueheart32
Same with UNCheat and Davis, same with UConn and Hurley, same with Kansas and Self . You do your damn job as AD and identify someone and hire that person. Ask for help if you need to. Form a damn committee . It doesn’t have to be someone with multiple deep runs in tournament already , like some of the dumbasses on here believe.
It can be Todd Golden tho.

Reactions: yoshukai
Can’t ever predict in this crazy tournament but I think Duke will play well Friday. Houston will be favored as the top seed and #2 team in the Country which could work to Duke’s advantage psychologically. If it were to be a close game down the stretch, Houston is 295th in free throw shooting. A stat to keep an eye on if it’s tight.
It will basically be a road game for Duke, with it being in Dallas. I don't see them winning unless the officials decide to foul everyone out like the A&M game.

I think he has the most potential of all the young coaches.
What are we basing this on? He was 16-17 and 24-12 in his 2 years at Florida. Before that he finished 5th 8th and 4th place in the WCC at San Francisco. What am I missing?

What are we basing this on? He was 16-17 and 24-12 in his 2 years at Florida. Before that he finished 5th 8th and 4th place in the WCC at San Francisco. What am I missing?
Just my opinion, lol . Honestly I have only seen him coach a few games and I thought he looked promising.

200.gif

Don't think we can really judge Jon Scheyer and Hubert Davis until they are playing games with all of their own recruits.

I hoped we would have the past 5 years
Where are we coming up with this 5 years nonsense? Nobody won a postseason game in 2020 except maybe some no name conference tournament. 2021 was a messed up year for many team. We are really talking about 3 years max.

They hired a former player who only had experience as an assistant, albeit under Coach K. They have made it to the sweet 16 and have next years top rated recruiting class.
K is probably still helping but I see what your saying

They are still in this year’s tournament being coached up, UKs players are deciding where they are going next.
I'm not going to excuse what's happening here with our program. But if I was a Duke fan, I wouldn't walk around bragging how my team beat up on Vermont and James Madison.

I'm not going to excuse what's happening here with our program. But if I was a Duke fan, I wouldn't walk around bragging how my team beat up on Vermont and James Madison.
Until they lose they can hold their head high, just as we would have. I’m pulling for Houston!!

Not sure if you have noticed, but none of Cal's assistants have actually set the world on fire in the coaching world, which tell us something about Cal.

Go out and sign a bunch of 5 star recruits is just not a winning strategy for most new coaches.

Reactions: jwphelps
Duke has seven 5-star recruits on their roster and they couldn't even win the ACC Regular Season or ACC Tournament title.

Impressive

Yeah, they are in the midst of a terrible season.
Never said they are having a terrible season. If we had seven 5-star recruits on our roster, do you think our fans would be happy with those results, especially IF Duke gets blown out by Houston next game?

Never said they are having a terrible season. If we had seven 5-star recruits on our roster, do you think our fans would be happy with those results, especially IF Duke gets blown out by Houston next game?
I’d say it depends on how the tourney ends.

Reactions: billCgmx
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT