ADVERTISEMENT

Smoker/ Grilling

Looks like I am in the market for a grill/smoker. We had a gas grill but the last time I tried to use it fire began shooting out of the front where the valve is. I assume I have a leak in one of the lines around the know. A few months before that my Electric Smoker quit working too. So I am without a way to grill or smoke anything and it's driving me nuts. I really don't want to spend $800+ for an ceramic green egg style and as of now I am strongly leaning toward the Weber Master Touch. It is the next step below your Performer series. It seems that basically the biggest difference is no side table on the Master Touch. To be honest the side table seems a little small to me and I have a couple of folding plastic tables I would probably use for my stuff anyway. So you still like your Weber?

Weber Performer 22” charcoal grill. Love it!!

Reactions: awf
Looks like I am in the market for a grill/smoker. We had a gas grill but the last time I tried to use it fire began shooting out of the front where the valve is. I assume I have a leak in one of the lines around the know. A few months before that my Electric Smoker quit working too. So I am without a way to grill or smoke anything and it's driving me nuts. I really don't want to spend $800+ for an ceramic green egg style and as of now I am strongly leaning toward the Weber Master Touch. It is the next step below your Performer series. It seems that basically the biggest difference is no side table on the Master Touch. To be honest the side table seems a little small to me and I have a couple of folding plastic tables I would probably use for my stuff anyway. So you still like your Weber?

What do you get with the Master Touch that you do not get with the regular Weber Kettle?

It depends on which one you mean by regular. There are a few differences in the Performer series and even more differences in the Original series. Some differences in the Master Touch is the heavy duty Gourmet BBQ system rack which allows to add different attachments such as a pizza stone, cast iron grate, etc. The other thing is it comes with a place to hang your hood. It also comes with charcoal baskets and a few other things. Below is the Weber website link that you can look at the differences.

Click here

What do you get with the Master Touch that you do not get with the regular Weber Kettle?

Reactions: robo222
It depends on which one you mean by regular. There are a few differences in the Performer series and even more differences in the Original series. Some differences in the Master Touch is the heavy duty Gourmet BBQ system rack which allows to add different attachments such as a pizza stone, cast iron grate, etc. The other thing is it comes with a place to hang your hood. It also comes with charcoal baskets and a few other things. Below is the Weber website link that you can look at the differences.

Click here

I was looking at that but just wondering if I was missing something.

Reactions: robo222
I've had the original and now own the performer deluxe. Can't speak to the master touch, but the side table is more than adequate on the performer, and I just like the looks of the complete unit as opposed to the standalone kettle. Also, the performer has a gas ignition system, and while I don't always use it (sometimes the high heat of the chimney starter is preferred), it's super convenient for week nights/quick cooks.

May not be worth the extra $100-200 for your needs, but I highly recommend spending the extra.

Reactions: Creed Bratton
Anybody buy anything from this company? They make a flat-top, deep fryer, grate combo for the weber kettle. Looks like a lot of fun to cook on.

Product

Vid showing a cook:

Picked up a CharGriller Akorn Kamado over the holidays and I'm loving it. Not quite a BGE or the like, since it doesn't have the ceramic interior, but it has proven to be a really solid grill and smoker for the $300 I have in it.

Have been able to get it to reliably hold at 250 for smoking wings, did a pizza @ 500, and took it up to 700 just to see if I could. Loving it so far. I'm sure it will be the "gateway grill" to a ceramic kamado, but for now it does everything I would expect a BGE to do. Call it "kamado training wheels" I guess.

Picked up a CharGriller Akorn Kamado over the holidays and I'm loving it. Not quite a BGE or the like, since it doesn't have the ceramic interior, but it has proven to be a really solid grill and smoker for the $300 I have in it.

Have been able to get it to reliably hold at 250 for smoking wings, did a pizza @ 500, and took it up to 700 just to see if I could. Loving it so far. I'm sure it will be the "gateway grill" to a ceramic kamado, but for now it does everything I would expect a BGE to do. Call it "kamado training wheels" I guess.

I found a Char-Broil Kamander which is similar to the Akorn for $250 that I really thought about pulling the trigger on. The only thing is they have discontinued that style after only a short time. It makes me wonder if there were issues or if it just didn't sell well. The retail price was around $600 and I would think if anyone wanted to spend that much they would put a couple of hundred extra and get a ceramic one that will not rust. I guess I will just stick with my original thought and go with a Weber.

I like grilling & smoking in the cold weather.

I smoked a couple of meat loaves last week and smoked then reverse seared a ribeye over the weekend. Burned thru pellets like I was cooking a brisket or something big though, so I just got a grill blanket for my Camp Chef Woodwind. Can’t wait to see how it works this weekend.

Weber summit for me. I'm addicted to the "reverse seer". I did a couple of full beef tenderloins over the Christmas holiday this way and always do my steaks this way.

I use the grates that hold the charcol and spread them out to start and then for the "seer" i move them back together.

I also love doing baby back ribs on the grill this way.

Last edited:
I have a brand new Weber Smokey Mountain 22” smoker that I’ll offer up for sale to the paddock before I list it on FB or Craigslist.

$300.

It retails for $430
They are great smokers. If I didn't already have a 22" I would take it. I can't imagine you will have trouble getting rid of it.

I have a Charbroil Grill w/fire box, a regular 24" grill, A Masterbuilt digital smoker and I built a pizza oven right off of the deck......if I can get a picture up loaded....I can cook 4-5 16" pizzas at a time.......I cook on the grill 3-5 nights a week...........year round.....

Reactions: Mossip
No. But it would be pretty easy to build in a day.
[/QUOTE
My dilemma with smoking is that it's just my GF and I. Sure we get tons of leftovers.. but we aren't getting much use of it when it's fresh. One recipe I saw on Youtube was smoking Pork Butt for 11 hours. Seems like an awful lot of work for Pulled Pork for 2. Maybe I'll make it and bring it to family near by.
Freeze the extras........I smoke my pork butt for 16 hrs.........I just slath with yellow mustard and coat with pepper.......I like to use apple wood and cherry wood since my wife doesn't like a strong smoke flavor.........

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Kroger and Meijer and such dont handle the cut. If Costco in fact does then I will definitely head out there. My folks have a membership and I need to get a new tank of propane for my gas grill anyway.

Do they handle wood chunks and charcoal? I assume yes, but you never know. Would be nice to just get some bulk bags and giddyup for the whole summer lol
Keep your eye out for Lowe's spring charcoal sale.......the last three years they have had the double 18lb bags for $12.....three years ago they sold me all of the damaged bags for $5 each......we use about 12-15 bags a year......

Reactions: CB3UK
I watched a guy smoke a Smithfield spiral ham and he kept basting it with sauce of cherry preserves, molasses, cherry coke and siracha. I am thinking a little bourbon would be good too. Man that thing looked delicious.

Keep your eye out for Lowe's spring charcoal sale.......the last three years they have had the double 18lb bags for $12.....three years ago they sold me all of the damaged bags for $5 each......we use about 12-15 bags a year......
Yes indeed. I always stock up. They do it going into Memorial Day and July 4th.

Seems to be a pretty big hit at work. Pretty simple and inexpensive. Probably best to just throw it on the smoker when you're making something else.
I slice it about 3/4' thick and grill it with some BBQ sauce.......I can't tell you what I put in the sauce because I don't have a recipe.......I just add and mix till it taste good.....get a little bit of color on it........we always called it Portland Round Steak.......grandpa had a store at 26th & Duncan........and would drop a hunk off ever couple of weeks.....we ate a lot of bologna.......I still do........Fischer's bologna.....mmmmmmmm!

I watched a guy smoke a Smithfield spiral ham and he kept basting it with sauce of cherry preserves, molasses, cherry coke and siracha. I am thinking a little bourbon would be good too. Man that thing looked delicious.
I smoked a spiral sliced ham for Chrismas........I used Orange Marmalade and some Eagle Rare.......a little bit of ground cloves.........we thought it was delicious......I put my sauce on it and wrapped it up two days before I smoked it.......

I have a Charbroil Grill w/fire box, a regular 24" grill, A Masterbuilt digital smoker and I built a pizza oven right off of the deck......if I can get a picture up loaded....I can cook 4-5 16" pizzas at a time.......I cook on the grill 3-5 nights a week...........year round.....

I plan to build a pizza oven soon. Lotta how tos online. How’d you build yours?

I plan to build a pizza oven soon. Lotta how tos online. How’d you build yours?
I built mine the hard way.......hired a guy who laid the oven.......it blew up when I burned the form out.....I built the second one myself.......the oven it's self is fire brick....then I laid a brick shell around it.......I originally planned on a grill on the end......but as I am wont to do.....I have never finished the project.....we have learned to cook some very good pizza, calazone, Stromboli among our favorites......my wife makes a mean apple crostada out there also.......I am a 500lb man in hiding so we haven't baked any bread out there.....I will look up some pics and post them......

Last edited:
I went to get a Weber kettle last night but man that thing had the flimsiest legs for a $225 grill I have ever saw. My wife was like there is now way I am paying for something that looks like it is about to fall apart. I may just go with the Charbroil Kamander I found for $225 despite it being discontinued.

That's surprising. Weber has always been heavy duty and well built, but like most companies I'm sure they're looking for ways to save money....which of course cheapens the product. I've got a Weber (Genesis Series I think) gas grillthat I bought about 8-10 years ago. Still looks and works like new. But man is it solid. Very heavy and well built.

Reactions: Creed Bratton
I have never owned a Weber but I was surprised how wobbly it was. It was the one with the extras so the price was $220 and I found this Charbroil Kamander that is made like a kamado but made from steel on sale for $250. It is a lot more sturdy and with it having the insulated walls it should hold heat pretty well.

670d28a01f40d9c524e3f640d2f9a2d7.jpg

Lots of good advice in this thread, so thanks everyone.

I had just a regular Weber gas grill. But I would love to have an alternative to smoke and slow cook some different types of meat. There are so many options. I don't need anything super fancy (under $1000), so I didn't know if I should go for a pellet grill (for versatility), or just some type of simple smoker.

Any recommendations?

I made smoked meatloaf, pork chops and Spam burnt ends. I have some experimenting to keep my temp steady but it turned out great. The Spam burnt ends were a lot better than I thought they would be. Everyone that tried them loved them.

I made smoked meatloaf, pork chops and Spam burnt ends. I have some experimenting to keep my temp steady but it turned out great. The Spam burnt ends were a lot better than I thought they would be. Everyone that tried them loved them.

Smoked meatloaf is completely underrated. We took some of the leftovers and made a batch of chili once. Pretty tasty.

I don't need anything super fancy (under $1000), so I didn't know if I should go for a pellet grill (for versatility), or just some type of simple smoker.

With that budget, you can buy a damn good smoker. This looks like it will check a lot of boxes for you at half your budget.

It's pretty versatile and provides some of that convenience that you're used to with a gas grill. My only concern would be the small cooking areas.

I've never used the pellet grills but would be interested in the pros and cons from somebody that has owns one.

Also, this site give a pretty good overview - Best < $1000.00 https://themeathouseblog.com/best-offset-smoker-under-1000/

SEE ALSO: @buckethead1978 is offering a great deal on a Weber Smokey Mountain above.

Last edited:
Recipe? I may have missed if already posted...

I cut them in 1 inch squares and smoked them for about an hour and a half at 250 on the grill grates with Hickory wood chunks. Then I put them in a pan with about 1/2 a stick of butter, 1/2 a cup of brown sugar and a cup of BBQ sauce. I put them back in the smoker for another 45 minutes or so. If you want you can take them out of the sauce and let them finish for about 15 minutes on the grill grate to caramelize the sauce.

Last edited:
With that budget, you can a damn good smoker. This looks like it will check a lot of boxes for you at half your budget.

It looks pretty versatile and provides some of that conveinance you're used to with a gas grill. My only concern would be the small cooking areas.

I've never used the pellet grills, but would be interested in the pros and cons from somebody that has owns one.

Also, this site give a pretty good overview - Best < $1000.00 https://themeathouseblog.com/best-offset-smoker-under-1000/

The pellet grills seem good but I read horror stories of the auger not shutting off and pumping too many pellets causing fires that scared me away from them.

The pellet grills seem good but I read horror stories of the auger not shutting off and pumping too many pellets causing fires that scared me away from them.

I had this issue with an entry level Z Grill. The temp bottomed out several times which was frustrating enough on it's own. The only way to raise the temp was to manually manipulate the dial. Once things leveled out for awhile it went crazy. I had my back turned cooking on the gas grill, next thing I hear is a loud "pop" from the pellet smoker drum expanding. Flames were rolling out 6-8ft high. Once I was able to put the fire out, the interior/exterior of the drum was a complete loss.

After fighting with the warranty department, they finally agreed to send me a new grill. Haven't had the auger/blower stick again, but having issues with the temp bottoming out again. I want to like the pellet grill as it sounds great in theory. I've been frustrated with it almost every use, but think that has more to do with me purchasing a cheap/budget option.

I third a couple of posters above. The Pit Barrel Cooker is really fun and low maintenance. I'll eventually graduate to a WSM, but there's just something to hanging the meat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT