ADVERTISEMENT

SMH at KSR right now

Dec 11, 2013
These guys should just give up talking about UK football. They evidently think we want to hear them make fun of the program. Couple of gems:

- we're not gonna run the ball that much.
- Towles and maybe Boom are the only NFL guys on the roster
- when is practice?
- defense is gonna be terrible
I probably missed a couple others.

I give them credit for 'trying' but maybe they should just have a guest on and let them explain football.

These guys should just give up talking about UK football. They evidently think we want to hear them make fun of the program. Couple of gems:

- we're not gonna run the ball that much.
- Towles and maybe Boom are the only NFL guys on the roster
- when is practice?
- defense is gonna be terrible
I probably missed a couple others.

I give them credit for 'trying' but maybe they should just have a guest on and let them explain football.

It is beyond bad. I am almost 100% sure players don't even report until 8/6 yet they said practice started yesterday then said it started today.

As far as talking about the team and the season they are so uninformed its not even worth commenting on.

Guys honest question.....Why listen?

You know you're not going to get even good Football coverage...much less informed coverage.
I generally like listening to KSR but they need to be called out on their football info until they start taking it seriously. I mean they're supposed to be the 'flagship' radio program on UK sports, so freakin act like you know what you are talking about.

I generally like listening to KSR but they need to be called out on their football info until they start taking it seriously. I mean they're supposed to be the 'flagship' radio program on UK sports, so freakin act like you know what you are talking about.
Could not agree more, but it won't change till people demand it.

You would think this week and the weeks to follow would be UK Football the majority of the time with great insight and info.

But they do not work or prepare that way, thats why they don't even know whats going on.

Anyone can say the defense is going to be bad based on last year. But tell me WHY you think they will be bad again this year? At least give me your reasoning instead of just making a statement like that with nothing behind it.

I actually don't believe we'll be anywhere near as bad as last year. And part of the reason is that the offense will be so much better, and we WILL run the ball. We have Boom Freakin Williams, we're gonna run the ball.

Could not agree more, but it won't change till people demand it.

You would think this week and the weeks to follow would be UK Football the majority of the time with great insight and info.

But they do not work or prepare that way, thats why they don't even know whats going on.

Folks, they are doing that crap on purpose. basketball is and always will be their number 1.

I thought it would improve with the hiring of Freddie Maggard, but maybe not. Matt really likes UK football, but i doubt it will ever get the air time that basketball gets.

If they are doing it on purpose then UK should refuse them access. Why support people who are too arrogant to put out a quality program instead of Matt Jones stupid shtick.

I love football and I love the show. I take it for what it is, entertainment.. I turn it off when they are talking stuff i don't like and I keep it going when it is interesting. Everybody seems to be getting pissed over it. Don't waste your brain cells.

Understand that Matt Jones #1 goal is to promote Matt Jones....period. He puts up with Lemond's idiocy, Tyler's lack of knowledge and Franklin's drunkenness because they kiss his ass.

Reactions: Levibooty
I love football and I love the show. I take it for what it is, entertainment.. I turn it off when they are talking stuff i don't like and I keep it going when it is interesting. Everybody seems to be getting pissed over it. Don't waste your brain cells.
This is what I do, I had them on iheart this morning for about 5 mins and realized it was a waste of time.

Turned it off....and I will do the same throughout the next 4 weeks.

If it's the stupid stuff off it goes. They don't control what I listen to...I do!

But might as well face it, if you want Football talk thats not the place.

Recently got to look behind the wall of a site. A basketball post about some dude from Austrailia was getting 3200 clicks. Closest football post was getting 125. Opened my eyes. This board is a very small minority and if you want to talk football, better come here.

Better watch it, matt's shills (rupptards) will be here in a minute to tell you how stupid you are.

Matt needs to replace Lemond with Drew Franklin as his permanent co host. What a goober Lemond is. He needs to go back to being a sports anchor. And as far as the defense is concerned, when has it not been bad to atrocious the last 30 yrs? I don't even remember it being mediocre any one year. The best years when it was halfway decent, and I could be wrong without looking at the stats, were 93, 02, 07, and 08? And halfway decent is being very generous with those teams. They still gave up alot of yards and points. It was just an improvement over some of the putrid defenses we've had most years. I'll believe the defense is gonna be good when they prove it on the field.

Matt Jones is trying to be a Horward Stern type show. He appeals to the lowest common denominator sense of humor by humiliating not only our rivals with personal attacks but also his co-workers.

That said, his show ain't changing as long as he is #1 in the market.

As far as the defense goes, the same people suggesting our defense will be markedly improved after losing a player the caliber of Bud are the dame people who call out Louisville fans who claim they are going to be better after losing Devante Parker

I'm normally the biggest supporter of the show, and I still am. But the lack of football knowledge is really starting to get to me.

If he can study hard enough to learn all about the politicians at fancy farm in order to give his speech, then surely to God he can learn about the current football roster. It really is ridiculous.

I've tweeted several times to please have Maggard on atleast for a few segments during the week. No response. He needs to seriously learn the sport and learn to like it, it's the only other major sport to really talk about, cmon.

Reactions: Jkwo
Better watch it, matt's shills (rupptards) will be here in a minute to tell you how stupid you are.
Does that make you a lairtard or a wildtard? And are people who like both sports lairupptards or ruppwildtards? Just trying to figure out what name to call which posters (myself included) on here.

Also, outside of when the coaches are on his show (which I really enjoy, especially Dawson.....want to drink a beer and shoot the shit with that guy), I don't think ratings do too well when he tries to speak football. And that makes sense as he fully admits to not be a big X's and O'x kind of guy. But if I do remember Jones and KSR were some of the ones pushing the hardest for the Commonwealth/football facilities upgrades, so whether you hate the guy or not you at least have to give him credit for that. As for today's show, I didn't listen and even if I did it wouldn't really bother me that he got the start date of fall practice wrong, just as I wouldn't be upset if he gave the wrong date for BBM or got a bball player's name wrong.

Reactions: mapcatfan
I don't see how our defense isn't terrible? I agree with that point.
You are jumping to a negative conclusion without giving Stoops a fair chance. Our defense will be improved. We are much better and deeper at every position on the field except defensive end. What some people may not understand is, the conversion to a 3-4 will lessen the blow of losing Dupree and Za'Darius.

Really? I just don't even.... No. Just, no. Until he starts inviting guest to remove their clothes and sit on an adult entertainment device...
By making a sports show more about what the host did over the weekend than actual sports he is copying the same thing Howard Stern did with rock radio stations. The broadcast became more about the host and less about the music.

He has said it himself how much he admires Stern's show. If you want to say he isn't immolating Stern fine, but according to Matt Jones himself he is. MJ personally attacks people because "it makes good radio" just like Stern. He tells you all about his "adventures" on vacations or at events just like Stern. He's got his dim witted side kicks and the Whack Pack of UK fans just like Stern.

If you read his site there are plenty of comments about women and pictures of scantly dressed coeds. Fewer now than in the past but they still pop up.

Last edited:
You are jumping to a negative conclusion without giving Stoops a fair chance. Our defense will be improved. We are much better and deeper at every position on the field except defensive end. What some people may not understand is, the conversion to a 3-4 will lessen the blow of losing Dupree and Za'Darius.

So, if Dupree had been in the 3-4 last year would he have still caught the swatted pass by the USCjr QB and ran it into the end zone?

So, if Dupree had been in the 3-4 last year would he have still caught the swatted pass by the USCjr QB and ran it into the end zone?
Dupree DID play outside linebacker in a 3-4 for a good portion of last year although both 3-4 and 4-3 were used.

So are they converting to the 3-4 or not? My guess is it will still be a mix. He might have more sets with only 3 lineman but that's just because he doesn't have the type of talent he had last year where Bud and Z could confuse the offenses by putting their hand in the dirt to rush the passer or drop back and play pass.

I love Matt Jones and all the UK coaches thats comes on to his show as guest. His show is what it is and thats Entertainment. "Sometimes" Matt has some good resources into recruiting.
Our Defense for this year? Its going to be bad again and not improve. I say we are about 2-3 years away of having a very good defense. Our offense is going to good but not great.
I say our offense is going to be the best in the SEC in a few years but not now. Its going to take Stoops a few more years to get this program winning in the SEC.

Exactly. Two years away. Just need to win 6.

Look, all you have to know is that a guy the size of Matt Elam couldn't step in to a consistent role as a true freshmen. It takes time on the D-line. Look at Bud's progression. He wasn't a 1st rd draft pick until his senior year for a reason and he was always a physical specimen.

These unreal expectations are going to lead to nothing more than disgruntled fans and a whole lot of crows yapping across town. Let's all be patient and wait 2 more seasons before we run the flag up because by then it will be on baby!!

I'll plop down a c-note that we are better on defense this year. We were ranked 91 in 2013 and 75 in 2014 so I expect an even bigger jump this year. And one reason for that is our offense will be better. Now it's not gonna be the steel curtain or anything but it should be improved, even with losing Bud and Z. We have so much more experience and depth this year.

Reactions: rudd1
I'll plop down a c-note that we are better on defense this year. We were ranked 91 in 2013 and 75 in 2014 so I expect an even bigger jump this year. And one reason for that is our offense will be better. Now it's not gonna be the steel curtain or anything but it should be improved, even with losing Bud and Z. We have so much more experience and depth this year.
Being 'better' doesn't mean anything when going from 75 to 65.

Even if we moved into the top 50 on defense, that still puts us near average. That's not impressive.

Until two or three years where Stoops recruiting classes start to see field time, I don't think you'll see a big difference. Mediocre is mediocre.

I write for them, so I am biased, but we over at www.aseaofblue.com actually put out a ton of educated football info.. we released a 20 minute podcast on Sunday where it was just O-Line talk and we had Zipp Duncan weigh in on the intricacies of the unit. I will be releasing a piece this week on comparing how different 2015 vs. 2014 air raid will be, etc.

I like the show, but I am frustrated when Matt tries to give some strategic insight he knows little about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT