ADVERTISEMENT

Should Student Loans Be Forgiven or Enforced?

One thing would be to get rid of elective mandates for kids who know what they want to do. When college was cheaper, it sure made sense to go for 4-5 years and soak up as much variety as you could get. But, with the cost now, a business major should not have to be in college for 4 years. Get the kid into the discipline and get him/her out.

Maybe expand technical type education pgms that focus on infrastructure type repair and improvements - and incentivize a work guarantee exchange for — again — certain years of service supporting systems like city water / power / sewer

and honestly - not sure how this would ever happen - but identify certain degree pgms that are not placing ppl into employment — pgms that are perhaps more culturally focused than anything else — and reassign staff and resources so that costs are removed and the “degree pgm” — is now an online / community facing service pgm

That sounds vague doesn’t it ?

Just woke up - still need coffee

Reactions: augustaky1
I think two year programs JUCOs and community colleges fill that niche. I was a business major and looking back I think I benefitted from other disciplines that I was required to study such as psychology which helps understand people - comes in handy in creating marketing plans, and making hiring decisions, English and Speech - helps with effective written and verbal communication skills, History gives you an idea of how society and technologies have evolved over time, Law gives you a basic understanding of the UCC which is the structure under which businesses function. Have to admit though art appreciation didn't really add much to my education.
The public speaking class I had to take in college probably did as much benefit for me as any other class I ever took. After that, I've never once had any problem whatsoever presenting or speaking to groups of people, rather it be in an academic or professional setting. I mean I still don't like it, I never have and never will as an introvert, but it gave me the experience, training, skills, and probably most importantly, the confidence to do it. Sometimes you don't realize what you need until you are forced to do it.

I like to cite as the prime example of this when I was a graduate assistant in the sports information department at my alma mater. I had an intern working for me at a softball game as the PA announcer, so he did the opening announcements, starting lineups, in-game announcements, etc. Well it was his first time doing, he got nervous and froze up in the middle of announcing the starting lineups. In hindsight I didn't set him up well for success on that particular day, I let him know that and took full blame for it.

I'd never done the announcing before either because I didn't want to and never needed to. Well I just took the mic from him, picked up where he left off, and finished off the pre-game announcements like it had been something I was accustomed to doing. Though I wasn't good at it because it's just not my thing and it was my first time doing it too and with zero preparation at that. Had I not had that public speaking class, I probably would have ****ed up the whole damn situation because I would have done everything I possibly could to avoid getting on that mic 😂.

Then when I moved on to my next college for a full-time job in the same field, it wasn't uncommon for me to do the announcing when I couldn't find a student employee to do the job because it wasn't a school that typically attracted students who wanted to work in sports. I don't really any of what people would consider public speaking now in my job in the medical field, but I still feel like that confidence instilled in me has been beneficial in my frequent interactions with patients.

And I think a lot of the college classes I took just really exposed me to different things - like different people, classes, experiences, beliefs, ideas, etc. that I had never been exposed to before because my parents forced me to live a fairly sheltered existence.

I was taught by numerous people who thought and believe some of the same stuff I did, and numerous others that didn't. I remember pretty vividly being in complete disagreement with the pro-gun control professor I had in my political science class (I was raised in a pretty significantly right leaning household with little to no exposure to any other belief system) while being in complete agreement with the openly proud Republican economics professor I had. I was a stubborn bastard back then. It wasn't until years after when I decided to start changing things about my life that I genuinely became open to different beliefs and started changing my opinions and beliefs on things.

I got to learn about many things I had little to zero knowledge of that I found particularly interesting. Getting to hear regularly from guest speakers who have jobs in their field from a variety of different professions was also something insightful and something that was never really broadly available where I grew up outside of the colleges until the whole streaming video thing took off. Now you can go on YouTube and listen/watch to TED Talks and podcasts and stuff like that all you want!

Perhaps the most interesting, despite me being at most at any point in my entire life a Christian in name only, was the Religions of Asia class. Getting to learn about the real facts and beliefs of Janiism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Taosim, Zoroastrianism, etc.without the prejudice of screaming heads on TV (and locally, being from the hometown of Liberty University after all!) was enlightening!

Being forced to learn things you don't think you'll never use or hear things that don't fit your current belief system isn't a bad thing (as long as it isn't legitimate indoctrination). You often may not realize the benefits of it until down the road. You may realize that you think differently on things after being exposed to a different viewpoint that you may not have been exposed to in a civil, reasoned fashion in the past, or heck, maybe hearing an opposing belief presented in a civil, reasoned fashion may even further believe whatever you already believe!

And some fields of study may not be ones that necessarily generate a lot of jobs or high paying jobs directly in the field, but they provide the knowledge, skills, and experience that are hugely beneficial in others! Like take philosophy and English, when's the last time you knew of someone who got well paying, stable employment working in philosophy or English (other than being a college professor)? Probably never, but those are two great degrees to get if you want to become a lawyer.

Last edited:
The public speaking class I had to take in college probably did as much benefit for me as any other class I ever took. After that, I've never once had any problem whatsoever presenting or speaking to groups of people, rather it be in an academic or professional setting. I mean I still don't like it, I never have and never will as an introvert, but it gave me the experience, training, skills, and probably most importantly, the confidence to do it. Sometimes you don't realize what you need until you are forced to do it.

I like to cite as the prime example of this when I was a graduate assistant in the sports information department at my alma mater. I had an intern working for me at a softball game as the PA announcer, so he did the opening announcements, starting lineups, in-game announcements, etc. Well it was his first time doing, he got nervous and froze up in the middle of announcing the starting lineups. In hindsight I didn't set him up well for success on that particular day, I let him know that and took full blame for it.

I'd never done the announcing before either because I didn't want to and never needed to. Well I just took the mic from him, picked up where he left off, and finished off the pre-game announcements like it had been something I was accustomed to doing. Though I wasn't good at it because it's just not my thing and it was my first time doing it too and with zero preparation at that. Had I not had that public speaking class, I probably would have ****ed up the whole damn situation because I would have done everything I possibly could to avoid getting on that mic 😂.

Then when I moved on to my next college for a full-time job in the same field, it wasn't uncommon for me to do the announcing when I couldn't find a student employee to do the job because it wasn't a school that typically attracted students who wanted to work in sports. I don't really any of what people would consider public speaking now in my job in the medical field, but I still feel like that confidence instilled in me has been beneficial in my frequent interactions with patients.

And I think a lot of the college classes I took just really exposed me to different things - like different people, classes, experiences, beliefs, ideas, etc. that I had never been exposed to before because my parents forced me to live a fairly sheltered existence.

I was taught by numerous people who thought and believe some of the same stuff I did, and numerous others that didn't. I remember pretty vividly being in complete disagreement with the pro-gun control professor I had in my political science class (I was raised in a pretty significantly right leaning household with little to no exposure to any other belief system) while being in complete agreement with the openly proud Republican economics professor I had. I was a stubborn bastard back then. It wasn't until years after when I decided to start changing things about my life that I genuinely became open to different beliefs and started changing my opinions and beliefs on things.

I got to learn about many things I had little to zero knowledge of that I found particularly interesting. Getting to hear regularly from guest speakers who have jobs in their field from a variety of different professions was also something insightful and something that was never really broadly available where I grew up outside of the colleges until the whole streaming video thing took off. Now you can go on YouTube and listen/watch to TED Talks and podcasts and stuff like that all you want!

Perhaps the most interesting, despite me being at most at any point in my entire life a Christian in name only, was the Religions of Asia class. Getting to learn about the real facts and beliefs of Janiism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Taosim, Zoroastrianism, etc.without the prejudice of screaming heads on TV (and locally, being from the hometown of Liberty University after all!) was enlightening!

Being forced to learn things you don't think you'll never use or hear things that don't fit your current belief system isn't a bad thing (as long as it isn't legitimate indoctrination). You often may not realize the benefits of it until down the road. You may realize that you think differently on things after being exposed to a different viewpoint that you may not have been exposed to in a civil, reasoned fashion in the past, or heck, maybe hearing an opposing belief presented in a civil, reasoned fashion may even further believe whatever you already believe!

And some fields of study may not be ones that necessarily generate a lot of jobs or high paying jobs directly in the field, but they provide the knowledge, skills, and experience that are hugely beneficial in others! Like take philosophy and English, when's the last time you knew of someone who got well paying, stable employment working in philosophy or English (other than being a college professor)? Probably never, but those are two great degrees to get if you want to become a lawyer.
This shows how much you are into bloviating. So suppose the public speaking course helped.

Reactions: barbourfor3
Haven't read the thread & don't intend to. My two cents:

I can't see giving money (loan forgiveness) to people who likely improved their future potential income from the loans while not helping those who never went to college at all for whatever reasons. It's a gift to the generally better off. Makes zero sense to me.

Reactions: Lamar Card
Haven't read the thread & don't intend to. My two cents:

I can't see giving money (loan forgiveness) to people who likely improved their future potential income from the loans while not helping those who never went to college at all for whatever reasons. It's a gift to the generally better off. Makes zero sense to me.
Is this your first experience with capitalism?

Maybe expand technical type education pgms that focus on infrastructure type repair and improvements - and incentivize a work guarantee exchange for — again — certain years of service supporting systems like city water / power / sewer

and honestly - not sure how this would ever happen - but identify certain degree pgms that are not placing ppl into employment — pgms that are perhaps more culturally focused than anything else — and reassign staff and resources so that costs are removed and the “degree pgm” — is now an online / community facing service pgm

That sounds vague doesn’t it ?

Just woke up - still need coffee
I grew up in Bloomington. The problem with education is it’s inconsistent. Other parts of the state have better trades programs. Monroe county invested in higher education not skilled trades. It’s insane that a music student/liberal arts is pushed so hard. These kids have huge debt coming out of college making 35k a year. I finally moved away and work in the trades making 6 figures falling out of bed.

Reactions: CastleRubric

And after all that aren’t you always complaining how you can’t make any money, can’t find a good job, and still to this day don’t know what you want to do?

I grew up in Bloomington. The problem with education is it’s inconsistent. Other parts of the state have better trades programs. Monroe county invested in higher education not skilled trades. It’s insane that a music student/liberal arts is pushed so hard. These kids have huge debt coming out of college making 35k a year. I finally moved away and work in the trades making 6 figures falling out of bed.

well said -

if you possess entrepreneurial skills and a business mindset of sorts - you probably should. avoid college debt entirely

same for any personal dream you may harbor (want to be a musician or work with horses or - whatever) — that’s another segment that probably should avoid college education entirely as well

... degrees can still open doors for you BUT they close doors too

If you go and amass significant business degree debt - you are probably saying goodbye to being a professional musician for example (sounds silly maybe but it was a revelation to the younger me)
i’m watching my nephews and noting their debt levels - one is an osteopathic doctor and the other has advanced degrees for Phy-Therapy

both gainfully employed - but they have WAAAY more debt than i did

well said -

if you possess entrepreneurial skills and a business mindset of sorts - you probably should. avoid college debt entirely

same for any personal dream you may harbor (want to be a musician or work with horses or - whatever) — that’s another segment that probably should avoid college education entirely as well

... degrees can still open doors for you BUT they close doors too

If you go and amass significant business degree debt - you are probably saying goodbye to being a professional musician for example (sounds silly maybe but it was a revelation to the younger me)
i’m watching my nephews and noting their debt levels - one is an osteopathic doctor and the other has advanced degrees for Phy-Therapy

both gainfully employed - but they have WAAAY more debt than i did
I teach my kids this. My daughter loves horses. If she could make a career out of it she would. I told her do what you want but understand you don’t have to make a career out of struggle. You can do something profitable and still be/work around them. Side gig. Just don’t build your whole life around a struggling profession. If you do just understand I can’t support that financially just because. She understands this. Her second love is architecture and design. That’s workable. My niece went to UK in equestrian studies. She can struggle because my sister is crazy rich. That’s a huge advantage in dream seeking.

Reactions: augustaky1
And after all that aren’t you always complaining how you can’t make any money, can’t find a good job, and still to this day don’t know what you want to do?
Yeah I don't know what I want to do. Between a combination of burn out from the career I went to school to pursue, hating nearly every class I took for my MBA, and only having the opportunity to take one or two classes in another field, I didn't really have much chance to more deeply explore any other potential career paths.

But I am getting paid pretty well nowadays, actually. Got a 20% market rate salary increase last month, a TBD merit increase is coming next month, and my benefits are considerably cheaper and better than anything else I've ever had. I'd like to make more money, but so does probably virtually every other human being who has ever existed.

At this point, my only realistic options for economic improvement are: 1) promotion either within or elsewhere; 2) since I have an MBA, going into a business field I'd almost assuredly hate; 3) go back to school and get a different degree; or 4) enter a skilled or specialized manual labor trade, eitehr via apprentice/on the job training or a two-year program at the community college

I suppose you can say I want to stay here, but that's more because of compensation reasons, not because of the actual work.

I teach my kids this. My daughter loves horses. If she could make a career out of it she would. I told her do what you want but understand you don’t have to make a career out of struggle. You can do something profitable and still be/work around them. Side gig. Just don’t build your whole life around a struggling profession. If you do just understand I can’t support that financially just because. She understands this. Her second love is architecture and design. That’s workable. My niece went to UK in equestrian studies. She can struggle because my sister is crazy rich. That’s a huge advantage in dream seeking.
One of my friends did equestrian studies and is some sort of equine vet in Kentucky making bank.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy

you’re a good and wise teacher then

it used to be almost a guarantee that a bachelors = better pay and a career path right ?

sheeeeiiit

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Not all do. The price to become one is unbelievable. The range varies on salary too. You might as well be a Dr.

Average vet makes more than average doctor. It’s not unusual for a primary care physician starting out to make 85/90k

Average vet makes more than average doctor. It’s not unusual for a primary care physician starting out to make 85/90k

An md or do?

If they're making that it's because they graduated from a foreign non accredited school and require certain additional benchmarks to get full accreditation.

Otherwise sounds like the starting salary for a pac or rnp. Unless the Dr is just hired to rubber stamp all the mid levels scrips

Not around here. Nurse practitioner brings that in on the low end. Doctors make more than that. Hell dialysis techs make 80k. My friend is a vet and she doesn’t make crazy money. She’s been a vet 15 years.

An md or do?

If they're making that it's because they graduated from a foreign non accredited school and require certain additional benchmarks to get full accreditation.

Otherwise sounds like the starting salary for a pac or rnp. Unless the Dr is just hired to rubber stamp all the mid levels scrips

I’m very familiar with the salaries, certain medical specialists make great money, lots don’t. Especially with all the hospital systems and corporations buying out practices. The majority of doctors nowadays are salaried employees. Lots of vets are in private practice, so if they happen to be good in business they can make great money.

It’s not the interest on the loan that is crushing students. It is the high cost of college. Since the 80s, college tuition has far outpaced inflation due to the guaranteed student loan. The predators in this scenario are the colleges, with an assist from Congress.

Enforced. You rang up the debt, you pay the piper.

However, we need higher education reform. You shouldn't be required to take all of the fluff classes. Unless its a specialized degree, you should get it done in half the time/costs. They need more transparency on why costs have spiraled out of control. There needs to be ROI data published with metrics similar to what is displayed on credit card statements (this degree will cost an estimated $100k and expected salary for this degree from our institution is $40-50). That's just off the top of my head.

Folks need to walk into this eyes wide open.

Touching story. That would make a great Disney film.

It’s not the interest on the loan that is crushing students. It is the high cost of college. Since the 80s, college tuition has far outpaced inflation due to the guaranteed student loan. The predators in this scenario are the colleges, with an assist from Congress.
One of the biggest issues in public education is the drastic decrease in funding from the state over the years. As an example. I think about 10% of UK’s budget comes from state funding. That number used to be over 50%. The main way to meet budget needs is to charge more for tuition, room and board. It’s never made any sense to my why universities that get 10% of their budget from the state have to follow 100% of their rules. “”Public” universities don’t really exist anymore.

The only way this happen is if the UNIVERSITY in conjunction with the lending institution along with the student split the deal. NOT the taxpayer. The University that made money on the tuition should share in the loss. Same for the lender, not the govt. backing the loan. And in the end the deadbeat should have the loss reflected on their credit report as well as being required to do some REAL community service work. Its just wrong. There is NO JUSTIFICATION for this whatsoever. It should enrage those of us who did it the right way, worked nights and paid our own bills. Oh the poor "children" were suckered into this by the evil banks. BS. I wasn't. We all know people who knowingly took the money to pay for a lot more than tuition. Nope. Pay your own bills. There are many out there who didnt or couldnt go to college and are blue collar workers at Ford or wherever who will be paying for YOUR kids Creative Dance degree. You should be ashamed to even ask.

If this insane bribe to deadbeats for a vote....if this happens, I want a chance before it passes to go back again to get additional seat time at UK or UofL with no intention of repaying the loan because I can let YOU patsies pay it for me. I might join in with the other aspiring Starbucks trainees and take useless Ancient Greek Dance classes or maybe some Gender Studies classes. I mean heck, if you chumps are going to let me do it on your dime why not?

Reactions: Lamar Card
Question for the economists: How would the economy be affected by hundreds of thousands of young adults suddenly not having to worry about student loan payments? I realize that most folks are probably not paying any in the last year or so, but the cloud is still hanging over their heads.
What subject matter did you study in college?

The only way this happen is if the UNIVERSITY in conjunction with the lending institution along with the student split the deal. NOT the taxpayer.
OK if it's a private college. But if it's a state university, it is on the taxpayer plus future students who will face even higher tuition. Who funds those universities by & large?

Why is it very few in the media complain about the salaries of the liberal professors which have a significant impact on college?

Rhetorical.

Lol. You should read up on the academic job market. Universities have begun hiring “adjunct” and associate professors, only giving tenure and true professorship to about 10% of PhDs. This has allowed them to pay less or similar for faculty in the last 15 years while increasing tuition sharply. In that time the average administration has increased by 40%. Im telling you - universities have turned into corporations and it has nothing to do with professors, where a full tenured professor on average makes 90k, makes up now a minority of faculty, and an administrator makes significantly more. They have become bloated messes with billions in unchecked, high interest loans from the government. Thinking it goes to professors is laughable.

Why is it very few in the media complain about the salaries of the liberal professors which have a significant impact on college?

Rhetorical.
I know it was rhetorical, but by my math you could pay professors $500K per year and still not have that big of an issue. The problem I see is that 1) there are way too many administrators and 2) these universities look like country clubs. Those two costs have to be driving up the cost of college.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
OK if it's a private college. But if it's a state university, it is on the taxpayer plus future students who will face even higher tuition. Who funds those universities by & large?
Their endowments. No increased funding.

Lol. You should read up on the academic job market. Universities have begun hiring “adjunct” and associate professors, only giving tenure and true professorship to about 10% of PhDs. This has allowed them to pay less or similar for faculty in the last 15 years while increasing tuition sharply. In that time the average administration has increased by 40%. Im telling you - universities have turned into corporations and it has nothing to do with professors, where a full tenured professor on average makes 90k, makes up now a minority of faculty, and an administrator makes significantly more. They have become bloated messes with billions in unchecked, high interest loans from the government. Thinking it goes to professors is laughable.
No guaranteed student loans to fund nonSTEM type classes.

They have. Research money seems to be more important than all else. They funnel the money to closet gods. Core people have become big business drivers. I worked for IU and saw lots of people who had a job. Show up once a week to an empty office space. They love people who can write grants.

I know it was rhetorical, but by my math you could pay professors $500K per year and still not have that big of an issue. The problem I see is that 1) there are way too many administrators and 2) these universities look like country clubs. Those two costs have to be driving up the cost of college.
Upside down pyramid. Lots of people occupying dead space.

They have. Research money seems to be more important than all else. They funnel the money to closet gods. Core people have become big business drivers. I worked for IU and saw lots of people who had a job. Show up once a week to an empty office space. They love people who can write grants.

I was 2 years into my PhD program (before leaving for another profession) and I remember one of my advisors asking me how things were going. I told him I loved the teaching part and research was ok. His eyes got big and he told me I better really be sure I want to go the PhD route. He said “the school gives 2 shits if you can teach, you better be able to write and bring in money”. I’ll never forget that and am very thankful he told me that honestly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT