ADVERTISEMENT

Shot Clock Violation

Originally posted by CatFanInIlliniLand:

Right after the shot clock violation, Dekker got a phantom foul call on Harrison and hit both free throws.

That 4 point stretch killed our momentum.
Here is a gif of that foul call on Aaron during crunch time. Seriously, what reasonable ref would call this as a foul?

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

Absolutely right hoodro. The ball was there between 4 of them waiting to be grabbed, and none of them. The rule is that if you have a chance to grab the ball you do it. Mental breakdown on that. If thry grab the ball the shot clock violation never comes in to play.

I went back and watched this and the light behind the backboard never lights up. You can see that in the gif as well; the clock is at 00 but no light. Perhaps that is how the refs missed it.

Originally posted by loublue22:
Originally posted by buster3.0:
If UK didn't let Wiscy grap the offensive board for a second attempt this would be a non-issue. A hustle play that Wiscy won. Giving up offensive boards to the other team has been a UK weakness all year. Despite having such a height advantage. I am sure there is a scheme reason for this.
um, the ball went out of bounds because 4 UK players let it go out of bounds. WCS did not touch the ball, so it should have been our ball. Then they were able to score after the shot clock expired. So screwed twice on one possession.
Sorry Lou, but it was very clear that WCS touched that ball. Our guys should have grabbed that ball instead of watching it.

Originally posted by ok-cats-computer:

Right after the shot clock violation, Dekker got a phantom foul call on Harrison and hit both free throws.

Here is a gif of that foul call on Aaron during crunch time. Seriously, what reasonable ref would call this as a foul?

ec
the other one was terrible too

and no one will care

Let my post die....Didn't see this one.

Why in this day and age do we still have to play games of this magnitude like we were playing 100 years ago? We have TV's, cameras, instant replays.....Seriously, every person in that stadium knew it was a shot clock violation, how is it allowed to count when it was obviously a violation?

In this day and age of all this technology, a play like that should not influence a game of this magnitude. A coach should always be allowed to challenge a bad call at any time during the game.

Wisconsin deserves credit, and probably deserved the win, but a play like that should not influence a game of this magnitude. A coach should be allowed to challenge a bad call like that at any time during the game. Heck if it is called properly we might go down and hit a 3 and be up 7 instead of up only 2.

We lost by seven, but without that "basket" they have no momentum. That was the turning point late and it should have NEVER happened. Also, remember the botched play early when Wisconsin scored and it shouldn't have counted. I'm not one to blame refs but that was the single most blatant shaft job I've ever seen in sports. Never seen such incompetence from officials on this big of a stage. Absolutely pitiful.

Originally posted by LineSkiCat:
Originally posted by hoodro:
If UK didn't let Wiscy grap the offensive board for a second attempt this would be a non-issue. A hustle play that Wiscy won. Giving up offensive boards to the other team has been a UK weakness all year. Despite having such a height advantage. I am sure there is a scheme reason for this.
um, the ball went out of bounds because 4 UK players let it go out of bounds. WCS did not touch the ball, so it should have been our ball. Then they were able to score after the shot clock expired. So screwed twice on one possession.
WCS did in fact tip the ball on the shot, but the other thing you mentioned is why it's hard for me to even be mad about the shot clock situation. Four UK players just stood there and watched the ball go out of bounds. They all could have easily secured it. The ball wasn't moving at a high rate of speed, so the fear of bobbling it out of bounds shouldn't have been there. Any one of them should have just reached out and grabbed it.
They let it go because they never thought Willie touched it, and didn't want to run the risk of bobbling the ball.

How do you not understand that.
The ball was slowly bouncing. It was closer to the players on the bounce than it was to being out of bounds. There was no risk of bobbling that ball. Reaching out and grabbing it was less of a risk than actually letting it go out of bounds not knowing who touched it last.

That is not Wisconsin's fault, why hate on them? This is completely on the referees..They sucked the entire game.

The shot clock hit zero before the Wisconsin player even grabbed the ball to shoot it.

We got cheated. I almost hope Duke whips their ass.

Harrison might have gotten him with the body on that one. Dekker's momentum to the basket did change in the air. But, it was a ticky tack foul at that juncture of the game if it was a foul.

Originally posted by LineSkiCat:
WCS did in fact tip the ball on the shot, but the other thing you mentioned is why it's hard for me to even be mad about the shot clock situation. Four UK players just stood there and watched the ball go out of bounds. They all could have easily secured it. The ball wasn't moving at a high rate of speed, so the fear of bobbling it out of bounds shouldn't have been there. Any one of them should have just reached out and grabbed it.
They let it go because they never thought Willie touched it, and didn't want to run the risk of bobbling the ball.

How do you not understand that.
The ball was slowly bouncing. It was closer to the players on the bounce than it was to being out of bounds. There was no risk of bobbling that ball. Reaching out and grabbing it was less of a risk than actually letting it go out of bounds not knowing who touched it last.
Their mistake was that they should have never given the officials the benefit of the doubt. Otherwise it was a smart play, all 4 were there, with a nanosecond, they each might have thought the other was going for it while also being cautious *thinking* it was out on Wisky anyways.

if they're going to review anything it should be situations like that...

they'll take all day to decide whether a foul is flagrant or not...but a crucial point in the game where actually points are scored and that actually could rightfully or wrongfully effect the outcome cannot be reviewed...bull crap...

scoring plays should be reviewable at all times because that is one thing that has to be right...points are what determine the game for Christ sake...

Originally posted by BleedBlue32:
We lost by seven, but without that "basket" they have no momentum. That was the turning point late and it should have NEVER happened. Also, remember the botched play early when Wisconsin scored and it shouldn't have counted. I'm not one to blame refs but that was the single most blatant shaft job I've ever seen in sports. Never seen such incompetence from officials on this big of a stage. Absolutely pitiful.
Very well said. Agree 100% with you.

Went back and looked at the video and the light indicating shot clock violation behind the backboard never lights up. Perhaps that's how the refs missed it.

Originally posted by truebluewildcat:

they'll take all day to decide whether a foul is flagrant or not...but a crucial point in the game where actually points are scored and that actually could rightfully or wrongfully effect the outcome cannot be reviewed...bull crap...

scoring plays should be reviewable at all times because that is one thing that has to be right...points are what determine the game for Christ sake...
exactly this, they'll stop the game for 10 minutes if two players look at each other funny, but heaven forbid reviewing black and white situations like a shot clock violation in a 2 point game

I don't under why that call was not reversed. They reviewed it still didn't change it. Total B S !!!

That was an awful series of miscues that created the disaster.

Cal admitted a timeout was warranted, but 3 refs and none of them had the common sense to hear the buzzer on the shot clock or see it go to zero.

That killed anything we were doing going forward.

We deserved to go home because we allowed the refs to determine the outcome.

My understanding is that it was not reviewed because it did not happen in the last 2 minutes.

However, you can review a non-call away from the ball to see if it was a flagrant foul, at any point in the game.

It all makes sense.

Originally posted by truebluewildcat:

Actually, they stopped to review the Lyles situation at the screaming request of Bo Ryan. There was no foul ever called initially. Somehow he managed to talk the refs into doing him a favor and stopping all play to use the replay to call a foul that wasn't called to begin with. I sat and yelled at the TV about it, and of course got even more fired up when they refused to look at the shot clock violation at Cal's bequest.

Since when can they just stop play because a coach screamed "he fouled my guy! check it on the replay!"

Originally posted by EERS 2 Ya:
How about that karate chop?
Posted from Rivals Mobile
I was just thinking that I can't remember West Virginia winning a National Championship in anything. Please correct me if I am wrong. Have y'all ever won a National Championship or have you always been irrelevant?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT