ADVERTISEMENT

Sam DuBose Murder

Reactions: UK-BILL
Damn, that's pretty rough. Similar to the South Carolina cop shootings. Were there two in South Carolina? The dude in the gas station and the dude in the alley? Those were both SC I think.

Regardless, if you can watch that WLW video and think the officer was in the right... I don't know what to tell you. His past has nothing to do with that incident. As does the number of children he has. Doubt he gets murder b/c of the "struggle" but I'm also not an attorney. Deserves something though because that guy didn't deserve to be killed, that's for sure.

Reactions: BristolCat
I stopped reading when you defended drunk driving...your either young or stupid or both.

Poor attempt at strawman. I never said DUI was ok. But it surely shouldnt result in an execution by police. If you cant grasp that concept, then just restrain yourself from participation. Actually, youre exactly whats wrong with this picture. Because youve been in law enforcement, you give a blanket pass to ANYTHING a fellow officer does; regardless of how wrong it is. Wrong is wrong, no matter the profession.

I don't know if they need better pay..most of their work is uneventful being ticket fairies for laws that were made out of political gain or monetary reasons for the government not actual public safety. Is not having a front license plate a huge safety concern? Apparently not since we don't require it in KY. It's another reason to get money. Police lose sight that they are public servants, not Wyatt Earp.

Theyre ticket fairies, because they use that to enforce their authority. Better candidates would be more judicious with their authority. Any decent officer wouldve handled this situation without allow this level of escalation, or just not even made the stop at all.

Why not carry a taser? It's less lethal and you will live to see another day. I could understand if the guy was reaching for something. I've seen episodes of cops where guys have done more than him, and they lived to tell about it.

Eff the court of law. Screw the right to fight a ticket in court or face your accuser for a crime. Just do what you damn well please. Don't agree with the officer pulling you over just drive off after you've had enough of the inconvenience. Damn the police.

Senseless death, nonetheless. I can't stand the police. I do what they want me to do, not because I agree with them, but because I wan't the inconvenience to be over with as soon as possible. I also can't control their actions. I can only control what I do. It's that first variable that is the most in question. It's like boxing judges. Why let someone else decide how things end. Get it over with by doing everything in your power to send them on their way. Is that last sentence what Samuel Dubose did?

It's been mentioned, but if not for the body camera, this would be another "look at his past" scenario where the cop just had to make up some BS way he felt threatened.

Also, what planet are you from where you think these people should just fight the issue in court or at a later date? They're being killed, sometimes on camera, and it's still hit or miss that something happens to the officer. How much would you trust the legal system?

To argue that noncompliance to a campus police officer makes someone responsible for being shot in the face is just beyond comprehension. Are we going to arm mall cops and let them shoot at teenagers for pulling back the curtain on the photo booth and running away?

How many of these need to happen before those of you always defending the police start to get uneasy?

Awful tragedy. No idea why he shot him, but not sure why folks don't do what they are asked to do in these situations either.

Reactions: JustinSphere
I know one thing for certain and that is if a Cop wants to pull you over, they will find a reason I remember about 20+ years ago I was driving a rental car that I had rented in Cincinnati that just happened to have Texas plates on it. Well, this little Bell County deputy pulled me over and this was in the early afternoon. and I asked him why he pulled me over and he gave me this lame thing that I was weaving. Then I said I know exactly why you pulled me over, it was because this rental car has Texas plates. He didn't say anything and I wasn't given a ticket.

Yeah, it's amazing that nothing is really being done. It seems obvious that there are problems with the way police are prosecuted, and on the other end, with the way they are trained. Rather than being open to admitting there's major issues, most police departments and unions in this country think they need to circle the wagons and complain that we don't understand how hard their job is. Of course it's hard. That doesn't mean you're allowed to be terrible at it.

If you feel like that, then you're clearly not following this case. There is lots being done. The cop was fired and charged with murder. UC already made a new rule about rules in terms of off-campus protocol. The city of Cincinnati is moving forward with getting on-person cameras. They are likely going to merge the UC police with the city of Cincinnati. The city of Cincinnati already admitted there are problems with the UC police. And it's only been 2 weeks since the murder.

So, you're wrong.

authority.jpg

What if they are in your house trying to steal from you

I call the police, go to one of several protected places in my home where I have the advantage of seeing them enter that area first, person enters said area, said person gets tazed.

I call the police, go to one of several protected places in my home where I have the advantage of seeing them enter that area first, person enters said area, said person gets tazed.

You talking hand tazer or tazer gun?

You talking hand tazer or tazer gun?

Gun I guess. Are you going to tell me they are illegal for civilians?

I have no problem with someone shooting someone in their home. The original question was would you shoot someone who is stealing and I answered no. Stealing can come under a lot of scenarios and my general sentiment is I wouldn't want to live the rest of my life thinking about how I killed someone even if it was justified by law.

Obviously I think just about anyone would in situations where they or someone else is in danger. Otherwise my property is insured.

Reactions: BristolCat
I don't understand why the video 700 WLW posted edits the video to have a slow mo replay of the shooting, which omits the portion of the video when the officer is knocked over by the car and rolling on the ground.

This video from Cincinnati.com is unedited.

I just think it's important everyone see the actual unedited video in a situation such as this. So when he isn't convicted of murder, you understand why.

I honestly can't fathom how some of you can rationalize this type of behavior from an agency that's stated mission is to protect and serve the public. The first option when someone is not compliant with a "lawful order" can't be to shoot him in the f'n head. Furthermore, I've never seen this type of situation where the officer did not clearly and authoritatively ask the suspect to please step out of the car. This officer asked him to take his seat belt off and then just went for the door handle without giving him a command to step out. That action by the officer seemed to me to be what escalated the situation, which is exactly opposite of what they're supposed to be trained to do.

We have all seen video of dozens of traffic stops before and the officer nearly always positions himself or herself away from the door, ready to act if necessary, while giving the command to step out of the vehicle. That seems to be Traffic Stop 101 for law enforcement and this guy didn't do any of that. The bottom line is officers see this kind of thing where someone is trying to skirt an issue (his driver's license) or hide something regularly on traffic stops. It should be as routine to them as a paper jam in the copier at your office.

If this would have been two guys arguing over a parking space at Walmart and the second guy shot the first guy in the head when he tried to drive off after being confronted, every poster on this board would agree that person is a murderer and that you can't shoot someone in the head for stealing your parking spot.

Honest to god I really am confused and horrified with you guys defending this. What in the holy hell are you guys talking about. I get some of you would let your wife be raped by a cop for non-compliance and not question it, but at least save it for when there isn't a video of a cop shooting a guy in his damn head. Jesus.

Best one Ive seen so far. Have no clue how anyone could watch that and come to any conclusion other than it was blatant murder. The cop is POS and deserves to get exactly whats coming to him in prison everyday for the rest of his life.

Watch the video from Cincinnati.com. It's the same clarity, but unedited.

I'm no criminal lawyer, but I'd imagine with the cop ending up being knocked over by the car and rolling on the ground, murder isn't the slam dunk everyone keeps saying it is.

And people need to come to the realization that the cop might not be guilty of the crime of murder, but a lesser crime, so we don't have riots in the streets of Cincinnati again.

Not much can be said, horrible decision and thankfully the cop is going to pay the consequences.

As I posted in who knows what other police shooting thread, it is a shame that more money/effort hasnt been put into effective dependable nonlethal weapon technology for use by our police forces. I've got a cousin who is a cop in Louisville, he & everyone he works for think present tasers suck, not something anyone trusts to stop an attacker and protect their lives. And then there have been cases where dumbasses have meant to tase a subject but instead whipped out their Glock, oops.

some tech nerds need to get on inventing real life star trek phasers set permanently to stun setting. police will be better off and so will the public.

Watch the video from Cincinnati.com. It's the same clarity, but unedited.

I'm no criminal lawyer, but I'd imagine with the cop ending up being knocked over by the car and rolling on the ground, murder isn't the slam dunk everyone keeps saying it is.

And people need to come to the realization that the cop might not be guilty of the crime of murder, but a lesser crime, so we don't have riots in the streets of Cincinnati again.

Im not sure what you see, but I see a cop shooting a guy in the head for no reason at all.

I agree that he may not get murder, but he will spend a significant amount of time in jail. And Im sure there will be riots and Ill have to stop my weekly visits to OTR for a month or 2 until it calms down. And if the cop walks, the city may burn down.

Reactions: GrandePdre
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...urder-charge-absolutely-unwarranted/30842445/

It's the second video down the page. The one of the shooter's body cam. At the 1:54 mark he is knocked to the ground and rolls around.

I also thought he shot him for no reason. But it doesn't matter what me or you think. It matters what the cop was thinking. And his claim that he thought he was going to get run over doesn't look as far fetched when you watch the unedited video.

Hey Bristol, blocks away from where Dubose was shot, someone else was shot and killed last night. Cops don't have a suspect yet. I doubt there will be any black lives matters protests.

I hope that news makes you sleep poorly tonight.

Hey Bristol, blocks away from where Dubose was shot, someone else was shot and killed last night. Cops don't have a suspect yet. I doubt there will be any black lives matters protests.

I hope that news makes you sleep poorly tonight.
This isn't about black lives or white lives. You want it to be. The media wants it to be. The African American community wants it to be. The white community wants it to be. This is about an armed authority force that can do as they please and get away with it. How many times have you seen a cop speeding? How many times have you seen a cop drive reckless and put other drivers in danger? They are above the law. This guy will get a lesser sentence than what he should. If history is any indication then he will probably walk. It's only going to get worse.

Reactions: HHKAT
I think any smart juror would see that dude only got ran over after he shot a guy in the head and his lifeless body accelerated the car moving it forward. I wouldn't buy. I can't see anything other than murder in that video.

Counter argument would be that parked cars don't move and that he put it back into drive and started on the cop.

Hope the cop goes down - because that was ridiculous - but I can see how some say not a slam dunk in court

Suppose the cop could've taken a step back if he thought his toe was going to get run over?

Nah, to hell with that, let me blow this dude's head off instead.

Reactions: jamo0001
I still say his best defense is accidental discharge and pray for involuntary manslaughter. Not that his life was in danger..... Because it wasn't in danger until a lifeless body was behind the wheel of a moving car.

yep.

Again, it's very likely that following simple orders that are of absolute minimal inconvenience would've kept these folks alive. No reason they should be dead in the first place and the cops get what they deserve hopefully, but what came first... breaking the law/not following orders or being shot?

I could absolutely give two craps about your rationalization. You can rationalize murder through non-compliance anyway you want. Its ridiculous, stupid, and needs no rationalization. There is no need to rationalize it.

"Did you hear Korea nuked Japan and killed millions??"

"Wow, they did? That's awful and Korea deserves to be punished. Wish Japan wouldn't have put a stranglehold on their trade though, but still no excuse"

"What do you mean stranglehold on their trade?"

"Well its just it crippled their economy so I guess I can see how they might have been justified,but its awful really. Korea is totally bad"

"So you are justifying the horrific act Korea did?"

"No no no, not at all! I totally think its bad Korea nuked Japan. No excuse really. But you know the whole trade embargo thing....."

Literally what you guys are doing (I know that was a totally random effing comparison), and I don't for the life of me know why the hell you're doing it. It doesn't need rationalized. It doesn't need an excuse. A man was shot in the head by a cop. A citizen, just like any of us. Why the hell are you guys rationalizing it?? What the hell is wrong with you guys? You can roll your eyes all you want, I'm rolling them right back at you.

Suppose the cop could've taken a step back if he thought his toe was going to get run over?

Nah, to hell with that, let me blow this dude's head off instead.

If that's the thought process that went through the cop's mind, he'll get convicted of murder.

This isn't about black lives or white lives. You want it to be. The media wants it to be. The African American community wants it to be. The white community wants it to be. This is about an armed authority force that can do as they please and get away with it. How many times have you seen a cop speeding? How many times have you seen a cop drive reckless and put other drivers in danger? They are above the law. This guy will get a lesser sentence than what he should. If history is any indication then he will probably walk. It's only going to get worse.

You must be living under a rock. Really, that's the only way someone could say this isn't about race.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT