ADVERTISEMENT

Rugby World Cup 2023

I was in Paris during the Rugby World Cup a few years ago. Really fun time and cool as hell to watch matches at the Eiffel Tower with a quarter million people. But good lord the British fans were the absolute worst people in the world and it really seemed like they actively trying to constantly top themselves. I heard a group of dudes call a little girl the C word when she started crying because they were banging on their table until they got more drinks. Truly never been around worse people.

Last edited:
As much as I like soccer, never been able to follow rug rules. When a line out? When a scrum? Why bother with either when side in control gets 99.9% of them anyway?

As much as I like soccer, never been able to follow rug rules. When a line out? When a scrum? Why bother with either when side in control gets 99.9% of them anyway?

Both are simply ways to restart the action. Same as when NFL starts a play with a center snap, or basketball restarts by inbounding the ball.

A scrum happens when someone fumbles forward, knocks the ball forward, or a pass goes forward. A line out happens after the ball goes into touch (out of bounds).

-I think what he's asking is about after certain penalties...opting for scrum/line out.

-Line outs are far from 99.9 percent, scrums are higher percentage than line out...but still a chance to lose possession(wheel or collapse). Like in all sports you choose what you think you are best at executing.

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
Best match yesterday was England over Argentina. England went down a player early in the first half from a red card. Still pulled out a victory playing 14 against 15. England fly half, George Ford, scored all of England's 27 points by completing 6 penalty kicks and 3 drop goals. Crazy!

Looking forward to South Africa vs Scotland today, which airs at 11:30 on CNBC.

Reactions: 80 Proof and rudd1
Biggest blowout win of the tournament so far happened yesterday when host nation France beat Namibia 96-0.

Typically I’m not very fond of running up a score like this. But rugby uses competition points to determine winners, and they use point differential as the first tiebreaker.

Best matchup of the tournament coming up the Saturday when South Africa plays Ireland.

Pool A is completed. France and New Zealand have secured spots in the playoffs.

From the other pools it appears that Ireland, South Africa, Wales and England are locks to make playoffs. Remaining two spots will be either Fiji or Australia (miraculously still alive), and either Argentina or Japan.

A couple great matchups left this weekend as pool stage wraps up. Ireland vs Scotland, and Argentina vs Japan.

The playoff rounds are now set. Fiji sneaks in as the last team with a one point loss to Portugal, but they get 1 losing competition bonus point and get in, knocking Australia out. Interesting that all four matchups will be northern hemisphere teams versus southern hemisphere.

Wales vs Argentina
Ireland vs New Zealand
England vs Fiji
France Vs South Africa

Go Springboks!

Semi finals are set for next weekend.

SEMI-FINALS.jpg

I’m pulling for England. Watched them against Fiji and they looked strong. South Africa looks scary but I think the English can take them in the semi-final. I expect the All Blacks to beat Argentina in the other semi-final. I think England then beats NZ to take the World Cup.

I'm sticking with my original pick to win it all, South Africa Springboks. They'll defeat New Zealand in the final.

I'd be OK with England winning it as I'm most familiar with their players since I mostly watch Premiership Rugby. And I'd mostly be happy for players from my favorite Premiership team, The Northampton Saints. In particular lock Courtney Lawes, playing in his 4th RWC.

Reactions: chroix
Bummed Ireland lost. They were ranked #1 for quite some time but can’t get past the quarters in the WC.

Watched the Ireland South Africa match in a pub in Loughrea Ireland. They love their team over there. Johnny Sexton is a legend. Fun Fun time. Had to laugh to myself when I tried to high five after an Ireland score and nobody knew wtf I was doing.

Didn’t think NZ could beat them. Surprised. Traditional power for sure but France ran them out early.

South Africa has defeated England 16-15 to advance to the final next weekend. Second week The Springboks with fa 1 point win, as last week they beat France by 1.

Final next Saturday at 3:00pm edt live on NBC. South Africa vs New Zealand.

Of nine previous Rugby World cups, New Zealand has three championships, South Africa three, Australia two, and England one.

We’re at halftime of the final with South Africa leading New Zealand 12-6. Big moment in first half was All Black’s flanker and captain, Sam Cane, sent off with a red card for contact with the head in a tackle. New Zealand down to 14 players for the rest of the match.

Go Springboks!

And the Rugby World Cup championship goes to South Africa. Their second consecutive, and fourth overall. They have defeated New Zealand 12-11.

Three straight matches they’ve won by just one point. They beat France by one in the quarter final, and beat England by one in semis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT