ADVERTISEMENT

Reeves gone ? Pilgrim says yes

I hope Pilgrim is successful because I enjoy podcasts about UK basketball and he’s willing to put in the time to do it. But he is a tough listen. It takes Pilgrim a really long time to convey a point. He starts and stammers a lot. Generally seems to restate every point at least 3 times using one or two different words but saying the exact same thing. Hedges almost every statement, e.g., “every single time… well most times… or usually when”

He asks a question. Then, before he will let the person respond, he goes through all the possible answers (in his mind) – plus he repeats those possible answers in two or three different ways - and then he argues for the answer he would give. By the time he finishes the “question” – if you could call it that – the listener has forgotten what the original question was.

But I expect he will get better/smoother with time.

There is no way in hell that Reeves is going to play 25 to 28 minutes a game if he stays at UK. He is a terrible defensive player. He does not handle the ball that well. He is a very inconsistent shooter. He might not get 20 minutes a game if he comes back.
This is a ridiculously dumb post. Reeves scored 37 points, on the road, at Arkansas. He took over the game and couldn’t be stopped.
How many guys in the history of UK basketball have done that? Like, 2? Again, it happened on the road in one of the toughest atmospheres to win in, but you think he sucks??? That’s next level idiocy there.

Everyone is inconsistent shooting to some of you.... But he's one of only 2 people to put up 37 on the road in the sec in the modern era for us. So there's that
I don’t really have a dog in this fight, but I want to point out that 37 points in the game you mentioned, then 5 points on 1-15 shooting in another game pretty much fits the definition of inconsistent, IMHO.

This is a ridiculously dumb post. Reeves scored 37 points, on the road, at Arkansas. He took over the game and couldn’t be stopped.
How many guys in the history of UK basketball have done that? Like, 2? Again, it happened on the road in one of the toughest atmospheres to win in, but you think he sucks??? That’s next level idiocy there.
I said that he is a very inconsistent shooter. He shot UK out of some games. You, of course, ignored his abysmal 1-15 performance against Kansas State in the tournament. You also ignored my points about Reeves poor defense and his struggles handling the ball. I didn't say he sucks. My main point is if he comes back to UK, he will have a lesser role. He won't have as much freedom to shoot the ball as much as he did last year.

He will never live down 1 for 15 and 1 for 10 from three v K-St.
He literally shot UK out of the S16 .
He literally shot UK into the second round. Or did you forget that? He’s by far our best 3 point shooter. I’d put him top 10 best 3 point shooters in the Cal era. Everyone has a bad shooting game. Literally every great shooter.

Reactions: screwduke1
I said that he is a very inconsistent shooter. He shot UK out of some games. You, of course, ignored his abysmal 1-15 performance against Kansas State in the tournament. You also ignored my points about Reeves poor defense and his struggles handling the ball. I didn't say he sucks. My main point is if he comes back to UK, he will have a lesser role. He won't have as much freedom to shoot the ball as much as he did last year.
I like how you are assuming Dillingham and Wagner will never struggle or have bad games.By the way neither is known as a good outside shooter.

I hope Pilgrim is successful because I enjoy podcasts about UK basketball and he’s willing to put in the time to do it. But he is a tough listen. It takes Pilgrim a really long time to convey a point. He starts and stammers a lot. Generally seems to restate every point at least 3 times using one or two different words but saying the exact same thing. Hedges almost every statement, e.g., “every single time… well most times… or usually when”

He asks a question. Then, before he will let the person respond, he goes through all the possible answers (in his mind) – plus he repeats those possible answers in two or three different ways - and then he argues for the answer he would give. By the time he finishes the “question” – if you could call it that – the listener has forgotten what the original question was.

But I expect he will get better/smoother with time.
He's like UK media's Kamala Harris. Takes an hour to say the same thing and often doesn't know WTF he's talking about.

It's looking once again like he would once again be our only capable outside shooter but you would be fine with him leaving.You know NOTHING about basketball.

Reactions: NociHTTP and -BBH-
I like how you are assuming Dillingham and Wagner will never struggle or have bad games.By the way neither is known as a good outside shooter.
We haven't seen them play at the college level yet. If they struggled in high school that doesn't mean their shooting cannot improve in college. The team definitely would benefit if Reeves returns. He will have a smaller role if he returns. Why some people on this board refuse to accept that fact is something I don't understand.

• Haha
Reactions: bookerfan66
We haven't seen them play at the college level yet. If they struggled in high school that doesn't mean their shooting cannot improve in college. The team definitely would benefit if Reeves returns. He will have a smaller role if he returns. Why some people on this board refuse to accept that fact is something I don't understand.
Struggled in high school making outside shots but will be much better against tougher competition in one year?You can't make this shit up.

It's looking once again like he would once again be our only capable outside shooter but you would be fine with him leaving.You know NOTHING about basketball.
This is typical of the Cal haters. When you point out an obvious fact, they get emotional and overreact. They also distort your points. I never said that I want Reeves to leave the team. I would be pleased if he returns but he will have to accept a lesser role.
We have 3 very talented freshmen guards who will be playing for Kentucky this year. Reeves will not be playing as much as he did last year. That's a simple fact unless his shooting becomes much more consistent which is unlikely. That is the only point I am making. I do know enough about basketball to know a very inconsistent shooter when I see one.

Struggled in high school making outside shots but will be much better against tougher competition in one year?You can't make this shit up.
You want the freshmen to fail because you hate the coach. Why are you so sure these freshmen will be poor shooters? I think Wagner won the 3 point shooting contest when he played in the Iverson game. You have no idea how these players are going to play this year. It's way too early to be predicting that these freshmen are going to fail.

This is typical of the Cal haters. When you point out an obvious fact, they get emotional and overreact. They also distort your points. I never said that I want Reeves to leave the team. I would be pleased if he returns but he will have to accept a lesser role.
We have 3 very talented freshmen guards who will be playing for Kentucky this year. Reeves will not be playing as much as he did last year. That's a simple fact unless his shooting becomes much more consistent which is unlikely. That is the only point I am making. I do know enough about basketball to know a very inconsistent shooter when I see one.
Reeves had 8 games out of 34 where he shot less than 25% from 3 point land. 3 of those games were a stretch straddling the turn of the New Year where he only played 15 mins per game.

He had 13 games where he shot better than 40% from 3.

I don’t find that terribly inconsistent. Seemed to me that when he got minutes he usually shot reasonably well, and was often quite hot from outside.

Now, the flip side of that is that when you play him a lot of minutes, your defense could suffer. Could it also suffer playing Dillingham lots of minutes?

I agree with the spirit of what you’re saying about the plan being for Reeves to play less minutes. However, any combination of injuries or freshman under performance could easily see Reeves minutes back in the 25+ minute range.

I mean, we have 7 guys right now. Reeves makes 8, maybe. With current construction you have to slide Bradshaw down for some minutes at the 5. Thiero and Edwards need to play some small ball 4.

Wait and see what happens if we add or return talent at the 4/5, but if all we added from here was Reeves and filler, I’ll be surprised if Reeves doesn’t get plenty of run.

the problem with the media is when one has an opinion 4 others will call it fact and all of the sudden fans are screaming "multiple sources, where there is smoke there is fire"

Reactions: saxonburgcat
If Reeves returns, he will get starter minutes, just because we need his experience.

Even if we get Livingston, Tshiebwe, and Reeves all back, he would still get starter minutes. The majority of the minutes will likely be split seven ways, with Wagner, Edwards, Dillingham, and Bradshaw getting starter minutes along with the three main returnees. Sheppard, Thiero, and Onyenso will fight for the scraps.

So I just don’t see a scenario where Reeves ends up playing less than 20 minutes a game. Even if he is a bit inconsistent, he is still the best returning shooter and brings much needed experience to the backcourt.

Ever time i think of Reeves it is one miss after another in that last game and he just kept firing away
Because he wanted to 'get his', and we didn't have a coach with enough sense to say "we might lose, but we're not going to lose via one person who can't throw it in the ocean". Lazy defense, afraid of contact, and dribbled down his leg when it really mattered. And he's STILL trying to get into the league? I'd be embarassed not coming back to make things right.

There is no way in hell that Reeves is going to play 25 to 28 minutes a game if he stays at UK. He is a terrible defensive player. He does not handle the ball that well. He is a very inconsistent shooter. He might not get 20 minutes a game if he comes back.
100% wrong. Thx for playing

You know what I find interesting?

A bit on a rearview mirror take but if you kind of knew/thought Reeves would be back and Toppin would be gone, why not give Reeves the AT&T exposure? He was better than JT last year.

If he got that commercial, highly doubt this is an issue.

I imagine that was at&t decision, not UK.

Come on, man.

Some of y’all don’t know ball. Reaves is not inconsistent as a shooter I’ve ruling stretches of time. Any 3pt shooter has cold nights. Hell Steph curry has games where he’ll shoot 2-13. It’s on cal to have other options if he’s cold

Some of y’all don’t know ball. Reaves is not inconsistent as a shooter I’ve ruling stretches of time. Any 3pt shooter has cold nights. Hell Steph curry has games where he’ll shoot 2-13. It’s on cal to have other options if he’s cold
Well...Cal isn't exactly doing that.

He literally shot UK into the second round. Or did you forget that? He’s by far our best 3 point shooter. I’d put him top 10 best 3 point shooters in the Cal era. Everyone has a bad shooting game. Literally every great shooter.
Yeah, like Murray v Indiana and Herro v Auburn and on and on….
People remember the choke jobs that get us bounced out of the Dance.
All the FTs Muhammed missed v Zona and all the ones PJ missed v K St.
This is Kentucky; horrible shooting performances that get the Cats booted dont sit well with this one and shouldnt with you either!
PS How bought my Reds sweeping Chicago w/ 23 yr old rookie McClain going 4 for 5 and now batting .380? Reds just 3 back of SF for 3rd NL WC and just 4 back of Milwaukee in the NL Central and that at just 24-29.
This team has had 70 hits in its last 5 games while going 4-1.
Time people took these guys seriously or get rolled….

I don’t really have a dog in this fight, but I want to point out that 37 points in the game you mentioned, then 5 points on 1-15 shooting in another game pretty much fits the definition of inconsistent, IMHO.
1-15 fits an anomaly description. Reeves was our best player for the majority of sec play. If it hadn't been for him We would have had no offense

Jan 7 against Alabama is when he started getting major mins. The last 20 games he scored in double figs in 17 of those. 10 being over 18 points. The dude was a player for us

Last edited:
Yeah, like Murray v Indiana and Herro v Auburn and on and on….
People remember the choke jobs that get us bounced out of the Dance.
All the FTs Muhammed missed v Zona and all the ones PJ missed v K St.
This is Kentucky; horrible shooting performances that get the Cats booted dont sit well with this one and shouldnt with you either!
PS How bought my Reds sweeping Chicago w/ 23 yr old rookie McClain going 4 for 5 and now batting .380? Reds just 3 back of SF for 3rd NL WC and just 4 back of Milwaukee in the NL Central and that at just 24-29.
This team has had 70 hits in its last 5 games while going 4-1.
Time people took these guys seriously or get rolled….
😂. Uhhhh unless you win the national championship, almost every great shooter from every team has a bad shooting performance that a lot of the time gets them bounced. So you must be saying that Jamal Murray wasn’t good enough for us. And same with anyone else that didn’t win a national title .

Reactions: cats#1again
So you’re saying that every basketball player to ever play is inconsistent… ok then. I guess you’re right

😂. Uhhhh unless you win the national championship, almost every great shooter from every team has a bad shooting performance that a lot of the time gets them bounced. So you must be saying that Jamal Murray wasn’t good enough for us. And same with anyone else that didn’t win a national title .

That's what our fans say about all of caliparis freshmen one and done.

They ignore the same logic for players like mashburn, issel, prince, Bogan, Hayes, nash, bowie, etc. For some reason losing multiple years and not winning a national title is a thing to be revered but one year it isn't.

To be clear, I don't buy that logic for any of them.

This statement just proves how little cal prioritizes shooting.

I want reeves back because the cupboard is bare, but the fact that uk NEEDS him back is pathetic.

1-15 fits an anomaly description. Reeves was our best player for the majority of sec play. If it hadn't been for him We would have had no offense

Jan 7 against Alabama is when he started getting major mins. The last 20 games he scored in double figs in 17 of those. 10 being over 18 points. The dude was a player for us
That is a much better argument for consistency.

Citing a 37 point game after someone talks about a 5 point game didn’t help your argument against inconsistency.

You just changed what you said. You didn't say he was inconsistent, you said he couldn't dribble, or defend and there was no way he was getting 28 mpg in 23/24. Now look atcha, you're doing what you always do, which is try to convince everyone that you said something different, when you know what you actually said is still shown in the thread.

I didn’t ignore what Reeves did in the KSU game, he shot poorly, but tell me another game where he shot us out of it. I'll wait. Cal kept him on the bench so he could play Wheeler most of the year, how much did he actually hurt the team from the bench?

But also, you could blame Reeves for the KSU loss, OR you could blame our overall poor defense. I mean, Cal tried to trap the fastest pg in the tournament, out by the time line, with two bigs and he did it twice. Kid scored a layup each time.

Also, if you are going to attack Reeves, I guess you might as well go ahead and attack Wall, Knight, Lamb (2011), Randle, Twins (2014, twins (2015) Murray, Ulis (2016), SGA, Hagans (2019), PJ Washington (2018 missed free throws) and PJ Washington again (2019 missed free throws). All those players choked too, but you would gladly take all of them in a UK jersey. But for some reason, Reeves is different.

See, you're assuming all these freshmen are going to live up to expectations. At what point are you going to stop falling for the hype?

I bet you thought Whitney, Boston, Clarke and Askew were going to be great too. They were all hyped up to be these great players, then they came in and struggled. Askew and BJB were nowhere near UK caliber and Mintz was better than both of them, but you would have guaranteed he would never be a better UK player before the season in 20/21.

This team needs veterans, a bunch of HS players aren't going to do squat at this level without veteran help.

Reactions: deep3
You want the freshmen to fail because you hate the coach. Why are you so sure these freshmen will be poor shooters? I think Wagner won the 3 point shooting contest when he played in the Iverson game. You have no idea how these players are going to play this year. It's way too early to be predicting that these freshmen are going to fail.
LOL, Isaiah Briscoe won the 3pt shooting contest too. How did that translate to his time at UK?

He was awful but there is no sweet 16 if not for him
Hell we probably arent even a tournament team at all without him. Yes he stunk in the game against Kansas State but he is a guy capable of making 3 to 5 threes a game sometimes. You have to have someone like that on your team in today's age.

Everything since 2015 has been a failed experiment
2019 great team. Lost in overtime in the E8 game. ‘20 great team. Win the SEC by 3 games. Didn’t get to show what they could do.

‘21 was just awful.

‘22 was a 2 seed.

‘23 overachieved.

‘24 is yet to be seen. But I expect greatness.

If that’s a “shot show” in your book then you just need a new book.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT