ADVERTISEMENT

Reeves Back! - source

MdWIldcat55

All-American
Dec 9, 2007
Travis Branham tweet.

NEWS: Kentucky guard Antonio Reeves moved into his dorm last night and is expected to return to Kentucky for the 2023-24 season, a source tells
@247Sports
Well, that changes things now, don't it boys? Getting out my copy of the Arkansas game to watch tonight -- burned the KSU game.

Add one more experienced front court player and suddenly things are looking a whole lot different, with the Best Recruiting class maybe of all time, two very promising young players in Thiero and Onyenso, the team's most explosive scorer in Reeves and maybe physical phenom Cyril...

Last edited:
I'd put Wagner Reeves and Edwards up against anyone's top 3.

Duke - Roach McCain Proctor
UNC - Cadeau Davis Ingram
Tennessee - Vescovi James Knecht
UConn - Newton Spencer Castle
MSU - Hoggard Walker Akins
KU - Harris McCullar Timberlake
Zona - Boswell Love Larsson
USC - Collier Ellis Johnson
Zags - Nembhard Smith Venters

The guy didn't want to be here, and Kentucky was his parachute. Now there could be issues with min promised or expected. IMO, this could lead to Wheeler 2.0. I like Reeves, but not sure this is worth the gamble with a young team, chemistry wise.
The problem with comparing Reeves to Wheeler is that Reeves was actually productive when he gained minutes (for the most part). Wheeler was a liability the more he played.

Plus, Reeves was often-times instant offense. This team will need that. Wheeler gave us almost nothing.

Last edited:
The problem with comparing Reeves to Wheeler, is that Reeves was actually productive when he gained minutes (for the most part). Wheeler was a liability the more he played.

Plus, Reeves was often-times instant offense. This team will need that. Wheeler gave us almost nothing.
True. Solid point. I'm just concerned. I know we need shooters and bodies. But this wasn't my favorite option. I do hope it works out though!

I like his game, and I'm not going to blame him for having a bad one in the tourney. I just hope the wishy-washy-ness doesn't lead to any locker room issues. Hope he's all in. If we get Somto, which is expected, this is a pretty good roster no?
Still would have wanted an experienced big. Can Ugo and Somto sufficiently man the 5? Is Bradshaw hurt or not?

Reactions: ganner918
True. Solid point. I'm just concerned. I know we need shooters and bodies. But this wasn't my favorite option. I do hope it works out though!
The good news is that Reeves has already been told that Wagner, Edwards, and Bradshaw are the team's top options. Reeves is returning to UK with a full understanding of his role as a 4th option and leader.

The guy didn't want to be here, and Kentucky was his parachute. Now there could be issues with min promised or expected. IMO, this could lead to Wheeler 2.0. I like Reeves, but not sure this is worth the gamble with a young team, chemistry wise.

I have no clue what NBA feedback was for Reeves but seems to me the best thing he could do is buy into team concept and make a run in NCAAT as a glue guy, complimentary piece ala Darius Miller. No one viewed Miller as an NBA player until after that run.

This excites me and gives me more hope for next year. I'm glad AR came back and with that guy in the lineup, he will spread the court and make things so much easier for Edwards, Wagner and Dillingham.

This is great news.
I genuinely hope you're right. Just seemed like he tried real hard not to play for Kentucky. Concerns me.

The guy didn't want to be here, and Kentucky was his parachute.
With 1,500 players entering the Portal (think about it -- that's an average of FIVE players for 300 TEAMS) apparently nobody wanted to be anywhere. How is Reeves coming back to Kentucky more evidence that he "didn't want to be here" than the many hundreds of players who actually left their teams?

Might as well get used to the fact that in the era of open transfers and NIL every player is going to test his options. As a fan, the option is to accept that or stop following the sport.

I genuinely hope you're right. Just seemed like he tried real hard not to play for Kentucky. Concerns me.
Well, I can only speculate, because I don't know what was said between Cal and AR, but I can understand why AR would want to go where he wouldn't have to sit behind freshmen in his final year. I wouldn't want to sit behind freshmen when I proved I can take games over at this level.

I'm glad he's back.

With 1,500 players entering the Portal (think about it -- that's an average of FIVE players for 300 TEAMS) apparently nobody wanted to be anywhere. How is Reeves coming back to Kentucky more evidence that he "didn't want to be here" than the many hundreds of players who actually left their teams?

Might as well get used to the fact that in the era of open transfers and NIL every player is going to test his options. As a fan, the option is to accept that or stop following the sport.
The testing the waters or greener grass isn't the issue. I don't begrudge anyone looking around. Just seems like there was some pretty lengthy exploration. IMO, felt like Kentucky was a last resort, and I find it a little concerning with this team in particular.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade.

Travis Branham tweet.

NEWS: Kentucky guard Antonio Reeves moved into his dorm last night and is expected to return to Kentucky for the 2023-24 season, a source tells
@247Sports
Well, that changes things now, don't it boys? Getting out my copy of the Arkansas game to watch tonight -- burned the KSU game.

Add one more experienced front court player and suddenly things are looking a whole lot different, with the Best Recruiting class maybe of all time, two very promising young players in Thiero and Onyenso, the team's most explosive scorer in Reeves and maybe physical phenom Cyril...
Best post you’ve ever made

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
I love the news. If we sign a veteran front court player and somto I'm happy. Bradshaw mysterious injury is what it is. Can't control it.

Yep.

I don’t think many folks on this board realize just how poor a defensive player Reeves is. If Dilly and Reed can match his offensive production and play better defense, then Reeves will find himself where Wheeler did.

I was really hoping dude wouldn’t return.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT