ADVERTISEMENT

Northern Lights tonight

Magnetic field is weakening. We'll be able to see more and more aurora in the south. Magnetic pole is also shifting toward Rus faster and faster too. Nasa is warning that gps will be affected and other services may be affected too.

file-20190517-69192-1liuaqx.png

Earth's magnetic field is fading. Today it is about 10 percent weaker than it was when German mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss started keeping tabs on it in 1845, scientists say. If the trend continues, the field may collapse altogether and then reverse. Compasses would point south instead of north.

Earth's Magnetic Field Is Fading - National Geographic

What’s incredible is that I turned and looked towards the south and saw pinkish / crimson colors about 30 degrees above the horizon. The stars were all fuzzy and blurry from all the magnetic activity.
Yeah it's actually better to the South where I'm at too.

I had to drag my sweatpants back out because I was in shorts and that wasn't working.

They were faintly visible with my phone here in South Florida. One of my neighbors was taking a late evening walk and asked me why I was taking a pic of in the sky. It blowed/blew his mind when I showed him.
I've only seen them twice, maybe three times in my life in Ky. I would think you've seen a pretty rare event for Florida.

Last edited:
I didn't know you could be too far north to see the Northern Lights. I have a friend in the military that took 2 trips to Northern Alaska and another in the fall this year on a government pork project to help some Eskimo community of between 598 and 602 people.

• Wow
Reactions: AustinTXCat
Was in Chicago last night and saw nothing, the irony of if I was in St Pete I would’ve seen some lights, is ripe.

What’s incredible is that I turned and looked towards the south and saw pinkish / crimson colors about 30 degrees above the horizon. The stars were all fuzzy and blurry from all the magnetic activity.
Did the same. I told my wife that the moon was illuminating on some clouds and the sky looked a little pinkish. LOL, had no clue it was Northern Lights. At least I wasn't just seeing things.

I didn't know you could be too far north to see the Northern Lights. I have a friend in the military that took 2 trips to Northern Alaska and another in the fall this year on a government pork project to help some Eskimo community of between 598 and 602 people.
I'm sure you are aware that you can't be too far north to commit murder. 602 to 598 sounds like a small town population within 48 hours of you visiting.

Reactions: hmt5000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT