ADVERTISEMENT

Random: Is military pay taxed?

SosaUK1987

Freshman
Jul 19, 2023
I was wondering about troops stationed in California compared to Alabama or wherever. Thanks.

They do but I think it’s more complicated than us civilians.
their pay is taxed federally. State tax is not determined by where you are stationed. Each solider has a state he has declared and he is taxed by that state's rate regardless of what state he is living in. For example, I was a TX resident and never paid state tax wherever I was stationed.

Yes, my pay was taxed when I served in the Air Force such as Social Security & Medicare taken out. State taxes are based on your home of record which was Tennessee for me at the time. If you are stationed for example at Travis Air Force Base in California but your home of record is in another state, you still pay home of record state's taxes. Even if you have an apartment in CA or live in base housing. Active Duty military pay is exempt in Kentucky & TN. Not exempt from federal taxes. There are combat zone tax exclusions if you are deployed. If you re-enlist in a combat zone, SRB selective re-enlistment bonus, then any bonuses you may get would be tax free if you meet the criteria.

Last edited:
Reactions: SosaUK1987
Yes, my pay was taxed when I served in the Air Force such as Social Security & Medicare taken out. State taxes are based on your home of record which was Tennessee for me at the time. If you are stationed for example at Travis Air Force Base in California but your home of record is in another state, you still pay home of record state's taxes. Even if you have an apartment in CA or live in base housing. Active Duty military pay is exempt in Kentucky & TN. Not exempt from federal taxes. There are combat zone tax exclusions if you are deployed. If you re-enlist in a combat zone, SRB selective re-enlistment bonus, then any bonuses you may get would be tax free if you meet the criteria.

I'm assuming that changed after I got out of the Air Force in 95. I always had Kentucky as my home state and am pretty sure I paid KY state tax on my income my 4 years in. It's been nearly 30 years and my memory isn't as good as it once was so I could be remembering wrong. I do remember guys that were from Florida or had been stationed there and made it their home state that had no state tax coming out of their checks.

I've been out for 10 years, but when I was in it worked like this.

Base pay was taxed for federal income tax and the state income tax on the state of my residence. You could declare residence for any state you lived in. So, when people would get stationed in Texas or Florida, they would usually become residents because there was no state income tax there. I was a Tennessee resident when I was commissioned, so I never paid state income tax.

Allowances for housing and food were not taxed at all. That made up probably 30-40% of my compensation. Hazardous duty pay was not taxed either.

When I was deployed, I don't think any of my income (including base pay) was taxed at all.

I'm assuming that changed after I got out of the Air Force in 95. I always had Kentucky as my home state and am pretty sure I paid KY state tax on my income my 4 years in. It's been nearly 30 years and my memory isn't as good as it once was so I could be remembering wrong. I do remember guys that were from Florida or had been stationed there and made it their home state that had no state tax coming out of their checks.
Started on January 1, 2010.

Reactions: KyCatFan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT