ADVERTISEMENT

Is Barnhart making the hire himself?

bnewt

All-SEC
May 29, 2001
Just wondering if there is a committee to help decide who to offer, or is Barnhart working alone? Last time there was a committee, with Mike Pratt. With his passing, just wondered who would be taking his place

There's sometimes a few admins involved but ADs typically hire what's called a "search firm" to help conduct the search. They are a 3rd party company that has connections to all of the agents of coaches around the country (even assistant coaches usually have agents) and they have deep relationships with these agents and agencies, as well as the coaches- and they provide guidance and consulting, as well as gauge interest so that the school/AD doesn't look bad and get turned down a bunch.

Sort of like in middle school when you send your buddy to tell a girl you like them and ask if she likes you back.

Typically, coaches will align themselves closer with one particular search firm, and when a school hires that search firm, they become A LOT more likely to get the gig.

Boosters are usually kept up to date but only a couple would actually be listened to.

But to my knowledge, Mitch did not use a search firm for the WBB hire and has not retained one for the MBB hire either.

Which is RARE- and says a lot about his confidence in the process (and just because he is confident, doesn't mean it will ultimately be the right path, but rather the path that HE wants to take).

But no one show this post to @Battle_Cat because according to him apparently I have no clue how these things work...even though I am pretty intimately aware of these searches around the country...very, very aware.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildcats1st
There's sometimes a few admins involved but ADs typically hire what's called a "search firm" to help conduct the search. They are a 3rd party company that has connections to all of the agents of coaches around the country (even assistant coaches usually have agents) and they have deep relationships with these agents and agencies, as well as the coaches- and they provide guidance and consulting, as well as gauge interest so that the school/AD doesn't look bad and get turned down a bunch.

Sort of like in middle school when you send your buddy to tell a girl you like them and ask if she likes you back.

Typically, coaches will align themselves closer with one particular search firm, and when a school hires that search firm, they become A LOT more likely to get the gig.

Boosters are usually kept up to date but only a couple would actually be listened to.

But to my knowledge, Mitch did not use a search firm for the WBB hire and has not retained one for the MBB hire either.

Which is RARE- and says a lot about his confidence in the process (and just because he is confident, doesn't mean it will ultimately be the right path, but rather the path that HE wants to take).

But no one show this post to @Battle_Cat because according to him apparently I have no clue how these things work...even though I am pretty intimately aware of these searches around the country...very, very aware.

To follow up on my post above ^^

For instance, and to make this a bit more relatable to current talks- all of Baylor's staff under Scott Drew over the years are linked to the same search firm- one that Drew has a family connection with and it's been that way for YEARS.

Guess which schools have hired that exact search firm in recent years to help conduct the coaching search?

Kansas State
Texas Tech
Florida Atlantic

All 3 of those schools hired candidates with something in common. They all worked for Scott Drew at Baylor.

These things are a spider-web and go so much deeper than most people realize for why certain guys get certain jobs.

But again, don't mention this to @Battle_Cat - he knows way more about this than me for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT