ADVERTISEMENT

Ramsey on Calipari on Gohlke lol

It's not insanely efficient FOR HIM. Jesus man, that's not hard to understand. At team that shoots 37% that shoots 50% one night isn't "insanely efficient", they just had a good night. Two more makes above his average isn't "insanely efficient".

Yes it is. Speaking of dumb. Part of the job of the defense is TO MAKE SURE THE SHOOTERS DON'T GET THE SHOTS. Good lord, you need to be on the fat poser's staff. You'd fit right in.
32 points from one guy shouldn't be enough to beat this team, just like 40 from Knecht wasn't.

If their gameplan was let Gohlke shoot 20 3s, honestly, we should have been ecstatic. We just bungled the other side of the game. You can keep focusing on the one guy having a great game and ignore the other stuff. Guys going off like that happens from time to time. Completely overhauling your offense where you aren't involving your best players because you think you can outsmart The Zone you so despise, is the kinda hubris that got us beat. Not a single guy going nuts.

Attention to detail and having players prepared for the other team is part of the coaching responsibilities. Winning the SEC and getting past the first round is a standard that has taken a huge dip. He has obviously put the NBA draft and individual players’ concerns above winning and proper coaching. He said that he will not change his goals and even getting more physical players in is not going to fix the problems inherent in the program.

I will support Kentucky basketball no matter who coaches. That doesn’t change my opinion that Calipari needs to move on - for his benefit and for the UK programs benefit.
He is still the head of the program and is not getting it done…

He went 10-20...it's not like he had some insane night for efficiency. The better question is how'd he get 20 shots off. The "gameplan" wasn't there until he hit his first few. And then the highly intelligent decision was to trail him over every screen. Switch? Nope. Hedge? Nope. Reroute? Negative. Bump? Nada. Just trail. Fat poser.
32 points on 20 shots is the exact definition of insane efficiency.

I remember in one radio (?) interview a few years back, Cal mocking fans whose level of fandom took them to scouting opponents. Apparently one Bennie told him he (the Bennie) needed to get ready and prep for the game. I could hear the sneering in Cal’s voice saying, “Oh YOU’VE got to get ready for this game? YOU?!?!”

Cal’s demeaning nature toward good-hearted fans that have invested in and love UK basketball so much that they go the extra mile to even scout opponents was astounding to me! He should instead be grateful and create a “Benny Box” where avid fans can drop their suggestions online so the coaching staff can get some scouting assistance, for crying out loud! It’s clear the staff is failing in this area, let fans who care this much submit their research.

I honestly don't believe Cal watched a singe second of Oakland basketball before that game had tipped. Probably just read a scouting report from ESPN.com.
Does anyone realize that they should have had as much scouting information as they wanted but Cal probably did the same thing he always does......we need to play our game and not worry about the other team.

Oakland plays in the Horizon League
Northern Kentucky plays in the Horizon League
NKU's coach is Darrin Horn.
One of our walk-on's is Walker Horn. Darrin's son.

"Walker why is your Dad calling me so much??""

Reactions: SemperFiCat
32 points from one guy shouldn't be enough to beat this team, just like 40 from Knecht wasn't.

If their gameplan was let Gohlke shoot 20 3s, honestly, we should have been ecstatic. We just bungled the other side of the game. You can keep focusing on the one guy having a great game and ignore the other stuff. Guys going off like that happens from time to time. Completely overhauling your offense where you aren't involving your best players because you think you can outsmart The Zone you so despise, is the kinda hubris that got us beat. Not a single guy going nuts.
A team like Oakland shouldn't have any dude score 32 on what is supposedly one of the best teams in the country. Comparing Knecht/Tennessee to Gohlke/Oakland is just insane. Sounds like excuses that comes from the pumpers. It's just the kind of stuff fans have come to think and expect under this fat poser.

I totally agree with you, the approach on offense was awful too. Like horridly bad.

Here's the thing, BOTH letting Gohlke get 20 3s off and trying to rock fight through the post on offense caused the loss. Any of the two don't happen and the Cats probably win. Having an effective plan on both sides of the ball (kind of the expectation for $9M annually) would've lead to a 30 point win.

A team like Oakland shouldn't have any dude score 32 on what is supposedly one of the best teams in the country. Comparing Knecht/Tennessee to Gohlke/Oakland is just insane. Sounds like excuses that comes from the pumpers. It's just the kind of stuff fans have come to think and expect under this fat poser.

I totally agree with you, the approach on offense was awful too. Like horridly bad.

Here's the thing, BOTH letting Gohlke get 20 3s off and trying to rock fight through the post on offense caused the loss. Any of the two don't happen and the Cats probably win. Having an effective plan on both sides of the ball (kind of the expectation for $9M annually) would've lead to a 30 point win.
It's not comparing the players in quality or anything, it's simple if a team wants to put all their eggs in one basket, typically that's a good thing for a defense. One guy isn't going to beat you the vast majority of the time.

Even with the atrocities that occurred on offense, we still almost won. If we just played a standard approach we win by 10+ even if we didn't change anything on defense. And I'm absolutely going to focus on that more because we already had the evidence that this team wasn't good on defense.

Why would we get mad at that? What we should be mad at is coach taking away our avenue to victory.

In an ideal world you have a great offense and a great defense, that's gonna give you the best way to win.

But it's not the only way to win. If you can prevent teams with high level offense from scoring and win in the 60s and 70s, that's an approach.

If you can beat a team 96-88, because you can't defend but you're gonna say I can score more than you, that's an approach.

But instead, what we did was, hamstring our offense with a dumb game plan, with a team we knew wasn't great on defense. And that is not an approach.

For those of you who don't already follow Ramsey on Twitter (X) - I highly recommend it. He always has pre-game analysis of our opponents, with specific details to opponent's strengths, and players to keep an eye on. If the coaching staff put in this level of commitment and attention to detail for each game, we'd probably be looking at a very different situation right now. Scouting matters. Understanding game schemes and tendencies matters.

Imagine Belichick or any football coach who has no desire to see what offense or defense another team runs and simply focuses on your own playbook.

This has been an issue for at least a decade. He has to go.
Yes he does.
Listened to Matt Jones a bit in the car to see what they said about Cal following the radio show. Along those lines, they said a UK player was asked about a certain elite player UK was facing (wouldn't name him), and the UK player had never heard of him.

• Angry
Reactions: Wildcat Sheli
For those of you who don't already follow Ramsey on Twitter (X) - I highly recommend it. He always has pre-game analysis of our opponents, with specific details to opponent's strengths, and players to keep an eye on. If the coaching staff put in this level of commitment and attention to detail for each game, we'd probably be looking at a very different situation right now. Scouting matters. Understanding game schemes and tendencies matters.
I've followed him for a while. He is excellent. Always been very supportive of Cal but even he's seeing the utter dysfunction now.

Scouting matters. Understanding game schemes and tendencies matters.
Indeed it does! Even if a team is uber-talented or good on their own, it always pays to be prepared and know your opponent! I believe we’d have several more championships by now if we’d been better prepared. (And no, Cal, talent clearly does not “win every time!”)

More proof how we scout teams has to change. We need someone hungry that is up at 5am watching tape. Ideally that's your head coach Pitino Hurley are notorious for this.
This board knew more about him than cal did. We had threads discussing how we would defend him and how many 3’s he would end up hitting. The coaching Malpractice displayed by cal is a never ending saga.

Reactions: Wildcat Sheli
32 points on 20 shots is the exact definition of insane efficiency.
That's fair. I was more pointing out a guy shooting 20 3s and making 2 shots over his average isn't insanely efficient. But I'd agree with your statement. Point being, it's not like the dude went off. Cal's D allowed him to get 20 shots and he made about 2 shots above his average.

It's not comparing the players in quality or anything, it's simple if a team wants to put all their eggs in one basket, typically that's a good thing for a defense. One guy isn't going to beat you the vast majority of the time.
FFS dude. Kentucky talent shouldn't have to allow anyone on Oakland to get theirs. They should be able to stop all of them. Knecht and Tennessee, that's a tad different story.

Even with the atrocities that occurred on offense, we still almost won. If we just played a standard approach we win by 10+ even if we didn't change anything on defense. And I'm absolutely going to focus on that more because we already had the evidence that this team wasn't good on defense.

Why would we get mad at that? What we should be mad at is coach taking away our avenue to victory.

In an ideal world you have a great offense and a great defense, that's gonna give you the best way to win.

But it's not the only way to win. If you can prevent teams with high level offense from scoring and win in the 60s and 70s, that's an approach.

If you can beat a team 96-88, because you can't defend but you're gonna say I can score more than you, that's an approach.

But instead, what we did was, hamstring our offense with a dumb game plan, with a team we knew wasn't great on defense. And that is not an approach.
Brother, the Cats didn't rebound enough to score the number of points you wanted scored. Gotta have the ball to score.

He went 10-20...it's not like he had some insane night for efficiency. The better question is how'd he get 20 shots off. The "gameplan" wasn't there until he hit his first few. And then the highly intelligent decision was to trail him over every screen. Switch? Nope. Hedge? Nope. Reroute? Negative. Bump? Nada. Just trail. Fat poser.
50% on 20 shots is insane efficiency.

That's fair. I was more pointing out a guy shooting 20 3s and making 2 shots over his average isn't insanely efficient. But I'd agree with your statement. Point being, it's not like the dude went off. Cal's D allowed him to get 20 shots and he made about 2 shots above his average.
You are correct, it’s obvious Cal has no plan like usual. The fact he let the one dude beat us who everyone knew would shoot is crazy.

FFS dude. Kentucky talent shouldn't have to allow anyone on Oakland to get theirs. They should be able to stop all of them. Knecht and Tennessee, that's a tad different story.

Brother, the Cats didn't rebound enough to score the number of points you wanted scored. Gotta have the ball to score.
Just gonna disagree with you here. If we start Z, Tre, Reeves, Rob, and Reed. Run some PnR stuff with Rob and Z, let Reed shoot off some screens like Gohlke did, just in general have our best guys out there and get off to a good start I think we blow em out.

Letting a team like that feel good about themselves and our young guys start to have doubts in their head And get the butt pucker leads to what happened. You gotta put them in their place early, and you can't do that if you don't start your best guys and focus on getting your best guys shots.

Just gonna disagree with you here. If we start Z, Tre, Reeves, Rob, and Reed. Run some PnR stuff with Rob and Z, let Reed shoot off some screens like Gohlke did, just in general have our best guys out there and get off to a good start I think we blow em out.

Letting a team like that feel good about themselves and our young guys start to have doubts in their head And get the butt pucker leads to what happened. You gotta put them in their place early, and you can't do that if you don't start your best guys and focus on getting your best guys shots.
Oh hell, you'll never get me to disagree about that. My biggest issue with the fat poser over the course of the season was his refusal to play the lineups the data says to play. That alone should be cause for his dismissal. It literally was the reason this team failed.

Reactions: crestcat
I think our gameplan to contain him was pretty decent. I don't think 37% typically warrants a game plan around a single guy. The guy just went nuclear...

I'm waaaaaaaay more concerned with how we tried to change the offense to run through the post like that was the way to win. Like changing the offense that drastically with a bunch of freshmen was the idea. Getting 2 of your 3 best players only 1 shot each in the first half. Running nothing to get Rob or Reed settled in.

In the NFL there is the concept of settling in your QB, especially for rookies, especially in their first playoff games. Let them see some catches. Screens, flats, quick slants etc... Get them established, get them comfortable. 2 shots total for 2 of your best players is ridiculous.

The defense was bad all year, we needed to lean into destroying teams on the other end, that was the play.

Relying on Tre and Ugo to start the game, when both have been MIA for over a month was one of the worst coaching decisions I've ever seen.
Tre started due to being a homecoming game for him. Cal makes dumb decisions that aren't based whatsoever on winning.

Yeah no argument there. Just a frustrating game to watch. It’s like Cal didn’t even know Gohlke could shoot.

Tre started due to being a homecoming game for him. Cal makes dumb decisions that aren't based whatsoever on winning.
I don't mind starting Tre there. I would have went Z, Tre, RRR. Tre had been good against zones earlier in the year. I just had fault with trying to use him and Ugo as the primary options to start the game. But I def think Tre in the middle with his passing ability could have helped when you have 4 other capable shooters on the floor.

Reactions: WildcatNC
I don't mind starting Tre there. I would have went Z, Tre, RRR. Tre had been good against zones earlier in the year. I just had fault with trying to use him and Ugo as the primary options to start the game. But I def think Tre in the middle with his passing ability could have helped when you have 4 other capable shooters on the floor.
November Tre would have been great there sure. Unfortunately he was never that dude again.

If we at least got the rebounding you'd expect from 2 bigs we'd have won anyway, but the team was so soft and undisciplined it didn't matter.

November Tre would have been great there sure. Unfortunately he was never that dude again.

If we at least got the rebounding you'd expect from 2 bigs we'd have won anyway, but the team was so soft and undisciplined it didn't matter.
/Shrug

Tre ended up with a good game, we just didn't get anything from Reed and hardly anything from Rob til we were in such a bind it was basically Rob go try to save us. I think getting them into the game early would have made all the difference. Each guy shoulda had at least 4-5 shots in first half.

Reactions: WildcatNC and jof2
Exactly.

This is The University of Kentucky. ANY excuses made for letting LOW level schools beating us is just ANOTHER example of how far our program has fallen under our carpetbagging coach!!

So much for “The Gold Standard”.

SAD
Not sure where you got the idea that I was making excuses, I wasn't. But, trashing a lower tier D1 program isn't exactly the way to make a point that UK failed miserably unless you are Greg Sankey. Oh, those programs don't belong. Meanwhile the mighty SEC falls apart playing mighty Yale, for one.

BTW, when did you change your mind about Cal's life time contract?

The fact this lazy, blabbing moron can extract 9 million from his employer and have supporters left is just astonishing.

Reactions: Eagles_Ball
Not sure where you got the idea that I was making excuses, I wasn't. But, trashing a lower tier D1 program isn't exactly the way to make a point that UK failed miserably unless you are Greg Sankey. Oh, those programs don't belong. Meanwhile the mighty SEC falls apart playing mighty Yale, for one.

BTW, when did you change your mind about Cal's life time contract?
What was there to “change”? It’s ridiculous and Mitch needs to be held accountable for it MORE than Cal!!!

And pointing out the fact that UK should NEVER lose to schools like St Peters and Oakland is NOT “trashing” the little school.

Last edited:
TEN out of TWENTY three pointers from one player is both INSANE and EFFICIENT for point production!!!!

Thirty points on twenty 3-point shots in thirty-six minutes.......
.83-points scored per every minute played from 3-ponit line​
One 3-point attempt for every 1-minute and 48-seconds played​
One 3-point made for every 3-minutes and 36-seconds played​
Gohlke effectively scored 15-20 from inside the 3-point line in points, a proactive BOX and ONE!!!!!

From 13:52 until 1:55 (11-minutes/ 57-seconds) of the first half Gohlke scored 21-points by himself, UK scored 28-points as a team during that time!!!!

Reactions: Lempface
Gohlke didn't win the game. UK not hitting shots lost the game. Normally we hit BETTER against a zone than we shoot against a man-to-man.

What was there to “change”? It’s ridiculous and Mitch needs to be held accountable for it MORE than Cal!!!

And pointing out the fact that UK should NEVER lose to schools like St Peters and Oakland is NOT “trashing” the little school.
1) The poster I replied to originally called both schools D-2. That is trashing them.

2) I was researching how fans received the life time contract at the time it was given. I saw your post from April 1, 2019:

"Cal is a competitor that wants to be the best AND wants to leave a legacy. I have ZERO doubt that a lifetime contract will not change this.

Those critics that keep referring to his statement upon arriving here that he “wanted to catch UCLA in championships” should tell everyone how competitive he is.

This contract will keep the other schools from constantly telling recruits that Cal has one foot out the door here. Now let’s get going for next year!!"

1) The poster I replied to originally called both schools D-2. That is trashing them.

2) I was researching how fans received the life time contract at the time it was given. I saw your post from April 1, 2019:

"Cal is a competitor that wants to be the best AND wants to leave a legacy. I have ZERO doubt that a lifetime contract will not change this.

Those critics that keep referring to his statement upon arriving here that he “wanted to catch UCLA in championships” should tell everyone how competitive he is.

This contract will keep the other schools from constantly telling recruits that Cal has one foot out the door here. Now let’s get going for next year!!"

That Cal is GONE.

I wanted the Cal that we hired 15 years ago. The Lifetime contract did something to Cal that I thought at the time would NEVER happen, that he would quit actually teaching the game, become beholden to the players entourages, use excuses for every shortcoming and belittle all of the traditions of UK.Basketball while allowing his innovative reputation to be torn down in the process.

He has actually betrayed himself as much as he has UK Basketball which is the BIGGEST head scratcher in this whole situation.

Did YOU think that 5 years ago when he signed that contract, that he would QUIT and become the LAZY SLOB he is today???!

He certainly fooled me and many others.

That Cal is GONE.
That Cal is truly gone. Some are hoping that particular Cal will return but there is nothing to suggest that he will. The best thing Mitch can do is push Cal out the door similar to what he did to Tubby or even a direct termination.

I came out of retirement as a "transitional specialist" to help a non-profit get back on their feet after 3 straight bad leaders had failed. All of them tried to do pretty much what their predecessor did. It didn't work. All I did was come in and change the culture of leadership and everything turned around.

Mitch needs to understand that the ONLY way to turn the ship around is to replace the head coach. Everything else, IMO, is window dressing. If he doesn't do it, we will be back here in a year having this same discussion again.

Reactions: catben
I myself would have ran a trap on him everytime he touched the ball. Pitino style.. guard his first pass out of it.

That Cal is truly gone. Some are hoping that particular Cal will return but there is nothing to suggest that he will. The best thing Mitch can do is push Cal out the door similar to what he did to Tubby or even a direct termination.

I came out of retirement as a "transitional specialist" to help a non-profit get back on their feet after 3 straight bad leaders had failed. All of them tried to do pretty much what their predecessor did. It didn't work. All I did was come in and change the culture of leadership and everything turned around.

Mitch needs to understand that the ONLY way to turn the ship around is to replace the head coach. Everything else, IMO, is window dressing. If he doesn't do it, we will be back here in a year having this same discussion again.
At that time I had not read the buyout either. The “Lifetime Contract” was more than reasonable considering Cal had taken UK to 6 Elite 8’s, 4 Final 4’s and won a championship. But to give Cal ALL of the control over the program by making it EXTREMELY difficult to remove him if things went how they have now, was what I blame Mitch for.

And you are exactly right. Mitch is the one that gave Cal those HORRIBLE buyout terms and he’s the one that will have to fix it. And if he decides to keep Cal, he may be going out with him after next season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT