ADVERTISEMENT

Ramsey on Calipari on Gohlke lol

I think our gameplan to contain him was pretty decent. I don't think 37% typically warrants a game plan around a single guy. The guy just went nuclear...

I'm waaaaaaaay more concerned with how we tried to change the offense to run through the post like that was the way to win. Like changing the offense that drastically with a bunch of freshmen was the idea. Getting 2 of your 3 best players only 1 shot each in the first half. Running nothing to get Rob or Reed settled in.

In the NFL there is the concept of settling in your QB, especially for rookies, especially in their first playoff games. Let them see some catches. Screens, flats, quick slants etc... Get them established, get them comfortable. 2 shots total for 2 of your best players is ridiculous.

The defense was bad all year, we needed to lean into destroying teams on the other end, that was the play.

Relying on Tre and Ugo to start the game, when both have been MIA for over a month was one of the worst coaching decisions I've ever seen.

More proof how we scout teams has to change. We need someone hungry that is up at 5am watching tape. Ideally that's your head coach Pitino Hurley are notorious for this.
Cal admits that he doesn’t care what the other team does, he only cares about HIS team. He has gotten FAT and LAZY!!! With all of those assistants, could he not find ONE of them in hat is capable of scouting the opponent competently???? Apparently not because we have been beaten by SEVERAL teams with less talent and Cal has been outcoached by even the young new coaches.

Heck, Oakland told Cal what they were going to do on BOTH ends and he STILL couldn’t come up with a game plan to beat them and they were basically a DII team, same with St Peters!!

I think our gameplan to contain him was pretty decent. I don't think 37% typically warrants a game plan around a single guy. The guy just went nuclear...
He went 10-20...it's not like he had some insane night for efficiency. The better question is how'd he get 20 shots off. The "gameplan" wasn't there until he hit his first few. And then the highly intelligent decision was to trail him over every screen. Switch? Nope. Hedge? Nope. Reroute? Negative. Bump? Nada. Just trail. Fat poser.

He went 10-20...it's not like he had some insane night for efficiency. The better question is how'd he get 20 shots off. The "gameplan" wasn't there until he hit his first few. And then the highly intelligent decision was to trail him over every screen. Switch? Nope. Hedge? Nope. Reroute? Negative. Bump? Nada. Just trail. Fat poser.
50% from 3 isn't insane efficiency? LOL.

Edit: To clarify, if he shoots his normal percentage he only makes 7-8 3s. Which removes 6-9 pts and we win. Guy went nuts, and 50% on 20 shots is super efficient. You take that everyday and twice on Sunday.

Cal admits that he doesn’t care what the other team does, he only cares about HIS team. He has gotten FAT and LAZY!!! With all of those assistants, could he not find ONE of them in hat is capable of scouting the opponent competently???? Apparently not because we have been beaten by SEVERAL teams with less talent and Cal has been outcoached by even the young new coaches.

Heck, Oakland told Cal what they were going to do on BOTH ends and he STILL couldn’t come up with a game plan to beat them and they were basically a DII team, same with St Peters!!

I don't know why we trash a team to make a point. Yeah, we SHOULD have beaten both St Peters and Oakland handily. But, considering Oakland took the ACC tournament champion to OT and St Peters went on to beat Purdue and WKU means that they were worthy of playing in the NCAA D1 tournament.

I'm waaaaaaaay more concerned with how we tried to change the offense to run through the post like that was the way to win. Like changing the offense that drastically with a bunch of freshmen was the idea. Getting 2 of your 3 best players only 1 shot each in the first half. Running nothing to get Rob or Reed settled in.

In the NFL there is the concept of settling in your QB, especially for rookies, especially in their first playoff games. Let them see some catches. Screens, flats, quick slants etc... Get them established, get them comfortable. 2 shots total for 2 of your best players is ridiculous.

The defense was bad all year, we needed to lean into destroying teams on the other end, that was the play.

Relying on Tre and Ugo to start the game, when both have been MIA for over a month was one of the worst coaching decisions I've ever seen.
It was dumb to go thru the post and start both Ugo and Tre. No other way to put it. I would have been fine with Tre at the 5 and 4 scores. Which was what he said after the Bama game, a big and 4 scorers. Simply put, if you do crazy stuff like that just to do it, you deserve all the grief you get. Along with a pink slip.

It’s kinda sad that Ramsey routinely makes better scouting reports than the actual coaching staff. Read his quite often and he’s always right. He said before the Oakland game to not give Gohlke any space because he will make you pay, the staff didn’t try guarding him until he’d made 4 or 5.

It was dumb to go thru the post and start both Ugo and Tre. No other way to put it. I would have been fine with Tre at the 5 and 4 scores. Which was what he said after the Bama game, a big and 4 scorers. Simply put, if you do crazy stuff like that just to do it, you deserve all the grief you get. Along with a pink slip.

We lost because of that. We should have scored 90 on Oakland. The 3 point barrage shouldn't have mattered.

What’s even more frustrating than the guy going nuclear from 3 is changing the offense like some of you have mentioned. I am very confident if we rode with Reed, Rob, and Reeves and let them shoot it every time down the court, we win that game. It might’ve been a 100-99 type game but we were much better in the 90’s than we were in the 70’s. Think we had a losing record when we scored in the 70’s

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I think he was more concerned with showing us Basketball Bennies™️ that we were wrong, and he was going to win his way and show us up. And by us I mean nearly every pundit on TV/Radio as well as all the fans.

50% from 3 isn't insane efficiency? LOL.

Edit: To clarify, if he shoots his normal percentage he only makes 7-8 3s. Which removes 6-9 pts and we win. Guy went nuts, and 50% on 20 shots is super efficient. You take that everyday and twice on Sunday.
No, it's not. At all. How many games did Reed shoot over 50% and take about 6 or 7 3s?

How many of those misses would Oakland have rebounded and turned into points? You're just assuming the Cats get the rebound and that's the end of the possession. Doesn't work like that.

Again, the main point is how did they allow THAT dude to get 20 3s off? Because they had ZERO gameplan to run him off the line or keep him from catching. None.

I think he was more concerned with showing us Basketball Bennies™️ that we were wrong, and he was going to win his way and show us up. And by us I mean nearly every pundit on TV/Radio as well as all the fans.
100%. I really don't think he and somem others realize how done most fans are. The Oakland game was a test. He failed every aspect of it. And he won't even own it. It's all about kids young, kids missed some shots etc.

Rewatching the beginning of the game (is actually worse than torture) and I still think if we just rebound the ball and do what good teams do vs lower seeds and build the lead to 8-10 points, we settle in and win that game

No, it's not. At all. How many games did Reed shoot over 50% and take about 6 or 7 3s?

How many of those misses would Oakland have rebounded and turned into points? You're just assuming the Cats get the rebound and that's the end of the possession. Doesn't work like that.

Again, the main point is how did they allow THAT dude to get 20 3s off? Because they had ZERO gameplan to run him off the line or keep him from catching. None.
This is so dumb. We average 64.6 shots per game. If those are all 3s and you make 50% that's 96.9 points per game. You take that every single day. The neat things about percentages is they scale perfectly with any quantity.

Reed making 3/6 or 4/8 is no different than someone making 6/12 or 10/20.

And we never went small ONCE! That was also criminal..

He shoots a ton of 3's, with the ability to go nuclear. You gotta design something around em, especially when you know he's never driving or shooting 2's. He does 1 thing really well. 1 thing.

He shoots a ton of 3's, with the ability to go nuclear. You gotta design something around em, especially when you know he's never driving or shooting 2's. He does 1 thing really well. 1 thing.
A good coaching staff would have made an adjustment after he started out like Steph Curry. Part of me thinks they saw Knecht drop 40 and still not beat them so they thought this guy couldn’t either.

100%. I really don't think he and somem others realize how done most fans are. The Oakland game was a test. He failed every aspect of it. And he won't even own it. It's all about kids young, kids missed some shots etc.
👍

I still think we covered him fairly well. Sure he got a couple guys to bite on pump fakes and was left wide open a few times. But he actually missed more of the open shots than he made. Most of the ones he made were instant fires off screens with a hand in his face with pretty poor form. He just made em. Sometimes you just tip your hat, the other team is trying to win too.

I think the way we approached offense this game was the real kicker.

Reactions: sjjones
Frustrating, indeed. I hate to make comparisons with others, but how many times after a preventable loss have I said, “Pitino would have never let this happen!” The level of preparedness in those days was unrivaled. That is, after all, how you go 17-1 in the SEC Tournament.
I’ve read a number of comments on RR indicating that the loss of Robic has impacted Cal’s preparedness. There is literally NO excuse for going into a matchup unaware of your opponent’s capabilities! If you’re only relying on how good your talent is, thinking your best version can beat anyone, you are completely arrogant. You don’t get a do-over, you’ve got one chance to win or lose a game!

See, this makes me even MORE furious......because even if you DID scout him (which I seriously doubt that Cal did.....), then you need to have the ability (and the willingness!) to change your scouting report mid-game if the guy who you downplayed is absolutely ROASTING YOUR ASS.

How about this? Maybe acknowledge that a guy that has ONLY shot three pointers all season might be hot this game.....like, say, after his first 4-5 makes in a row? Maybe you do something to get the ball out of his hands like trap him, or double him, or faceguard him????

Or, just play him straight up with your sub-standard defensive guards and watch them get humiliated. One after another.

THE NCAA TOURNEY ISN'T A TIME TO JUST TIP YOUR HAT AND ACKNOWLEDGE THE OTHER TEAM IS BETTER THAN YOU, CAL, YOU FAT IDIOT!

In the tournament, it's win or go home. Do something to make the other team uncomfortable. You don't just watch them smoke you!

Such a stubborn MULE. I want him EFFING gone.

I don't know why we trash a team to make a point. Yeah, we SHOULD have beaten both St Peters and Oakland handily. But, considering Oakland took the ACC tournament champion to OT and St Peters went on to beat Purdue and WKU means that they were worthy of playing in the NCAA D1 tournament.
This is The University of Kentucky. ANY excuses made for letting LOW level schools beating us is just ANOTHER example of how far our program has fallen under our carpetbagging coach!!

So much for “The Gold Standard”.

SAD

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
This is so dumb. We average 64.6 shots per game. If those are all 3s and you make 50% that's 96.9 points per game. You take that every single day. The neat things about percentages is they scale perfectly with any quantity.

Reed making 3/6 or 4/8 is no different than someone making 6/12 or 10/20.
It's not insanely efficient FOR HIM. Jesus man, that's not hard to understand. At team that shoots 37% that shoots 50% one night isn't "insanely efficient", they just had a good night. Two more makes above his average isn't "insanely efficient".

Yes it is. Speaking of dumb. Part of the job of the defense is TO MAKE SURE THE SHOOTERS DON'T GET THE SHOTS. Good lord, you need to be on the fat poser's staff. You'd fit right in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT