ADVERTISEMENT

R.I.P. Mike Phillips

Just reading via Twitter that Mike Phillips has passed away from an accidental fall. No other information at this time. Deepest condolences to the Phillips family and BBN.

Just saw this, wow. 59 years old. One of the first of the original Twin Towers with Roby.

R.I.P big guy.

Awful news. Mike Phillips was one of the best ever at UK. RIP big man!

Very surprising and sad news to say the least. Article says from a fall, so it must have been a horrible accident. Great player for UK's championship '78 squad. Prayers to his family.

Great player for UK's championship '78 squad. Prayers to his family.
I was in either 4th or 5th grade when they won the championship in 78...was the only kid in my class that was allowed to stay up and watch the game...I was somewhat a celebrity for 1 day and he was a big part of it

Reactions: ORCAT
Very sad news indeed. Rest in peace.

19770122LouisianaState.jpg

The 6'10" center, who was Mr. Basketball in Ohio in 1973 and 1974, was a big key in UK winning the NCAA Championship in 1978. An all-SEC player, Mike averaged 11 points and 6 rebounds during his UK career.

RIP Mike. My favorite UK team of all time. Very tragic news to hear & prayers to the Phillips family.

This is real shock. Mike was a powerful man with a very soft shot. He gave us some of the greatest memories in UK history and helped our Cats win a championship. May God comfort his family

Tragic. Prayers for his family. The 78 team is the first one I remember. BBN lost one of our greats.

This is tragic news.

I was born a year or so before the '58 championship. My family followed the Cats religiously. We only had a couple of TV channels. The voice of KY was Cawood on WHAS. Deep runs in the tournament were rare. But we followed. It was KY and we were fans.

Then came 1978. The thing happened that was supposed to happy every year. We won it all. I watched the game with friends at WKU as a graduate student. That was the single most special year of KY basketball in my history, before or since. We believed we would win it all every year. We did win it all that year. Mike Phillips was a key player, a force, on that very very special team and most of the team was very nearly my own age. I will always remember him as I remember every member of that team.

RIP Mike Phillips. Thank you.

That's all the basketball I can take today. Catch you guys later.

Reactions: ala_kat2
Just reading via Twitter that Mike Phillips has passed away from an accidental fall. No other information at this time. Deepest condolences to the Phillips family and BBN.
I hate to hear that! Mike Phillips was a part of one of my favorite all time teams, back in the day when players were here long enough to feel like you knew them personally. Condolences and prayers for his family and close friends. RIP Mike from a grateful fan!

Reactions: nighthawks8
Such a tragedy. He was a great guy, saw him less than a month ago and was always so friendly. RIP Mike.

...passed away yesterday according to Oscar Combs on twitter
We lifted weights together at Shively. Probably the closest the basketball and football team has ever been. Remember tying the school record long field goal and turned to the student section and most of the basketball team was cheering like crazy. RIP Mike.

I used to go watch him play in a tournament in Evansville, In. and after the games he would always talk to me about Kentucky basketball. He was a really nice guy and is going to be missed.
RIP

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT