ADVERTISEMENT

R.I.P. Mike Phillips

UK's First Freshman has died

Mike was the first freshman to start in a game for Kentucky after the restriction on freshmen was lifted in the 70s. I met Mike a couple of years ago at a fundraiser in Western Kentucky. A wonderful afternoon of conversation with him, very grateful for that experience, very saddened by this news. Mike was badly injured several years ago (never fully recovered) after an accident at his family's farm near Madisonville - part of a tree fell on him while cleaning up after the 2009 ice storm. He told me the whole story and I remember being affected by the simplicity of this UK great getting hurt while doing farm chores. A gentle giant. Such a sad weekend now.

Reactions: nighthawks8
One of my favorite teams of all-time..Robey,Phillips,Goose,Macy. Beating Duke in the finals didn't hurt either.Prayers to the Phillips family.

One of the first big men that I followed from UK, along with Robey. My condolences to his family and friends.

I am so sorry to hear this. I'm a Jayhawk, and I saw him play my sophomore year at KU when UK visited Lawrence on December 10, 1977, a game UK won by 7 after leading by 3 at halftime. I just remember standing by the court before the game as UK was warming up pre-game and watching Phillips and Roby because they were just so big, and Macy as he was launching outside shots with his perfect form. Doesn't seem that long ago. As a college basketball fan of a certain age I just hate to see that he passed away so young. My sincere condolences.

Heard about this in church this morning. I live in the same town as Mike and I was always talking UK bb to him. Great guy. I've done a lot of work on his business in the past. We went to church together for 10 years. I still can't believe it. He was a pillar in our community and a good Christian. God bless his son and his wife.

Reactions: nighthawks8
As a 10 year old I can remember going to watch the seniors barnstorming game. That year was the first year I can really remember following the Cats. When I read about Mike I couldn't help but feel like a small part of my childhood was gone. RIP Big Fella.

Hate to hear this BBN. I was at in school at UK when they won the '78 championship. I liked that team.

Part of King and Kong is gone. Sincere condolences to Mike's family.

Said a prayer for you Mike. Know you're in a better place. Prayers for his family as well in this time of grief for them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT