ADVERTISEMENT

Putting this team's scoring ability into context...

BlueBomb

All-American
Apr 3, 2009
We're currently averaging 89.7 points per game. I looked at the past 20 seasons to see how that performance stacks up.

We are third in the nation this year in scoring behind Alabama (90.8) and Arizona (90.3). Over the past 20 years (prior to this season), a Power 5 school has NEVER averaged more than 89.8 points per game. Non-Power 5 schools Gonzaga (2021) and VMI (09, 08 and 07) did have slightly higher averages.

Setting this season aside for a moment: The only Power 5 schools that have EVER averaged more than we are right now (again not counting Bama and Zona this season) are UCLA (2017) and UNC (2009). And both of those teams averaged 89.8, just one-tenth higher than we are right now.

So, the scoring ability of this team is as good as it gets in the past two decades.

We have great shooters, great creators, and good leaders. It's a recipe for high octane offense.

Now if we can just get a few of these guys to buy in consistently on shutdown defense and boxing out, we'll be onto something for the dance.

We have great shooters, great creators, and good leaders. It's a recipe for high octane offense.

Now if we can just get a few of these guys to buy in consistently on shutdown defense and boxing out, we'll be onto something for the dance.
If we could play with the same intensity we did against Auburn we could win the title.

How did teams in the 60's, 70's, early 80's do it. Like Issel's SR year I think we averaged around 96-97ppg (WITH NO 3-PT SHOT). Add in that and depending on where they were taking shots from that puts them 100-110.

And I remember watching them, but still can't comprehend how that Loyola Marymount team averaged like 120ish, with a few games around 180.

It helps our scoring average that the other teams typically score on us quickly and don't use much shot clock.

At the same time, it also hurts our defensive scoring average because we score so quickly as well.

Last edited:

I just don't understand what the hold up is. Like you can show every one of our guys tape, and essentially say "Do these 2-3 things on defense, remember it, memorize it". It's like, how can players be so good at knowing what to do on offense to make a bucket or send a pass or get open.. but can't do simple things like boxing out or not fouling a bad 3pt shooter?

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

Comes from the coach.... Anyone say what they want, that comes from the coach, not the player...

We're currently averaging 89.7 points per game. I looked at the past 20 seasons to see how that performance stacks up.

We are third in the nation this year in scoring behind Alabama (90.8) and Arizona (90.3). Over the past 20 years (prior to this season), a Power 5 school has NEVER averaged more than 89.8 points per game. Non-Power 5 schools Gonzaga (2021) and VMI (09, 08 and 07) did have slightly higher averages.

Setting this season aside for a moment: The only Power 5 schools that have EVER averaged more than we are right now (again not counting Bama and Zona this season) are UCLA (2017) and UNC (2009). And both of those teams averaged 89.8, just one-tenth higher than we are right now.

So, the scoring ability of this team is as good as it gets in the past two decades.

It is certainly the best offensive team of my time as a UK fan. That includes '96 too. The '96 team was incredibly efficient offensively but so many of their buckets came in an easy fashion off defensive pressure. This team doesn't have anywhere near that level of defense- obviously.

Comes from the coach.... Anyone say what they want, that comes from the coach, not the player...
Not according to one of the staunchest CAL defenders who said on this board just yesterday that coaches can't control effort- Cal is at the mercy of guys he has to play whether they're committed to defense or not!!!! :) :) :)

With just a slightly average defense this team would probably be 40-0 and cutting down the nets in April.

How has Cal's team done in the last seven or eight years defensively?

fify

Oh, I cited the below from the article below...

Article

"Kentucky finished with a top-10 defense in adjusted efficiency five times in the first 10 years under Calipari, according to KenPom. The Wildcats often had high-level rim protection, were a strong defensive rebounding team, and owned excellent perimeter size that gave opposing offenses issues. Unfortunately, those top-notch defensive results have all but disappeared in the last four seasons."

Are their other questions? (Oh, it has been longer than four seasons...)

Let me know please, thanks...

Yeah, Cal's history....

Last edited:
  • Haha
How did teams in the 60's, 70's, early 80's do it. Like Issel's SR year I think we averaged around 96-97ppg (WITH NO 3-PT SHOT). Add in that and depending on where they were taking shots from that puts them 100-110.

And I remember watching them, but still can't comprehend how that Loyola Marymount team averaged like 120ish, with a few games around 180.
1970, my first year being interested 11 years old. Issell averaged 33 ppg. I thought that was normal for the star of the team

I think most of the complainers about defense don't account for the fact that these particular players are not very muscular. They're simply being discarded by the offenses they play against. Their physiques make them quick and agile on offense but at a disadvantage on defense. And, of course, they're practically non-starters on rebounding.

My favorite part of this generic complaint is that Calipari isn't teaching defense. The complainers want to fan the outrage, of course. One of the tells is that this complaint began as a supposition -- an outrageous suggestion made for comic effect -- but after 2 or 3 repetitions it became the flaming letters of Holy Writ.

One of the standard suggestions of yore was to tell the player to stick his nose in there. Was it last game or the previous one where poor Z wound up getting a shoulder in his teeth on around 3 plays in a row. I imagined him saying to his detractors, "You stick your nose in there!" [note: Z did not, in fact, say that. Nor will I resurrect this to suggest he did.] Players are always being urged into behavior that will risk great harm to them. It's one of the creepier aspects of sport.

It's an amazing scoring team. My favorite UK team of all time is the 1978 team. They averaged about that too. With no 3 pointers and no shot clock. And people complained about Joe B being a slowball coach. The innerweb would be merciless to Joe B is he lived in this time.

fify

Oh, I cited the below from the article below...

Article

"Kentucky finished with a top-10 defense in adjusted efficiency five times in the first 10 years under Calipari, according to KenPom. The Wildcats often had high-level rim protection, were a strong defensive rebounding team, and owned excellent perimeter size that gave opposing offenses issues. Unfortunately, those top-notch defensive results have all but disappeared in the last four seasons."

Are their other questions? (Oh, it has been longer than four seasons...)

Let me know please, thanks...

Yeah, Cal's history....
KenPom is fake numbers. He edits out possessions.

Worth noting is the impact that the change in how block/charge is called has had on offensive basketball this year. Much easier to score without weak side defenders constantly sliding under on drives.

Reactions: BlueBomb
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT