ADVERTISEMENT

Pope on the recruiting trail

regardless of who he recruits, they will not be able to take the place of Reed Sheppard.
He has been nothing but class the entire process. The same goes for his family. Just too bad
he had to play for a clown of a coach. Best wishes for a successful career.

If anyone expected Reed to return they were living in a dream state. Understand the hope but hope isn't a plan.

Pope knew he was gone all along. No way you are that close to someone and don't have a clue.

Surely he's going to visit some guys who are planning on taking visits to Lexington-so Amari Williams would be one guess and then not sure of the others but just doing the part of the job that needs to be done.

regardless of who he recruits, they will not be able to take the place of Reed Sheppard.
He has been nothing but class the entire process. The same goes for his family. Just too bad
he had to play for a clown of a coach. Best wishes for a successful career.
I don't think this is correct. Reed is a fantastic three point shooter and pretty good at the line, but that's it. He wasn't good on defense at all, lacked athleticism and in pressure situations made some pretty questionable decisions, and often. Another year would surely have fixed some of those things, but the point I'm making is that there are other guys out there that we can get that would maybe not be as good from deep, but have all of the other tangibles that Reed didn't have, and hopefully much less of a ball-watcher on both ends of the court.

Calling @TheDude73, we need your expertise here🤣🤣🤣
N72UK hasn't flown out since 4/15 and that was a roughly 4.5 hour out and back from LEX to down around Athens, GA. I'm not a pilot, but working in the space industry I'm around a lot of them, and these flights are usually training or getting more flight hours, or possibly post-maintenance testing flights.

The last flight before that was of course the Pope family pickup on 4/13.

As I stated a bit ago, Pope is likely flying either commercial or contracted private. I'm not sure what UK flies coaching staff on for these visits (I'm sure someone here does, though). And even then, good luck finding anything to track because most of the commercial flights leaving LEX and going to any of the recruits will head to a hub for a connection to another city. If coaches are flown private contract, I'm sure someone here knows what companies have jets at LEX, and from there one could use the online tracking tools to dig around.

That might be the most fun thread I’ve followed in my 4 years on the board.
It was fun because we figured out it was actually REAL! Had it not at all been confirmed to have been Drew, Hurley and then Pope family pickup flights, we'd have realized what a waste of time it was and would have a totally different feeling about that time spent! :)

I don't think this is correct. Reed is a fantastic three point shooter and pretty good at the line, but that's it. He wasn't good on defense at all, lacked athleticism and in pressure situations made some pretty questionable decisions, and often. Another year would surely have fixed some of those things, but the point I'm making is that there are other guys out there that we can get that would maybe not be as good from deep, but have all of the other tangibles that Reed didn't have, and hopefully much less of a ball-watcher on both ends of the court.
82 steals says otherwise on him being poor defender. Does he have some deficiencies there, yeah, but he's not a one trick pony. His passing, court awareness and instincts are what has him at such a lofty draft position.

Think I found Pope’s plane. Things are going well on the recruiting trail.

Flying Look At Me GIF by GIF IT UP

82 steals says otherwise on him being poor defender. Does he have some deficiencies there, yeah, but he's not a one trick pony. His passing, court awareness and instincts are what has him at such a lofty draft position.
No, it says he left his man to play the passing lanes. That's what it says. His passing was awful, you clearly are forgetting what he did late in games (or did you watch them?). His court awareness really wasn't that good, otherwise he would have been aware that he should stick to his man. Cal doesn't play zone. Reed was a ball-watcher, even the commentators picked up on it.

Reactions: bigbluedon
Very low chance we’ll replace what Reed could have been year 2. But pretty decent chance we can replace what Cal got out of Reed. I still believe Pope will come into his own as a recruiter here. Pitino had to wait a year to bring in Mashburn.
I think Collin can be very very good.

Reactions: BlueSince92
Why? Reed was gone long before Calipari left. Fans just need to stop being delusional. Projected top 5 draft picks shouldn’t come back to school. Ever.
Agreed Reed was NEVER coming back. There has never been a NBA top 5 player that stayed in college.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I don't want to rush this process but man we need some good news. Assistants and a 4 star that has not played basketball in 2 years is not gonna keep us calm.
Well he has been on the job 4 days and can't hire assistants until the 7th day for some unknown reason. When that happens and recruits know who the coaches are, it should be a crazy wild time.

Reactions: TysonD44
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT