ADVERTISEMENT

Pope on the recruiting trail

Will be glad to hear of us signing some dudes vs reaching out and visiting with.
Unfortunately we're going to have to wait. There WILL be a team, that's the easiest part to forget in all of this. The signing process starts with reaching out and visiting the kids. It may be that until his assistants are officially announced they can't actually do anything, and if that's the case then he's all on his own here and that would be a tough thing for ANY coach to have to deal with.

Unfortunately we're going to have to wait. There WILL be a team, that's the easiest part to forget in all of this. The signing process starts with reaching out and visiting the kids. It may be that until his assistants are officially announced they can't actually do anything, and if that's the case then he's all on his own here and that would be a tough thing for ANY coach to have to deal with.
yea I get it, just salty is all lol, I'm sure we'll be fine, I'd just love to hear some great news soon! I'm sure it's coming.

Reactions: NociHTTP
yea I get it, just salty is all lol, I'm sure we'll be fine, I'd just love to hear some great news soon! I'm sure it's coming.
I feel the same as you. I can't imagine being in his shoes. It's one thing to want to restore the program to its glory, quite another to do that when you've got coaches rooting for UK to perish, and the guy who dismantled our program is now a conference foe. Just as bad as the situation of Pitino going to a rival. But the Cal situation is worse. I hope that some here share as little regard for Cal as they did for Pitino.

So who are the 2 players we were told were in Sunday that had passed on Pope in the past?

Thought we would have at least got those 2 wrapped up quick.
That was the ignorant hayseed Mitch Barnhart saying that.

Mark Pope is smart and likely was explaining to Mitch how he has people reaching out out to him now that he's at UK that he never could've gotten at BYU and I'm going to ASSUME because I don't know this--but seems like a pretty fair assumption that a new coach from where Pope worked would say regarding recruiting---and Mitch ran with it to the media because he was impressed.

Now this has nothing to do with Mark Pope--so I'm not mad at all or think he sucks or anything BUT

Think about this-the University of Kentucky's Athletic Director was so impressed with that anecdote that he went on KSR with Matt Jones and Crew and shared that like it would floor them or the listeners. Mitch is the dips*it in the room. He doesn't understand WHERE he works. He doesn't understand the significance and importance of this job and Pope sharing a casual story (again I'm assuming that is all it was because that is the most logical take from listening to Pope and hearing how intelligent he is too) was something he ran with as to why everyone should be excited. There are about 100 other reasons to be excited.....yet he runs with something that makes him seem like an ignorant moron.

The only way this program is in trouble is if Pope was floored by that and there's just no way I believe that to be the case. He's been around basketball too long and knows the significance of this place as a player, opposing coach, and now Head Coach.

Mitch Barnhart in the Portal would've been as good for UK as Cal leaving. This program would be in a lot different place right now and in the past too because it would've never gotten to the "fat and happy" days because a real AD wouldn't have allowed that to happen or handed that stupid extension out.

That was the ignorant hayseed Mitch Barnhart saying that.

Mark Pope is smart and likely was explaining to Mitch how he has people reaching out out to him now that he's at UK that he never could've gotten at BYU and I'm going to ASSUME because I don't know this--but seems like a pretty fair assumption that a new coach from where Pope worked would say regarding recruiting---and Mitch ran with it to the media because he was impressed.

Now this has nothing to do with Mark Pope--so I'm not mad at all or think he sucks or anything BUT

Think about this-the University of Kentucky's Athletic Director was so impressed with that anecdote that he went on KSR with Matt Jones and Crew and shared that like it would floor them or the listeners. Mitch is the dips*it in the room. He doesn't understand WHERE he works. He doesn't understand the significance and importance of this job and Pope sharing a casual story (again I'm assuming that is all it was because that is the most logical take from listening to Pope and hearing how intelligent he is too) was something he ran with as to why everyone should be excited. There are about 100 other reasons to be excited.....yet he runs with something that makes him seem like an ignorant moron.

The only way this program is in trouble is if Pope was floored by that and there's just no way I believe that to be the case. He's been around basketball too long and knows the significance of this place as a player, opposing coach, and now Head Coach.

Mitch Barnhart in the Portal would've been as good for UK as Cal leaving. This program would be in a lot different place right now and in the past too because it would've never gotten to the "fat and happy" days because a real AD wouldn't have allowed that to happen or handed that stupid extension out.
How do you feel about Jason Hart?

How do you feel about Jason Hart?
Well I mentioned him to a few friends and though I did in a Rafters thread in the past week. He was Team Ignite HC in the G-League--well connected in the Grassroots world and very respected as an elite recruiter. Played with Pope in the NBA too. Would be a nice get IMO and would be a killer on the trail with UK brand behind him. Also would get a lot of the AAU "voices" on UK side as they love the guy.

Former Cuse PG!

Well I mentioned him to a few friends and though I did in a Rafters thread in the past week. He was Team Ignite HC in the G-League--well connected in the Grassroots world and very respected as an elite recruiter. Played with Pope in the NBA too. Would be a nice get IMO and would be a killer on the trail with UK brand behind him. Also would get a lot of the AAU "voices" on UK side as they love the guy.

Former Cuse PG!
Tucker is reporting he's the next UK AC. With Mark Fox as director of NIL.

Tucker is reporting he's the next UK AC. With Mark Fox as director of NIL.
Jason Hart is connected. AAU guys will love that hire. It'll be popular one for them and he's a connector. Not a lot of people he doesn't know. That's best news of the Pope Era so far. Mentioned him this past weekend and was smart hire/great get.

Also very underrated aspect-he'll be able to talk with prospective NBA guys who are in the Draft but retained their eligibility realistically and explain to others who are thinking about NBA and will be in G-League just how that life is--from a Coach's perspective and explain why you need CBB and to get ready to be a pro.

This is hire that at this time I feel is 100X better than Payne or O because he knows Pope from playing together in NBA and he knows the AAU guys well from being involved in getting guys like Matas, Pate, Holland to get the G-League and Team Ignite.

Hart is a West Coast guy who played in Big East at Syracuse and he's connected everywhere. Love this hire. Best news of the Pope Era so far.

N72UK hasn't flown out since 4/15 and that was a roughly 4.5 hour out and back from LEX to down around Athens, GA. I'm not a pilot, but working in the space industry I'm around a lot of them, and these flights are usually training or getting more flight hours, or possibly post-maintenance testing flights.

The last flight before that was of course the Pope family pickup on 4/13.

As I stated a bit ago, Pope is likely flying either commercial or contracted private. I'm not sure what UK flies coaching staff on for these visits (I'm sure someone here does, though). And even then, good luck finding anything to track because most of the commercial flights leaving LEX and going to any of the recruits will head to a hub for a connection to another city. If coaches are flown private contract, I'm sure someone here knows what companies have jets at LEX, and from there one could use the online tracking tools to dig around.
I used to know a pilot for a private charter who flew CCC on trips and also Pitino when he was at Louisville. Charter was not Lexington based.

So with Pope going to see Williams and Osobar, is that probably our starting four and five? It looks like those two may be the best at those two positions that we are looking at.

That might be the most fun thread I’ve followed in my 4 years on the board.
Man you’ve missed some really glorious threads similar to that back in the day before the cal era soured…and even before that. It’s good to see the board healing and getting a little more in sync.

The night we got wind that this board (used to eh “CatsPause”) was being bought by rivals and updating in the early morning hours….nobody knew what would happen and that thread was pure chaotic entertainment.; the door; where was John Wall in history photoshop thread….and so many more.

Stick around long term and you’ll have a ton more moments where you’re cracking up to yourself at your phone w your fellow BBN internet friends. Here’s to a decade we all look back on fondly 🍻

Reactions: BradleyCrawford08
Man I was hoping for some good player news today.

Instead of stuck on you we are stuck on two.
A Christmas Story Tongue GIF by filmeditor

If anyone expected Reed to return they were living in a dream state. Understand the hope but hope isn't a plan.

Pope knew he was gone all along. No way you are that close to someone and don't have a clue.

Surely he's going to visit some guys who are planning on taking visits to Lexington-so Amari Williams would be one guess and then not sure of the others but just doing the part of the job that needs to be done.
Ralph what do you know about the Freeman kid in the portal that said he wanted to play here?

So our current roster is Chandler and a 50/50 Travis Perry? Is that correct? Not trying to be condescending, just making sure that’s correct.

To me this could be our best big duo in a long time. Williams said to have a 7-5 reach. Great timing on his blocks, so he plays bigger than 6-10. Solid rebounder and plays within himself on offense when you look at his FG percentage and he doesn't take 3's.

Osobor has a pro type body and has impressive stats also. Said to have good moves on the inside to score, shoots well and is a very solid rebounder. Both with a ton of experience to go with all that. A couple of grown men that physically and talent wise would be one of the best big duo around IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT