• I like NIL$$$ only

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I like Transfer Portal only

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • I like NEITHER

Votes: 79 69.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We’d be completely hosed if there wasn’t a transfer portal. I’m not a fan of it but it’s saving our asses this year.
Yes, no question !! That can be said for a number of teams. NBA, with one-year contracts.

Reactions: chroix
When this team Coach Pope has put together does well this next season and everyone is searching for a name for them, we can call them the "Kentucky Mercenaries"

Pay for play. Players no longer bleed the colors of a school but bleed only green.
At some point someone, the NCAA, AD's, College presidents, someone will step in and set up some kind of regulations to keep things more controlled. I could be wrong on this but I do not see how this landscape we now have in college sports can be sustainable.
Coaches will give up trying to deal with this or boosters will take over programs with weak administrations.

So get ready folks, I am calling it now; The KY Merchs!

Reactions: KFuqua
We’d be completely hosed if there wasn’t a transfer portal. I’m not a fan of it but it’s saving our asses this year.
I agree with this definitely with a coaching change right when the coaching change happened we’d be totally screwed without it. With the way it’s going it makes Pro free agency look like child’s play. I just don’t like it all.

I like both but they need to be reeled in a bit.
I agree but how do they reel it in. No matter what they do teams will still cheat the process. Illinois tampered with storr all year, Tennessee tampered with the Lanier kid all year, I’m sure cal and Kentucky tampered with somebody all year. And on the money I don’t know they do, the smaller schools are screwed over, but Kentucky can’t keep having to get 4 million dollars from the krafts every year, it’s just not sustainable

That’s my thought as well
I did vote that I like neither, however that’s because of how they stand at this time
The portal can be a good thing, and yes it’s saving our asses this year. But it’s too free and open. A player can go to 4 different schools for their entire eligibility. Coaches have to rerecruit their players every year in addition to new commitments. I just feel like it should be better regulated…just not sure how
And NIL. I do believe in it. However..it’s totally out of hand. We’re offering players money up front to play for us. I think it should be based on performance AFTER a season
Naive, I know..but again I don’t know how you regulate that either

I did vote that I like neither, however that’s because of how they stand at this time
The portal can be a good thing, and yes it’s saving our asses this year. But it’s too free and open. A player can go to 4 different schools for their entire eligibility. Coaches have to rerecruit their players every year in addition to new commitments. I just feel like it should be better regulated…just not sure how
And NIL. I do believe in it. However..it’s totally out of hand. We’re offering players money up front to play for us. I think it should be based on performance AFTER a season

Totally agree with all of what you’ve said here.

I agree but how do they reel it in. No matter what they do teams will still cheat the process. Illinois tampered with storr all year, Tennessee tampered with the Lanier kid all year, I’m sure cal and Kentucky tampered with somebody all year. And on the money I don’t know they do, the smaller schools are screwed over, but Kentucky can’t keep having to get 4 million dollars from the krafts every year, it’s just not sustainable
That's a problem for the big players to figure out

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
My thoughts exactly. Having said that, I don't think Billy Donovan or Jay Wright have the stamina to work in this landscape. They were never coming, but I don’t think they could construct a complete roster within the time given.

Reactions: Bkocats
I would like to see them adopt a pay structure similar to what the NBA has and adapt it to NIL. The players could be evaluated and paid according to that evaluation. If a player has an evaluation in the highest group, he would be in the highest pay group, if he was in the next highest group he would be eligible for second tier money and so on. Factors to be considered could be how many years of eligibility remaining, whether the player has transferred before, level of competition and other factors. If a player has already transferred 1 or more times prior to entering, his value would be diminished, but if he signs for multiple years the value would increase.

As far as the transfer portal is concerned, it would seem fair to allow a school to offer multiple year scholarships and both the player and the school would be bound to honor the scholarship unless both parties agree to change it.

I would like to see them adopt a pay structure similar to what the NBA has and adapt it to NIL. The players could be evaluated and paid according to that evaluation. If a player has an evaluation in the highest group, he would be in the highest pay group, if he was in the next highest group he would be eligible for second tier money and so on. Factors to be considered could be how many years of eligibility remaining, whether the player has transferred before, level of competition and other factors. If a player has already transferred 1 or more times prior to entering, his value would be diminished, but if he signs for multiple years the value would increase.

As far as the transfer portal is concerned, it would seem fair to allow a school to offer multiple year scholarships and both the player and the school would be bound to honor the scholarship unless both parties agree to change it.
This really frustrates me. First, no pro league has any controls on NIL. NIL is fully owned by the players and they can do as they see fit with very few exceptions. Any attempt to control personal earning power will be struck down by the courts.

Your idea could be used for player pay but not NIL and even then the players will probably have to be unionized for pay to work as intended.

Unfortunately you can't regulate NIL.

Wishes and dreams.

Players have rights. Nobody would want random people coming to their workplace and telling them they can't change employers. We are slaves, and neither are they. Nor would you want some group of fans deciding your salary range. If you don't think you're paid fairly, you can check the free market and change jobs to get a raise if you are worth it.

Think they're overpaid? Blame the buyer, not the seller. Its called a FREE MARKET.

Reactions: JDHoss and Zissou87
Love it. This is the first time I’ve followed basketball for a long time. Cal leaving is obviously the reason for that. The portal and NIL just adds a cool aspect to it all, plus we have to have it in order to build a team.

The really screwed up part is that the schools (who make all this money off the athletes) aren’t the ones paying their players. I have no idea how that happened. I guess it’s genius on the NCAA’s part, but it’s incredibly evil. The important thing is players can make money.

Yeah, that's my answer as well. I do think they should place some more limitations on it, though. You shouldn't be able to play at 4 different schools in 4 consecutive years, but it has happened. But we would be dead in the water right now without it, trying to recruit only freshmen, and not the best ones.

Yeah, that's my answer as well. I do think they should place some more limitations on it, though. You shouldn't be able to play at 4 different schools in 4 consecutive years, but it has happened. But we would be dead in the water right now without it, trying to recruit only freshmen, and not the best ones.

It’s just the reality of things. One of the few times a weird rule works in our favor. I’d love to see them limit it to one transfer during your eligibility.

It’s just the reality of things. One of the few times a weird rule works in our favor. I’d love to see them limit it to one transfer during your eligibility.
Yeah, I totally agree. Even twice during your eligibility seems more fair to me. 3 or 4 times makes every college player a yearly free agent, which is excessive in my opinion. Even in the NBA, players only have absolute free agency when their contract expires. College players have unlimited free agency every year. It just seems unreasonable to me, and likely very unhealthy for players for that matter.

Wishes and dreams.

Players have rights. Nobody would want random people coming to their workplace and telling them they can't change employers. We are slaves, and neither are they. Nor would you want some group of fans deciding your salary range. If you don't think you're paid fairly, you can check the free market and change jobs to get a raise if you are worth it.

Think they're overpaid? Blame the buyer, not the seller. Its called a FREE MARKET.
So you think it would be taking away a player's rights if a school offered a 2 year scholarship with an option for a 3rd year just like the NBA? They could offer NIL in increasing increments, ie they could pay $150,000 for the first year, $250,000 for the second year and $500,000 for the third. If a player turned pro before that time he would not be owed any money after turning pro. If he didn't turn pro the school and player could negotiate NIL payments for the 4th year or the school could decline to pick up the 4th year option. The players would still be free to sign deals for endorsements, charging for signatures and anything else companies are willing to pay for. That wouldn't restrict a players right to earn money would also be considered a free market opportunity.

I'm in "it is what it is" mode on both but have no objections that I'm willing to apply evenly in other areas.

I guess I'd love to see some break pumping on the way the portal works.

Maybe something as simple as only one "free" transfer in two years so you could find a better fit once in that time but the second you'd have to sit out or cost the new school a scholarship for a year so it isn't a sanction on the player exactly but rather the receiving school.

So you think it would be taking away a player's rights if a school offered a 2 year scholarship with an option for a 3rd year just like the NBA? They could offer NIL in increasing increments, ie they could pay $150,000 for the first year, $250,000 for the second year and $500,000 for the third. If a player turned pro before that time he would not be owed any money after turning pro. If he didn't turn pro the school and player could negotiate NIL payments for the 4th year or the school could decline to pick up the 4th year option. The players would still be free to sign deals for endorsements, charging for signatures and anything else companies are willing to pay for. That wouldn't restrict a players right to earn money would also be considered a free market opportunity.
The NBA has no image and licensing contracts that I'm aware of.
You are combining endorsements and pay as an employee under a collective bargaining arrangement but are simply saying you aren't.

The NBA has no image and licensing contracts that I'm aware of.
You are combining endorsements and pay as an employee under a collective bargaining arrangement but are simply saying you aren't.
No, I'm not saying I'm not combining endorsements and pay as an employee. What I am saying is a school should be able to negotiate a multi-year contract with a player just like other organizations do and those players would be free to sign NIL agreements with outside entities. Most people agree that something needs to be done to get these bidding wars under control and if not the schools in poorer states or without mega donors will be the losers in the long term, us included. What I have suggested may not be feasible and if you have a better idea I'd love to hear it. I just want to see something done before the rich schools start buying all the top talent like the Ohio States and Texas A&Ms are doing in football already.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT