ADVERTISEMENT

Per KSR

Curious what you mean by Iowa style football? Ironically, we’ve moved away significantly from the offense that UK used with Gran - physical play with a determination to establish the run and grind opponents down. We’ve morphed into a pass heavy offense that takes way too many shots 20+ yards downfield while one of the best RB in the nation languishes on the bench.

While the defense took a big step back this year the offense has been the problem more often than not. And it’s becoming more apparent that it’s because we’re trying to make something work that’s not there.
The Iowa offenses are plodding, slow developing, defense protecting, slow the game down with fewer plays run than most teams. Yes, I agree with you that we got away from Davis and throw ridiculous long passes with no chance of success. But overall that’s what I meant.

Reactions: GGary
Wondering about Coen and his health scare. Prior Coen was on the sidelines and Woodward in the press box then they switched places after the Coen event. I don't know what I'm trying to say but Coen doesn't seem to be the same coach post health scare.

SECN talking heads said in their coverage last night, UK's O's problems were 1st Down. They start too many drives second and 10 or second and long.

FWIW, Collins signed a contract extension, 2 years I think, last summer.
I do wonder about the Coen situation and if it was just a medical episode. I don’t don’t why, just something seems off to me (obviously). Him going to booth immediately after, never coming back to field, keeping description extremely vague. I know he doesn’t have to tell us specifically what health problem is but does lead to speculation if you don’t name it. Everyone is different, but I don’t see why it’s a big deal to say I had a stroke, heart attack, etc.

It was my understanding when Stoops took the job, he would receive a nice salary, but have the highest paid assistants. There’s no way our position coaches are the best or close to the best out there, and supposedly with the Stoops brand, and UKs money, shouldn’t he be attracting quality position coaches?

Coen's schemes and concepts are still good. Most of his play calls are still great. It's the refusal to stick with the run and forcing touches to one no productive guy is the big issue. I do wonder if there was a rift that caused the whole ordeal and sent him upstairs.

The few times we run the ball it's always on first down. Even then we didn't get behind the chains till second down when we'd force the ball to brown.

I remember that extension I just think he's still in trouble. We don't pay him that much and other than max, his talent development just isn't there. Robinson is sad and Dru is on the field because he's the best of the rest. We used to haul in nice cb recruits now we have no one.
Poor Phillips, he's been used and abused more than the five dollar whore who can't keep her false teeth in. He is absolutely terrible. Has a HUGE target on his back, just what OCs everywhere are looking for.

Re DB recruiting, I wondered this week why UK stopped with the JUCO DB recruiting? Lonnie Johnson, Echols, Quandry Mosely....good, solid, experienced JUCO DBs but no more. Bringing in one or two a year seemed like a good idea then, still does.

Poor Phillips, he's been used and abused more than the five dollar whore who can't keep her false teeth in. He is absolutely terrible. Has a HUGE target on his back, just what OCs everywhere are looking for.

Re DB recruiting, I wondered this week why UK stopped with the JUCO DB recruiting? Lonnie Johnson, Echols, Quandry Mosely....good, solid, experienced JUCO DBs but no more. Bringing in one or two a year seemed like a good idea then, still does.

Yep makes it worse max is so good. Means Dru gets all the attacks.

I think childress was juco or at least lower level. Awesome tackler and in run support but blown tons of coverage.

Hardaway is iffy. Great measurables but plays so soft. He's gotten much better as the season progressed though. Honestly I think he's better than Dru in coverage now just not in tackling/run support

Reactions: lazycat75
It seems Coen’s scheme and plays aren’t an issue …in fact , they worked with Levis and a competent offensive line. Even today , if you take away the endzone interception ( underthrown , but nothing wrong with the call) , the Key fumble and tipped balls at the line they likely hang ~30 and win. They aren’t playing ‘clean ‘ , for sure

White is garbage...always a day late and a dollar short on adjustments...him and Yenser at an absolute bare minimum should be given hobo sticks and shown the door.

Ol' Brainfart strikes again with another dumb ass contract...he's as much to blame as anyone...he should be demoted to Volleyball and Golf team AD.
White doesn’t suck. He has this year and I’d love to know what’s different. But his defense has propped us up in the past. People say they hate the “bend but don’t break” philosophy, but that is not a unique concept. Most teams operate the same way.

White doesn’t suck. He has this year and I’d love to know what’s different. But his defense has propped us up in the past. People say they hate the “bend but don’t break” philosophy, but that is not a unique concept. Most teams operate the same way.
‘Bend but don’t break ‘ is really just using more zone versus man to man. It isn’t even ‘bend ‘ if you can get QB pressure and play good run defense . Majority man puts corners on an island a lot and can give up home run plays , and that may be especially true with our below SEC average corners . You saw the fruits of our D philosophy for a stretch last night when they were getting pressure and tackles for loss at the line …but it looked like the line got gassed some

Nothing about this offense is stoops brand of football. We barely run and we continuously go deep despite it not working.

Why are fans so reluctant to blame coen?
Because many don't know what they're watching lol. Better QB play, as well as the secondary and it's a different season

This is a tactic to get fans to shut up and take the heat off Stoops “as he’s trying to clean things up.”

Barnhart is likely behind all of this. I’m sick of all this false hope from people close to the program that things are gonna change under Stoops.

Guys like Matt Jones and Kyle Tucker or heck even Stoops himself still talk like he’s in his second or third year. It’s been 11 years and we still play the same way. Only difference is we do have better players now.
In the past maybe.

Matt's been REALLY critical of Stoops of late.

Reactions: bevcat
Yep makes it worse max is so good. Means Dru gets all the attacks.

I think childress was juco or at least lower level. Awesome tackler and in run support but blown tons of coverage.

Hardaway is iffy. Great measurables but plays so soft. He's gotten much better as the season progressed though. Honestly I think he's better than Dru in coverage now just not in tackling/run support
Childress came from Texas St, they are FBS D1 and in Sun Belt. Hardaway came from Cincy. Hopefully this year plus Spring will propel Hardaway to move ahead of Phillips. If Phillips is the starter next year I may jump off the press box roof. BTW, did you see Childress and Bama's Milroe exchange long hugs/convo post game? Figure they must've attended HS together. If Childress wants to talk Milroe into a transfer to UK I'm OK with that. ;)

It’s all hot air IMO. Stoops knows he’s starting to approach some seriously unstable ground with the fanbase. His comments from the summer of ‘22 on have reeked of arrogance and pissed off many in the crowd. This season has been one of the most disappointing (based on expectation) of my lifetime as UK fan. Been going to games for over 40 years too, so I have seen a lot in that time. This ranks right with 2003 for me.

The bigger concern I have is that I don’t like this football team. They kind of act like punks and thugs and don’t back it up. They are way too cocky for a mediocre at best team. They talk a lot, take cheap shots, and then bark back when they get whipped or beat on a play.

Look, I want to beat UL like crazy… but if we lose I kind of want it to be an embarrassing beatdown for Stoops. I want him laid bare for all to see.

All changes begin with him. Time for some humility. Time to prove something again… pressure from down the road may help a bit with that!

And also, time for Big Boy TE coach to shut his yap… especially on Twitter or X. That TE room has sucked for years now!

Fact 1. South Carolina had 6 offensive linemen out
Fact 2. We are last in D-1 in number of plays run per game
Fact 3. We have been through 6 offensive coordinators and nothing has changed.
Fact 4. QB's have all day to find a receiver against our defense
Fact 5. We once played an 11 game schedule with 2 cup cakes , a Franklin led Vandy, and Louisville. During the Stoops era we play 12 including 3 Cupcakes, a pitiful Vandy, and an even worse Louisville .... so those are five wins each year. So how much better are we now than when Brooks was here making a 1/3 of the salary
Fact 6. Outside of Will Levis how many SEC quality QB's have we had during the Stoops era? And Will Levis was a transfer. Answer what QB would want to play under this system?

White is garbage...always a day late and a dollar short on adjustments...him and Yenser at an absolute bare minimum should be given hobo sticks and shown the door.

Ol' Brainfart strikes again with another dumb ass contract...he's as much to blame as anyone...he should be demoted to Volleyball and Golf team AD.
No, I love golf, don’t want to see it destroyed too!

• Haha
Reactions: CatPhight
Nothing about this offense is stoops brand of football. We barely run and we continuously go deep despite it not working.

Why are fans so reluctant to blame coen?
The deep throws are reads made by Leary and they were all open. Leary just overthrew our WRs because he doesn’t put any air under the ball on his deep throws.

We should have connected on 2 or 3 of those last night and if we had, last night would have been a blowout.

Also, I believe the comparisons to Iowa are more about offensive pace and lack of points…..and trying to protect a small lead by milking the clock instead of really trying to go down the field and score more points.

Another pointless KSR nothing burger!

What is so insightful about "after a bad season in year 11....there will be changes" They have zero insight unless it's Lemond with Dane Key.

- Stoops will be allowed to drop 1-2 assistants (like he always does after a bad season)....this is nothing new
- UK always has dudes transfer out.....and we will always get transfers in.....there is nothing newsworthy about this
- Stoops, Coen, White and Marrow are the only coaching changes that would move the pulse of this team going forward....and they will all be back IMO.

So it's nothing new that any random fan could have predicted.

The deep throws are reads made by Leary and they were all open. Leary just overthrew our WRs because he doesn’t put any air under the ball on his deep throws.

We should have connected on 2 or 3 of those last night and if we had, last night would have been a blowout.

Also, I believe the comparisons to Iowa are more about offensive pace and lack of points…..and trying to protect a small lead by milking the clock instead of really trying to go down the field and score more points.
People like to take shots at Iowa but consider: Iowa is playing in Big 10 Championship game and recently had a streak of 4 straight games where their D didn't give up a touchdown.

Reactions: TNTUK
People like to take shots at Iowa but consider: Iowa is playing in Big 10 Championship game and recently had a streak of 4 straight games where their D didn't give up a touchdown.
Yep. And Iowa has a good enough Defense that allows for their offense to milk clock/protect the lead, when they have a lead.

Unfortunately UK does not. Only time it worked for us was in 2018.

It’s all hot air IMO. Stoops knows he’s starting to approach some seriously unstable ground with the fanbase. His comments from the summer of ‘22 on have reeked of arrogance and pissed off many in the crowd. This season has been one of the most disappointing (based on expectation) of my lifetime as UK fan. Been going to games for over 40 years too, so I have seen a lot in that time. This ranks right with 2003 for me.

The bigger concern I have is that I don’t like this football team. They kind of act like punks and thugs and don’t back it up. They are way too cocky for a mediocre at best team. They talk a lot, take cheap shots, and then bark back when they get whipped or beat on a play.

Look, I want to beat UL like crazy… but if we lose I kind of want it to be an embarrassing beatdown for Stoops. I want him laid bare for all to see.

All changes begin with him. Time for some humility. Time to prove something again… pressure from down the road may help a bit with that!

And also, time for Big Boy TE coach to shut his yap… especially on Twitter or X. That TE room has sucked for years now!
Marrow is a really good recruiter, not great , but good. He’s probably an asset in the locker room and seems like a good dude.
But….he is terrible as a position coach and there’s a reason why he is not a head coach and never will be.

How’s that worked out the last two years?

The previous five seasons, there were only three teams in top 5 of total defense each of those seasons in the SEC - Alabama, Georgia, and Kentucky. I know hating on Brad White is a popular thing on this board but the results he has had over his tenure are inarguable. Not emotion but fact.

Yes, he has had a tough year this year and the above stat will end for us because of it. But give me a break. He’s a solid DC that deserves a chance to correct our flaws on that side of the ball.

They were open this game but the other 20 times this season they were not; yet we called the play for the touch anyway.

It's bad enough when you consider that is the one throw where Leary struggles. Then it gets exponentially worse when you consider who we are going to. Brown shows absolutely no ball skills and won't even leave his feat to fight for a ball. He let a bama db easily come into his space and make a pick. He is just lazy and selfish.

Now let's triple down on the bad call because you have Key who is the exact opposite, meaning he battles for balls and has great ball skills. Those shots need to go to him, to the extent we call them at all

They were open this game but the other 20 times this season they were not; yet we called the play for the touch anyway.

It's bad enough when you consider that is the one throw where Leary struggles. Then it gets exponentially worse when you consider who we are going to. Brown shows absolutely no ball skills and won't even leave his feat to fight for a ball. He let a bama db easily come into his space and make a pick. He is just lazy and selfish.

Now let's triple down on the bad call because you have Key who is the exact opposite, meaning he battles for balls and has great ball skills. Those shots need to go to him, to the extent we call them at all
Well - the topic is about this game, right? It’s not Coen’s fault that Leary and Brown couldn’t connect on open deep balls last night - that’s my point.

Unless Stoops is shown the door, it won't matter. We have been through multiple coordinators and position coaches through the years with little change in results. The fact that the HC is the problem should be abundantly clear to even Helen Keller at the point.
Come on man, have some faith. Surely, Stoops’ 7th OC hire will be the charm.

The previous five seasons, there were only three teams in top 5 of total defense each of those seasons in the SEC - Alabama, Georgia, and Kentucky. I know hating on Brad White is a popular thing on this board but the results he has had over his tenure are inarguable. Not emotion but fact.

Yes, he has had a tough year this year and the above stat will end for us because of it. But give me a break. He’s a solid DC that deserves a chance to correct our flaws on that side of the ball.
If White is so solid, he shouldn’t have so many “flaws” to correct.

The question is this, is the UK AD content with just getting bowl eligible? Or do they want to be a serious consistent contender for the SEC Championship? I know that’s high bar considering the caliber of other teams in the SEC. But if you’re not striving to be the best then what’s the point in paying Stoops $9M/yr just to be bowl eligible.

Reactions: bevcat and megablue
Well - the topic is about this game, right? It’s not Coen’s fault that Leary and Brown couldn’t connect on open deep balls last night - that’s my point.

It's absolutely his fault when we're averaging nearly 5 yards a run and we keep chucking it deep. If it was game one and we didn't know skillsets - ya maybe. We're at the end of the season and we haven't connected on one yet.

Have the patience to move the chains and the rest takes care of itself. He lacks that patience

You all are such buffoons. You just want a pound of flesh because you’re angry. That is the definition of entitlement. Stoops deserves an opportunity to turn things around and has shown he’s willing to make changes. Plus, if they beat UL (they probably won’t) but if they do, this wasn’t even a really bad season. However, assuming they lose, we’re not Alabama and never will be. 6-6 seasons happen, you just have to improve from there. If he’s 6-6 or worse next year, then those conversations need to start. However, it will be and should be at least two more years (short of a collapse next season) before a change is even considered. Those are just the facts.

When you
We can change coaches and we likely will. Stoops is never changing his methodolog.

And unless UK goes to a different conference, no changes matter anyway. We’re never going to be any more than what we are. We’re not winning the conference and will always struggle to be above .500 there. We are what we are.
When you have Card fans liking your post, you know you are on to something.

Our opponents love this mentality. It took Louisville one coaching hire to go from the cellar to the championship game.

I know, I know, it's the ACC and not the SEC.

But, regardless of conference, you will never get to the next level playing ultra conservative on offense and prevent defense in playing not to lose rather than attacking on offense and defense in an effort to actually WIN the game.

Stoops will never, ever, play that way. Until we get a coach who does, we will never know if we can move up in the conference.

You all are such buffoons. You just want a pound of flesh because you’re angry. That is the definition of entitlement. Stoops deserves an opportunity to turn things around and has shown he’s willing to make changes. Plus, if they beat UL (they probably won’t) but if they do, this wasn’t even a really bad season. However, assuming they lose, we’re not Alabama and never will be. 6-6 seasons happen, you just have to improve from there. If he’s 6-6 or worse next year, then those conversations need to start. However, it will be and should be at least two more years (short of a collapse next season) before a change is even considered. Those are just the facts.
You can’t be happy with the results on the field but if you are, you’re the buffoon.

No that’s your opinion. 6-6 happened last year too didnt it? And we had a really good team then too. You’re one of the fans that just doesn’t get it. Mediocrity is ok in your book. But not with most of us. We are tired of the Mark and Mitch shit show. This program is backsliding in the wide open world for all to see. Open your eyes and you will see it too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT