ADVERTISEMENT

Overrated

Listening to every single caller on KSR for the past two weeks call in to say, "May-ut , I caint believe how negative r fan base is bein', I mean John Cali-pear-ee has taken us to fore' final fores".

Not that I don't agree with them that the program is fine, I just think that it's annoying that EVERY SINGLE CALL has been the same for a month or so now.

And anytime Ky Joe calls in I just cringe. Matt really needs to start screening those calls.

Fight club
I know it's been claimed by hipsters and contrarians as the de-facto "cult classic" movie, but it's still an absolutely great flick. One of Pitt's best roles ever, one of Norton's best performances ever, and a role Bonham-Carter was born to play.

Mumford and Sons are my overrated band. Someone recently posted on Facebook they bought their new album a few weeks ago and it sucked, they then realized all their songs sucked and weren't sure why they ever loved them. I never did.

I love me some sappy, unrequited love songs, and I still think mumford is a little whiny pussy. Embarrassed to admit that I bought their first album.

Louie

I absolutely LOVE Louis C.K.'s stand-up, but the attempt at avant-garde 30 minute Woody Allen films every week can grow tiresome. I feel like I should like it more than I actually do enjoy it.

Louie

I absolutely LOVE Louis C.K.'s stand-up, but the attempt at avant-garde 30 minute Woody Allen films every week can grow tiresome. I feel like I should like it more than I actually do enjoy it.

I'm the opposite, I think he's a great comedian, but his stand up isn't my favorite. You can only tell so many jerking off jokes. But I think Louie is genius, and unlike anything on television right now. You have no idea how the shows gonna go from week to week. I enjoy it even when it's not funny. The Afghanistan episodes from a few seasons ago were outstanding.

Weedeaters
XM radio
How do Pearl Jam, James Taylor, The Grateful Dead etc have channels devoted to then but there is no Pink Floyd channel. I know there are probably some people here who think a lot of those 3. I know James Taylor is pretty talented, I've never heard a good song from the GD. "Black" is my favorite Pearl Jam song.

I'm the opposite, I think he's a great comedian, but his stand up isn't my favorite. You can only tell so many jerking off jokes. But I think Louie is genius, and unlike anything on television right now. You have no idea how the shows gonna go from week to week. I enjoy it even when it's not funny. The Afghanistan episodes from a few seasons ago were outstanding.

Interesting take.

I think Louie's comedy is about a lot more than just jerkoff jokes. He's the best (and least afraid) observational comic on the planet IMO.

Also, I watched the season finale of Louie with Jim Florentine and it was awesome, so...

Apple Products

Very much agree, why are there so many Apple zombies? "There is nothing like an I Phone, man!!"

Well, yes, my Samsung Galaxy also makes phone calls, texts, takes pictures, video, emails, gets internet, dropbox, etc. It may have been rocket science at one time, but not any more.

Modern "rock" has lost all of its balls, likely because of the skinny jeans:
http://www.laweekly.com/music/the-20-worst-hipster-bands-the-complete-list-2410844

There is good music to be had. You just have to look for it. Terrible take. What the hell do skinny jeans have to do with anything? I've got you pegged as a cargo short wearing redneck doofus.

Led%20Zeppelin-15.JPG

There is good music to be had. You just have to look for it. Terrible take. What the hell do skinny jeans have to do with anything? I've got you pegged as a cargo short wearing redneck doofus.

Led%20Zeppelin-15.JPG

Nice personal attack. Did I strike a nerve or something? The skinny jeans was a broad generalization meant as a joke. I'm guessing I've found one person who is male and admits to wearing them.

Given my love for metal and a strong disdain for country music and redneck culture, you've "pegged" me quite wrong. I'm more of a loose fit denim, band T-shirt, baseball cap guy if you must know.

I stand by my take. Indie rock, in my opinion, lacks balls or "crunch" A good lot of it is heavy as feathers and super pretentious. I blame Coldplay for starting the trend of neutered rock.

The Doors overrated? They opened the doors(!) to blues for me.

Hate on Morrison all you want, but the dude really didn't take himself that seriously.

And Metallica let Merle Haggard close their show. Stop being so genre-specific. There's just good music and bad. That's it. Those are the only genres.

Nice personal attack. Did I strike a nerve or something? The skinny jeans was a broad generalization meant as a joke. I'm guessing I've found one person who is male and admits to wearing them.

Given my love for metal and a strong disdain for country music and redneck culture, you've "pegged" me quite wrong. I'm more of a loose fit denim, band T-shirt, baseball cap guy if you must know.

I stand by my take. Indie rock, in my opinion, lacks balls or "crunch" A good lot of it is heavy as feathers and super pretentious. I blame Coldplay for starting the trend of neutered rock.

Interesting take. I actually have a theory that U2 is to blame (and I happen to love U2). The Edge is a wonderful guitarist for that band. But, his style has been copied, poorly IMO, by so many modern bands. Now, the electric guitar is a 'mood' instrument, creating soundscapes instead of rockin' yer ass off. Not a metal guy at all but some reverb/delay/echo/compression has made its way into the fringes of that genre and emasculated it somewhat. Add in all the male singers who are either singing falsetto or are eunuchs and there doesn't seem to be much muscle in the music anymore.

Sure, you can find good music if you look hard enough. But, that's kind of the point, isn't it? It wasn't always this difficult to find good music. There was at least a decent percentage on the radio. Now you have to surf the net or really go off the beaten track many times to find the gems. For most people, it's just too much trouble. Hence 'Bro Country' and Nickelback and all the other trash out there making tons of dough and being mistaken for 'artists'.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
Interesting take. I actually have a theory that U2 is to blame (and I happen to love U2). The Edge is a wonderful guitarist for that band. But, his style has been copied, poorly IMO, by so many modern bands. Now, the electric guitar is a 'mood' instrument, creating soundscapes instead of rockin' yer ass off. Not a metal guy at all but some reverb/delay/echo/compression has made its way into the fringes of that genre and emasculated it somewhat. Add in all the male singers who are either singing falsetto or are eunuchs and there doesn't seem to be much muscle in the music anymore.

Sure, you can find good music if you look hard enough. But, that's kind of the point, isn't it? It wasn't always this difficult to find good music. There was at least a decent percentage on the radio. Now you have to surf the net or really go off the beaten track many times to find the gems. For most people, it's just too much trouble. Hence 'Bro Country' and Nickelback and all the other trash out there making tons of dough and being mistaken for 'artists'.

Thank you for replying like an adult. Agree with your U2 take. Their 80s output is great, and that's a compliment coming from me. And that 'bro country' stuff is the worst. Nobody wants to hear a white dude rap terribly in a song about partyin' or trucks that it's obvious he didn't write.

I agree lots of good music can be found (nowhere near the radio), you just have to look for it. I know I'm a fan of a fringe genre that hasn't been "above ground" or "mainstream" since the early 90s, and just like with anything else, there's a lot of good and a lot of bad metal out there. The musicians are really good players, but I totally get that the vocals leave A LOT to be desired to most ears.

Maybe I was too hard on Indie rock. I probably should've said it isn't my cup of tea because it leans to a softer, more melodic side.

I usually find new music by checking out full albums on YouTube and will go see live bands if I have time. Some discoveries are total garbage. Others are near life-changers. There's nothing like discovering a new band whose music speaks to you.

So you're a dork. Got it.

This is how you prove you have nothing worthwhile to say. Like I would care about what some dude on the internet who gets worked up over men's fashion thinks of me.

Ohhhh. You called me a dork. You're damn right. I am a dork. I'm comfortable enough in my own skin that I don't chase trends in an effort to look like everyone else to be "cool." That ended in high school, which for me, was almost 20 years ago.

Reactions: Mossip
Why didn't you just call me a skinny jean wearing ****** and get on with your life?
Slayer's aight....

Kinda mind-blown by that U2 theory btw. Tossed around similar ideas with friends but nothing as well developed.

I dunno, it always seemed wrong to blame a talented musician for the shitty imitators that followed him/her.

Justin Bieber isn't Michael Jackson's fault. (insert pedo joke here)

Why didn't you just call me a skinny jean wearing ****** and get on with your life?
Slayer's aight....

Kinda mind-blown by that U2 theory btw. Tossed around similar ideas with friends but nothing as well developed.

It's all good, man.

That U2 thing was gamecockcat's theory, and I'd never looked at it that way, but he nailed it. Most music is derivative any way (Led Zeppelin copied some blues riffs, Slayer took a lot of their sound from hardcore punk rock, the 80s metal/rock scene borrowed from the 70s scene; the post-grunge scene copied the grunge bands and so on.)

I'm guessing you're younger than my old ass, and I'm out of touch. Besides, I'm 6-foot-2, 230. You or any other human with eyes DON'T want to see me in skinny jeans.

Skinny jeans are pretty feminine and suck imo, but I get sick of people whose clothes don't fit calling me out on my well-fitted chinos. http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=51755696&

I do see your point: good music is an easter egg these days. Back in the day, good shit could be had in the mainstream/FM format.

This thread is overrated, btw.

"Nobody wants to do what their parents did".. explains the ebb and flow of most trends. Kids in the 90's didn't want to make their parents music from the 60's and 70's. It's just the way it is.

Reactions: KidnamedKI
"Nobody wants to do what their parents did".. explains the ebb and flow of most trends. Kids in the 90's didn't want to make their parents music from the 60's and 70's. It's just the way it is.
I completely disagree.

Musically, the late 60's/early 70's is far and away the most interesting era of music, especially from a guitarists viewpoint. I would love to have been 18 yrs old in 1965.

That's fine if you disagree. The fact that EDM music even exists proves my point.

By and large, people don't like what their parents like. They will either stray from it entirely, or they might transform it into something of their own (90's alt-rock).

It's why Skiing was popular up until the 90's, and then every kid wanted to snowboard, and now it's swinging back to Skiing.

What a flaming bag of slim jim shit that guy is.

*insert link to pants*

Am I cool? Is my fit tight?

There are 2 numbers on a pair of pants. Neither one measures "skinniness".

Bob Dylan
Starbucks
John Lennon (Yoko years)
Catcher in the Rye and Moby Dick are horrible
Jaegermeister
Plain Budweiser
Sushi
Walt Jocketty
Stephen A Smith
Paul Finebaum show
Skinny models
Soccer
Golf on TV
Winter

Hipsters
James Hardens beard
Derrick Rose
Marvin Lewis
Nutella
Nike clothing
Brooks Brothers
Bob Dylan
Cracker Barrell
Applebee's
Hockey
Academia in general

Golf on TV

Disagree. If anything, golf *live* is overrated, at least on the weekends. It's a tremendous pain the ass. Sure, it's cool to see the world's greatest golfers up close, but it's not conducive to really watching the tournament. I prefer TV where I can watch the leaders without navigating thousands of people. Practice rounds and Thurs-Fri FTW. Touch the weekend.

Reactions: Get Bucket$
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT