ADVERTISEMENT

OT: “Hustle” on Netflix

He reps Kentucky Shirts all the time. He wears one in his movie “Funny People”…dunno if this post was a joke or not, but he does rep UK, even if he isn’t a fan of us…..
Define “all the time”? We all know about the one time in Funny People …since it’s been joked about and posted here several thousand times.

But I’m not aware of a single other time ever. Can you cite an example?

[/QUOTE]
Define “all the time”? We all know about the one time in Funny People …since it’s been joked about and posted here several thousand times.

Google is your friend. I have pics I took w him In New York with him wearing UK shirt. He’s a cool dude. Pic of him and Tom cruise in like 1978 too u can find

“Google is your friend” means he can’t. There is one picture of him in a Kentucky shirt.

Reactions: STL_Cat and UK90

Google is your friend. I have pics I took w him In New York with him wearing UK shirt. He’s a cool dude. Pic of him and Tom cruise in like 1978 too u can find
[/QUOTE]
So, no you can't. lol

Reactions: STL_Cat
Good movie, Uncut Gems was a more showy manic role for Sandler, but Sandler wins us over from jumpstreet as a tired and overworked background scout who wants more foreground out of life. The rags to riches story of Bo Cruz and the arc of his bromance with Sandaler is a bit by the numbers, but the basketball scenes, real players playing real players, spotlight on the underbelly of deal making, make this a must see.

Reactions: YouKay

Also, he produced the movie and chose to make the #1 overall pick being a Kentucky product. That also indicates he has a Kentucky Bias to some extent. During the Wal, Davis, Towns era you could have made the case that it just made sense bc we were the hot school. But currently if a producer was just picking based on current trendiness of top picks then it would probably have been Duke. Or he could have gave a Nod to Edwards himself and made him from Georgia and everyone would have got the subtle acknowledgment to AE.

Also, he produced the movie and chose to make the #1 overall pick being a Kentucky product.
But the film made him an asshole. The UK player was the bad guy.

Fwiw, Sandler has no writing or directing credits, so it’s unlikely that he had anything to do with a character being from UK. I’m guessin the scriptwriters picked UK simply because it’s been so closely associated with top NBA draft picks in this era.

Last edited:
Reactions: STL_Cat
We watched Hustle and thought it was a very good movie. Highly recommend to anyone who likes basketball but even people who are not big basketball fans I believe would find it enjoyable.

Just finished it, thought it was really well done. My wife even enjoyed it so definitely not for just bball fans

This one will go down as a great basketball movie. The big budget to get actual players in the film and people behind the scenes who know basketball makes it feel very authentic, one of the most authentic sports movies I’ve seen. I think at this point I prefer Sandler in serious roles more than comedy.

Also very interesting, Anthony Edwards plays Kermit Wilts, the rival of the protagonist and projected #1 pick out of the University of Kentucky.

And our very own Tyrese Maxey has a small role. Check it out, basketball fans will not be disappointed.
Wife and I just watched it...4*

Sandler tends to stick with conventions when they work. Hustle definitely has some similarities with Uncut Gems. It’s that uneasiness of the situation with no apparent resolution. Genuinely gives me anxiety. He’s good at that.

But also dude has shown to be really good at taking non actors and making them pretty good actors. It’s interesting

Also, why was Kermit Wilts such a dick and where does he fit in the list of all time great Cal recruits? TIA

But also dude has shown to be really good at taking non actors and making them pretty good actors. It’s interesting

Shouldn’t the Director be the one getting credit for this?

People here are giving Sandler too much credit. He didn’t have anything to do with writing or directing this movie. He acted in it, and his production company put up the money for it …that was the extent of his involvement.

Shouldn’t the Director be the one getting credit for this?

People here are giving Sandler too much credit. He didn’t have anything to do with writing or directing this movie. He acted in it, and his production company put up the money for it …that was the extent of his involvement.
Eh, it's a classic question. Does a writer make a good movie or do good actors make a good movie? Does a director make a good movie or does the writer make a good movie? The truth is it's kind of all of them, but to go back to what I was saying about Sandler following common patterns... his new thing is taking athletes and giving them legit roles in his movies. It works some how.

I liked it. I just wished they had maybe Kermit a Duke player; he would have been a more believable prick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT