ADVERTISEMENT

Once a Cat Always a Cat?

My personal view...

Attending UK: A Wildcat

Transferred to a lesser program(šŸƒ): Former Wildcat

Graduated and doing their own thing in the world: A Wildcat

You only have your wildcat privileges revoked temporarily when you leave for another program unless you leave on bad terms and remain on bad terms.
Dwight ā€œThe Blurrā€ Anderson not a Wildcat?

Kyle W is a Wildcat. He played on a NC team and left from what I heard at least, when Cal "advised" him to. Hardly the same circumstances as exist today

I'm mixed on this.

To me it sort of matters what the player thinks.

You go to school at UK .....even for 1 year and go to the NBA........you're a Wildcat. Period. John Wall, Anthony Davis.....Wildcats.

Transfers are a bit meh to me. Wiltjer? Yes. He always spoke highly of UK even when going to Gonzaga.

The guys that are just following Cal to Arkansas? No. Not really, They had no loyalty to the school so I have none towards them.

Z no and Adou yes. I liked Adou while he was here and kinda hated seeing him follow Cal. I think he's the kind of kid that Cal holds back. Not some shining star that can hop out of the gym and tries every now and then. A little more timid seeming but still talented enough to be a really good player. I never really follow the transfers too much but it's gonna be impossible to miss it next season.
Horrible description of Adou. Absolutely can hop out of the gym and not timid at all.

Does this same sentiment apply to last seasonā€™s kids that will now be donning a Razorback uni IYO?

B-bgMbxCIAAtL9c.jpg:large
I never subscribed to that thinking. Transfer outā€¦youā€™re out .

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
Agree.

My levels are:

TopCat - 3/4-year player who was good/great and beloved/played on good teams; the OADs who contributed to FF or title teams

MidCat - 1 year mercenacries who were a part of some OK teams who went on to the NBA; multiple year guys who never really played or contributed

BarelyCat - Transfers

NeverCat - Guys who signed/committed who never made it to campus ... or a guy who made it to campus, accepted a scholly, wore the uniform, played 0 minutes and recorded the same career UK stats as my dog.
Id say AD was part of an ok team. I know you are thinking of Kat and DBook as well.

If Adou comes out and says he loved UK but Pope's style didn't fit his game, he gets a pass.

Guys who quit mid season, transfer mid season, or suit up and never play are not wildcats imo. Everybody else is. They didnā€™t leave UK to go to U of L, Duke, KU, or UNC so Iā€™m not really upset they followed the guy they wanted to coach them. I got bigger fish to fry then being bitter towards a bunch young adults following their coach (most of them anyway).

They didnā€™t transfer out because they hate UK and so I wish them well except when they play us. I also donā€™t hold any ill will towards Cal. I said if he had the grace to leave without making us pay that buyout then I would be ok with him coming back to Rupp and possibly having a banner hung up for his title. Heā€™s not my favorite UK coach of all time but he really could have screwed us if he wanted.

If Adou comes out and says he loved UK but Pope's style didn't fit his game, he gets a pass.
The fact he followed cal which clearly doesnā€™t suit his game either would shoot that reasoning out of the water. Popes system which creates many driving lanes would have fitted Adou extremely well. Popes system also tailor made for Z, and 10 times better for him than cals, yet he goes too. Both lost cat status in my book.

LoL the former cats are gonna have their asses booed to oblivion when Arkansas comes to Rupp. Coaches and players. Z might get it worst than Cal.

• Love
Reactions: KFuqua
I absolutely agree that once a Cat, always a Cat.
Some of you are fake fans.
Enough with the Asinine fake fan comments. Just because you feel that players that turned on Kentucky and went elsewhere are still considered wildcats doesn't mean that anyone who doesn't agree is a fake fan. Those players were not here for Kentucky, or to be a Wildcat. If you want to consider them a cat, you do that, but if anyone is a fake fan in this scenario, you should probably look in the mirror. You can be a fan and not agree with you; and you can be a fan and not agree with me.

Other than while a kid, I don't know that I've ever bought into the notion that a person becomes something along the lines of a semi-hero ("always a Cat") due to the mere fact they once were on the basketball roster at UK. Is Marvin Stone always a Cat? Is Dwight Anderson always a Cat? Tom Payne played out of his mind while he was on the roster? Todd May? Chuck Aleksinas was on the 1978 national championship team? Ballenger? Ziegler? Rodrick Rhodes? Is Michael Bradley always a Cat? Legion? Sharpe? Kemp never played a minute for UK but was something else in the NBA? Will DJ Wagner always be a Cat? Big Z?

To each their own, but to me the "always a Cat" mantra is sort of silly.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT