ADVERTISEMENT

^^^Official NMS/UK game thread***

Not a super high level of competition tonight, but quite a lot to like for a season opener. I was probably most impressed that our guards seem ahead of schedule defensively. They were active and disruptive for almost the entire night and didn’t get caught out of position very often.

At least in the short term until we can get our centers healthy or eligible, rebounding is probably going to be the biggest concern, and tonight’s performance didn’t really do a lot to alleviate that, but at least the stretches where we struggled a bit on the glass didn’t seem to be from a lack of effort. Pretty encouraging start overall.

I’m not just looking at the first game though. It’s abundantly clear that:

1) he’s going to be a 30% three-point shooter at best
2) he’s prone to play hero ball
3) while he has plenty of energy and stamina, he doesn’t have quickness and can’t get by his man in a half court set

Dilly and Shepherd are far better shooters and seem to be better at getting others involved. They also play great defense.

I feel like most highly rated players are prone to number 2 tho. And while that could possibly be an issue, there's also a scenario where it's needed someone take over a game and who knows maybe he does that and wins games for us.

It's early tho. I'd give it some time before judging. We've had some pretty good freshman that have had rough starts as well.

I’m not just looking at the first game though. It’s abundantly clear that:

1) he’s going to be a 30% three-point shooter at best
2) he’s prone to play hero ball
3) while he has plenty of energy and stamina, he doesn’t have quickness and can’t get by his man in a half court set

Dilly and Shepherd are far better shooters and seem to be better at getting others involved. They also play great defense.
DJ had FOUR assists tonight. Our asst leader was Tre with FIVE.

So, point 2 is shot.

Reactions: The_Answer1313
I feel like most highly rated players are prone to number 2 tho. And while that could possibly be an issue, there's also a scenario where it's needed someone take over a game and who knows maybe he does that and wins games for us.

It's early tho. I'd give it some time before judging. We've had some pretty good freshman that have had rough starts as well.
His second point doesn't even have basis in fact, at least tonight. He had four assists, right behind Mitchell's 5.

Reactions: The_Answer1313
Very pleased with the second half performance and the overall defense. Still like to complain about the little things (hoping they don't become big things).
I DO like my team ( and will like it even better if we get some rim protectors able to play)

Reactions: Fox2monk
I like hearing it, it’s been since 2020 where we had really good vibes. Oscars first year when healthy had some nice months but this team feels like Cal’s OG squads of having fun.
This group genuinely likes each other. No drama so far.....and I don't think there will be. Hate to say it but Wheeler may have been a locker room issue.

James Madison with the dagger! Up 4 with 8 seconds left. This feels like a first round game for real. Last ranked team they beat was Cal in 1992 lol. This will be only their second all time win.

Reactions: bbncal02
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT