ADVERTISEMENT

NBA all star game : 168 threes attempted

8 points per minute. Thats the clip they scored at.
You can't do that unless there is 100% no defense at all. Literally.

You gotta work damn hard to score 8 points a minute.

The players nowadays are OVERRATED, OVERPAID, and SPOILED. Guys like Lebron, on their watch, have seen the all star game dedication to playing hard decline as SALARIES have went up.

They should put a new rule in place if you don't try as hard as you can in every game that you ever play in the NBA then you will be banned from the NBA for lack of effort after 3 infractions.

These assholes running this game nowadays are causing irreparable damage to the NBA and basketball as a whole.

Have you seen your ratings versus the NFL nowadays? Used to be a lot closer.

You'll be lucky if they dont remov all the statistics for the NBA for last 10 years in the distant future. They'll look back at this time as a disgrace! It's going over 260 points combined in some NBA games nowadays!!
Wtf. /Rant off
There was talk the NBA could overtake the NFL back in 2016. Not anymore.

I actually watched that last night (my 9 year old is seemingly obsessed with this after playing NBA 2K).

That game last night was awful not because of the insane amount of 3s. That game was awful last night because no defense gets played and people treat the game like a joke.

There's no incentive. It makes it for a very uncompetitive and uninteresting game.

All star games seem a little dated nowadays. No one is going risk an injury and it’s a glorified exhibition. I don’t think many would care/miss if they went away, and they just announced the all stars.

Rising Stars put on a much better show.
What made the Rising Stars work was putting in an all G-League team. Those guys were actually hungry and trying to prove themselves. Which made their opponents have to play harder too.

A huge difference from what we saw yesterday with the Gazillion dollar prima donna stars loafing up and down the court.

If they really want the All Stars to give some effort, maybe they ought to pit them against a G-League team.

Turned it on for a minute and watched a bunch of dudes stand around watching other dudes shoot half court shots. Turned it off and watched Forensic Files.

NBA just wants all offense. They think it draws more viewers. I myself don't like watching games if all they're doing is trading baskets.
Don't get me wrong, I like to see my team score a lot of points. But a lot of points should come from playing smothering defense too. Defense that blocks shots, and causes turnovers that turn into fast break points.
I think it's more of a flex to beat a team 80-50, than score 100+ points and only win 105-98 or if it's NBA 141-132.

Reactions: RunninRichie
NBA just wants all offense. They think it draws more viewers. I myself don't like watching games if all they're doing is trading baskets.
Don't get me wrong, I like to see my team score a lot of points. But a lot of points should come from playing smothering defense too. Defense that blocks shots, and causes turnovers that turn into fast break points.
I think it's more of a flex to beat a team 80-50, than score 100+ points and only win 105-98 or if it's NBA 141-132.
Am I the only one who thinks defense is entertaining? I love seeing a chase down block, a big steal.

Reactions: Untouchables40
Here’s an idea to flip the game on its head…make midrange shots 3 points and everything else 2.

Most players shoot a fairly low percentage from midrange even with it being the easiest shot to get. They don’t practice it.

Imagine defenses scheming to protect the midrange area and offenses scheming to get shots in that area. You can back up and shoot long twos all day. No one will even guard you. But if you want to get off a midrange three, it’s going to be a challenge.

I know it will never happen, but it would completely flip strategy and make the game much more interesting, imo.

I'm an old soul at heart.... there is no creativity now days. It's run and gun and shoot the 3 ball.

I don't want my big men shooting 3 point shots or playing fricken point guard.

I want my 90's and 00's back.... this new generation holy cow they are getting paid millions to play with their buddies it's such a joke.

Seriously they are getting to paid to joke around and put up 130+ points a night. It really is "entertainment" for them and the industry. They lost what it meant to be a competitive league.

Everyone says there is a "talent increase per generation" I call BS it's all about maximizing your money while you can now days. Who cares about trying to be the next MJ they just want the money
The sports world is ripe for another model for a sports league: one where other than a basic, average salary (75 K-ish) to live on, every thing else is performance based on a team level. Make play-offs, 20 percent bump; second round, another 10, win championship, another 10. Send all the "entertainers" to the nba; this league reserved for ballers

Reactions: DraftCat
I hate the NBA. Lebron and his fakeness just makes me sick how much I dislike him. Also Steph the chef whatever the f Curry and his mouthpiece, just wanna slap it out of his mouth.
The game is destroyed for NBA, college, now high school and middle to on down. Coaches suck, refs suck, it’s just a game and I don’t know why I still love it. Just such an abomination.

I hate the NBA. Lebron and his fakeness just makes me sick how much I dislike him. Also Steph the chef whatever the f Curry and his mouthpiece, just wanna slap it out of his mouth.
The game is destroyed for NBA, college, now high school and middle to on down. Coaches suck, refs suck, it’s just a game and I don’t know why I still love it. Just such an abomination.
Steph Curry has ruined basketball. I've disliked that dude since 2015. You got dudes pulling up for 3 on their toilets now. Basketball is ruined.

• Love
Reactions: Easternkybb
That’s not possible now. Guys are too strong & skilled offensively. They have the advantage of knowing where they’re trying to get to, more space to do it in, and more ways to finish. Guys are legit trying to guard. The offense is just that good now. Unless they change rules to help the defense, it won’t happen. And I don’t know a single professional sports league of any type that wants to hamper offense.

That’s not possible now. Guys are too strong & skilled offensively. They have the advantage of knowing where they’re trying to get to, more space to do it in, and more ways to finish. Guys are legit trying to guard. The offense is just that good now. Unless they change rules to help the defense, it won’t happen. And I don’t know a single professional sports league of any type that wants to hamper offense.
Bring back hand-checks. Rule changes need to be made. Defense is basically impossible now.

College basketball is pathetic now, teams today are nowhere good as 10 years ago. I can't stand watch it now.
There is truth to this. I often think about 2015.

Kentucky
Wisconsin
Duke
Virginia
Notre Dame
Arizona

Put any of those teams from that year into this year's field. They'd blow everyone out by 20.

Bring back hand-checks. Rule changes need to be made. Defense is basically impossible now.
They still hand check now. Constant hand on and off with grabs. I think it’s the freedom of movement with the gather and steps that make it tougher to guard. Could be a good place to start with rules.

They need to not even play at this point, he’ll play Nerf ball or something. Even after the game the players are like “we need to have deep discussions about what has to change for competitive purposes.” Half of them are like, “nah I’m not playing hard, it’s a day off and I’m not getting hurt.” No competitive spirit and the huge contracts make it impossible now. At least in the 80’s and 90’s they had a little pride and played in the 4th quarter. Now they shoot 3’s from half court and throw lobs to themselves.
Watch the 1993 or 2001 All Star Games

They played competitively in the 1st quarter

No comparison to that joke last night

Watch the 1993 or 2001 All Star Games

They played competitively in the 1st quarter

No comparison to that joke last night
I remember the old ones, it’s like last night Dame being in the same sentence as Jordan being the only two to win 2 different all star events in one weekend. Shouldn’t even count because Jordan played Defense in the all star game just like Kobe would.

I would watch soccer, if there were no goalies.
I really don't understand the game of soccer, but I don't think I've ever seen a second of the sport where every single individual om the field wasn't busting tail. Seems to be a very intense sport. And the uniforms colors and patterns are really pretty. 🤩

Here’s an idea to flip the game on its head…make midrange shots 3 points and everything else 2.

Most players shoot a fairly low percentage from midrange even with it being the easiest shot to get. They don’t practice it.

Imagine defenses scheming to protect the midrange area and offenses scheming to get shots in that area. You can back up and shoot long twos all day. No one will even guard you. But if you want to get off a midrange three, it’s going to be a challenge.

I know it will never happen, but it would completely flip strategy and make the game much more interesting, imo.
Where the shots were taken from wasn’t the point. The point is there was no defense, no plays, not even isolation moves. Just run to the line and shoot uncontested.
I am 54 and out of shape, and was slow with only a 12” vertical when I was in shape. But I could have scored 20 in that game with the defense they were playing (whereas in a real game I doubt I’d get even one shot to near the rim/backboard).

Where the shots were taken from wasn’t the point. The point is there was no defense, no plays, not even isolation moves. Just run to the line and shoot uncontested.
I am 54 and out of shape, and was slow with only a 12” vertical when I was in shape. But I could have scored 20 in that game with the defense they were playing (whereas in a real game I doubt I’d get even one shot to near the rim/backboard).
We are talking about 2 different things.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT