ADVERTISEMENT

NASCAR thread

Might be a long shot, but anyone play or heard of iRacing?
My son is into iRacing pretty heavily. He raced against Dale Jr last week. He's got this setup with the wheel, pedals, and shifter. I just built a frame to attach his tv to it.
61Lw2z6ZwuL._AC_SX522_.jpg

I grew up in South Boston, VA and NASCAR was huge, Burton brothers.

I've never understood how Jeff speaks with such a normal accent, and Ward has that Deep South accent! Loved listening to Ward, wish he had won more

Looking forward to the new season. Favorites are Daytona, Talladega, Bristol and Richmond. Rest of the races, I tape and watch about the last 50 laps. One track I've really enjoyed though is the Roval at Charlotte! Hate road courses, but I would like to see more rovals built.

Reactions: Creed Bratton
So Central Va is weird on the accents. Some have it thick and some have none at all. I have family I can barely understand.

I've never understood how Jeff speaks with such a normal accent, and Ward has that Deep South accent! Loved listening to Ward, wish he had won more

Looking forward to the new season. Favorites are Daytona, Talladega, Bristol and Richmond. Rest of the races, I tape and watch about the last 50 laps. One track I've really enjoyed though is the Roval at Charlotte! Hate road courses, but I would like to see more rovals built.
Ward's got a little more than an accent. He's got that "pronounce R like W" thing going on.

Reactions: ekywildcat
That would be awesome. Getting back to their roots for real. They added ElDora Speedway, Tony Stewart's dirt track to the circuit in the Truck Series in 13. Maybe someone should push this idea. They keep talking about ways to mix up the schedule. I also like the idea of some of the foreign exhibition races. It's just more racing for the fans. I've heard Jeff Burton suggest street racing if there's a way to do it. Wouldn't even begin to know how they'd do that in stock cars.
I’m grinning thinking about it. I’m wondering what top speeds were in sand

The blocking is out of control. It's not racing, it's demolition derby.

That was terrible.

It's not blocking when the dude is already at your rear quarter panel.

Per the last beach race, the top speed was 101.18 MPH. https://www.si.com/vault/1958/03/03/572390/still-burning-up-the-sand On the dirt track Eldora Speedway, I looked up the top speeds and saw in '19 they got up to 93.4 MPH. Would be interesting to see where the stock car would be at on sand these days. All of that sand kicking in the air, they'd have to put some wipers on the cars like we see at the tracks they've tried the rain tires at. It sure was fun racing the Daytona Beach course on the NASCAR video games for the original XBOX. It was hard to drop the speed in the turns and would plow into the field. There would be about 3 cars left by the time I was done with the race.
Having plowed into standing water before by accident...I could imagine plowing into the surf -but not at that speed

No not the first but that was a lot of carnage today. Work load just increased for those teams.

Last edited:
I lived in Ponce Inlet where the beach course was located.
Cool bar there where the north turn was located, it’s shockingly called The North Turn. They have a lot of interesting photos and items from the old course.

Pretty decent food and ice cold beer as well.

Reactions: JDHoss
So Central Va is weird on the accents. Some have it thick and some have none at all. I have family I can barely understand.

There was a PhD at work who was from Ringgold. I told him he didn't sound like he was from that area. He said he was the only member in his family that didn't have that accent, and didn't know why.

Ringgold is right between SoBo and Danville. The more prevalent accents are to the East a tad. Appomattox, FarmVille, down to south hill then over to SoNo. Pretty much everyone in Farmville & Appomattox has it thick.2nd thickest is going toward south hill/emporia (Sadler boys).

Great area of the country, actually moving back that way in a few weeks.

Ringgold is right between SoBo and Danville. The more prevalent accents are to the East a tad. Appomattox, FarmVille, down to south hill then over to SoNo. Pretty much everyone in Farmville & Appomattox has it thick.2nd thickest is going toward south hill/emporia (Sadler boys).

Great area of the country, actually moving back that way in a few weeks.

Went to Ringgold once to retrieve an electronics board that we needed from a Siemens drive that we were having repaired by a place there. Been to Appo for a football game a few years ago and spent the night in Farmville. I highly recommend the Fishin' Pig for a meal. If you go to their Sunday brunch, you'll need a designated driver....or a nap in the car before you drive off.

https://www.fishinpig.com/

I like the idea of fixed setup races. Going to look into iRacing some more and see about getting into it. I know the guy who used to make UK Hype videos used to post some races to his YouTube account. I believe he has an account here but don't know the username. People seem more serious and get held accountable about online racing there than running into the trolls of the NASCAR Heat Online racing community that make you want to just throw your controller down and quit. Running around the opposite direction or slamming you for a pass down 3 laps.

Absolutely. And if you find a good league, the racing gets even better. Plenty of good leagues that races several different cars and uses fixed setups for them. That’s the way to go if you get back into it.

My son is into iRacing pretty heavily. He raced against Dale Jr last week. He's got this setup with the wheel, pedals, and shifter. I just built a frame to attach his tv to it.
61Lw2z6ZwuL._AC_SX522_.jpg
Very nice! This is why I’ve got to get my computer moved and get back on. Dale wasn’t really all that active while I’ve been a member. The last year, though, he seems to be on there quite often.

I lived in Ponce Inlet where the beach course was located.
Cool bar there where the north turn was located, it’s shockingly called The North Turn. They have a lot of interesting photos and items from the old course.

Pretty decent food and ice cold beer as well.
Liked that restaurant. Plenty of cool stuff to see and great view while you eat. Found the food a bit pricy for what you’re buying though. If you’re a racing fan, it’s a must however.

JD, I was born in Farmville, lived there and Appo. Still have family all around. Pops coached FB at Appo and Amelia in mid to late 70s. Moved to Garden in 80 when he went to coach there. Stayed there for 6 yrs then back out to SoBo.

Moore’s country store between Lynchburg and Appo have best damn hot dogs anywhere

I like Darrell, grew up watching him and he's a Kentucky guy but I don't always feel like he gave Newman a fair shake from the beginning.

DW definitely had his favorites like Harvick, Busch and Truex. He also had others that he didn't always give credit. I never thought, based on a lot of his snarky comments, that he was a fan of Johnson. Maybe it was a little jealousy because he made a lot of those same comments about Gordon until they started working together in the booth.

The best thing I can say about Ryan Newman, I bet him $10 at 50-1 to win the Daytona 500. he won me $500.

Logano definitely blocked Kyle Bush, he even admitted it after his own team mate railed his ass for it.

Take the plates off. Speeds where way higher, but multi car crashes where way down. cars where not nearly as bunched up. It is basicly follow the leader until the final 10, then all hell breaks loose because everyone is jockeying trying to pass.

Unless more drivers take the Kesolowski approach of "if you block me I am putting you into the wall" it will only get worse up to the point that someone gets killed. I think it has been so long, with so many hard hits into the wall without any major injuries, that these guys are starting to feel invincible.

JD, I was born in Farmville, lived there and Appo. Still have family all around. Pops coached FB at Appo and Amelia in mid to late 70s. Moved to Garden in 80 when he went to coach there. Stayed there for 6 yrs then back out to SoBo.

Moore’s country store between Lynchburg and Appo have best damn hot dogs anywhere

Was Roger Rife your dad?

Now I just need to get the wheel, pedals etc to get back in. I knew that little about needing one at first when trying to join. Watched a YouTube video that broke down the minimum equipment to get started. Hoping to find a good one that could be used too on video game consoles.

Definitely some good ones out there that fill that criteria. Logitech G29 comes to mind. I believe only compatible with PS3 and PS4, though. Will run you about 300-400 depending on if you choose to also buy the H pattern shifter which unfortunately isn’t included.

Was Roger Rife your dad?

They were close friends, grew up together in Hurley. Roger was an assistant for Dad at Garden, I think he took over as HC after dad left.

Justus:grimace:, coached Joe Worley. Knew Claiborne from VaTech days and Strock from coaching HS and early Va Tech, so thats how Joe ended up at UK.

Last edited:
Unless more drivers take the Kesolowski approach of "if you block me I am putting you into the wall" it will only get worse up to the point that someone gets killed. I think it has been so long, with so many hard hits into the wall without any major injuries, that these guys are starting to feel invincible.

The problem with that is you do not just put him into the wall. You got 10-12 cars that have nothing to do with the situation that gets brought into it. Takes the plates off, let them run. Look back when Bill Elliot qualified at like 209 mph. Show me a multi car pile up ? I hate having them all bunched up, the inevitable is going to ruin a good race, not to mention there just is not any passing. It is all draft, draft, switch lanes, draft, get a run, fall back in line. Bump draft, get the guy loose, boom, 20 car pile up. Bump drafting in the corners causes about 80% of these pile ups, the other 20, trying to run 3/4 wide.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT