ADVERTISEMENT

Murray on the wing

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. When did Murray tell Cal where he would accept playing and where did Cal assure him he would only play the 1 or 2. BTW, a 2 guard is considered a "wing" player so I really don't understand your entire post. Cal has already said this is Tyler's team. He will play the 1 spot. Offensively I don't think it matters where Murray and Briscoe are. Defensively, Tyler guards the 1, Murray the 2, Briscoe the 3 (his length will allow this), Poy/Lee the 4 and Skal the 5. I think we're really going to start 3 1's and 2 4's. Call them whatever position you like, they are going to beat the crap out of people.

You are correct on this one.

Murray was asked about his position when he signed and he said that he would play whatever position Coach wanted him to play.

He said he could guard multiple positions.

He said he trusted Cal.

The interview is on YouTube if you are interested.

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. When did Murray tell Cal where he would accept playing and where did Cal assure him he would only play the 1 or 2. BTW, a 2 guard is considered a "wing" player so I really don't understand your entire post. Cal has already said this is Tyler's team. He will play the 1 spot. Offensively I don't think it matters where Murray and Briscoe are. Defensively, Tyler guards the 1, Murray the 2, Briscoe the 3 (his length will allow this), Poy/Lee the 4 and Skal the 5. I think we're really going to start 3 1's and 2 4's. Call them whatever position you like, they are going to beat the crap out of people.

Great post. And in the words of Jalen Rose, "numbering the positions was a way to help novices follow the game" Looks like we have a lot of novices on here.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
Why don't you guys get off ulismymans back. Briscoe did say that. But he was accepted by UK whether or not he knew the term. Heaven forbid someone make an unpopular but true statement on this board sometimes. Instead of focusing on Briscoes shortcomings in English class, let's focus on his hate for UL's Mitchell. I like it.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/bask...ady-has-beef-with-future-louisville-cardinal/
No one is questioning the truth of the statement. It's the fact he's questioning someone's intelligence when it appears he either can't or won't use proper spelling and grammar.

Ulis and Murray should be fine together. Poythress and Skal should be solid together. Briscoe is the question mark since it's questionable how effective he is without dominating the ball. If he just stands around and can't spread the floor there may be a better option. That's not even considering how he is defensively.

No one is questioning the truth of the statement. It's the fact he's questioning someone's intelligence when it appears he either can't or won't use proper spelling and grammar.

He mentioned a minor concern and the reaction was to attack him and his english skills. I hate the grammar police on here. This is a sports message board, not an application to Harvard. Ulsmyman doesn't have to be academically eligible to post here but it is ok for him mention a minor academic concern for one of our players, even if it is unfounded. How about we get back to the greatness that we are about to witness in our backcourt.

Have you watched any interviews that Murray has done since his commitment? In particular the interview he did right after his commitment on Canadian TV? I'm assuming that you have not since you are questioning my post. So, why don't you just go take a look at that real quick. I'm not going to go through and link everything for you but just Google it and you'll find it. In that interview, they ask Jamal what position has Cal talked to him about playing next year. Murray replies.....Ill be playing my natural position at the 1 spot. Then he says that he will gladly move over to the 2 spot in Cal wishes but he doesn't say anything about the 3 spot.

Murray has stated that he would like to play the point in college, its not like thats a secret and I actually thought it was common knowledge but I guess not. I'm not going to go link everything for you but you can gladly do a bit of research and I'm sure youll find any of this quite easily. Also, I did not say anything about Murray only ACCEPTING to play a certain position, so please don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say anything on the sort, only that he would like to play the point. Also, did not say that Cal told Murray that he would only be playing the 1 or 2 spot. You are completely twisting my words and you really need to go back and read my post.

If you want to get all technical and say "technically a 2 guard is a wing too" then OK, whatever but just so you don't get confused when talking basketball on this forum or with any other oxygen breathing human, when people use the word wing as a position, they're almost always referring to the SF position.

It will be interesting to see what Cal does with this team. Most think he will run a "3 guard" lineup with Ulis, Briscoe, and Murray but I have my doubts that will be the case but thats just my opinion based off what I have heard and read. I'm not saying that I like that or dislike it, its just what I've gathered up til now. You can agree or disagree, thats youre right. We could see Ulis, Murray, Mulder\Matthews, Poy, and Skal. Maybe even Ulis, Murray, Poythress, Lee, and Skal as the lineup he decides goes with to start. Cal likes to switch up his lineups to try and find out what all he has with a team. It will be interesting to see what he does with this team. He has several different options on the table and they all look good to me. You were right about 1 thing, we will be kicking tails this year, no matter who is on the court to start the game.

Last edited:
You are correct on this one.

Murray was asked about his position when he signed and he said that he would play whatever position Coach wanted him to play.

He said he could guard multiple positions.

He said he trusted Cal.

The interview is on YouTube if you are interested.

No, he is not correct on this one. For one, he has twisted my words from my post but whatever. Second, you're only listing the last part of his answer when he was asked about his position. Why would you only list the very last part of his answer instead of his entire answer?
When asked the question, He says he will be playing his natural position, the 1 spot. Then he says he will move to the 2 spot if needed and that he can play multiple positions on offense and defense.

No, he is not correct on this one. For one, he has twisted my words from my post but whatever. Second, you're only listing the last part of his answer when he was asked about his position. Why would you only list the very last part of his answer instead of his entire answer?
When asked the question, He says he will be playing his natural position, the 1 spot. Then he says he will move to the 2 spot if needed and that he can play multiple positions on offense and defense.

I watched the interview. The kid says he'll play the 1, which he will. Then he says that he trusts Cal and that he will play whatever position coach tells him to play. He goes on to say he can guard multiple positions.

You have to listen to everything he says, not just pick out what you want. You twisted Murray's words to make your argument.

By listening to him you can tell that he isn't too concerned with his position. If he was worried about position he would not have picked UK, since they have two other 5-star PGs.

It's positionless basketball. Murray will run the offense at times, he will be on the wing at times.

These guys play basketball, not positions on a basketball court.

Not happening IMO. I'd bet the farm that its Ulis and Murray along with Mulder and Briscoe coming off the bench. If Mulder can step up, I believe that this is what Cal would like to do. Murray does not want to play the wing and has made that clear. Cal has told him that he will be a primary guard or combo at best, you can't do that from the 3 spot.

So how do you know what Cal told him?

So, you're a novice if you use a number as a shortcut to typing out the name of the position? Really?

Seriously, that has to be one of the dumbest statements that I've ever heard.

The arrogance on here is ridiculous.

We use numbers and the terms "Guards" and "Forwards" to try to simplify a system that is a little more complex than that.

Was Rose being a little arrogant with his statement? Definitely. Rose is arrogant. But the statement is true.

I guess Cal is being arrogant by saying he is teaching positionless basketball, because he is saying basically the same thing.

Reactions: CUT-NETS
Mychal Mulder. Don't discount what he brings. Of all the guards, he may be the best athlete. And I'd say he shoots the ball at a percentage right up there with Ulis and Murray. Plus I think his three point shooting may go up from his Vincennes days due to taking more uncontested shots.

I think there may come some times when we'll say....."Wait, was that Murray or Mulder who did that?" They kinda look alike, and are the same size.

Reports coming in from pickup games are superlative about Mulder. Will that translate to real game situations? I think it will. Hope so anyway.

i understand and I'm sure Murray and Briscoe will play some pure 1, but that will be Tylers starting spot using most of the minutes. I asked where you heard that from Murray and you clarified, thanks I had not heard that. Either way, Murray will in all likelihood play most of his minutes at the 2, as will Briscoe. All three will be NBA pg's.

Reactions: UKCATSFREAK
I watched the interview. The kid says he'll play the 1, which he will. Then he says that he trusts Cal and that he will play whatever position coach tells him to play. He goes on to say he can guard multiple positions.

You have to listen to everything he says, not just pick out what you want. You twisted Murray's words to make your argument.

By listening to him you can tell that he isn't too concerned with his position. If he was worried about position he would not have picked UK, since they have two other 5-star PGs.

It's positionless basketball. Murray will run the offense at times, he will be on the wing at times.

These guys play basketball, not positions on a basketball court.

How about we wait and see what Cal does with this team before you start describing it. You act like Cal has talked about this positionless stuff for years. Everything Cal says online and in public is a calculated move and this is no different. Do you not think there was a reason for that positionless talk? Um, Jamal Murray!

You accused me of picking out what I want to make my argument? Are you serious? That's exactly what you did by only listing the very last thing he said. I dont understand what you are arguing with me about. I simply states what he said, not what I believe will happen. I dont think he will take Ulis spot as primary PG. I myself never said that I think he will be playing the PG spot all the time cause I think ULis and Murray will both run the team at times with Ulis getting more reps running the offense. I think both will be on the court together with Mulder at the SF position. That's what I think will happen. I was simply listing what Murray said, you are the one who plucked out what you wanted to make your argument and completely ignored what he said.

I just don't understand what you're arguing with me about. I think we both think the same thing will happen this year.

Last edited:
So, you're a novice if you use a number as a shortcut to typing out the name of the position? Really?

Seriously, that has to be one of the dumbest statements that I've ever heard.

The arrogance on here is ridiculous.

Haha god you're dumb

Skill sets and how they come together matter. You can't just throw any combination of players out there and expect it to work. That's not what he's talking about when he says position less basketball. We'll see what these guys are actually capable of, and if it doesn't work, we'll try something else.

Skill sets and how they come together matter. You can't just throw any combination of players out there and expect it to work. That's not what he's talking about when he says position less basketball. We'll see what these guys are actually capable of, and if it doesn't work, we'll try something else.

Exactly

I think many fans get too caught up with positions in college. In the pro game the matchups (or mismatches in particuar) are much more important because of the level of talent. The college game is much more adaptable because you rarely if ever see high level pro talent at all positions. Put the best basketball players on the court and most any team will win the game.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
Murray is going to play wherever coach wants him to play.

Label him a 1 or 2 or 3, label him a PG, SG, or SF, or whatever floats your boat.

In the end, he is a straight up baller and will be on the floor most of the time.

No one said or implied that you could.

Or at least I didn't.

It should be easy to see how having three ball dominant players in the lineup could cause issues. I think Ulis and Murray could work together. Briscoe remains to be seen.

I understand your concerns, but I am not worried.

Cal knows what he is doing.

I think many fans get too caught up with positions in college. In the pro game the matchups (or mismatches in particuar) are much more important because of the level of talent. The college game is much more adaptable because you rarely if ever see high level pro talent at all positions. Put the best basketball players on the court and most any team will win the game.

I see your point but mismatches are very important at all levels of basketball. How a team matches up with the other is crucial and can be the difference in a 2nd round loss and a National Championship. Before the tournament last year, fans and analyst alike mentioned only a few teams that were capable of beating UK because of how they matched up against our team. Its a crucial aspect of basketball at all levels. I honestly think its even more crucial in college because the NBA is full of extremely talented players at all positions that are capable of more and its less likely to present an advantageous mismatch rather than in college where the talent may be overwhelming in favor of a team or a position.
The 1, 2, and 3 spots are much more interchangeable and "positionless" than the PF and C positions. You cannot simply put any player in those positions and have success. Tyler Ulis cannot be put in the paint if you want to win a game, nor can he play any other position except the PG spot and maybe some at the SG spot. When Cal talks about "positionless", he is referring to a philosophy and playing a certain way on the court with a certain style to the offense. I dont think he is talking about not having any actual positions. You can't simply through 5 guys out on the court and expect it to succeed. If that was the case, we should just recruit the top 5 players in the class every year, regardless of positions even if they're all PGs. That's just not possible. Its a philosophy.

Does no one remember Notre Dame last year? They gave us all we could handle and 170 of the 200 total minutes in that game was played with 6'5" or shorter guys. For 10 minutes of that game, ND had no one on the floor taller than 6'5".

Do not get caught up worrying about 3-4" on the basketball court when there are other places most of ya should be worrying about that size. :)

I don't necessarily share these concerns, I just know where they are coming from and that people are over simplifying the solution. If it doesn't work, some one else will play. He's not gonna play someone if they don't give us the best chance to win.

I know im in the minority hetr and im gonna get pounded for this....but im not counting on Briscoe...he msy be academic casualty....he doesnt know what an adjective is???? How is that possible

Who cares? English is becoming a second language as we speak, lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT