ADVERTISEMENT

Murray on the wing

Wildcat134

Sophomore
Gold Member
Jan 29, 2004
From watching him the past 4 games, it seems like he will fit great on the wing. Can pull up, hit the 3, drive or dish. If Ulis can draw some D and set him up it will only increase his effectiveness. Combine that with Briscoe on the right side and I think we will have a balanced attack. Poy and Skal will have many opportunities to finish off their penetration.

Also, our fast break could be lethal with so many outlet options.

From watching him the past 4 games, it seems like he will fit great on the wing. Can pull up, hit the 3, drive or dish. If Ulis can draw some D and set him up it will only increase his effectiveness. Combine that with Briscoe on the right side and I think we will have a balanced attack. Poy and Skal will have many opportunities to finish off their penetration.

I think Briscoe would be more effective as a 2, rather than a 3. Briscoe is a big body that could set a lot of screens for Murray out on the perimeter. Being that Murray is a dominant driver with his left hand, having him come off the right wing on a screen (driving to the left) would be more effective. Plus, if he wants to shovel a little pass off to Briscoe on the roll in that scenario, being that Briscoe is a dominant mid-range scorer, that could also work out well. May even open things up for Skal and Poy on the baseline if an opposing center closes out on Briscoe at mid-range. He's a crafty passer, so he could squeeze some good bounce passes down low if he needed to. If he gets closed out on by a guard, just let him drive it a bit and kick it to either Murray or Ulis on the perimeter for an open 3.
This is a team that could be very, very good if they use screens consistently. I would also like to get Skal and Poythress involved in the way that Canada has been getting Anthony Bennett involved.

Well I am assuming the 2/3 will be interchangeable next year. 1pt, 2 perimeter players and 2 bigs.

Reactions: DY9ASTY
Well I am assuming the 2/3 will be interchangeable next year. 1pt, 2 perimeter players and 2 bigs.

I think on offense the 1,2, and 3 will be interchangeable. All 3 guys are going to be constantly handling the ball, handing it off to each other...looking for that first great scoring opportunity. Obviously on D not so much as Ulis has to guard the other team's shortest guard.

I know im in the minority hetr and im gonna get pounded for this....but im not counting on Briscoe...he msy be academic casualty....he doesnt know what an adjective is???? How is that possible

I know im in the minority hetr and im gonna get pounded for this....but im not counting on Briscoe...he msy be academic casualty....he doesnt know what an adjective is???? How is that possible

What the heck is this guy rambling about? Briscoe will be fine, and will be a lottery pick.

Reactions: Brando Mac
Nothing more childish than asking for someone to be banned....cant stand that...worry about yourself

I don't care where he plays, after watching that highlight reel, just as long as he plays, thanks again Billionth:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Not happening IMO. I'd bet the farm that its Ulis and Murray along with Mulder and Briscoe coming off the bench. If Mulder can step up, I believe that this is what Cal would like to do. Murray does not want to play the wing and has made that clear. Cal has told him that he will be a primary guard or combo at best, you can't do that from the 3 spot.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat

Jamal Murray's NBA position will be at the point. But at the college level, he is better suited for the wing because he is 1st and foremost a scorer. Kentucky fans will be shocked at how good Murray will be playing in Calipari's system.

Reactions: UKrazycat2
Jamal Murray's NBA position will be at the point. But at the college level, he is better suited for the wing because he is 1st and foremost a scorer. Kentucky fans will be shocked at how good Murray will be playing in Calipari's system.

Not us hardcore fans...we watched him in the Pan American games. He is going to dominate in Cal's system. The guy is amazing...the guy can actually create his own shot really easily, and looks good doing it! (No offense to the Harrison twins, but...they didn't look this smooth/make it look good when they did). The guy can pull up for 3's with a guy all over him, drive to the hoop at will, has great range, ball handling, vision, etc. This guy is going to be a stud. I'd be very surprised if he is not the best guard on the team by far overall, and very good chance he leads the team in scoring. Yeah...no pressure right? lol but seriously this guy is good.

Motion offense.

The three guards will rotate on the perimeter, thus the 1, 2, and 3 will be interchangeable on offense.

The only time those positions will matter is on defense.
Motion offense does not mean the players are interchangeable. The point and the wings are not interchangeable. You may feel these individual players are interchangeable, but I don't necessarily agree with that either. Ulis is a classic point player who does not have the length to play on the wing. Briscoe is actually a combo type guard who possesses elite point and wing skills. Murray is a wing player who looks to score, although he may have to play the point when he gets to the NBA. In time, we will see they are 3 different players with 3 different sets of skills.

Not us hardcore fans...we watched him in the Pan American games. He is going to dominate in Cal's system. The guy is amazing...the guy can actually create his own shot really easily, and looks good doing it! (No offense to the Harrison twins, but...they didn't look this smooth/make it look good when they did). The guy can pull up for 3's with a guy all over him, drive to the hoop at will, has great range, ball handling, vision, etc. This guy is going to be a stud. I'd be very surprised if he is not the best guard on the team by far overall, and very good chance he leads the team in scoring. Yeah...no pressure right? lol but seriously this guy is good.
I hear that. For people who have watched Murray in the Pan Am Games or in the NHS, his skills may be more familiar. You seem to be in that group. But most of our fans are mostly going by his Rivals rating. His Rivals rating is too low, because he is a reclassified Canadian player who hasn't had as much media exposure as most elite US high school players.

I hear that. For people who have watched Murray in the Pan Am Games or in the NHS, his skills may be more familiar. You seem to be in that group. But most of our fans are mostly going by his Rivals rating. His Rivals rating is too low, because he is a reclassified Canadian player who hasn't had as much media exposure as most elite US high school players.

Watched him in HS and he played just like what you guys are seeing here. I was on here trying to pump him up being nobody seemed to care.

Without me googling,, I don't know either,, lol.. Been out of school for close to 25 years,, and I absolutely hated English when I was in it. Not really sure I could have told you when I was in school?

i dont care what position any of our guys play. uk will be at its best with murray having the ball in his hands and running the team.

Motion offense does not mean the players are interchangeable. The point and the wings are not interchangeable. You may feel these individual players are interchangeable, but I don't necessarily agree with that either. Ulis is a classic point player who does not have the length to play on the wing. Briscoe is actually a combo type guard who possesses elite point and wing skills. Murray is a wing player who looks to score, although he may have to play the point when he gets to the NBA. In time, we will see they are 3 different players with 3 different sets of skills.

They can be interchangeable in a motion offense, if all the guards are skilled enough.

I know, I have coached and ran a motion offense with three guards with similar skills, though they weren't all equal.

I don't know what Cal will do, but with what he has, motion offense with interchangeable guards makes the most sense to me.

Argue if you must, but I know what I am talking about in this situation.

Reactions: brianpoe
Not sure Murray has the strength to guard SF's....Briscoe may be better there, .If reports are true that Matthews is better than some think and has looked good this summer.
so we may see this some too
Ulis ,,
Murray
Matthews
Alex
Skal

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
Not sure Murray has the strength to guard SF's....Briscoe may be better there, .If reports are true that Matthews is better than some think and has looked good this summer.
so we may see this some too
Ulis ,,
Murray
Matthews
Alex
Skal

I agree.

Briscoe is stronger than both Murray and Matthews. If we are worried about stronger guys at the 3, then Briscoe is the best bet because of his muscle.

Briscoe- 218 lbs.
Murray- 204 lbs.
Matthews- 187 lbs.

They can be interchangeable in a motion offense, if all the guards are skilled enough.

I know, I have coached and ran a motion offense with three guards with similar skills, though they weren't all equal.

I don't know what Cal will do, but with what he has, motion offense with interchangeable guards makes the most sense to me.

Dribble drive

DDMO is a four out one in system. Unless we're playing four guards, we don't have the personnel. I doubt what we see this year is that much different from what we've seen in the past. He's gonna keep it pretty simple like he always does.

DDMO is a four out one in system. Unless we're playing four guards, we don't have the personnel. I doubt what we see this year is that much different from what we've seen in the past. He's gonna keep it pretty simple like he always does.

Poythress is the key here. He needs to improve on the perimeter. He doesn't necessarily have to shoot from range, if he can knock down the 15 footer he can stretch the defense some.

And one of the complaints on Poythress is his perimeter skills playing the 3. If he is at the 4, with a bigger player on him, his ball handling skills (or lack there of) won't be as much of a liability.

Labissiere can stretch the defense as well. Might see Poythress down low some with Labissiere on the perimeter little more.

There are modifications that can be made.

I find it hard to take seriously someone complaining about someone else's grammar, when that person made, by my count, at least 14 grammatical errors in 4 sentences.

As you said, you don't know what Calipari will do. Ulis, Briscoe, Murray are 3 different players, 3 different sizes, 3 different sets of skills. They are all good players, but they aren't interchangeable. I too have a basketball background. This isn't your high school offense. This is basketball at the elite level.

Reactions: CUT-NETS
As you said, you don't know what Calipari will do. Ulis, Briscoe, Murray are 3 different players, 3 different sizes, 3 different sets of skills. They are all good players, but they aren't interchangeable. I too have a basketball background. This isn't your high school offense. This is basketball at the elite level.

Agree to disagree.

What the heck is this guy rambling about? Briscoe will be fine, and will be a lottery pick.

Bledsoe didn't come in as an academic, per se, and is making BIG $ in the NBA.
** don't take this as a Cowherd comment.

Briscoe will be just fine.

Why don't you guys get off ulismymans back. Briscoe did say that. But he was accepted by UK whether or not he knew the term. Heaven forbid someone make an unpopular but true statement on this board sometimes. Instead of focusing on Briscoes shortcomings in English class, let's focus on his hate for UL's Mitchell. I like it.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/bask...ady-has-beef-with-future-louisville-cardinal/

Not happening IMO. I'd bet the farm that its Ulis and Murray along with Mulder and Briscoe coming off the bench. If Mulder can step up, I believe that this is what Cal would like to do. Murray does not want to play the wing and has made that clear. Cal has told him that he will be a primary guard or combo at best, you can't do that from the 3 spot.

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. When did Murray tell Cal where he would accept playing and where did Cal assure him he would only play the 1 or 2. BTW, a 2 guard is considered a "wing" player so I really don't understand your entire post. Cal has already said this is Tyler's team. He will play the 1 spot. Offensively I don't think it matters where Murray and Briscoe are. Defensively, Tyler guards the 1, Murray the 2, Briscoe the 3 (his length will allow this), Poy/Lee the 4 and Skal the 5. I think we're really going to start 3 1's and 2 4's. Call them whatever position you like, they are going to beat the crap out of people.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT